3v3 Singles Metagame Discussion Thread

Just echoing unhappiness here, as there's nothing but Japanese players using full shiny teams with Terrakion, Heatran, and Seismic Toss/Wish M-Kanga now.
Whats ur ranking? 1750 here i rarely see a shinny (hacked) legendary, kangaskan is so easy to counter/check its like a win condition seeing her in oposing team now (mandibuzz, will o gengar, terrakion, trevenant, ferrothorn, infernape, aegislash, blaziken etc), heatran and terrakion are "meh" at best in 3v3, or at least that has been my impresion so far whenever i fight them, maybe they didnt have the correct sets or something.

for me the legendary pokemon i kinda hate are cresselia and prankster thundurus, but IMO anything is beatable at first i was kinda disapointed because i couldt use pokebank legendarys, then i got some legendarys tryed them out and there is nothing special about them really.

maybe at higher rankings ill se more seismic toss mega mom, but in my experience some checks/counters still work the same on her, and same on her special atack variant.

I've been using Mega Blastoise to great success lately, Modest nature with max HP and Sp.Atk with a moveset of Scald/ Aura Sphere/ Dark Pulse/ Ice Beam. Also Gengar with focus sash, Timid, Max Speed and Sp.atk and Thunderbolt, Sludge Bomb, Shadow Ball and Destiny Bond. Destiny bond is surprisingly reliable, and I love it

Been having loads of fun with:

Carbink @ Light Clay Red Card
Relaxed, 252 HP 252 Def 4 SpD
Stealth Rock
Reflect Toxic
Trick Room
Explosion

Edit: Swapped Light Clay and Reflect for Red Card and Toxic, respectively. Sturdy + Red Card foils leads that attempt to set up on Carbink, and Toxic is always nice to have.

Crawdaunt @ Splash Plate
Brave, 252 HP 252 Atk 4 Def
Crabhammer
Knock Off
Aqua Jet
Crunch

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Quiet, 252 HP 252 SpA 4 SpD
Trick Room
Psyshock
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast

Lead with Carbink and set up rocks, Toxic the opponent's lead, or both. Then set up Trick Room and explode. Bring in Crawdaunt, and proceed to smack the living shit out of nearly everything with Crabhammer/Knock Off. Reuniclus comes in to clean up if necessary. It usually isn't.

Last edited:

Epikhairz

Anything goes
What EV spreads should I go with for BraveBird/Roost/Taunt/Toxic Adamant Crobat, as well as Sub/SD/ShadowSneak/King'sShield Aegislash?

I'm pretty new to battle spot, and I want to do the EVs right, though I'm sure I'll get the hang of EVing in a 3v3 environment soon :3

edit: whoops move to SQSA if possible sorry
doubleedit: wait there is no SQSA nvm

Last edited:
After a recent hard-won battle on rated Wifi, I've learned never to doubt Lanturn again. Yes, Lanturn. That obscure GSC Water/Electric that is "outclassed" by Rotom Wash.

My set (probably will tweak):

Calm, 252 HP, 252 Special Defense, 6 Defense @ Chesto Berry

Scald
Thunderbolt
Rest
Thunder Wave (Probably will swap it for Toxic, I don't know why I left it on to be honest. I still won anyway.)

Specially Defensive Lanturn is any non-Trick Rotom's worst nightmare, as well as other bulky Water types. It has Volt Absorb, meaning that it can't just Volt Switch out. Since it's a special attacker, Burn bothers it much less than Toxic poison. Chesto Rest is probably more effective than Leftovers in this case, and gets rid of status ailments too. Scald can punish physical attackers, and a lucky Burn can turn the match in your favor.

My Lanturn survived a X1.5 X-Scissor from Mega Scizor, so even though it's a special wall, it can take at least one boosted physical hit before going down.

After a recent hard-won battle on rated Wifi, I've learned never to doubt Lanturn again. Yes, Lanturn. That obscure GSC Water/Electric that is "outclassed" by Rotom Wash.

My set (probably will tweak):

Calm, 252 HP, 252 Special Defense, 6 Defense @ Chesto Berry

Scald
Thunderbolt
Rest
Thunder Wave (Probably will swap it for Toxic, I don't know why I left it on to be honest. I still won anyway.)

Specially Defensive Lanturn is any non-Trick Rotom's worst nightmare, as well as other bulky Water types. It has Volt Absorb, meaning that it can't just Volt Switch out. Since it's a special attacker, Burn bothers it much less than Toxic poison. Chesto Rest is probably more effective than Leftovers in this case, and gets rid of status ailments too. Scald can punish physical attackers, and a lucky Burn can turn the match in your favor.

My Lanturn survived a X1.5 X-Scissor from Mega Scizor, so even though it's a special wall, it can take at least one boosted physical hit before going down.
I've been running a different set than that, foregoing the recovery for a bit more bulk.

