Rotom-W (Analysis)

fuck ghostbusters

[Overview]

<p>The transition to Generation V was a very strange one for Rotom-W, as its typing changed from Electric / Ghost to Electric / Water. Although this means Rotom-W has lost its job as the go-to spinblocker in standard play, its fantastic typing means it has found a new niche as a premier bulky Water. Thanks to Levitate, Rotom-W has only a single weakness to Grass-type attacks, and it can effectively counter some of the game's most prominent threats, such as Gliscor and Landorus. New toys like Volt Switch further bolster Rotom-W's abilities as a Choice Scarf or Choice Specs user, allowing it to pull off an effective hit-and-run strategy while still dealing good damage in the process. If you're looking for something that can hit hard and check a large portion of the metagame successfully, Rotom-W is an excellent Pokemon to consider.</p>

[SET]
name: Standard
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Hydro Pump
move 3: Will-O-Wisp / Hidden Power Fire
move 4: Pain Split
item: Leftovers
ability: Levitate
nature: Modest
evs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is the new Black and White standard for Rotom-W. It takes advantage of all of Rotom-W's strengths, namely its well-distributed stats, fantastic defensive and offensive typing, and Levitate. The Modest nature and Special Attack EVs mean that Rotom-W will be hitting with a ton of power; almost nothing is safe from its onslaught. Rotom-W makes one of the very best Gliscor counters thanks to Levitate, and can also reliably switch into the like of Gyarados and Jellicent thanks to its new resistance to Water-type attacks. Thunderbolt has always been a good STAB attack on Rotom-W, and thanks to its new typing, Rotom-W now receives STAB on Hydro Pump as well. Between the two, Rotom-W can hit the vast majority of the metagame for either neutral or super effective damage. Will-O-Wisp is incredibly useful for crippling Scizor and Ferrothorn, although Hidden Power Fire is an option to OHKO the former and 2HKO the latter. Hidden Power Fire is also useful to hit Grass-types, who resist Rotom-W's dual STAB, super effectively. Pain Split rounds out Rotom-W's arsenal, and takes advantage of Rotom-W's naturally low HP by granting it the ability to heal up in a pinch, albeit unreliably.</p>

<p>Max Special Attack is ideal to capitalize on Rotom-W's attacking prowess, and it allows Rotom-W to hit extremely hard with its dual STAB. With 144 Speed EVs, Rotom-W reaches a stat of 244, enough to outpace all Tyranitar, max Speed Adamant Scizor, max Speed Adamant Breloom, and most variants of Gliscor. However, since many Pokemon aim to reach 244 Speed, it may be worthwhile to invest 4 or 8 more EVs in Speed to get the jump on them. The remaining EVs are dumped into HP to bolster Rotom-W's already solid defenses. Take note that Hidden Power Fire requires Rotom-W to use an imperfect Speed IV, so if you decide to use it over Will-O-Wisp, be sure to compensate by moving 4 EVs from Hit Points to Speed. If you're looking for more bulk, feel free to put Rotom-W's Special Attack EVs into Defense and give it a Bold nature, as this will significantly increase Rotom-W's ability to take hits.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>There are a few other moves to consider when using Rotom-W. Although Will-O-Wisp and Hidden Power Fire are extremely important for dealing with the ubiquitous Scizor and Ferrothorn, Thunder Wave is a decent alternative. Rotom-W has the tendency to lure in the likes of Latios, Latias, and Virizion, all of whom despise being paralyzed. Volt Change is a good option over Thunderbolt as it allows Rotom-W to scout potential counters, although the difference in Base Power is fairly substantial and the forced switching can be disadvantageous at times. Discharge makes another decent choice, as Rotom-W appreciates the 30% chance of paralysis.</p>

<p>Although Rotom-W can hit hard and take many hits in return, several Pokemon still give it trouble. Latios and Latias are among the best switch-ins because they resist all of Rotom-W's attacks and don't really care about being burned. Blissey and Chansey are in a similar boat, and while Pain Split can be a nuisance, they can simply heal off any damage and use Toxic on Rotom-W. Grass-types like Breloom generally have little to fear if Rotom-W doesn't carry Hidden Power Fire, and even if it does, Virizion can still come in thanks to its gargantuan Special Defense. Scizor pairs extremely well with Rotom-W, as they cover each other's weakness, and Scizor can deal with Latios, Latias, Blissey, and Chansey quite handily. If Scizor invests in its Special Defense, it can also make a great Virizion counter. Specially Defensive Skarmory is also a good partner because it can absorb Choiced Draco Meteors from Latios and Latias, set up on Blissey, and reliably counter Breloom if Sleep Clause has already been activated. Although it shares Rotom-W's Grass-type weakness, Tyranitar is a useful teammate to Pursuit Latios and Latias, and can fare very well against Blissey if it carries Superpower. It also summons a permanent sandstorm with its ability, which can help Rotom-W greatly when countering Rain Dance teams.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice
move 1: Volt Switch / Thunderbolt
move 3: Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Trick
item: Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With excellent Special Attack and above-average Speed, Rotom-W makes a fine user of either Choice Scarf or Choice Specs. Volt Change is a great addition to its movepool, as it allows Rotom-W to both scout for potential counters and hit extremely hard in the process with a STAB Electric-type attack. If scouting isn't a priority, Thunderbolt is a great alternative to provide more power. Hydro Pump is Rotom-W's strongest attack and it's what separates Rotom-W from other Choiced Electric-types, as it will destroy most Ground-types trying to come in for free on Volt Change or Thunderbolt. Although most Steel-types can't keep up with Rotom-W's powerful STABs, Hidden Power Fire is the preferred third attack to handle Grass-types, particularly Ferrothorn. Hidden Power Ice can be used if you're more concerned about Hydreigon or Salamence, or if your team requires a way of revenge killing +1 Speed Dragonite. Trick lets Rotom-W cripple special walls, especially Blissey and Chansey, who would otherwise completely wall this set.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Timid nature is important on Rotom-W for a number of reasons. When equipped with a Choice Scarf, Rotom-W becomes a solid revenge killer for offensive teams, granting them useful resistances and much-appreciated Speed. Choice Scarf Rotom-W can check a huge variety of threats, including Gyarados and Dragonite after one Dragon Dance and naturally fast Pokemon like Terrakion, Starmie, and Infernape. Even with Choice Specs, Rotom-W can use a Timid nature to outpace the likes of Heatran and Nidoking.</p>

