3v3 Singles Metagame Discussion Thread

EDIT: If you play in Free mode, you see alot of swift swim sheer cold Lapras spam. I see it in rated as well and wonder how in the world they have rating above 1600 trying it (it auto fails)
Actually, Sheer Cold and the like work in the Battle Spot. Horrible accuracy, but it's possible.
I myself have been trolling around Free Battle with a few new mons since Rating Battle is down. Currently have a team of Goodra/Rotom-W/MMawile/Talonflame/Gliscor/Rampardos (lol). I benched Sableye because it's Free Battle and I wanted to test some other mons.

Goodra: Very good. Mine has Assault Vest, and has decent damage and tanks special hits like a boss. Sap Sipper Grass immunity is amazing for MVenusaur.
Rotom-W: Finally got my hands on one of these bastards and it is seriously the best anti-metagame mon in the game right now, hands down. Checks/counters a whole slew of crap.
MMawile: Haven't used her in ages, but still a potent wallbreaker. If your opponent doesn't have anything to check it, they are screwed.
Talonflame: Suicidal bird ahoy. Great revenge killer.
Gliscor: Not bad, trying it out for a few times. Running Taunt on it really helps against setup attackers/Baton passers. Surprisingly hard to kill.
Rampardos: Hahahaha, I just brought this guy along to see if he'd be any good. Mine is RP + 3 Attacks, and honestly I've never used him because it's so much better to use any of my other mons. Oh well. Maybe I should Scarf him?

Actually, Sheer Cold and the like work in the Battle Spot. Horrible accuracy, but it's possible.
I thought for sure in the rated mode OHKO moves always failed. If not, then I might break out my olde troll-tastic
OHKO Super spam dream team, barely modified since even the days of RBY!

Choice Scarf Horn Drill Tauros, Assault vest hornDrill/Fissure rypherior, Guillotine Megapinsir!

EDIT: Choice Scarf Head Smash Rampardos, because hey. He was born to do it. I've lost too the same thing off of Tyrantrum, simply because I wasn't expecting him to be running suicide head smash with a scarf. Sure, it killed itself after only two hits, but it tore right through my rotom-w and I didn't have anything else to take the hit.

Last edited:
If you want easy OHKO moves that can hit any type, you can always run Mind Reader + Sheer Cold on Articuno with max speed. Of course, you'd need a way to prevent opposing switches (opponent's last mon notwithstanding), or more importantly to prevent Articuno from dying, which is quite difficult even with defensive EVs. I suppose if your opponent switches after Mind Reader, you could always get a lucky Sheer Cold hit on the mon that switches in :P

Now this is still just theory, but is Zoroark more valid here in 3v3?

Battlespot meta is essentially sweepers/counters and it seems like Zoroark masquerading as kanga, talonflame, or other demanding threats, then eliminating their counters (or weakening them) would be fairly optimal.

Although, he isn't good every game. Teams with a lot of balance or otherwise ability to deal with your threats, or otherwise have a LOT of self-sufficient mons like blaziken, khan, etc make it difficult to find the right bluff. Luckily, in 3v3, he doesn't need to be used every game and just having him on your team makes your opponent use a lot of less than desirable decisions like u-turn scouting with talonflame.

He's also actually got a decent makeup for this meta. Dark to resist sucker punches which are EVERYWHERE, outspeeds khan, and also can pretend to be him and lure out ghosts to kill them. flamethrower to kill ferrothorn, he also outspeeds and 2hkos rocky helmet garchomp with sash. I imagine he might be good with mega venusaur to lure out talonflame, then kill it with sash + hidden power rock

Still gimmicky to be sure, and he struggles with common leads like rotom-w and greninja, that it's not even worth using him except as a revenge killer bluffing as khan if they have one. But he might be worth further testing, he at least works well for me on showdown, however my team was in desperate need of a special attacker to deal with willomiss

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The only real interesting use of OHKOs will be when Suicune becomes legal, because RestTalk + Sheer Cold on such a bulky pokemon is actually pretty good.

Or at least, it would be good if such insane mons as Mega Kang and Mega Mawile didn't exist and make Suicune-level bulk meaningless.

