Gallade (Update)

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Gallade

Well Gallade really needs an update, it still has a mix of UU Pokemon in its analysis and some of the sets are really out of date/designed for use in UU. Supermarth was going to do this, but we had a chat on IRC and he let me take it over. This is my first analysis so bare with me and tell me if anything is wrong. Also, I'm not doing any of the other sets until I get feedback from Silentecho about their viability.

[Overview]

<p>Due to stiff competition with Lucario and even Heracross, Gallade may not be the primary Fighting-type of choice for your team; however, Gallade has many interesting qualities that make him viable to fill a certain niche in your team. To differentiate himself from his Fighting-type counterparts, Gallade has access to powerful STAB Psychic moves and can run both Ice Punch and Stone Edge simultaneously, something Heracross cannot do, while Lucario rarely finds room for both. Unlike Heracross and Lucario, Gallade also has access to Trick, which allows him to cripple troublesome walls he may not be able to normally overcome.</p>

<p>However, Gallade does have some major drawbacks. Gallade's Speed is decidedly average by OU standards, meaning he is outrun and revenge killed by many Pokemon, and, unlike Lucario, does not have access to good priority moves. Gallade's Defense is also lackluster, meaning he's easy prey for powerful physical threats and priority users, such as Gyarados and Scizor, respectively. Despite these faults, Gallade is still a very powerful Pokemon in the right hands, and he is not one to be taken lightly.</p>

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: Psycho Cut
move 4: Stone Edge / Ice Punch
item: Life Orb
nature: Jolly / Adamant
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Gallade may not be a common sweeper in the OU tier due to his middling Speed, but he has the potential to rip huge holes in opposing teams. With Swords Dance boosting Jolly Gallade's Attack stat from 349 to 698, he can do incredible damage with his near-perfect type coverage and a 120 Base Power STAB attack in Close Combat. For example, after a Swords Dance, Skarmory is always OHKOed by a Life Orb Close Combat with Stealth Rock on the field, even when Gallade is running a Jolly nature.</p>

<p>By virtue of his secondary Psychic-typing, Gallade can effectively use STAB Psycho Cut to handle Ghost-types and Pokemon who resist Fighting-type moves. Furthermore, Psycho Cut can be used without fear of running into Dark-type Pokemon (the only type immune to Psychic), because they risk being maimed by a powerful Close Combat. Gallade also has access to Ice Punch, a move Heracross fails to learn, which he can use to hit Pokemon such as Celebi, Gliscor, and Zapdos for significant damage. Also, Gallade's typing gives it an advantage over Lucario when dealing with the aforementioned Pokemon, as he is not completely destroyed by their respective super effective coverage moves. Even though Ice Punch deals with all of those Pokemon, Stone Edge is still a good choice for dealing with Gyarados, who is outsped and OHKOed even after Intimidate (unless Gyarados is running a speed-boosting nature). Stone Edge also retains super effective coverage against Zapdos, but with its poor accuracy and Zapdos's Pressure and superior Speed, Zapdos can easily PP stall it with Roost.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>If you dislike Life Orb's recoil, Leftovers and Lum Berry are possible alternatives, to give Gallade more longevity. Another possible moveset Gallade can use is Swords Dance, Hypnosis, Close Combat, and Night Slash. This can potentially allow Gallade to incapacitate the opponent, set up Swords Dance, and attempt to sweep the opposing team with Psycho Cut and Close Combat, two moves that provide near-perfect coverage (resisted only by Toxicroak and Heracross). However, Gallade really likes having three attacking moves to deal with certain Pokemon, so it isn't highly recommended.</p>

<p>Night Slash can be used over Psycho Cut to hit Ghost- and Psychic-types harder, but it doesn't gain too many notable 2HKOs or OHKOs, so Psycho Cut is generally a better option. Shadow Sneak can be used for priority as well, but the only Pokemon it can OHKO after a Swords Dance are Gengar and Starmie after Stealth Rock damage. Shadow Sneak can still be useful for picking off weakened Pokemon, but Lucario outclasses him in that regard, due to his access to ExtremeSpeed.</p>