<p>Choiced Rotom-W absolutely loves Stealth Rock because Volt Change tends to cause a lot of switches. Tyranitar is perhaps the best partner to set up Stealth Rock for Rotom-W since it can also Pursuit Latios and Latias, who are the best counters to this set. Its boosted Special Defense granted in the sand also allows Tyranitar to easily take on Hydreigon, who resists everything in Rotom-W's arsenal. Having a way of dealing with Blissey and Chansey is also recommended, as they will wall Rotom-W endlessly unless you are able to Trick them. A powerful Pursuit user like Choice Band Tyranitar or Scizor is a good option, as is a Fighting-type, such as Conkeldurr, who can come in on Toxic thanks to Guts and threaten Blissey and Chansey with a powerful Drain Punch. Spikers like Skarmory and Ferrothorn make excellent teammates to Rotom-W because they have perfect synergy in terms of typing and Rotom-W loves the additional passive damage to break down its counters.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Aside from minor changes in attacks, there are a few other options for Rotom-W to consider. A bulky RestTalk set can be used for greater longevity, although Rest has become a liability this Generation due to the new sleep mechanics. Rotom-W will often find it difficult to remain in play for three turns whilst asleep due to the numerous Pokemon that can set up on it, and therefore might find itself asleep for a large portion of the match. Rotom-W can run an effective Substitute + Charge Beam set, but since it has lost its Ghost typing, Blissey and Chansey will now always beat Rotom-W one-on-one with Seismic Toss. A Life Orb can be considered for the Standard set, especially since Pain Split will enable Rotom-W to heal any sustained damage, but Rotom-W will sorely miss the recovery that Leftovers grants.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Latios, Latias, Blissey, and Chansey are the big four that will almost assuredly give Rotom-W trouble. If Rotom-W lacks Thunder Wave, Latios and Latias can come in for free on the Standard set and begin Calm Minding or threaten with a powerful Draco Meteor. Blissey and Chansey take laughable damage from any of Rotom-W's attacks and have Natural Cure to get rid of any status they sustain. In turn, they can Toxic Rotom-W to cripple it for the rest of the match or simply wear it down with Seismic Toss. Although they must be wary of Hidden Power Fire, Grass-types are also problematic for Rotom-W. Virizion in particular has great Special Defense to sponge Rotom-W's attacks, and it can either set up Calm Mind or heal up with a super effective Giga Drain. If its Toxic Orb has already been activated and Rotom-W doesn't carry Hidden Power Fire, Breloom becomes a huge problem, as it can either choose to attack or threaten with Spore. Although Will-O-Wisp will cripple it, Ferrothorn is free to set up Spikes on any Rotom-W lacking Hidden Power Fire. While Rotom-W has great coverage, it will often have problems beating Pokemon with high Special Defense, such as Deoxys-D and Umbreon, if it lacks an attack with which to hit them super effectively.</p>

Yes Rotom-W gets Sleep Talk. Rest Talk is actually pretty effective IMO and should get its own set, it's the only way it can stop Flinch Toxic Orb Gliscor from poisoning it and is the most reliable form of recovery (although Rotom-W's HP is equivalent to expired shit and gets a lot from Pain Split this way). Walling Blissey is always nice too. Maybe giving Substitute a mention?

This skeleton looks pretty good overall, but I'm surprised that you didn't even mention Thunder Wave at all in the first set. Hydro Pump scares away ground types that absorb it, and Thunder Wave is pretty much the main reason why you would use Rotom anyway as it lets it paralyze Swift Swimmers and Lati@s + other fast mons. Will-O-Wisp is much less useful with Rotom since most of the Pokemon that switch into it are fast special attackers, however I do agree that it should still have a slot since it is more effective against Sand teams and messes up Nattorei switchins. Also, when running Thunder Wave, Volt Change works wonders in place of Thunderbolt and pretty much guarantees that you will gain momentum most of the time and makes sure you aren't complete Nattorei fodder. Also, in all honesty, HP Fire is so niche that I don't even think it deserves a slash since it doesn't do much damage to Nattorei in the rain anyway and Hydro Pump Deals plenty of damage to Scizor. IMO it should be in Additional Comments. Based on my experiences with Rotom, I would make the set look like this:

[SET]
move 1: Volt Change / Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt / Volt Change
move 3: Thunder Wave / Will-O-Wisp
evs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Thunder Wave is a good move, seeing as it cripples both Birijion and Latias, two common Rotom-W switch-ins. However, I think Will-O-Wisp and Hidden Power Fire should still be the two primary options. Nattorei is the big reason for this: letting it switch in on you for free and set up a layer of Spikes / Leech Seed is far from ideal. While Hidden Power Fire is less useful under rain, Nattorei is used on far more teams than just rain, even if it is very common on rain teams. Hidden Power Fire also damages Abomasnow, Breloom, Scizor, Birjion, and Forretress. Scizor is not OHKOed by Hydro Pump (plus it has imperfect accuracy), so Swords Dance versions beat Rotom handily barring improbable circumstances.

Volt Change is a fine option, but I don't really like it because of the power drop and because Burungeru and stuff with recovery can just Recover on it. Leaning towards an AC mention; probably needs more QC input though.

So basically, I support mentions of Thunder Wave and Volt Change in additional comments.

I also think you should mention a couple of Speed benchmarks in additional comments. 128 EVs (132 w/ HP Fire) outpaces max Spe base 70s (Breloom) as well as min Spe 100s (Manaphy); 184 EVs (188) outpaces max Spe Timid Heatran.

Thunder Wave is a good move, seeing as it cripples both Birijion and Latias, two common Rotom-W switch-ins.

[...]

I also think you should mention a couple of Speed benchmarks in additional comments. 128 EVs (132 w/ HP Fire) outpaces max Spe base 70s (Breloom) as well as min Spe 100s (Manaphy); 184 EVs (188) outpaces max Spe Timid Heatran.
WOW will deal with Birijion often as not, as well.

On the subject of OO rogue moves for that last spot, random weather moves (especially whatever weather your team uses) are another possibility, because with just Pump/TBolt/PSplit the washing machine beats Hippo, Toed, and most Ninetails (NP or specs can be a problem if it has Energy Ball and it likely will), while checking most TTars. I've been playing with this, and the sequence often goes like this:

- Their weather starter is in doing whatever
- Rotom-W comes in, is immune to/shrugs off the starter's attack
- Starter switches to weather sweeper to shift Rotom, Rotom flips weather on the switch
- I bring in weather sweeper with my weather up, usually as half of a doubleswitch
- They bring their weather starter into my weather sweeper, who gets to take a poke at the starter on the switch

If they're foolish, we can repeat this cycle until dead, since it's keeping me the offensive momentum. If they're not, now they need to take out Rotom as well as my weather starter to win the weather fight, which takes a lot of the pressure off of my weather starter.