Keep all general

To get things started, I've found Talonflame to be the biggest threat in the metagame to this point. It checks a ton of threats and Fire/Flying is relatively good coverage (though I find I don't use Flare Blitz all that often). Its predictability can be a blessing at times though if your opponent falls into the routine of just spamming Brave Bird (as I'm sure we've all done from time to time). Having something like Blaziken on your team almost makes your opponent feel obligated to bring Talonflame along and that can be a bit easy to take advantage of by bringing something that resists its STABs while being a threat itself.
You could counter it with a speed EV trained Machamp with Stone Edge. Because of No Guard Stone Edge never misses. Machamp also has a high attack and Stone Edge is a OHKO.

You could counter it with a speed EV trained Machamp with Stone Edge. Because of No Guard Stone Edge never misses. Machamp also has a high attack and Stone Edge is a OHKO.
Speed is meaningless on a Machamp against Talonflame. Talonflame has priority Brave Bird, so it doesn't have to be faster than Machamp to outspeed and kill.

The problem with machamp is that ghosts are everywhere too due to khan and he just has a lot of answers in 3v3.

Also, eject button politoed + swift swim omastar seems to be fairly interesting. Due to his typing, unlike cloyster, he resists priority brave bird so his sweeping isn't so easily shut down. Rain surf ohkos a lot after a smash, including mega kanga. Also the meta is mostly aimed towards dealing with physical threats, so special attackers have the niche of not meeting their walls often.

Observation:
  • Fuck anyone and everyone who uses swagkey
  • Stop having ur greninja use grass knot on rotom, he was like 4 pounds lmao
  • Ive seen a lot of ninetails lately and i'm not sure why because they aren't even centering their teams around sun , they just...have ninetails...for no reason at all
  • mega kangaskhan
  • Mega aggron has become really popular, too bad people think it can tank EVERY attack
  • I have not seen one blaziken which is really weird tbh
  • STOP.SWITCHING.CHARIZARD WITH THE X MEGASTONE.INTO.GARCHOMP.
  • Mega Venusaur is that bxtch
Things I've been using:
  • Substitute+Pain split Chandelure +Life orb: Amazing, all these damn trevenant and aegislash can go suck the biggest of dicks
  • Azumarill @assaut vest: Has been working really well for me and forms a near-perfect 'core' with...
  • Physically defensive ferrothorn +Leftovers: A great Kangaskhan/Aggron/Garchomp/Azumarill/Scizor check
  • Mega medicham: more like "meh" medicham -o-
  • Dual Screens Rotom: Our lord and savior. seriously tho dual screens is ammmmmmaaaaaazzzzinnngggg in this format and i haven't seen anyone else using it
  • Garchomp +Choice Band: <3
  • Mega Lucario: Really good, iver found earthquake and bullet punch to be much more useful than crunch or extremes peed
  • Mega Ampharos: Slow as shit but really ant meta thanks to the massive amount of rotom and talonflame flying around
  • Gardevoir: I love it to pieces but its complete and utter shit imo :/ too slow and too frail

Hi, im new to this forums (first comment :D) anyways Ive tryed a fair amount of pokemon and tactics and i'll share my opinion on those.

I hate Rottom-W and i don't like Talonflame, seeing the ranking chart in this forums i see that ALOT of people use them and i don't really get why (well i GET why but i dont like them :P), ratter than using them i tryed to use what counters them, and its really simple and offten ends up in "game"

So for Rottom i use this (and i don't know why i haven't seen other players use this EV spread)

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Adamant - Multiscale - Max HP and Atack Evs
Outrage
Fire Punch
Eathquake
Dragon dance

Dragonite is a powerhouse and just really good all round but in this particular scenario: turn 1 rottom starts, hydro miss, thunderbolt, u turn almost do no damage most likely they'll try will o whisp, you dragondance and then proceed to sweep SOMETIMES theyll have swicheroo with specs or someting wich counters this but in about 50 rottoms ive played only 1 or 2 had that.

I have the impresion that everytime i face a talonflame they do nothing.

In this format switching is really bad unless you u turn or switch into someting that you resist WHILE having bulk or are inmune to, switching often means losing half or so of a pokemon's life bar and if the oposing pokemon is faster you'll lose 1/3 of your team for nothing, why i mention this? often talonflame is like:

they send talonflame i send megakhan.

they bravebird i live, then return talonflame dies and then chances are they wont have a faster pokemon (sometimes greninja or something) then i earthquake, return OR if they have a faster pokemon i sucker punch.