<p>Jolly is the preferred nature, as it allows you to outspeed all neutral-natured base 90 Speed Pokemon and below, such as Adamant Dragonite and Lucario. It also allows you to outspeed positive-natured Heatran, allowing you to overcome it with Close Combat. Adamant is an option for pure power, but Gallade is then outsped by some crucial Pokemon, like the aforementioned Heatran.</p>

<p>Gallade appreciates Pokemon who can spread paralysis around the opponent's team, so teammates such as Celebi and Jirachi are good partners to Gallade. Since Lucario and Gallade are so similar, you can run Swords Dance Lucario alongside this Gallade so they can weaken each other's counters and make it easier for one another to sweep. Rotom-A and Gengar can be problematic to Gallade due to their higher Speed, immunity to Close Combat, and STAB super effective Shadow Balls, so Choice Scarf Tyranitar, arguably the best Pursuit user in OU, can be used to trap and kill them; however, it's inadvisable, because Gallade will then lose 16% of his health in a turn, factoring in Life Orb recoil and sandstorm damage. Other Pursuit users to look into include Snorlax, Metagross, and Scizor.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice
move 1: Close Combat
move 2: Psycho Cut
move 3: Ice Punch / Stone Edge
move 4: Trick
item: Choice Band / Choice Scarf

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With a Choice item, Gallade can be an offensive battering ram, dealing massive damage with Close Combat, or serving as a revenge killer who can outrun Adamant Dragonite after one Dragon Dance. In general, it is better to use Choice Band rather than Choice Scarf, because the offensive power Gallade boasts is amazing. Gallade also has an advantage over Heracross in the form of Ice Punch and Psycho Cut, which allow him to take out Gliscor with good prediction, and deal decent damage to Rotom-A without resorting to Night Slash. Finally, Choiced Gallade has the advantage of being able to Trick away his Choice item when it is not wanted anymore, potentially crippling a troublesome wall.</p>

<p>Close Combat is the move Gallade should use most often, as when it's backed up by a monstrous Choice Band-boosted 523 Attack and an effective 180 Base Power factoring in STAB, even targets who resist it take heavy damage. Psycho Cut hits Ghost-types such as Rotom-A and other Pokémon who take little damage from Close Combat. Be careful against the Rotom formes, however, as Gallade hates Will-O-Wisp. The third slot, once again, is dependent on whom you would like to beat. Offensive Gyarados is always OHKOed by -1 Choice Band Stone Edge, and while it falls short against bulky Gyarados, Stone Edge also hits Zapdos harder than Ice Punch. Ice Punch, on the other hand, allows you to deal with Celebi, Dragonite, and Gliscor, and still hits Zapdos super effectively. Trick as the final move is an interesting option, as it differentiates Gallade from his fellow Fighting-type Choice Band users, and is one of the main reasons to use Gallade over Lucario.</p>

<p>Choice Scarf is still a viable item to make Gallade a decent revenge killer, but it is outclassed by Choice Band Gallade and other Choice Scarf revenge killers in general, such as Jirachi and Flygon. Choice Scarf should run the same moveset as Choice Band, but has the ability to revenge kill Adamant +1 Dragonite with a Jolly nature.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>X-Scissor is an option to hit Celebi and other bulky Psychic-types harder than the options listed, but its uses are really limited to just that. Shadow Sneak is another option that can be used to pick off weakened foes on the Choice Band set, but has almost no use on the Choice Scarf set. If you decide to use Shadow Sneak, be wary of locking yourself into it, because it can potentially turn Gallade into set-up fodder. Another option is Night Slash, which can be used to deal super effective damage to bulky Psychic- and Ghost-types.</p>

<p>Jolly is the preferred nature on both sets, but once again, Adamant is still an option if you prefer raw power over speed. On the Choice Scarf set, if you decide to run an Adamant nature, a spread of 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe is plausible, to add to Gallade's natural bulk and outspeed Choice Scarf Tyranitar and all positive base 115 Speed Pokemon, but max Speed is still useful to Speed tie with a neutral-natured +1 Dragonite. Also, if using Choice Scarf, Zen Headbutt is an option for the flinch rate, but the 10% accuracy loss generally outweighs the 20% power boost on most sets, and Gallade's mediocre Speed prevents it from abusing the flinch rate.</p>