Even if you aren't running a weather team yourself, Rotom-W can pull this off, usually using Hail. I've heard of and seen people doing this with other bulky waters (Slowbro can even get the same coverage), but Rotom-W's typing/ability is about as good as you can possibly get to both switch into weather starters and make it painful for them to switch in, and it still has access to (limited) instant recovery.

If any of this makes it into the analysis, might be worth noting that Ninetails is a base 100 that often runs zero speed.

Rhys DeAnno

Slacking Off
I run the scarf set with these EVs: 112 HP/252 SpA/144 Speed (plus 4 speed if you have a bad IV) Modest

That outruns 115s and Scarftar and seriously what else is gonna be out there to outspeed, Dugtrio and Jolteon? I just dont think either is worth the large investment given the low usages of both (though if Deo-N is back next round you probably want to try to cover that).

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Everything looks good to me here, although I think that instead of enabling a slash for listing the Modest nature on the Choice set, it would be better off mentioned in AC. It is still important for Rotom-A to use that Timid nature, and as such all the emphasis should fall upon it, IMO.

QC APPROVED (1/2)

Bloo

Banned deucer.
REJECTED

Excellent work Iconic. It comes as no surprise that Rotom-W's usage skyrocketed after you posted your RMT, effectively popularizing this amazing set. I look forward to seeing the write-up.

Joking aside, I agree with everyone else here:

QC APPROVED (2/2)

I think a few more things can be explored on this guy:

Resttalk for one, as he has nice bulk and typing along with good defenses and attacks. Discharge / Hydro Pump or Thunderbolt / Hydro PUmp or Thunderbolt / Will-O-Wisp all sound good. Hell, Thunderbolt / Reflect is still good with Toxic Spikes on it.

Also, a Life Orb set is worth a look:

[SET]
name: Life Orb
move 3: Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Fire
move 4: Pain Split / Charge Beam
item: Life Orb

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I wouldn't say Rotom-W was a "counter" for Scizor, per se. Since it no longer has its resistance to Bug-type moves, with the current EV spread on the 'defensive' set, it is taking upwards of 60% from CB U-turn, which is a pretty significant amount. Scizor can also easily OHKO with Swords Dance Bug Bite, which OHKOes even without a Life Orb boost, so Rotom-W generally loses if it isn't carrying Hidden Power Fire (Hydro Pump still mauls it, I guess).

While I'd agree that Rotom-W is a good answer to Scizor in general, I wouldn't go as far as to call it a good counter. The analysis looks perfect otherwise, though.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
<iconic> fatecrashers!!!!!!
<iconic> wanna gp rotom-w
<Fatecrashers> sigh
<iconic> http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85022 YES YOU DOOOOO

nigga u gay

GP CHECK ONE

out
in

[Overview]
<p>The transition to Generation V was a very strange one for Rotom-W, as its dual typing changed from Electric / Ghost to Electric / Water. Although this means Rotom-W has lost its job as a the go-to spinblocker in standard play, its fantastic typing means it has found a new niche as a premier bulky Water. Thanks to Levitate, Rotom-W has only a single weakness to Grass-type attacks, and it can effectively counter some of the game's most prominent threats, such as Gliscor and Randorusu Landorus. New toys like Volt Change further bolster Rotom-W's abilities as a Choice Scarf or Choice Specs user, allowing it to pull off an effective hit-and-run strategy while still dealing good damage in the process. If you're looking for something that can hit hard and wall a large portion of the metagame successfully, Rotom-W is often an excellent Pokemon to consider.</p>

[SET]
evs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe

<p>This is the new Black and White standard for Rotom-W. It takes advantage of all of Rotom-W's strengths, namely its well-distributed stats, fantastic defensive and offensive typing, and Levitate ability. Thunderbolt has always been a consistently good attack on Rotom-W, and thanks to its new typing, Rotom-W now receives STAB on Hydro Pump as well; between the two, Rotom-W can hit the vast majority of the metagame for either neutral or super effective damage. with tons of power behind them too thanks to the Modest nature and Special Attack EVs The Modest nature and Special Attack EVs means that Rotom-W will be hitting with a ton of power, and almost nothing is safe from its onslaught. With Levitate, Rotom-W makes for one of the very best Gliscor counters, and it Rotom-W can also reliably switch into the like of Gyarados and Jellicent thanks to its new resistance to Water-type attacks. Will-O-Wisp is incredibly useful for crippling to cripple Scizor and Ferrothorn, although Hidden Power Fire is an option to OHKO the former and 2HKO the latter. Hidden Power Fire is also useful to hit Grass-types, who resist Rotom-W's dual STAB, super effectively. Pain Split rounds out Rotom-W's attacks arsenal, and it takes advantage of Rotom-W's naturally low Hit Points and grants it the ability to heal up in a pinch, albeit unreliably.</p>

<p>Max Special Attack is ideal to capitalize on work off Rotom-W's excellent attacking prowess, and it allows Rotom-W to hit extremely hard with its dual STAB. With 128 Speed EVs, Rotom-W reaches a stat of 240, enough to outpace max Speed Adamant Scizor and Breloom, minimum Speed Manaphy, and most variants of Gliscor. The remaining EVs are dumped into Hit Points to bolster Rotom-W's already solid defenses. Take note that Hidden Power Fire requires Rotom-W to use an imperfect Speed IV, so if you decide to use it over Will-O-Wisp, be sure to move compensate by moving 4 EVs from Hit Points to Speed. If you're looking for more bulk, feel free to put Rotom-W's Special Attack EVs into its Defense and give it a Bold nature, as this will significantly increase Rotom-W's ability to take hits.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>There are a few other moves to consider when using Rotom-W. Although Will-O-Wisp and Hidden Power Fire are extremely important for dealing with the ubiquitous Scizor and Ferrothorn, Thunder Wave is a decent alternative. Rotom-W has the tenancy tendency to lure in the likes of Latios, Latias, and Virizion, and due to their high Speed, all three of them despise being paralyzed. Volt Change is a good option over Thunderbolt to allow Rotom-W to scout potential counters, although the difference in Base Power is fairly substantial and the forced switching can be bothersome at times since it forces Rotom-W to switch. Discharge makes another decent choice, as Rotom-W can take advantage of appreciates the 30% chance of paralysis.</p>

