[Vote] Initial Gen V Banlist

Status
Not open for further replies.
As per this thread, we are holding a vote for which banlist we will begin with for Gen V. This poll is to determine which initial banlist we, as a community, will be endorsing for the beginning of Generation V. If Pokemon are banned by way of a banlist, they will remain banned for the duration of whatever Gen V suspect testing process we have. Only after we've determined the tiering of every other suspect in Gen V may the bans in this list be contested and discussed in Policy Review.

The means for that discussion and the means by which Pokemon will be suspect tested are beyond the scope of this poll. For clarification, the first banlist has no Pokemon on it.
Banlist #1 said:
Banlist #2 said:
Arceus
Dialga
Giratina
Giratina-o
Groudon
Ho-Oh
Kyogre
Lugia
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
Reshiram
Zekrom
Banlist #3 said:
Arceus
Dialga
Groudon
Kyogre
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
Banlist #4 said:
Arceus
Deoxys-s
Dialga
Giratina
Giratina-o
Groudon
Ho-oh
Kyogre
Lugia
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
Reshiram
Wobbuffet
Zekrom
Banlist #5 said:
Arceus
Darkrai
Dialga
Giratina
Giratina-o
Groudon
Ho-Oh
Kyogre
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
Reshiram
Zekrom
Votes will be processed using the Instant Runoff Voting scheme, which is why there is no poll attached to this thread. Your ballots will be tallied and scored by a script. If you are unfamiliar with IRV and want clarification, you may message me and ask questions or review the above Wikipedia link.

Read the following carefully to make sure that your vote counts. Format your votes using the following method.
Code:
[B]1st choice for banlist (Most Preferred)
2nd choice for banlist
3rd choice for banlist
4th choice for banlist
5th choice for banlist (Least Preferred)
[/B]
Any random stuff that you want to type should go under your votes.
Rules to follow so that your vote gets counted:

• The only bolded part of your vote should be the numbers at the top.
  • Editing your post is OK. The thread will be closed when the poll closes.
  • Don't actually post your ballot in CODE tags; that is merely for demonstrative purposes.
  • You must rank all entries. Do not exempt any of the banlists from your ballot.
  • Do not reply to other users' posts or discuss anything back and forth in this thread. The only posts that should be made are ballots.
Below is an example ballot that complies with all rules. This ballot does not count toward the end result of this poll.
Code:
[B]3

[/B]I strongly believe in (...) and I don't think (...). I chose (...)
for (...) reason.
The poll will run for one week and end on 11:59PM GMT-4 November 2, 2010

This is my vote, which also demonstrates what a proper ballot looks like. I support the existence of a banlist, but I do agree with those that are against it when they say that we should not ban too much. I feel that banlist #3 provides us with the bare minimum that we can get away with where no one will deny that they will eventually be banned in some form for being overpowered. That said, I also feel from personal experience playing BW that the Pokemon listed in banlist #2 are all overpowered in some manner of speaking.

After those two options, I feel that the other banlists are too expansive and would hurt the eventual BW metagame we endorse. For that reason, I support no banlist before them.

These are my thoughts. I think 5 is solid and bans any Pokemon that have historically been overpowered. If we want, we can always go back and choose suspects from ubers to test in OU, but banning the strongest Pokemon in the game seems like a logical move to develop a good OU metagame to start Generation 5.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion

I am confident enough that all of the 680+ legends will be quickly relegated to uber whatever we end up deciding, including Lugia. Wobbuffet I am very unsure on, I definitely would like to see it having a real test, and Darkrai, I am pretty sure will be uber, but I am not so dead certain I see no value in testing it.

Have a nice day.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

I seriously cannot believe only one list has Deoxys banned, and it's only one of them. >_>;

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

I wish instead of #2 and #5 we had an option that was without both Lugia and Darkrai rather than either/or so I could have put that second instead.

Banlists 5 and 2 are my preference, since I feel they aren't overly-extensive and they ban Pokemon that I am almost positive will be banned at some point in Generation 5. The banlist is meant to save time while not overzealously relegating Pokemon to Ubers, and I feel banlists 5 and 2 accomplish this. While I'd prefer to see Darkrai begin Uber based on my experiences with it in both Generation 4 and 5, I can see where the controversy for him lies, so I wouldn't mind if banlist 2 was adopted. Banlist 3 just seems so overly arbitrary to me that I'm surprised it's even here. We may as well have no banlist, and while I most certainly do not agree with that position, at least I feel it's more sensible than banlist 3.

#2 and #5 remove everything that absolutely needs to be covered, but I agree with Firestorm that it's lame that they alternate one ban and make us pick the lesser of two evils. I'd be all for #4 if it didn't include Wobbuffet (which I will not advocate under any circumstance); I also don't know why it's lacking Darkrai, since I'm supposing that to be the all inclusive list. I fail to see why #3 does not include Reshiram/Zekrom, they're more ridiculous than Dialga/Palkia. I should have spoken up in the other thread, minor tweaks to each list would make them all solid options.

Also come on pokedex listings are so much easier to comprehend than alphabetical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)