2016 Facebook Art Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As some of you may know there have been changes to the format of the art for giveaways. The finished artwork must include a frame/outline that details the Pokemon. From the preliminary usage it has produced a positive effect, so it will become a permanent change. However, it is better suited for the artist themselves to add it to their work. A template will be provided for artists to use:

1. Add the frame/outline to your completed artwork. Do not add unnecessary flair, but please feel free to make size and resolution adjustments to fit your artworks boundaries.

2.Add the Pokemon's details to the frame: Move Set, Pokeball, Gender, Item, Name, Ability, Nature, EV Spread

You can see examples made by Koumashiki and Rodo on how it should look below.

I apologize that this change seems sudden, but it helps a great deal with the success of the giveaways.

*IMPORTANT* Post both the completed artwork with and without the banner. We will use the version with the banner included, but the art is important to have on it's own in case it is needed in the future for other social media posts. Thank you.

TEMPLATES
Here's the templates made by LifeisDANK :

template.png

Template made by Koumashiki, click to see post-> easy to edit .psd file

easy to edit .psd file post

Here's 2 examples made by Rodo and Koumashiki
rodo banner.jpg

tQLOlm6.png

Format
Font:

Text is Verdana size 24 for the white letters, 12 for the blue letters and 9 for the black letters. Make adjustments if necessary.

HEX values:
bluish grey bg: EDEDF7
Purple: 822993
Deep Purple: 260859

Resources
Smogon Logo:
http://www.smogon.com/media/zracknel-beta.svg
Pokeball artwork: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Poké_Ball#Artwork
Item artwork:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/In-battle_effect_item
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Stat-enhancing_item
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Type-enhancing_item
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Plate

POKEMON DETAILS (do not use the Pokeball sprites shown below)

April 1.
♂ LifeisDANK
Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Level: 50
Naive Nature
68 Atk / 188 SpA / 252 Spe
30/31/30/31/31/31
- Thunderbolt
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Hidden Power Ice

April 8.
♂ bubblymaika
Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 28 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Scald
- Ice Beam

April 15.
♂ Koumashiki
Salamence @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Dragon Tail
- Roost
- Body Slam

April 22.
♂ LifeisDANK
Sceptile @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 12 Atk / 248 SpA / 248 Spe
Naive Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power Fire

April 29.
♀
Nerina
Altaria @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 244 HP / 4 Atk / 140 Def / 100 SpD / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Pursuit
- Haze
- Double-Edge
- Body Slam

Last edited:

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i'm no expert, nor an artist, but i know how hard can be to pull these things
can the artists get to know what the's the font, what's size, and what's the specific color? for consistency that is
also, the original template has text that's been removed with the eraser and you can spot some white patches that don't look good and fsr the venu sample looks really pixelated
i know some of the artists use softwares that are hard to use for text, so maybe put someone in charge of this?
not trying to be mean or anything, just things that can be improved of course :)

i'm no expert, nor an artist, but i know how hard can be to pull these things
can the artists get to know what the's the font, what's size, and what's the specific color? for consistency that is
also, the original template has text that's been removed with the eraser and you can spot some white patches that don't look good and fsr the venu sample looks really pixelated
i know some of the artists use softwares that are hard to use for text, so maybe put someone in charge of this?
not trying to be mean or anything, just things that can be improved of course :)
y u so mean :(

Thanks for the feedback, I will edit the post with the info you suggested. The venusaur looks like that because I helped on doing that and well I'm no expert nor an artist either.

If someone wants to be in charge of editing these images that could also work.

Reactions: ant
Looks a bit blurry on some parts but that's the fault of the low quality template I made :(. It is not noticeable in FB because of their image compresion, so it's ok you don't need to change anything. Thanks :)

This might be a problem for others though, so can anyone help me fix that? idk know how to improve the quality of the template x_x

LifeisDANK

Bird Enthusiast
is a Top Artistis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
Looks a bit blurry on some parts but that's the fault of the low quality template I made :(. It is not noticeable in FB because of their image compresion, so it's ok you don't need to change anything. Thanks :)

This might be a problem for others though, so can anyone help me fix that? idk know how to improve the quality of the template x_x

Here ya go. I left the Pokeball pixelated because its gonna be changed anyways.