<p>Although Rotom-W can hit hard and take many hits in return, several Pokemon still give it trouble. Latios and Latias are among the best switch-ins because they resist all of Rotom-W's attacks and don't really care that much about being burned. Blissey and Chansey are in a similar boat, and while Pain Split can be a nuisance, they can simply heal off any damage and use Toxic on Rotom-W. Grass-types like Breloom generally have little to fear if Rotom-W doesn't carry Hidden Power Fire, and even if it does, Virizion can still come in thanks to its gargantuan Special Defense. Scizor pairs extremely well with Rotom-W, as they resist each other's only weakness, and Scizor can deal with Latios, Latias, Blissey, and Chansey quite handily. If Scizor invests in its Special Defense, it can also make a great Birijion Virizion counter. Specially Defensive Skarmory is also a good partner because it can absorb Latios's and Latias's Choiced Draco Meteors, set up on Blissey, and reliably counter Breloom if Sleep Clause has already been activated. Although it shares Rotom-W's Grass-type weakness, Tyranitar is a useful teammate to Pursuit Latios and Latias, and variants with Superpower fare very well against Blissey. It also summons a permanent sandstorm with its ability, which can help Rotom-W greatly when countering Rain Dance teams.</p>

[SET]
move 1: Volt Change / Thunderbolt

<p>With excellent Special Attack and above-average Speed, Rotom-W makes a fine user of either a Choice Scarf or Choice Specs. Volt Change is a great addition to its movepool, as it allows Rotom-W to both scout for potential counters and hit extremely hard with this new STAB attack. If scouting isn't a priority, Thunderbolt is a great alternative for to provide more powerful power and consistent damage. Hydro Pump is Rotom-W's strongest attack and it's what separates Rotom-W from other Choiced Electric-types, as it will destroy most Ground-types trying to come in for free on Volt Change or Thunderbolt. Although most Steel-types can't keep up with Rotom-W's powerful STABs, Hidden Power Fire is the preferred third attack for to handle Grass-types, particularly Ferrothorn. Hidden Power Ice can be used if you're more concerned about Garchomp and Salamence, or if your team requires a way of revenge killing +1 Speed Dragonite. Trick lets Rotom-W cripple special walls, especially Blissey and Chansey, who would otherwise completely wall this set.</p>

<p>A Timid nature is important on Rotom-W for a number of reasons. When equipped with a Choice Scarf, Rotom-W becomes a solid revenge killer for offensive teams, granting them useful resistances and much-appreciated Speed. Choice Scarf Rotom-W can check a huge variety of threats, including Gyarados and Dragonite after one Dragon Dance, Blaziken after one Speed Boost, and naturally fast Pokemon like Terrakion, Starmie, and Infernape. Even with Choice Specs, Rotom-W can use a Timid nature to its advantage to outpace the likes of Heatran and Nidoking.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Choiced Rotom-W absolutely loves Stealth Rock because Rotom-W its Volt Change tends to cause a lot of switches thanks to Volt Change. Tyranitar is perhaps the best partner to set up Stealth Rock for Rotom-W since it can also Pursuit Latios and Latias, who are the best counters to this set. Its boosted Special Defense granted by Sandstream in the sand also allows Tyranitar to easily take on Hydreigon absorb Hydreigon's attacks, who resists all of Rotom-W's attacks arsenal. Having a way of dealing with Blissey and Chansey is also recommended, as they will wall Rotom-W endlessly unless you are able to Trick them. A powerful Pursuit user like Choice Band Tyranitar or Scizor is a good option, while bulky Fighting-types like Roobushin Conkeldurr can come in on Blissey's or Chansey's Toxic thanks to Guts and threaten back with a powerful Drain Punch. Spikers like Skarmory and Ferrothorn make excellent teammates to Rotom-W because they have perfect synergy and Rotom-W loves the having additional passive damage Spikes grants on to break down its counters.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Rotom-W appreciates any kind of entry hazard, whether it be Stealth Rock, Spikes, or Toxic Spikes. In particular, Choiced variants with Volt Change can abuse them extremely well, as they let Rotom-W revenge kill more easily by racking up passive damage on its counters. Toxic Spikes can also be very useful to wear for wearing down Rotom-W's archenemies Blissey and Chansey. Just about every common Spiker, such as Forretress, Skarmory, and Ferrothorn, pairs well with Rotom-W. They each have a crippling weakness to Fire-type attacks which Rotom-W resists, while Rotom-W's sole weakness to Grass-type attacks is in return covered by all three. As such, they should almost always be considered when using Rotom-W on your team.</p>

<p>Several Pokemon will consistently give Rotom-W a hard time, including Latios, Latias, Virizion, Blissey, and Chansey. As mentioned several times previously, Tyranitar makes a great partner for Rotom-W due to its ability to handily defeat Latios and Latias with Pursuit, while simultaneously threatening Blissey and Chansey with Superpower. It can also set up Stealth Rock for your team, and Rotom-W will often benefit from Tyranitar's permanent Sandstorm sandstorm, as it will help build up residual damage on Rotom-W's counters. Scizor is often considered one of Rotom-W's quintessential partners since they have great synergy and excel and at removing the other's counters. Specially Defensive Scizor with Swords Dance can set up on and KO all five of the aforementioned Pokemon (unless Latios and Latias carry Hidden Power Fire), while Rotom-W can defeat Pokemon like Gliscor and Jellicent who give Scizor problems.</p>