Sure talonflame is a revenge killer, but i really dont see the point in using revenge killers in this format since you have only 3 pokemon in play, say:

with your first pokemon you weaken theirs, then you talonflame and then talonflame dies, oponent is at 2 pokemon and you at 1, and thats what hapens to most people i see using talonflame, i dont know, maybe my team is somehow strong against it? (im not sure how tho).

Megakan is a beast, i play it like this:

Kangaskhan @ kanganite
Jolly - Frisk - Max Atack - Speed Evs.
Sucker Punch
Earthquake
Power up punch
Return

I tryed Fake out and it was really good in some situations because you almost always "one" shoted their first pokemon, but at the end it laked something and return is alot better, earthquake is really good for Aegislash, if you pull of a power up punch and kanga is faster than the rest of their pokemon its often game, Frisk is really good because you can play mindgames ofthen times leaving you at great advantage if i see a ghost in their team if often goes like this:

I send kanga first they send whatever, i don't megaevolve, return and they switch to ghost, ghost dies or will die next turn you're at 3 pokemon and they at 2.

I think poeple has the missconception that they have to counter EVERYTHING, in a ranked system thats not enterely true, you just have to win consistently and your rating goes up, for context: i play games kinda competitevely (ranked games) was grand master league at starcraft and currently siting in diamond at league of legends, i was 1600 ranking in singles pokemon when ranked went down but i was climbing fast and easy, i play normal battles and win like 8/10 and often some loss its because of a lucky crit or some other hax.

The rest of my team goes like this:

Aegislash @ Sitrus berry
Brave - Max Attack and Hp EVS

sword dance
king's shield
sacred sword
shadow sneak

so classic aegislash combined with mindgames is really good, leftovers in singles arent really that great unless your pokemon is based on staling, sitrus berry lets you set up sword dance, often times defensive pokemon focuses on bulking defensive stats while i sword dance, sacred sword is good for that and also always good for minimize hax teams, nature IMO its important, Aegislash has to be slow to play the mindgames and also to sometimes do the 2 hit combo, (take a hit in defense mode then sacred sword and then shadow sneak) mandibuzz eats Aegi, every single pokemon has counters remember the point is winning consistently, not every single pokemon will counter or be good in every single situation.

Greninja @ life orb
Timid - Protean - max speed Satk
ice beam
hydro pump
grass knot
extrasensory

So to me greninja is a swiss knife pokemon, he stabs with everythng and life orb kinda fixes his "not so high" special atk, he one shots dragons and is good all round to kill random things, he eats mandibuzz and other physical walls and is really good all round pokemon he really helps you winning consistently because he offers alot of options, and to me thats what greninja is all about.

Garchomp @ Focus sash
Jolly - rough skin - Max atk and speed
Sword dance
Outrage
Fire fang
Earthquake

IMO pokemon that are easy to set up are good in this format (and thats what i like), garchomp is really good at doing this because of its great high base speed, you go in to something "safe" (or not so safe, thats why you have focus sash) sword dance and sweep a team, they keep pumping defense? keep pumping sword dance and when you beat that wall their team will be helpless, greninja "one shots him" but you have sash and outrage returns the favor geting locked in to outrage isnt that bad after you do a 1 for 1 trade and because of its high base speed it will often times be a 1 + some damage to a pokemon x 1, and sometimes you just sword dance, outrage, go afk and win.
on a side if they kill garchomp and kill themselves with the rough skin damage you win the game.

Venusaur @ leftovers
sleep powder
leech seed
gigadrain
sludge bomb

I tryed venusaurite and didnt worked so well, maybe i did something wrong because on paper it looked good, i almost never use leech seed, venusaur functions like some sort of bulky special ataker for me, i think i want something to replace venusaur, maybe brelom or something, sleep is broken.

list of pokemon ive used but changed them because they lacked something.

Megazard X was decent but really squishy good counter for rottom.

Noivern was "meh".

Lucario gets owned by the most common atack ever: eartquake.