Lanturn @Assault Vest
Calm 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpDef
Volt Absorb
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Dazzling Gleam
- Signal Beam

Signal beam is just for the Psychic coverage that is a bit useful with the occasional espeon opening up. Volt switch to hop out on occasion to mix things up and throw people off. He can tank hits from even M-Gengar and come back with a powerful Hydro Pump. Recovery would be nice, but with ~225 SpDef at 50, he doesn't need it if used right.

I thought I was the only person who used Lanturn. Cool! I may have to "borrow" this set as soon as I get an Assault Vest from the Maison Derriere. . .er. . .Battle Maison. I'll test my current set some more first.

Enguarde

I only play ADV UU
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
A pokemon thats been an absolute star since I acquired one is articuno actually, there are so many bulky waters such as quagsire and slowbro which Articuno can easily beat 1 on 1 with the following set.

Modest 252 spa 252 spe
Substitute
Roost
Freeze Dry
Hurricane

Due to the increase is tanks and walls (I've even seen a few Cresselias) I've always regretted each time I take articuno out of the 6. Pressure is very useful atm too for stalling out even offensive pokemon with sub roost thanks to not many spending the time acquiring pp ups.

Also hosting a Tournament http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/battle-spot-singles-tournament-sign-ups.3497794/

Last edited:
A pokemon thats been an absolute star since I acquired one is articuno actually, there are so many bulky waters such as quagsire and slowbro which Articuno can easily beat 1 on 1 with the following set.

Modest 252 spa 252 spe
Substitute
Roost
Freeze Dry
Hurricane

Due to the increase is tanks and walls (I've even seen a few Cresselias) I've always regretted each time I take articuno out of the 6. Pressure is very useful atm too for stalling out even offensive pokemon with sub roost thanks to not many spending the time acquiring pp ups.

Also hosting a Tournament http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/battle-spot-singles-tournament-sign-ups.3497794/
It seems Articuno is not just annoying in Inverse Battles anymore. . .

I guess you're running into the bulky Water types too? That's the reason I bring Lanturn sometimes.

I just ran into the dreaded. . .Focus Sash Tyranitar?

(Interesting note: The Focus Sash is called "Banda Focus" in Spanish, and the Focus BAND is "Cinta Focus". It can be confusing to native English speakers.)

Mega Mawile is EVERYWHERE. My Sandstorm team isn't well equipped to handle something like that. What are some good counters for something that hits like a Sharknado whenever you switch something in? It almost always runs Sucker Punch and Play Rough.

I'm almost tempted to break out my Moody Octillery. :(

Mega Mawile is a tough customer. I find the best way to defeat it is a bulky offensive pokemon. If you can speed creep her with a bulky fighting type, it's ideal, but that's tricky. Blaziken is really good against Mega Mawile in WiFi, but on a Sand team, you can use Hippodown to try to brute force it down while also being mega bulky. Bulky Garchomp can also do it if he has a SD in, just straight up OHKO with EQ and easily take the Sucker Punch.

Obviously, if you can get a burn on it, it helps a great deal as well. Bulky Talonflame is great answer to Mega Mawile. Taunt or Bulk Up, will-o-wisp, and roost force it to relly on Play Rough and it's coverage move, and if it is Brick Break or Iron head, you resist everything and proceed to stall it out, finishing off with a faster priority Brave Bird.

By the Same Token, Stalltress is also great. Moltres in general is pretty awesome in 3v3. I liek running Will-o-wisp, Fire Spin, Roost, and Sub. If she can set up on something liek Mega Mawile, they are totally hosed. Can't even switch out, while you proceed to stall them into oblivion.

I am having trouble with Mega Charizard Y. Had to run Rotom-H instead of Rotom-W to ensure countering it.

And, I tried using WeakNite but it did poorly, most people know how to deal with it. I lost solely because of using it, either as a lead or a finisher, in my team.

What's wrong with my build?

Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
Multiscale
Jolly, 252atk 252 speed, 4 hp

~dragon dance
~extreme speed
~dragon claw
~fire punch

Last edited:
Personally I'd run Flamethrower or Firebalst over fire punch. But Really, Weaknite right now is very prepared for in the current meta. As for Yzard ... It sort of just comes down to murdering its face before it can murder your face. It's still x4 weak to rock, so a rock slide or stone edge fomr anything can murder it. You might want to consider dropping the speed from Weaknite, and going bulky with Extremespeed and replce DD with roost. WeakNite is great against Yzard, but only the bulky varients.

If you absolutely want too destroy Yzards, Mega Aerodactyle takes a poop all over it and is a pretty scary suicide attacker.

Actually come to think of it, Mega Aerodactyle is scary in general. While certinaly frail, it is threatening because it needs no set up. It just comes out already at base 130 speed, Mega evoles to a huge attack value, and drops colossal Edgequakes and your choice of coverage options, including fangs boosted by tough claws.