<p>Rotom-W's lack of a reliable recovery move means that it can benefit greatly from Wish support. Jirachi is among the best choices to pair Rotom-W with, thanks to its great typing and its ability to defeat problematic Pokemon like Latias and Latios. Blissey and Chansey can pass enormous Wishes to Rotom-W, and therefore make good partners for Rotom-W, especially on stall teams.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Aside from minor changes in attacks, there are a few other options for Rotom-W to consider. A bulky RestTalk set can be used for greater longevity, although Rest has become a liability this Generation due to the new sleep mechanics. Rotom-W will often find it difficult to remain in play for three turns whilst asleep due to the numerous Pokemon that can set up on it, and therefore might find itself asleep for a large portion of the match. Rotom-W can run an effective Substitute + Charge Beam set, but since it has lost its Ghost typing, Blissey and Chansey will now always beat Rotom-W one on one with Seismic Toss. A Life Orb can be considered for the Standard set, especially since Pain Split will enable Rotom-W to heal any sustained damage, but Rotom-W greatly makes use of will sorely miss the recovery that Leftovers grants.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Latios, Latias, Blissey, and Chansey are the big four that will almost assuredly give Rotom-W trouble. Without Thunder Wave, Latios and Latias can come in for free on the Standard set and begin Calm Minding or threaten with a powerful Draco Meteor. Blissey and Chansey take laughable damage from any of Rotom-W's attacks and have Natural Cure to get rid of any status they sustain. In turn, they can Toxic Rotom-W to cripple it for the rest of the match or simply wear it down with Seismic Toss. Although they must be weary wary of Hidden Power Fire, Grass-types are also problematic for Rotom-W. Virizion in particular has great Special Defense to sponge Rotom-W's attacks, and it can either set up Calm Mind or heal up with a super effective Giga Drain. If its Toxic Orb has already been activated and Rotom-W doesn't carry Hidden Power Fire, Breloom becomes a huge problem, as it can either choose to attack or use threaten with Spore. Although Will-O-Wisp will cripple it, if Rotom-W doesn't have Hidden Power Fire, Ferrothorn is free to set up Spikes on it any Rotom-W who doesn't carry Hidden Power Fire. While Rotom-W has great coverage, it will often have problems beating Pokemon with high Special Defense like Deoxys-D and Umbreon since it lacks an attack with which to hit them super effectively.</p>

very well-written and mostly error free imo

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
This is just a suggestion, but maybe make Choice Specs the primary option on the Choice sets? Powerful Volt Changes coming from that nice special attack hurt, and Rotom-W now can hit harder than ever with STAB Hydro Pump, so Specs seem like a stronger choice.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Rotom-W the BW staple... Incredible analysis Iconic btw, it's really good.

Uh just so this post has a point, I agree with DetroitLolcat. I found more use in Specs than Scarf, since I was spamming Volt Change most of the time.

I was on the GP team so this check is thorough, I assure you. I'll try and get someone to stamp it, since they can do that now. I <3 Rotom-W.

fuck ghostbusters

[Overview]
<p>The transition to Generation V was a very strange one for Rotom-W, as its dual typing changed from Electric / Ghost to Electric / Water. Although this means Rotom-W has lost its job as the go-to spinblocker in standard play, its fantastic new typing means it has found a new niche as a premier bulky Water. Thanks to Levitate, Rotom-W has only a single weakness to Grass-type attacks, and it can effectively counter some of the game's most prominent threats, such as Gliscor and Landorus. New toys like Volt Change further bolster Rotom-W's abilities capabilities as both a Choice Scarf or and Choice Specs user, allowing it to pull off an effective hit-and-run strategy while still dealing good damage in the process. If you're looking for something that can hit hard as well as and wall reliably check a large portion of the metagame effectively successfully, Rotom-W is often an excellent Pokemon to consider.</p>

[SET]

<p>This is the new Black and White standard for Rotom-W. It takes advantage of all of Rotom-W's strengths, namely its well-distributed stats, fantastic defensive and offensive typing, and ability, Levitate Levitate ability. The A Modest nature and 252 Special Attack EVs means that Rotom-W will be hitting with a ton of power, and ; almost nothing is safe from its onslaught. Rotom-W makes for one of the very best Gliscor counters in the game thanks to Levitate, and it can also reliably switch into the likes of Gyarados and Jellicent thanks to its new resistance to Water-type attacks. Thunderbolt has always been a consistently good STAB boosted attack on Rotom-W, and however thanks to its new typing, Rotom-W now receives STAB on Hydro Pump as well;. Between the two both of its STAB attacking types, Rotom-W can hit the vast majority of the metagame for either neutral or super effective damage. Will-O-Wisp is incredibly useful for crippling Scizor and Ferrothorn, although Hidden Power Fire is an option to OHKO the former and 2HKO the latter. Hidden Power Fire is also useful to hit Grass-types, who that resist Rotom-W's dual STAB, super effectively. Pain Split rounds out Rotom-W's arsenal, and it takes taking advantage of Rotom-W's naturally low Hit Points {Is Hit Points capitalized? I know HP is, but I wonder about that} by granting it the ability to heal up in a pinch, albeit unreliably.</p>

<p>Max Special Attack is ideal to capitalize on Rotom-W's excellent attacking prowess, and it allows Rotom-W to hit extremely hard with its dual STAB. With 128 Speed EVs, Rotom-W reaches a stat of 240, which is enough to outpace max Speed Adamant Scizor and Breloom, minimum Speed Manaphy, and along with most variants of Gliscor. The remaining EVs are dumped into Hit Points to bolster Rotom-W's already solid defenses. Take note that Hidden Power Fire requires Rotom-W to use an imperfect Speed IV, so if you decide to use it over Will-O-Wisp, be sure to compensate by moving 4 EVs from Hit Points to Speed. If you're looking for more bulk, feel free to put Rotom-W's Special Attack EVs into Defense and give it a Bold nature, as this will significantly increase Rotom-W's ability to take hits.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>There are a few other moves to consider when using Rotom-W. Although Will-O-Wisp and Hidden Power Fire are extremely important for dealing with the ubiquitous Scizor and Ferrothorn, Thunder Wave is a decent alternative. Rotom-W has the tendency to lure in the likes of Latios, Latias, and Virizion, and. All three of them despise being paralyzed. Volt Change is a good option over Thunderbolt to allow Rotom-W to scout potential counters, although the difference in Base Power is fairly substantial and the forced switching can be disadvantageous at times. Discharge makes another decent choice, as Rotom-W appreciates the 30% chance of paralysis.</p>

<p>Although Rotom-W can hit hard and take many hits in return, several Pokemon still give it trouble. Latios and Latias are among the best switch-ins because they resist all of Rotom-W's attacks and don't really care that much about being burned. Blissey and Chansey are in a similar boat, and while Pain Split can be a nuisance, they can simply heal off any damage and use Toxic on Rotom-W. Grass-types like Breloom generally have little to fear if Rotom-W doesn't carry Hidden Power Fire, and even if it does, Virizion can still come in thanks to its gargantuan Special Defense. Scizor pairs extremely well with Rotom-W, as they resist each other's only weakness, and Scizor can deal with Latios, Latias, Blissey, and Chansey quite handily. If Scizor invests in its Special Defense, it can also make a great Virizion counter. Specially Defensive Skarmory is also a good partner because it can absorb Latios's and Latias's Choiced Draco Meteors, set up on Blissey, and reliably counter Breloom if Sleep Clause has already been activated. Although it shares Rotom-W's Grass-type weakness, Tyranitar is a useful teammate to Pursuit Latios and Latias; variants with Superpower also fare very well against Blissey. It also summons a permanent sandstorm with its ability, which can help Rotom-W greatly when countering Rain Dance teams.</p>