<p>Once again, Gallade loves paralysis support (especially Choice Band variants), so any Pokemon who can provide it is his friend. Choice Band Heracross can also work nicely alongside Gallade, as they both have similar counters whom they can wear down for each other with powerful Close Combats. You should also have a good switch-in to Scizor, as he may be troublesome with his Bullet Punch and U-turn. Heatran makes a great partner in this reguard, being able to switch in on anything Scizor has besides Superpower, which Gallade resists. Magnezone can also work to eliminate Scizor, and resists all of Gallade's weaknesses.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Most Gallade sets like paralysis support because Gallade isn't particularly fast, so a Pokemon who can provide it is appreciated. Jirachi gets special mention because it covers all of Gallade's weaknesses and can abuse paralysis itself with Iron Head. Gallade also likes help from Tyranitar to trap annoying Ghosts who switch in on Close Combat, but be warned that with Life Orb and Tyranitar's Sand Stream, Gallade will lose 16% of his HP per turn. In addition, be careful of switching Tyranitar directly into Rotom-A, because it often carries Will-O-Wisp. Other good teammates for Gallade include Heracross and Lucario. They are all very similar, therefore having similar switch-ins, and so they can wear down each other's counters.</p>

<p>As with most offensive Pokemon, Gallade likes Stealth Rock, which gives him the ability to score crucial OHKOs. For example, Gallade OHKOes Skarmory with a +2 Jolly Life Orb Close Combat with Stealth Rock. Gallade also appreciates a cleric as a teammate, as his most common switch-ins are Ghost-types, all of whom have the ability to use Will-O-Wisp. Celebi gets a special mention because it can use Heal Bell to cure status and provide paralysis support. Blissey can do the same, but she generally slows down the momentum of offensive teams. Be warned that Celebi shares weaknesses with Gallade as well. Scizor can be difficult for Gallade to deal with because of his STAB Bullet Punch, which will OHKO Gallade with very little prior damage; therefore, Magnezone isn't a bad choice as a teammate, as it easily deals with Scizor, covers Gallade's weaknesses, and can provide paralysis support.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Sometimes it can be hard to find an opportunity to set up Swords Dance with Gallade, but he still hits hard, thanks to his base 125 Attack and Life Orb. Therefore, it is possible to forgo Swords Dance and simply use a coverage move in its place. Gallade has a pretty wide movepool, mostly consisting of gimmick moves and moves used better by other Pokemon, but they can be amusing when used correctly. Gallade's slow Speed can aid him when using Trick Room, and he can be a monster under it, but there are better Pokemon to set it up. Destiny Bond can be used against slower opponents if Gallade is at low health to take the opponent down with him, but he is generally too slow to make full use of it. Bulk Up can make for an effective set with investment in HP and Special Defense, bolstering Gallade's weak Defense and already amazing Attack. Earthquake and Leaf Blade are options, but Earthquake is generally outclassed by Close Combat and and a 2x super effective Leaf Blade hits just as hard as a neutral Close Combat, but has merit for demolishing Swampert.</p>

<p>Gallade gets Wish, so it is an interesting option, but it is illegal along with any Egg Moves and is outclassed by other users of Wish, such as Jirachi and Vaporeon. Hypnosis was already mentioned earlier, but it has a rather disappointing accuracy. Along with Hypnosis, Will-O-Wisp and Thunder Wave can be used to make an interesting status set. Finally, Encore is an option to attempt to get a free turn of set-up against a support Pokemon.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Gallade has no "counters" in the strictest sense of the word, as he can 2HKO every switch-in with the appropriate move. Ghost-types are the best switch-ins, as they can switch in for free against Gallade's Close Combat and hit back with super effective Shadow Ball. In particular, Rotom-A can survive Gallade's moves and cripple him with Will-O-Wisp, but it must be careful not to switch into Night Slash or Psycho Cut. Celebi laughs at anything but Ice Punch, Night Slash, or X-Scissor, and can cripple Gallade with Thunder Wave or do some damage with Leaf Storm. Gallade also hates Scizor, due to his deadly Bullet Punch.</p>