MiniArchitect

Detail Disoriented
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Looks good! I would suggest pushing the Poke Ball to the right a bit so its left edge aligns with that of the text below it. Would also be good to push the little Gender box to the left by the same amount, so that neither are butting against the border of the template.

I tried my hand at recreating a higher-res version of the PokeBall artwork so we don't have to use the the tiny image Bulbapedia provides:

PokeBall_400px.png

I can do this for the other balls that'll be used for the giveaways too.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Looks good! I would suggest pushing the Poke Ball to the right a bit so its left edge aligns with that of the text below it. Would also be good to push the little Gender box to the left by the same amount, so that neither are butting against the border of the template.

I tried my hand at recreating a higher-res version of the PokeBall artwork so we don't have to use the the tiny image Bulbapedia provides:

View attachment 59671

Absolutely crazy how, despite the lack of multiple colors, this thing looks so high res. Really good job MiniArchitect n_n

View attachment 59671

Artists can make (minor) adjustments to the template. We just don't want a complete revamp or too much flair added since it took us a couple of iterations to get this one "right". If you want to give it a shot, how about helping LifeisDANK with the sceptile banner? :P

About the Pokeball artwork... Sure go ahead, those images could also be useful for other types of media. I placed a link to the "big" official pokeball artwork in bulbapedia but I guess those are still small for what we are trying to do..

Last edited:

MiniArchitect

Detail Disoriented
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Artist can make (minor) adjustments to the template. We just don't want a complete revamp or too much flair added since it took us a couple of iterations to get this one. It looks clean and the info doesn't take too much attention from the art and viceversa. If you want to give it a shot, how about helping LifeisDANK with the sceptile banner? :P

About the Pokeball artwork... Sure go ahead, those images could be useful for other types of media. I placed a link to the "big" official pokeball artwork in bulbapedia but I guess those are still small for what we are trying to do..
I agree that the banner looks great already and accomplishes what it needs to without detracting from the artwork itself, and I'm not suggesting any major changes, just to nudge those two particular elements slightly. It looks a bit odd having the text in the Moves list set perfectly well, and then the position of the ball above in misalignment. Setting the image in line with the text can only make the banner look better.

In retrospect, now that I look back at the examples in your original post, the pokeball artwork from bulbapedia will probably look fine once it's sized down, since they'll be seen at around their original resolution anyway. I'll still work on some hi-res versions just in case though, since they don't take too much extra effort on my part.

LifeisDANK

Bird Enthusiast
is a Top Artistis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
Artists can make (minor) adjustments to the template. We just don't want a complete revamp or too much flair added since it took us a couple of iterations to get this one "right". If you want to give it a shot, how about helping LifeisDANK with the sceptile banner? :P

About the Pokeball artwork... Sure go ahead, those images could also be useful for other types of media. I placed a link to the "big" official pokeball artwork in bulbapedia but I guess those are still small for what we are trying to do..
i think it might look better with it adjusted but you can decide. heres the edited one http://imgur.com/MbYwXla

lol I guess I didn't explain myself correctly. What I was trying to say is that such minor adjustments are ok, and if you want to try it out go right ahead :)

I'll add that as a 2nd template. Thanks.

Koumashiki

n o   h o m o
is an Artist Alumnus
Oh hey, just my little idea, but can we make the template a .psd file for convenience's sake? vzxt actually asked me to revamp the template a while ago, but I was too busy with school and stuffs so I forgot it half-way (to which I'm truly sorry). But the new high-res template looks better than what I did now anyway.

The .psd file will have all the content text aligned, so artists only have to edit it instead of making an entire new text box, picking color and decide the text size and stuffs. Pretty much to reduce the work and have a very convenient template.

I think the .psd file can also contain all of the possible pokeball art, already aligned with each pokeball is a different layer. When you want a pokeball, simply make that pokeball layer visible and all done. Same goes with gender if you don't even want to bother copying the gender symbol (which is nice anyway). I think if MiniArchitect can do the pokeballs, it'd be really cool since the vector art fits template much more than bulbapedia's sample or the tiny sprites - but it might just me nitpicking. Since Facebook compress images a lot, not many might notice the pixelized detail and the image output may just need in a rather small size (so you don't have to enlarge the items sprite, since, well it's a sprite).

On a side note, I think the PGL does have images of all the gen 6 available pokeball (+ Dream Ball) in a style similar to MiniArchitect's? Can't remember, but I've definitely seen those on people's spreadsheet, hence I think the source might come from PGL :/ But even if it's not from there I'll try to find the images.