[SET]

<p>With an excellent Special Attack and above-average Speed, Rotom-W makes a fine user of either Choice Scarf or Choice Specs. Volt Change is a great addition to its movepool, as it allows Rotom-W to both scout for potential counters and hit extremely hard in the process with this new a strong, STAB, Electric-type attack. If scouting isn't a priority, Thunderbolt is a great alternative to provide more power and consistent damage. Hydro Pump is Rotom-W's strongest attack and it's what separates Rotom-W from other Choiced Electric-types, as it will destroy most Ground-types trying to come in for free on Volt Change or Thunderbolt. Although most Steel-types can't keep up with Rotom-W's powerful STABs, Hidden Power Fire is the preferred third attack to handle Grass-types, particularly Ferrothorn. Hidden Power Ice can be used if you're more concerned about Garchomp and Salamence, or if your team requires a way of revenge killing +1 Speed Dragonite. Trick lets Rotom-W cripple special walls, especially Blissey and Chansey, who would otherwise completely wall this set.</p>

<p>A Timid nature is important on Rotom-W for a number of reasons. When equipped with a Choice Scarf, Rotom-W becomes a solid revenge killer for offensive teams, granting them useful resistances and much-appreciated Speed. Choice Scarf Rotom-W can check a huge variety of threats, including Gyarados and Dragonite after one Dragon Dance, Blaziken after one Speed Boost, and naturally fast Pokemon like Terrakion, Starmie, and Infernape. Even with Choice Specs, Rotom-W can use a Timid nature to outpace the likes of Heatran and Nidoking.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Choiced Rotom-W absolutely loves Stealth Rock because Volt Change tends to cause a lot of switches. Tyranitar is perhaps the best partner to set up Stealth Rock for Rotom-W since it can also Pursuit Latios and Latias, who are the best counters to this set. Its boosted Special Defense granted in by the sand also allows Tyranitar to easily take on Hydreigon, who resists all of everything in Rotom-W's arsenal. Having a way of dealing with Blissey and Chansey is also recommended, as they will wall Rotom-W endlessly unless you are able to Trick them. A powerful Pursuit user like Choice Band Tyranitar or Scizor is a good option, while bulky Fighting-types like Conkeldurr can come in on Blissey's or Chansey's Toxic thanks to Guts and threaten back with a powerful Drain Punch. Spikers like Skarmory and Ferrothorn make excellent teammates to Rotom-W because they have perfect synergy and Rotom-W loves the additional passive damage to break down its counters.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Rotom-W appreciates any kind of entry hazard, whether it be Stealth Rock, Spikes, or Toxic Spikes. Choiced variants with Volt Change can abuse them extremely well, as they let Rotom-W revenge kill more easily by racking up residual damage on its counters. Toxic Spikes can also be very useful for wearing down Rotom-W's archenemies Blissey and Chansey. Just about every common Spiker, such as Forretress, Skarmory, and Ferrothorn, pairs well with Rotom-W. They each have a crippling weakness to Fire-type attacks, which Rotom-W resists, while Rotom-W's sole weakness to Grass-type attacks is in return covered by all three in return. As such, Due to this, they should almost always be considered when using Rotom-W on your team.</p>

<p>Several Pokemon will consistently give Rotom-W a hard time, including Latios, Latias, Virizion, Blissey, and Chansey. As mentioned several times previously, Tyranitar makes a great partner for Rotom-W due to its ability to handily defeat Latios and Latias with Pursuit, while simultaneously threatening Blissey and Chansey with Superpower. It can also set up Stealth Rock for your team, and Rotom-W will often benefit from Tyranitar's permanent sandstorm, as it will help build up residual damage on Rotom-W's counters. Scizor is often considered one of Rotom-W's quintessential partners since they have it has great synergy and excels at removing the other's counters. Specially Defensive Scizor with Swords Dance can set up on and KO all five of the aforementioned Pokemon (unless Latios and Latias carry Hidden Power Fire), while Rotom-W can defeat Pokemon like Gliscor and Jellicent who that give Scizor problems.</p>

<p>Rotom-W's lack of a reliable recovery move means that it can benefit greatly from Wish support. Jirachi is among the best choices to pair Rotom-W with, thanks to its great typing and its ability to defeat problematic Pokemon like, such as Latias and Latios. Blissey and Chansey can pass enormous Wishes to Rotom-W, and therefore make good partners for Rotom-W, especially on stall teams.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Aside from minor changes in attacks, there are a few other options for Rotom-W to consider. A bulky RestTalk set can be used for greater longevity, although Rest has become a liability this Generation due to the new sleep mechanics. Rotom-W will often find it difficult to remain in play for three turns whilst asleep due to the numerous Pokemon that can set up on it, and therefore might find itself asleep for a large portion of the match. Rotom-W can run an effective Substitute + Charge Beam set, but since it has lost its Ghost typing, Blissey and Chansey will now always beat Rotom-W one on one with Seismic Toss. A Life Orb can be considered for the Standard set, especially since Pain Split will enable Rotom-W to heal any sustained damage, although Rotom-W will sorely miss the recovery that Leftovers grants.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Latios, Latias, Blissey, and Chansey are the big four that will almost assuredly give Rotom-W trouble. Without Thunder Wave, Latios and Latias can come in for free on the Standard set and begin Calm Minding or threaten with a powerful Draco Meteor. Blissey and Chansey take laughable damage from any of Rotom-W's attacks and have Natural Cure to get rid of any status they sustain. In turn, they can Toxic Rotom-W to cripple it for the rest of the match or simply wear it down with Seismic Toss. Although they must be wary of Hidden Power Fire, Grass-types are also problematic for Rotom-W. Virizion in particular has great Special Defense to sponge Rotom-W's attacks, and it can either set up Calm Mind or heal up with a super effective Giga Drain. If its Toxic Orb has already been activated and Rotom-W doesn't carry Hidden Power Fire, Breloom becomes a huge problem, as it can either choose to attack or threaten with Spore. Although Will-O-Wisp will cripple it, Ferrothorn is free to set up Spikes on any Rotom-W who that doesn't carry Hidden Power Fire. While Rotom-W has great coverage, it will often have problems beating Pokemon with high Special Defense like Deoxys-D and Umbreon since it lacks an attack with which to hit them super effectively.</p>