I like to run adamant 252 atk/ 252 speed with Stone Edge, Quake, Crunch, and Aerial Ace. However tough claws actually makes all the fangs great options as well. Thunder Fang is especially useful I find on Aerodactyle, though Fire Fang is also useful if you replace Aerial Ace instead of Crunch. I liek Aerial Ace however, simply because it puts a complete stop to the evasion abuse you tend too see. STAB Aerial Ace off of Mega Aerodactyle works out to a BP of ... 120? I think? (60 x 1.5) x1.33~? Pretty knarly for an Aerial Ace.

Last edited:

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk 252 Speed 4 HP
Nature: Jolly

Moves:
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Tail

I've been running Krookodile to quite a bit of success in this meta. She pretty much outspeeds anything that the opponent happens to send out long as they don't have priority, and once she gets a moxie boost, she can potentially sweep their entire team. Crunch and EQ is there for STAB, Stone Edge for coverage, and... I don't really have any reason to run Dragon Tail, it's really just there as a filler move. I can't put Superpower there because it was bred in my Y version, and I didn't think to breed it with Pursuit when I was breeding it, so I don't really have any good moves to put there. I'll have to think of something later.

Last edited:
This metagame is kind of stupid, especially when the rest of the world besides Japan has to play with its hands tied behind its back because of the lack of Pokebank. Hello, Lati@s! You haven't been annoying enough in all the previous Pokemon games!

Don't use Moody by the way. I've tried with Octillery. It gives you the wrong stat boosts more than it helps you, and it is easily Phazed/Hazed/Unawared/Bullet Seeded/Pin Missiled/whatever. I don't know why Smogon bans it any more to be honest. It's useless far more often than it breaks matches.

Your opponent will put you to sleep faster than you can say "Green Goblin", so random Pokemon with Sleep Talk, Safety Goggles, or Insomnia is not as silly an idea as it seems in standard OU.

Furfrou with Rocky Helmet, Cotton Guard, and Toxic is pretty good assuming your opponent is not using a very powerful Fighting type such as Mega Blaziken or Mega Lucario (not as specific as you might think; many battlers prefer Mega Mawile or Mega Kangaskhan). It's funny stalling out a Garchomp with a poodle. :)

I find Tyranitar not to be as good even in its Mega form. People on Wifi prepare for it, even the mono-Bug teams!

This game is complete bullshit. Look at what happened to me this match. Double flinch hax. MX4W-WWWW-WWW4-Z25J

Featuring Rotom-H, Reuniclus and Ferrothorn, and a lucky Azumarill.

This game is complete bullshit. Look at what happened to me this match. Double flinch hax. MX4W-WWWW-WWW4-Z25J

Featuring Rotom-H, Reuniclus and Ferrothorn, and a lucky Azumarill.
Oh, I've been flinched haxed to death by Dark Pulse. I feel your pain, as Bill Clinton would say. :)

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Man I've been doing pretty sloppy lately on Battle Spot ever since the 2nd season kicked off...Can't really seem to get above 1550 for the time being :\ And it's got me wondering, what are some good partners for Quiet Mixed Aegislash? (...Other than Hydreigon. We all know bout that already) Bred one with 5 IVs and been using it to some okay success but I feel I could be doing better than I am.

Also any good partners for mons like Absol, Honchkrow, or Crawdaunt? Been going nuts with all the Dark-types I've been raising and I'm just wondering what I can do to bump their effectiveness up a bit.

Random, but I also think I ran into an Overcoat Reuniclus somewhere along the line...Then I realized I could just slap Safety Goggles on my own for the same effect. ...Why don't more people do that?

Man I've been doing pretty sloppy lately on Battle Spot ever since the 2nd season kicked off...Can't really seem to get above 1550 for the time being :\ And it's got me wondering, what are some good partners for Quiet Mixed Aegislash? (...Other than Hydreigon. We all know bout that already) Bred one with 5 IVs and been using it to some okay success but I feel I could be doing better than I am.

Also any good partners for mons like Absol, Honchkrow, or Crawdaunt? Been going nuts with all the Dark-types I've been raising and I'm just wondering what I can do to bump their effectiveness up a bit.

Random, but I also think I ran into an Overcoat Reuniclus somewhere along the line...Then I realized I could just slap Safety Goggles on my own for the same effect. ...Why don't more people do that?
Clever idea. Now I can ditch my modest Overcoat Reuniclus for my Quiet Magic Guard Reuniclus. I'll miss the leftovers recovery, though.

Does anyone have good ideas on how to beat the really ridiculous mega Pokemon such as Mega Gengar and Mega Blaziken (without using Pokebank)? Talonflame can revenge them I guess, but I want something I can switch into them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)