Aggron (Screech)

Just messing around with Shoddy as usual, and I tried this and liked it. It wasn't really dead weight and it completely fucks over stall; that's always nice. The thing that I like about it is that it can eliminate practically everything the RP set can't. Shit like Milotic, Slowbro, and Donphan will switch into Rock Polish only to KO Aggron after surviving his hit. With this set, they don't stand a chance.

[SET]
name: Screech
move 1: Screech
move 2: Head Smash
move 3: Aqua Tail
move 4: Low Kick / Ice Punch
item: Life Orb
ability: Rock Head
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Lets start it off with the calcs.
-2 Head Smash vs. 252/252 Impish Uxie = 95.8% - 113%
-2 Head Smash vs. 252/228 Impish Tangrowth = 87.9% - 103.5%
-2 Head Smash vs. 252/252 Bold Weezing = 107.8% - 126.9%
-2 Head Smash vs. 252/252 Bold Slowbro = 97% - 114.2%
-2 Head Smash vs. 252/224 Impish Miltank = 102.3% - 120.6%
-2 Head Smash vs. 252/252 Bold Blastoise = 112.7% - 132.9%
-2 Head Smash vs. 252/0 Adamant Poliwrath = 76.8% - 90.6%
-1 Attack + -2 Head Smash vs. 252/0 Adamant Hitmontop = 64.47% - 75.99%
-2 Head Smash vs. 248/252 Bold Milotic = 120.9% - 142.2%
-2 Aqua Tail vs. 136/0 Adamant Rhyperior = 134.1% - 157.8%
-2 Aqua Tail vs. 52/204 Admant Donphan = 98.2% - 115.6%
-2 Aqua Tail vs. 252/144 Bold Claydol = 106.8% - 125.9%
-2 Low Kick vs. 252/4 Sassy Steelix = 92.7% - 109%
-2 Low Kick vs. 80/252 Impish Hariyama = 65.9% - 77.7%
-2 Ice Punch vs. 212/252 Impish Torterra = 137.5% - 162.5%

Phew. A lotta calcs. But as you can see here a lot of Aggron's normal counters will be OHKO'd by this set. Hariyama, Poliwrath, and Hitmontop can still survive a hit, while Torterra wins if you lack Ice Punch as does Steelix is you lack Low Kick.

Why this set deserves to be on-site:
-its all in the calcs, this set lets Aggron KO it's normal counters
-can eliminate entire balanced or stall teams on his own
-unpredictability
-helps ease prediction and allows you to make the appropriate attack

Additional Comments:
-allows Aggron to blow holes in teams for a Torterra or Rhyperior sweep
-substitute to block status (especially from the Regi's).
-Rock Polish can also be used over a coverage move to perform a sweep after Screech + Attack eliminates his main counter
-Entry hazards recommended since Screech encourages switches and can rack up damage

Teammates and Counters:
-a teammate to reliably take on Fighting-type threats. Uxie and Mesprit are great because they set-up SR to help Aggron get his KOes and they both can set up Screens in case Screech misses. They can also U-turn to bring him in more easily
-Scyther and Moltres to help against Fighting-types and for U-Turn support. Both enjoy Aggron's wallbreaking abilities
-general bulky water counter in case the opponent has two or sends it in on a revenge kill. Venusaur appreciates Aggrons wall breaking abilities and vice versa
-Rhyperior and Torterra great offensive teammates after Aggron has made holes in the opponent's team. They can also both easily handle the Regi's if Aggron doesn't have Low Kick / Substitute and doesn't want to be paralyzed
-countered by bulky Fighting-types like Hariyama, Poliwrath, and Hitmontop
-low Speed lets it be revenge killed easily
-teams that have two normal Aggron checks like Rhyperior + Milotic or Donphan + Slowbro, as the other can come in and take a non-Screeched hit.
-Spikes leads like Cloyster/Qwilfish/Omastar

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Hitmontop actually takes 64.47% - 75.99%. -1 Atk and -2 Def =/= -1 Def.

Anyway, can't really comment on this set apart from that since I haven't tried it, but it does look interesting, seeing as not many teams will have more than one Rock resist.

Hitmontop actually takes 64.47% - 75.99%. -1 Atk and -2 Def =/= -1 Def.

Anyway, can't really comment on this set apart from that since I haven't tried it, but it does look interesting, seeing as not many teams will have more than one Rock resist.
Ah thanks for catching that. I always get confused against Intimidate Pokes. O_o

And that's what I love about it. Either that or their Rock resist is something frail like Toxicroak or Hitmonlee.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Are you kidding me?!? I've tried out a bazillion sets, and your telling me I missed out on this gem of a set? Seriously, this set looks amazing. I'm going to get on testing this set ASAP.

@ Flashrider57
Aggron outspeeds Weezing due to him being Jolly! Weezing would need to invest an enormous amount of speed just to outspeed him.