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
After some discussion on IRC we decided that some of the suggestions in this check were unnecessary, I believe jc104 is going to give this another look.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]
<p>The transition to Generation V was a very strange one for Rotom-W, as its dual typing changed from Electric / Ghost to Electric / Water. Although this means Rotom-W has lost its job as the go-to spinblocker in standard play, its fantastic typing means it has found a new niche as a premier bulky Water. Thanks to Levitate, Rotom-W has only a single weakness is weak only to Grass-type attacks, and it can effectively counter some of the game's most prominent threats, such as Gliscor and Landorus. New toys like Volt Change further bolster Rotom-W's abilities ablility as a Choice Scarf or Choice Specs user, allowing it to pull off an effective hit-and-run strategy while still dealing good damage in the process. If you're looking for something that can hit hard and wall check a large portion of the metagame successfully, Rotom-W is often an excellent Pokemon to consider.</p>

[SET]

<p>This is the new Black and White standard for Rotom-W. It takes advantage of all of Rotom-W's strengths, namely its well-distributed stats, fantastic defensive and offensive typing, and Levitate ability. The Modest nature and Special Attack EVs mean that Rotom-W will be hitting with a ton of power; , and almost nothing is safe from its onslaught. Rotom-W makes one of the very best Gliscor counters thanks to Levitate, and it can also reliably switch into the like of Gyarados and Jellicent thanks to its new resistance to Water-type attacks. Thunderbolt has always been a consistentlygood STABattack on Rotom-W, and thanks to its new typing, Rotom-W now receives STAB on Hydro Pump as well. Between the two, Rotom-W can hit the vast majority of the metagame for either neutral or super effective damage. Will-O-Wisp is incredibly useful for crippling Scizor and Ferrothorn, although Hidden Power Fire is an option to OHKO the former and 2HKO the latter. Hidden Power Fire is also useful to hit Grass-types, who resist Rotom-W's dual STAB, super effectively. Pain Split rounds out Rotom-W's arsenal, and it takes advantage of Rotom-W's naturally low Hit Points HP by granting it the ability to heal up in a pinch, albeit unreliably.</p>

<p>Max Special Attack is ideal to capitalize on Rotom-W's excellent attacking prowess, and it allows Rotom-W to hit extremely hard with its dual STAB. With 128 Speed EVs, Rotom-W reaches a stat of 240, enough to outpace max Speed Adamant Scizor and Breloom, minimum Speed Manaphy, and along with most variants of Gliscor. The remaining EVs are dumped into HP Hit Points to bolster Rotom-W's already solid defenses. Take note that Hidden Power Fire requires Rotom-W to use an imperfect Speed IV, so if you decide to use it over Will-O-Wisp, be sure to compensate by moving 4 EVs from Hit Points to Speed. If you're looking for more bulk, feel free to put Rotom-W's Special Attack EVs into Defense and give it a Bold nature, as this will significantly increase Rotom-W's ability to take hits.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>There are a few other moves to consider when using Rotom-W. Although Will-O-Wisp and Hidden Power Fire are extremely important for dealing with the ubiquitous Scizor and Ferrothorn, Thunder Wave is a decent alternative. Rotom-W has the tendency to lure in the likes of Latios, Latias, and Virizion, all of whom (or which) and all three of them despise being paralyzed. Volt Change is a good option over Thunderbolt as it to allows Rotom-W to scout potential counters, although the difference in Base Power is fairly substantial and the forced switching can be disadvantageous at times. Discharge makes another decent choice, as Rotom-W appreciates the 30% chance of paralysis.</p>

<p>Although Rotom-W can hit hard and take many hits in return, several Pokemon still give it trouble. Latios and Latias are among the best switch-ins because they resist all of Rotom-W's attacks and don't really care that much about being burned. Blissey and Chansey are in a similar boat, and while Pain Split can be a nuisance, they can simply heal off any damage and use Toxic on Rotom-W. Grass-types like Breloom generally have little to fear if Rotom-W doesn't carry Hidden Power Fire, and even if it does, Virizion can still come in thanks to its gargantuan Special Defense. Scizor pairs extremely well with Rotom-W, as they cover resist each other's only weakness, and Scizor can deal with Latios, Latias, Blissey, and Chansey quite handily. If Scizor invests in its Special Defense, it can also make a great Virizion counter. Specially Defensive Skarmory is also a good partner because it can absorb Latios's and Latias's Choiced Draco Meteors from Latios and Latias, set up on Blissey, and reliably counter Breloom if Sleep Clause has already been activated. Although it shares Rotom-W's Grass-type weakness, Tyranitar is a useful teammate to as it can Pursuit Latios and Latias, and variants with Superpower fare very well against Blissey if it carries Superpower. It also summons a permanent sandstorm with its ability, which can help Rotom-W greatly when countering Rain Dance teams.</p>

[SET]

<p>With excellent Special Attack and above-average Speed, Rotom-W makes a fine user of either Choice Scarf or Choice Specs. Volt Change is a great addition to its movepool, as it allows Rotom-W to both scout for potential counters and hit extremely hard in the process with this newaSTAB Electric-type attack. If scouting isn't a priority, Thunderbolt is a great alternative to provide more power and consistent damage. Hydro Pump is Rotom-W's strongest attack and it's what separates Rotom-W from other Choiced Electric-types, as it will destroy most Ground-types trying to come in for free on Volt Change or Thunderbolt. Although most Steel-types can't keep up with Rotom-W's powerful STABs, Hidden Power Fire is the preferred third attack to handle Grass-types, particularly Ferrothorn. Hidden Power Ice can be used if you're more concerned about Garchomp and Salamence, or if your team requires a way of revenge killing +1 Speed Dragonite. Trick lets Rotom-W cripple special walls, especially Blissey and Chansey, who would otherwise completely wall this set.</p>

