32 turns of stall in the Hail: Walrein

No it doesn't. It doesn't mean that at all. What's the point of having a good strategy if you don't know how to use it. There are fundamentals such as keeping note of what is going to stop you and how to get around that, planning what pokes are not as useful and knowing when the hell to sacrifice them or otherwise. Just because you have some 'awesome amazing' set up to something doesn't mean shit if I know how to manuever around it with lesser Pokes. Say some random Newbie uses a team trying to build around Kyogre and you're using a regular 'balanced' OU team and won. Does that mean your team strategy was better than his team? Hell no. It's cause he doesn't know how to use it.
Obviously there has to be a balance. However, a team with a good plan is going to be able to survive even if it doesn't execute it, but a well executed plan means nothing if the plan sucked in the first place.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh, well, that I agree with. I've really thought that even in ADV. That's why I usually take my teams to the extremes. If I'm making a stall team, I'm going to pick Knock Off over Earthquake every time, for instance. I basically start off with as few attacks as I think I can, and tweak from there. It really forces you to see what the flaws in a particular strategy is (in my case, Nasty Plotters), so you have to find a way around it.

I agree that the team itself isn't everything, but that execution plays a major part. The most obvious example of this is when you have to sacrifice something. A player that knows how to use the team will be paying attention to who the opponent has left, and sacrifice the Pokemon that is least needed. The player who isn't as good with the team will likely sacrifice the Pokemon they consider "weaker" or what have you. I may find my Salamence to be a lot stronger than Infernape, but if they have Weavile in the wings and a Camerupt that's about to Explode, I'm sacrificing Salamence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)