Just one thing. I like how you put in calcs against Weezing, but I think that Weezing can actually be dangerous against Aggron, thanks to Will-o-Wisp. Not only does it lower Aggron's attack, thereby weakening the effectiveness of the set, but it causes 22.5% damage against Aggron each turn, factoring in LO recoil and Burn damage. However, Weezing would still die against this Aggron anyway, and I'm just stating my points here. This is an effective set, and it can and will sweep entire teams. Good luck with this set!

Just one thing. I like how you put in calcs against Weezing, but I think that Weezing can actually be dangerous against Aggron, thanks to Will-o-Wisp. Not only does it lower Aggron's attack, thereby weakening the effectiveness of the set, but it causes 22.5% damage against Aggron each turn, factoring in LO recoil and Burn damage. However, Weezing would still die against this Aggron anyway, and I'm just stating my points here. This is an effective set, and it can and will sweep entire teams. Good luck with this set!
The assumption is that these Pokemon are switching into Aggron thinking they can counter it, or else a lot of these pokemon could beat it by OHKOing.

breh

強いだね
What spread do most torterra run? I refuse to believe that most run adamant/impish, as that's simply idiotic to lose to CB aggron...

Assuming an ideal world in which all toterra run jolly and just enough to outspeed aggron, you're not winning with ice punch.

So I say just run Low Kick - it will always do massive damage to steelix while ice punch will only allow you to kill torterra before it kills you occasionally.

All of the reasons why it should be onsite should be changed; the main reasons (as it seems to me) should be that it eases prediction (I.E. claydol can come in on non-screech head smash and not die, but if you use screech, you always KO with a -2 aqua tail; the former requires much random guesswork to kill it with) and can kill milotic that try to outstall you with recover (sure they won't be too succesful but you will run out eventually; 8pp is not too much). It does not obtain any KOes that 2 consecutive head smashes or aqua tail don't already guarantee.

It's also countered not only by bulky fighting types but also ones that don't care about their defense... I.E. Hitmonlee, who can revenge it and come in once screech is revealed

Anyway cool set; looks weird at first but seems good; screech's poor accuracy should definitely mentioned as a big disadavantage (though admittedly, you have a lower chance of landing two head smashes than screech + head smash).

Only 15% of Torterra run Jolly while 39% run Adamant and 35% run Impish; it's gonna be a sad day for you it seems.

And I forgot to write that it helps ease prediction, good catch. That's one of the best selling points of this set, as spamming random attacks with CB isn't going to get you anywhere most of the time.

About Hitmonlee, no one is going to switch an offensive Pokemon into Aggron until AFTER Screech has been revealed, and at that point you're better off firing random attacks if you're facing a predominantly offensive team.

And I hope people realize Screech has the same accuracy as Fire Blast. It's not as unreliable as, say, Sleep Powder which everyone praises. <___<

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Thund, you really need to focus on why Screech > Substitute, because Substitute also "eases prediction" and protects you from revenge killers and status to boot.

The primary thing you should mention is "unlike the standard substitute set this is not outstalled by pokemon like milotic/slowbro who can spam instant recovery and burn head smash's meager PP".

Mention that Registeel and Regirock beat this due to Clear Body if they get in on Screech (regirock just beats it regardless of what it comes in on).

You seem to have everything else covered. I'll test this and get back to you.

Very impressive; this can OHKO some of the best physical walls in UU that are investing heavily in physical defense as well (like what the heck it can OHKO 252/252+ Weezing with physical moves!?).

Off the top of my head thoughts would be:

1. 85% accuracy is a clear drawback. It's better than Sleep Powder individually, but you're relying on Screech and Head Smash to hit in succession, which is .85 x .8 = .68 - considerably less than Sleep Powder. On the plus side, if you hit with Screech and miss with Head Smash, you still have a wall at -2 for your switch in, while if you miss with Screech you don't have to go for the Head Smash and can save Aggron.

2. A flying, fighting-resistant type with U-turn might be a good partner. It'd cover for Aggron's two 4x weaknesses and if you hit with Screech, U-turn would be boosted - or if your opponent switches, you get momentum. In addition to Uxie and Mesprit there'd also be Scyther and perhaps Moltres. I don't know, just throwing out ideas.

3. Registeel and Regirock, despite being immune to Screech, are both hit super-effective by Low Kick. If Ice Punch's only job is to hit Torterra, I think Low Kick is the superior option.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The only thing I am concerned about for this set is still what holds Aggron from offensive stardom in the first place: His Speed. Yes, you might get a Screech off on something like Hitmontop, but won't really help you if it's going to CC or Mach Punch to death anyway. Otherwise, this seems fine

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Came up against this set earlier and it did seem very effective against my balanced team, coming in for free on Swellow and putting me in a bad position. Oddly enough, the version I fought had Rock Polish in the last slot presumably to allow Aggron to attempt his own sweep after he's destroyed his own counters. Might be a little too ambitious but it sure was unexpected.