<p>Any fast physical attacker is a good choice to prey on Gallade's weak physical Defense. Gliscor also gets particular mention for being able to take anything but Ice Punch with ease, but it needs significant Attack investment and an Attack-boosting nature to OHKO Gallade with Aerial Ace. Alternatively, Gliscor's Earthquake OHKOes Gallade after a defense drop from Close Combat.</p>

One of the biggest things that sets Choice Band/Scarf Gallade apart from other such Pokemon is, as you correctly mentioned, access to Trick. I really think that it needs to be put it as the primary option in the fourth slot (with some rearranging, mind). You should also definitely get rid of the over-slashing of moves on the Choice set. I have also reversed Jolly / Adamant because unlike Lucario, Gallade cannot outspeed max investment Heatran with Adamant. Beating Heatran, one of the most-used Pokemon in the game, is absolutely critical, so it should come first for all sets. I think it should look as follows:

[set]
name: Choice
move 1: Close Combat
move 2: Psycho Cut
move 3: Stone Edge / Ice Punch
move 4: Trick
item: Choice Band / Choice Scarf

Finally, don't forget to correlate with SilentEcho on this, as it is part of his Round 3 QC Assignments. Many of the things I suggest here are in accordance with what he has posted there. As he mentions there, Shadow Sneak should be in AC for that set if a Choice Band is used.

I think for the Swords Dance set, a really big sell is Gallade's access to priority in the form of Shadow Sneak to annihilate fast Pokemon like Starmie and Gengar; it should definitely get a slash. The other big sellers are Ice Punch and Stone Edge of course. I think the set should appear as follows.

[set]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: Psycho Cut
move 4: Stone Edge / Ice Punch / Shadow Sneak
item: Life Orb

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yes, SilentEcho hasn't been on recently, but when he is I'll talk to him.

I also changed it to Trick like you suggested, but I still think Shadow Sneak deserves a slash, if any other QC members tell me to remove it though, I will.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
When I used Gallade, I used it with Stone Edge / Psycho Cut in the 3rd slot and Shadow Sneak only in the 4th. Psycho Cut takes out Rotom-A while Dusknoir's surviving a +2 LO Night Slash and WoWing it, so Night Slash doesn't matter much. The only things that Night Slash are hitting are Celebi and Cresselia, and both are easy enough to take care of. Meanwhile, Ice Punch only hits Gliscor, while Stone Edge + Shadow Sneak takes care of Gliscor also, so there's no point for Ice Punch.

Additionally, Shadow Sneak is always good to get off a last chance attack on anything, as its counters won't always be worn down.

firecape

This is the end...
I think Ice punch has merit in hitting Celebi (who is becoming more and more popular without Salamence). Also, against Gliscor in Sandstorm, Stone Edge has a disapointing accuracy of 60%, and Ice Punch is good for Zapdos who could otherwise easily waste Stone Edge's 8 PP with Pressure and Subsitute. However, with Night Slash I will agree and was disapointed by its damage output vs Psycho Cut, so I will move it to AC. As for Shadow Sneak, I already slashed it because of Rising Dusk's suggestion.

Farmer

But I don't dry tears, I just aim at them on purpose
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think Ice punch has merit in hitting Celebi (who is becoming more and more popular without Salamence). Also, against Gliscor in Sandstorm, Stone Edge has a disapointing accuracy of 60%, and Ice Punch is good for Zapdos who could otherwise easily waste Stone Edge's 8 PP with Pressure and Subsitute. However, with Night Slash I will agree and was disapointed by its damage output vs Psycho Cut, so I will move it to AC. As for Shadow Sneak, I already slashed it because of Rising Dusk's suggestion.
I don't see any reason why Shadow Sneak needs to be on the main set, without Sword Dance the move itself doesn't hit hard at all. There is only a few Pokemon commonly faster than it that can be hit for super effective, and out of those the only one that can be OHKO is Gengar, which isn't even 100 % guarantee. The whole point of banded Gallade is to hit hard and soften up teams for other Pokemon, not to revenge otherwise you would be using scarf which wouldn't even need Shadow Sneak. I don't see any point of Shadow Sneak other than situational kos, which is why its AC at best.