<p>A Timid nature is important on Rotom-W for a number of reasons. When equipped with a Choice Scarf, Rotom-W becomes a solid revenge killer for offensive teams, granting them useful resistances and much-appreciated Speed. Choice Scarf Rotom-W can check a huge variety of threats, including Gyarados and Dragonite after one Dragon Dance, Blaziken after one Speed Boost, and naturally fast Pokemon like Terrakion, Starmie, and Infernape. Even with Choice Specs, Rotom-W can use a Timid nature to outpace the likes of Heatran and Nidoking.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Choiced Rotom-W absolutely loves Stealth Rock because Volt Change tends to cause a lot of switches. Tyranitar is perhaps the best partner to set up Stealth Rock for Rotom-W since it can also Pursuit Latios and Latias, who are the best counters to this set. Its boosted Special Defense granted in the sand also allows Tyranitar to easily take on Hydreigon, who resists all of everything in Rotom-W's arsenal. Having a way of dealing with Blissey and Chansey is also recommended, as they will wall Rotom-W endlessly unless you are able to Trick them. A powerful Pursuit user like Choice Band Tyranitar or Scizor is a good option, while bulky Fighting-types like as is a Fighting-type, such as Conkeldurr, who can come in on Blissey's or Chansey's Toxic thanks to Guts and threaten Blissey or Chansey back with a powerful Drain Punch. Spikers like Skarmory and Ferrothorn make excellent teammates to Rotom-W because they have perfect synergy in terms of typing and Rotom-W loves the additional passive damage to break down its counters.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Rotom-W appreciates any kind of entry hazard, whether it be Stealth Rock, Spikes, or Toxic Spikes. Choiced variants with Volt Change can abuse them extremely well, as they let Rotom-W revenge kill more easily by racking up residual damage on its counters. Toxic Spikes can also be very useful for wearing down Rotom-W's archenemies Blissey and Chansey. Just about every anycommon Spiker, such as including Forretress, Skarmory, and Ferrothorn, pairs well with Rotom-W. They each have a crippling weakness to Fire-type attacks which Rotom-W resists covers, and in turn cover while Rotom-W's sole weakness to Grass-type attacks is in return covered by all three. As such, they should almost always be considered when using Rotom-W on your team.</p>

<p>Several Pokemon will consistently give Rotom-W a hard time, including such as Latios, Latias, Virizion, Blissey, and Chansey. As mentioned several times previously, Tyranitar makes a great partner for Rotom-W due to its ability to handily defeat Latios and Latias with Pursuit, while simultaneously threatening Blissey and Chansey with Superpower. It can also set up Stealth Rock for your team, and Rotom-W will often benefit from Tyranitar's permanent sandstorm, as it will help build up residual damage on Rotom-W's counters. Scizor is often considered one of Rotom-W's quintessential partners since they have great synergy and excel at removing the each other's counters. Specially Defensive Scizor with Swords Dance can set up on and KO all five of the aforementioned Pokemon (unless Latios and Latias carry Hidden Power Fire), while Rotom-W can defeat Pokemon like Gliscor and Jellicent who give Scizor problems.</p>

<p>Rotom-W's lack of a reliable recovery move means that it can benefit greatly from Wish support. Jirachi is among the best choices to pair Rotom-W with, thanks to its great typing and its ability to defeat problematic Pokemon like Latias and Latios. Blissey and Chansey can pass enormous Wishes to Rotom-W, and therefore make good partners for Rotom-W, especially on stall teams.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Aside from minor changes in attacks, there are a few other options for Rotom-W to consider. A bulky RestTalk set can be used for greater longevity, although Rest has become a liability this Generation due to the new sleep mechanics. Rotom-W will often find it difficult to remain in play for three turns whilst asleep due to the numerous Pokemon that can set up on it, and therefore might find itself asleep for a large portion of the match. Rotom-W can run an effective Substitute + Charge Beam set, but since it has lost its Ghost typing, Blissey and Chansey will now always beat Rotom-W one-on-one with Seismic Toss. A Life Orb can be considered for the Standard set, especially since Pain Split will enable Rotom-W to heal any sustained damage, although but Rotom-W will sorely miss the recovery that Leftovers grants.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Latios, Latias, Blissey, and Chansey are the big four that will almost assuredly give Rotom-W trouble. Without If Rotom-W lacks Thunder Wave, Latios and Latias can come in for free on the Standard set and begin Calm Minding or threaten with a powerful Draco Meteor. Blissey and Chansey take laughable damage from any of Rotom-W's attacks and have Natural Cure to get rid of any status they sustain. In turn, they can Toxic Rotom-W to cripple it for the rest of the match or simply wear it down with Seismic Toss. Although they must be wary of Hidden Power Fire, Grass-types are also problematic for Rotom-W. Virizion in particular has great Special Defense to sponge Rotom-W's attacks, and it can either set up Calm Mind or heal up with a super effective Giga Drain. If its Toxic Orb has already been activated and Rotom-W doesn't carry Hidden Power Fire, Breloom becomes a huge problem, as it can either choose to attack or threaten with Spore. Although Will-O-Wisp will cripple it, Ferrothorn is free to set up Spikes on any Rotom-W who doesn't carry lacking Hidden Power Fire. While Rotom-W has great coverage, it will often have problems beating Pokemon with high Special Defense, such as like Deoxys-D and Umbreon, if since it lacks an attack with which to hit them super effectively.</p>

I have taken the necessary changes from iDunno's check and added them in here with some of mine. The check probably would have been sufficient, but I was slightly worried given all of the barely necessary changes that the wrong mindset was being used. I was also slightly nervous about using our new stamping system for the second check on an analysis. Nonetheless please do not credit this check to me.

@iDunno - given that you were once in the team, I think you ought to rejoin if you intend to do any more checks. I like to think of the team as a list of competent checkers; being a member brings no obligation to check but merely makes it count when you do. Being in the team would also ensure that you check in the correct mindset - there is no need to make unnecessary changes in order to persuade a GP team member of the thoroughness of your check.

Ask ibo or Rising_Dusk and hopefully they will let you in without examination

Don't forget to add [SET COMMENTS] for both sets and leave a space between it and the first paragraph. Also for all the other headers leave a space.

What about a more defensive variant? It certainly would help against the likes of Borutoruso and Tornelos.

What about shadow ball as an option. it hits the likes of jellicent harder if you are carrying volt switch
Volt Switch = 70 BP x 1.5 (STAB) = 105 BP x 2 = 210 BP

Shadow Ball = 80 BP x 2 = 160 BP

So Shadow Ball doesn't hit harder than Volt Switch...

The standard set has a bad ev spread. You should put the 2 "leftovers" in speed, as with this set they will result in a boost (at least that is what the teambuilder says)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)