I'm just skimming over those calcs (impressive!) and wondering how much you'd miss out on if you were to use Hard Stone because Life Orb takes away from Aggrons ability to support the team with his resistances. Looks like you're missing too much though, shame.

Good set though.

Very nice set if I do say so myself even though that probably doesn't count for much. I think for a good teammate you should have wish support. Life orb is going to drain this over time and that plus hits by faster pokemon will make this less effective. If you can keep it alive with maybe a Chansey to absorb special attacks. Also, it can paralyze the other team to allow for Aggron to not only be able to go through teams, but it also won't have to worry about getting hit as much. Overall, this set appears to be pretty effective and when I faced it earlier I was shocked. The only reason it didn't wreck me is because after it killed off 2 of my pokemon I brought in my stockpile torterra that I created and it was able to wall it.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Lee I think you were playing me :) I was messing around with a dual Rock Polish + Screech set. It's cool because you can take on both defensive and more offensive teams with Screech and Rock Polish respectively. It does mean you lose out on effective coverage against Registeel by only running Head Smash + Aqua Tail, but it's been working out very effectively for me so far.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Yeah, what's cool about this set is that Registeel can't do shit to you even though it can come in on Screech and then you get to destroy it with Low Kick.

@Flare: Yes, I will emphasize that in AC. About Registeel, it's 2HKO'd by Low Kick and can't OHKO with Earthquake. Even if it comes in on Screech it still loses. Granted it can also paralyze but if you suspect that just go to Rhyperior and Torterra and have a field day (or you can take it and 2HKO if you want to set-up a Missy or something). Low Kick also has a chance to 2HKO Regirock with rocks, but he's probably more dangerous and you're better off going to another Pokemon if he comes in on Screech. I'll mention that.

@Banedon:Yes I now mentioned that U-Turn support is also provided by the pixies. I'll add in CB Scyther and Moltres, because they enjoy Milotic, Donphan, Weezing blah blah blah out of the way.

And Ice Punch may be the inferior option, but it still has to be mentioned because of Torterra's presence.

@Shrang:Even against offensive teams, this still has chances to come in on Scyther, Swellow, most Ambipom, etc....There's a mention of Rock Polish in AC if you're facing a predominantly offensive team to help Aggron sweep easier once bulky Pokemon are eliminated.

To everyone else:Thank you and I hope you all enjoy the set. ^^

Ooh cool set. There's nothing much else I can add in, but Iron Tail OHKO's both Hitmontop and Hariyama sets with minimum damage and SR+Spikes (chance of OHKOing 'Top even without hazzards). Also OHKOs Rock Polish Torterra (not the physically bulky one though). Seems like good AC material even with Iron Tail's shaky accuracy, since you have a good chance of destroying your best counter.

This set looks really good. I agree that Iron Tail deserves mentioning. Here are some calculations i made.

-2 Iron Tail vs Max def Hariyama: Min: 361 Average 391: Max: 429: 2hko,OHKO with spikes Support.

-1 Iron Tail vs Max def Hitmontop: Min:183 :Average 198: Max:216 2HKO

Those calcs look pretty good to me.

Just wanted to comment that I don't think many people will be keeping a -2 pokemon in on aggron these days. That being said, whoever is coming in will almost certainly be a little upset to be 2hko'd by head smash or whatever.

I like this set LOTS. Makin' Aggron look cool is about the coolest thing anyone can do. It makes me wonder how it might fare in OU with a little tweaking to the attacking moves...

just posting to say that some mention of its synergy with spikes users should be up, since -2 def drops will likely cause many switches.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I would mention gligar as a potential team-mate, as it can switch into choiced ground or fighting moves aimed at Aggron, set up a rock polish, then baton pass to aggron as the opponent switchs. However they do share a water weakness so not sure how well that would work, but it seems as if it would work if you elminated your opponenets water(s)poke

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Looks alright but before I test it I'd add for teammates that spikes+sr support is good to help punish opponents that think they can switch around screech.

Oh alan already posted that...um i'm emphasizing his point.

Maybe add in a mention of how this set absolutely hates Fighting type Priority moves. With the popularity of Hitmontop, Blaziken, and Hitmonlee (ironically enough, you're partly responsible for the last one), there's plenty to worry about. I know you cover bulky Fighting Type threats already, but you make no mention of the frail priority users.

EDIT: Also, T-Wave support probably deserves a mention in your comments on Uxie/Mesprit.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
You could mention that Qwilfish is an amazing partner to Aggron. They actually have decent defensive synergy, and Qwilfish can setup on Aggron's counters (Milotic, Defensive Hitmontop, Thunderbolt-less Weezing) if Screech misses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)