firecape

This is the end...
Since Echo is the one testing Gallade so I will move Shadow Sneak to AC, unless anyone has objections. I'll mention how it can be used to pick off Gengar when I do the write up. Anything else you see that needs to be changed? (and if you did it would be easier to discuss on IRC if you don't mind, but here is fine too I guess)

Why does SD gallade deserve a mention. His speed is very low for a sweeper, and he cannot beat many of his switch ins. The choice variant is much better but I assume that he would need some prediction.

One of the main reasons that SD lucario works is his impressive resistances and access to Extreme speed. Gallade works much better as a Choice bander, hitting his switch ins for major damage and breaking physical walls with his stab CC's or as a choice scarfer revenge killing. Ice punch is much better against most of Gallade's switchins like hippowdon, Gliscor and doing neutral damage to Skarmory.

firecape

This is the end...
Gallade is out classed in some ways by Lucario, but it is not totally outclassed by merit of its Psychic secondary typing. Just because a Pokemon is outclassed by another doesn't mean it shouldn't have a set on site, as long as this set differenciates somehow (which it does). In the case of Lucario, it may not get ES put 15 more Base Attack makes it a little more powerful, and it can actually take some special attacks with its 115 base SpD, even though Lucario's Steel typing is better then that I guess. Im not going to argue that its a lot better then Lucario, but they are different, therefore Gallade deserves a set on site.

edit: Also, what do you mean by it cant beat most of its switch-ins? Lucario can't beat Gliscor unless it Ice Punches on the switch, and Gallade can take an EQ and hit back.

I meant that Ice punch is almost the better option on the CB version then stone edge.

Honestly Gallade is best used as a battering ram to soften up the oponents team for something like agility Metagross or Agility Lucario. he has alot of power and his good special defence and interesting typing can Demolish common switchin.

firecape

This is the end...
I agree that it is adept at battering the opponent, but just because one set is good doesn't mean the others shouldn't be listed.

I just ran a bunch of calculations, and in the end, I agree with Echo about Shadow Sneak. I think the other options help a lot more than Shadow Sneak will, and it has pretty "meh" coverage with his STABs and barely hurts without STAB. It is nowhere near as powerful as Lucario's ExtremeSpeed, so yeah, AC sounds good for it.

Going to disagree on Shadow Sneak. Priority is always useful, whether for finishing off low HP targets or getting a parting hit on something before going down. It OHKOs Scarf Rotom-A, which 100% counters Lucario, and that should be reason enough to use Shadow Sneak. If you're going to do Stone Edge or Ice Punch, then you might as well use Luke as you're effective against the same things.

This is the reason we had bulky DD nite and ES Nite - because it did things Mence couldn't.

Give it a slash at least.

firecape

This is the end...
Im going to keep it in AC because it fails to OHKO anything but Gengar even after a SD, and it and only has 40 Base Power. Dragonites Extreme Speed has 80 Base Power, so it is hardly a good compairison. Also, Gliscor always outspeeds and OHKOs Lucario while it doesn't OHKO Gallade, and Luke doesn't have room for Ice Punch and Stone Edge. I will change it if some QC members think I should though.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Well, Shadow Sneak is one of the KEY reasons you would use Gallade over Lucario, as it's able to cover both Gengar and Scarf Rotom-A in one move is great. Lucario would have to use Bullet Punch for Gengar, meaning that it can't hit bulky Rotom-A because it doesn't have Crunch. If you're not using Shadow Sneak, then the only reason you should be using Gallade is for the non-Fighting and Ground weaknesses, and even then it's only for Gliscor because Scarftar can Crunch you for the OHKO.