Oh hey, just my little idea, but can we make the template a .psd file for convenience's sake? vzxt actually asked me to revamp the template a while ago, but I was too busy with school and stuffs so I forgot it half-way (to which I'm truly sorry). But the new high-res template looks better than what I did now anyway.

The .psd file will have all the content text aligned, so artists only have to edit it instead of making an entire new text box, picking color and decide the text size and stuffs. Pretty much to reduce the work and have a very convenient template.

I think the .psd file can also contain all of the possible pokeball art, already aligned with each pokeball is a different layer. When you want a pokeball, simply make that pokeball layer visible and all done. Same goes with gender if you don't even want to bother copying the gender symbol (which is nice anyway). I think if MiniArchitect can do the pokeballs, it'd be really cool since the vector art fits template much more than bulbapedia's sample or the tiny sprites - but it might just me nitpicking. Since Facebook compress images a lot, not many might notice the pixelized detail and the image output may just need in a rather small size (so you don't have to enlarge the items sprite, since, well it's a sprite).

On a side note, I think the PGL does have images of all the gen 6 available pokeball (+ Dream Ball) in a style similar to MiniArchitect's? Can't remember, but I've definitely seen those on people's spreadsheet, hence I think the source might come from PGL :/ But even if it's not from there I'll try to find the images.
That sounds like a good idea. Will you be able to do that?

Pretty sure the pokeball artwork in bulbapedia are images from the PGL. They were just lazy and didn't update the page so it still says Pokemon Dream World.

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Category:Pokémon_Dream_World_items

Last edited:

Koumashiki

n o   h o m o
is an Artist Alumnus
That sounds like a good idea. Will you be able to do that?

Pretty sure the pokeball artwork in bulbapedia are images from the PGL. They were just lazy and didn't update the page so it still says Pokemon Dream World.

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Category:Pokémon_Dream_World_items
Ouch did not notice the DW artwork near the bottom of the pokeball page, I missed that section!

I can definitely do the .psd file, and promise will get it done soon this time. I'll use LifeisDANK's template as a base, since it's in high res :P

Koumashiki

n o   h o m o
is an Artist Alumnus
EDIT: I've tweaked the template a little bit.

OK, I did the .psd file. Sorry that the size is much smaller than previous templates, but I find having a high-res template for a site that compress images as much as possible seems a bit redundant. Also it's to avoid having to enlarge item sprites, they are super tiny, and I want this template to minimize the work at its best.

As there are a bunch of items out there, I don't paste all of the sprites into one file (not like you can easily find the right item sprite among so many layers anyway), though I did include all possible Pokeballs in the file. There's also an option of a shininess icon and gender icons. No more shiny icon as I didn't know the team against the idea.

I put stuffs in certain folders so it should be fairly easy to navigate in the layer tab. Beware that the pokeballs folder is super long, as you know how many pokeballs there are.

Here's a little preview of the template (original size):

And here's the download link for the .psd file.

Last edited:

Looks great, just some minor nitpicks and I think it will be perfect.

The level will not always be 50 and there's a space missing between Lv. and 50. Please move "Lv." a bit to the left in case we giveaway a Lv. 100 Pokemon.

Is it just me or the word "Pokemon" is smaller than the "Lv. 50"?

Other than that it looks great. thanks :)

Edit: It seems the word "Pokemon" is smaller (size 20) than "Lv. 50" (size 24) might want to fix that to avoid confusion or mistakes.

Edit2: what software do you need to use that file?

Last edited:

Koumashiki

n o   h o m o
is an Artist Alumnus
OK, did some minor tweak as you've pointed out! At first the Pokemon text was at the same size as the Lv text. However the shiny star was scrapped, and if you type something lengthy like "Shiny Fletchinder", there wouldn't be enough space, so I had to make it smaller. But since you want consistency, I've adjusted both texts a tiny bit.

The level 100 thing shouldn't be something to worry about, as most texts are left-aligned, and I had intentionally left some space for that :P

Also, .psd is indeed for Photoshop, but if you don't have it and don't want to waste GBs of your computer, there are quite a few programs that support .psd. Notably GIMP, it's free, much lighter and still has pretty much the basic stuffs you need.

DOWNLOAD LINK

Preview:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)