=

This is where your argument falls flat. Most people won't be convinced by people having a talk with them and winning the argument, but they will be convinced by simple peer pressure. If everybody's for it, why the hell not?

This is exactly what simple worthless ='s aim to do.
Eh. I agree with Firestorm on the whole "slacktivism" thing. This red equal sign is nice in theory and all, but I think it's mostly going to become like the gay marriage version of the "like this or go to hell" things, or at least similar. If it does change opinions, good for it!

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
but this is different. while facebookers seemed to mistakenly think that if enough people admonished kony he would suddenly give up or get captured or die, in this case if enough people show their support for gay rights then it will actually cease to be an issue. gay rights and gay freedom can only come from acceptance and understanding, no matter how incremental. there is no illusion in this; if you are showing your support, you are doing your part.
Name one person who seriously thought konly would suddenly give up or get captured or die. The point of Kony was to show the government that the people cared about the issue in order to pressure the government to spend more resources on the problem.

how is that any different than =

if it makes you feel better by posting an =, have fun with that. i'll be talking with the people i live and work with about why marriage is a human right.

ugh another mattj thread

The resources needed to deal with the KONY problem were slightly different in nature from the ones needed to pass some simple laws.

This is why everyone being pro-KONY didn't have any effect. People accepting gay marriage, on the other hand...

Most people won't be convinced by people having a talk with them and winning the argument, but they will be convinced by simple peer pressure. If everybody's for it, why the hell not?
So peer pressure and mob mentality are good things now? I've nothing against gay marriage (nor nothing for it really), but you make this sound like a "gay power" movement that's intimidating unsure people into supporting its cause. It doesn't seem like it really is like that, and I hope it isn't, but if it is, I have a problem with that. As far as I can tell, decisions in history that have been made solely under the premise of "we all agree, so it must be right" have been terrible, evil decisions just as often as they've been good ones.

Edit: really pernicious? This is supposedly a serious thread, and greentexting is clearly associated with the intelligent, respectful discussions that occur in the center of polite discussion that is 4chan

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
The resources needed to deal with the KONY problem were slightly different in nature from the ones needed to pass some simple laws.
in what significant way

it was a c/p facebook fad intending to show the government that the people cared about that issue and pressure it into action

lets do it again

and again

if it makes you feel better by posting an =, have fun with that.
>implying your interpretation of how to improve rights of a community you do not belong to is better than others'
>implying feelings are insignificant
>implying people who do this aren't doing anything else
>implying you are da great white straight savior of da gays

tehy

Banned deucer.
Because that TOTALLY solved racism, right?

Government action, firstly, isn't going to solve the entire problem. Secondly, the government won't do shit if people are not behind it, regardless of the constitution. We saw that shit pretty clearly in every single minority discrimination and such.

Yeah, what Jumpluff said lol. If people still believe that you are less than a person, that's still a really big problem, even if you are a full person in the eyes of the law. The law is a good step but it's not the only thing.

government action
As a queer lady I will tell you straight up that it will take a lot of government action, but also a lot more than government action, to fix the marginalisation and discrimination facing LGBT communities right now.

So many straights itt.

This is where your argument falls flat. Most people won't be convinced by people having a talk with them and winning the argument, but they will be convinced by simple peer pressure. If everybody's for it, why the hell not?

This is exactly what simple worthless ='s aim to do.
How dare you use a social networking site to promote your stance social issues. yr so dumb omg.

If it were that "simple" don't you think there would have been a solution reached by now?
One of the problems that the LGBT community is having is not only the influence of the Church, but also an underlying want from insurance companies to keep potential losses low (they can make money from homosexuals by making each partner pay for their own insurance).

Eh. I agree with Firestorm on the whole "slacktivism" thing. This red equal sign is nice in theory and all, but I think it's mostly going to become like the gay marriage version of the "like this or go to hell" things, or at least similar. If it does change opinions, good for it!
Basically my thoughts on this, too. Most of my friends know I support equal rights on all fronts because it's just latent discrimination at this point, and it has been since we passed the first equal rights movement 50 years ago. I laugh at the social media activism because it (at least in my mind) is a bunch of people joining in support to celebrate the fact that are country isn't a bunch of discriminating assholes because right now it's what's showing up on their TV screens and news feeds. This is people doing something for the sake of being apart of the wave instead of I don't know:

-Openly participating in Gay Rights Rallies, or at least trying to spread awareness via word-of-mouth
-Messaging Senators and Congressmen supporting gay rights
-Signing the petition on the White House page
note: I'm pretty damn sure there's a petition with WAY more signatures than that about the same issue but that was the first one to pop up on my search (and I actually signed this one).

again, i don't necessarily assume the conclusion that this is something people are doing instead of better things; why is it one or the other...?

i'd be the first to admit that often people will get caught up in a whirlwind just long enough to let themselves be tickled by the breeze, but as long as there are lingering positive effects, i really don't see the point of neckbeardedly laughing at "social media slacktivists." would you rather everyone shut the hell up? also i don't really care about my country and how non-discriminatory it may be...in fact our country is p terrible

....sorry, ik you agree with the sentiment of "if it changes opinions, good for it'
i just thought I LAUGH AT THE SOCIAL MEDIA ACTIVISMMMM was somewhat of a risible statement

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy

there we go i could sport that

Why yes it is!

aaaaaaand another punchworthy

[edit]

....sorry, ik you agree with the sentiment of "if it changes opinions, good for it'
i just thought I LAUGH AT THE SOCIAL MEDIA ACTIVISMMMM was somewhat of a risible statement
I only laugh at it because it isn't hard to take ten minutes out of your time to search for a petition in the proper spot. If it really ruffles someone's feathers enough they should be motivated more than just changing an avatar on their facespace account.

In today's day and age with the constant stream of info and how fast things move in and out of the spotlight, most people are going to forget about this about 2 weeks after it's done. I mean if you want a really great example just look at the "economy crushing" sequester that actually fucking happened earlier this month. We'll pass this, dance a little dance for a bit, and then move on to the next issue (immigration or marijuana most likely) and totally forget about this. Much unlike the parades, monuments, and national holidays that we still have for the civil rights activists from 50 years ago.

I only laugh at it because it isn't hard to take ten minutes out of your time to search for a petition in the proper spot. If it really ruffles someone's feathers enough they should be motivated more than just changing an avatar on their facespace account.

In today's day and age with the constant stream of info and how fast things move in and out of the spotlight, most people are going to forget about this about 2 weeks after it's done. I mean if you want a really great example just look at the "economy crushing" sequester that actually fucking happened earlier this month. We'll pass this, dance a little dance for a bit, and then move on to the next issue (immigration or marijuana most likely) and totally forget about this. Much unlike the parades, monuments, and national holidays that we still have for the civil rights activists from 50 years ago.
Case in point about the petitions.

I think before social media really exploded into what it is today, an equivalent to this, such as everyone buying a shirt or a hat with this logo, would have a much bigger effect than people just clicking a button and changing how they look until they decide they "look rull gud in dis 1 pic." Everyone, especially the government, realizes how easy it is to simply click a button for an opinion that may change as quickly as your profile picture.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)