Farmer

Going to disagree on Shadow Sneak. Priority is always useful, whether for finishing off low HP targets or getting a parting hit on something before going down. It OHKOs Scarf Rotom-A, which 100% counters Lucario, and that should be reason enough to use Shadow Sneak. If you're going to do Stone Edge or Ice Punch, then you might as well use Luke as you're effective against the same things.

This is the reason we had bulky DD nite and ES Nite - because it did things Mence couldn't.

Give it a slash at least.

It does not even come close to an OHKO on Scarf Rotom. Gallade unlike Lucario can actually switch in on attacks at least on the special side, it also has Trick which is enough in itself to set it apart from Lucario.

firecape

This is the end...
Marth, I will mention it in the AC for now because another reason to use Gallade over Lucario is the ability to use Psycho Cut for Rotom formes, which means if you run Swords Dance/Psycho Cut/Close Combat/Shadow Sneak bulky Psychics laugh at you, so you are forced to run Ice Punch/Stone Edge/Night Slash, and the better option is usually to run it over Shadow Sneak. You do have a valid point of it being nice to have a priority though, so I would like more opinions, and then have a final consensus, so I don't have to change it back and forth.

It does not even come close to an OHKO on Scarf Rotom. Gallade unlike Lucario can actually switch in on attacks at least on the special side, it also has Trick which is enough in itself to set it apart from Lucario.
I'd meant after a SD.

And surely with Marth's explanation, it deserves a slash. Priority is essential for a pokemon that's not exactly fast.

firecape

This is the end...
My opinion is, Shadow Sneak should be AC, because things like Starmie that are hit hard by Shadow Sneak, fail to OHKO Gallade even with LO Hydro Pump, meaning Gallade can move second and deal a more Powerful attack, usually OHKOing, it still has the same end result seeing as you will get hit by Starmie even if you have Shadow Sneak since it fails to OHKO at +2.

Shadow Sneak is good, and is probably what I would use if I were to use SD Gallade. However, AC is fine IMO, it's not a big deal.

Or

Approved (1/3)

Farmer

Shadow Sneak is good, and is probably what I would use if I were to use SD Gallade. However, AC is fine IMO, it's not a big deal.

Or

Approved (1/3)
I'm indifferent when it comes to Shadow Sneak on the Sword Dance set, I don't feel it is a necessity, but it does merit enough worth that it can be slashed.

Approved (2/3)

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I´ve reviewed the material, and I´ve liked what I´ve seen. Good job firecape01.

Or

Approved (3/3)

Moved to OU.

For Swords Dance, Lum Berry should be a recognized alternative. Most pokemon faster than Gallade are special attackers, and Gallade can actually survive a hit from them anyway. Lum Berry can give some added protection just incase smoething bad happens. In fact now that I think of it, the only faster physical attackers are going to be Flygon (needs to Outrage), Crobat (BL), Aerodactyl (resist STAB), Infernape (Resist STAB), Weavile (you survive unless its CB), and Gliscor (joke attacker). Even Jirachi if it flinches you will raise your speed. So Just want to say Gallade has some staying power and Life Orb will hurt that a bit. Still main-option worthy, but hey he has other options.

Uh, how is there no mention of Encore in this entire update? I disagree. I used an SD Gallade lead with Encore and it kicked ass, sometimes killing off almost half the opponents team. Encore also gives it an extra turn to SD/attack/whatever.

It needs to be somewhere in this analysis. Either the AC of the SD set or in OC.

firecape

This is the end...
@RL- Gallade really likes the LO because it lets it OHKO Skarmory with Jolly and a SD boost, but it deserves mention for the ability to switch into things like Blissey with ease your right.

@Thund- I disagree, because against it is really a wasted slot, and your forced to run Night Slash/Close Combat. I put Hypnosis in there because it can fully cripple the opponent. If I was putting the lead set, it would mention Encore, but the lead set seemed rather lackluster to me as you don't prevent really anything from setting up SR. I will mention it in Other Options section though because it does deserve some kind of mention.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)