Megablaziken was good but lacked something is really predictable and easy for you to set up in their "protect" turn.

Gyarados was "meh"

Scizor was "bad" but ive seen some batton pass teams doing decent with it.

Hawlucha oh i love hawlucha's design, tryed a fun set with Sky attack and power herb, since hax are good in singles and a crit or flinch sky attack often results in a dead pokemon and it hits really hard regardles, then your speed stat gets doubled because of unburden and the fun begins with acrobatics and high jump kick, really fun but really squishy and situational.

Klefki (liepard klefki) is luck dependant sometimes it performs amazingly and sometimes is really bad, you wont climb alot using this because youll win 50/50

Conkeldurr tought he would be good because of guts but not really.

Sableye was ok, but i breed him when the game came out and didnt knew half the singles meta was physical atackers so i breed him wrong with special def, ill try him again with a defensive spread.

Tyranitar and lvl 1 Aron Most hilarious thing ever, was actualy kind of a good combination and could sweep teams with it, Aron NEEDS this set: swagger, toxic, protect, endeavour or it wont work, with this set he can take down a pokemon even whitout sand, since singles are 3v3 you dont need more than 5 turns of sand, my Tyranitar had eject button to speed up the proces (because sometimes tyranitar is so bulky that you lose precious sand turns taking hits) OF COURSE this combo has ALOT of counters, but if you pull it off well (team preview is your best friend) and dont overuse it it will be so much fun (for you tho cant say the same thing for your oponent) BONUS this set is incredible in normal games because of the "all legendary and starters teams" lvl 1 Aron EATS mewtwo, xerneas and yvetail.

well hope ALL of this helps someone, ill continue my research and post results, first thing i want to do is break the 1800 rating when ranked comes online again without rotom or talonflame so wish me luck :).

Last edited:
Speaking of Articuno, I'm about to catch one and might actually try to use it in Battle Spot even though it's far from a top tier Pokémon (hey, if Zard fans are allowed to run rampant, so can those who think Articuno was the original badass, am I right?).

The problem is that pre-bank, I've essentially got one shot at it on my alternate Gen 6 cartridge and have bounced back and forth between what nature and set I should use. One thing I've never seen mentioned is a straightforward Modest Choice Scarf set, running high risk / high reward attacks like Blizzard and Hurricane, maybe with Freeze Dry now too (no harm in running it alongside Blizzard on a choice set). I guess this squanders Articuno's moderate special walling potential, but I feel kind of gross using a boring SubRoostToxic set on a legendary bird. Would a Modest Scarf set have any use, and perhaps surprise users who might think they're faster than Articuno? Probably the biggest criticism will be that Articuno's SpA still isn't high enough on a Scarf set, even with 252 EVs and Modest, but I figure it's worth asking. Or should I just go SubRoost? :/

Japanese players are spamming Carbink with stealth rock. I am seeing a lot of them, and all of them carry dual screens. A pretty good utilitymon if you ask me.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I've ended up in a number of PP stall wars with the above Muk set so I swapped out Gunk Shot for Poison Jab. I don't miss the excess power so much, but the extra 24 PP would have caused me to win a couple of games I lost from having Gunk Shot instead.

Hai thurr guise! I haven't been in the competitive scene since D/P. I was hardly even good there or spend much time there, so cut me some slack.
I found Nintendos metageme so much fun, if a bit frustrating (randomness ftw), and really like to continue playing there but I kinda need major help:
I'd really love to have/include a Clefable in my team ('cause 'cmon, she is adorable), but I have no idea how to "build" one... EVs, moves and item to hold. I'm at a loss as to what you can do with her? D:
While I'm at it, might wanna help me with a Wailord as well?

I know they're not popular, or even amazing, choices but I really like them! :D

Last edited:
Speaking of Articuno ~snip ~ a straightforward Modest Choice Scarf set, running high risk / high reward attacks like Blizzard and Hurricane, maybe with Freeze Dry now too (no harm in running it alongside Blizzard on a choice set). I guess this squanders Articuno's moderate special walling potential, but I feel kind of gross using a boring SubRoostToxic set on a legendary bird. Would a Modest Scarf set have any use, and perhaps surprise users who might think they're faster than Articuno? Probably the biggest criticism will be that Articuno's SpA still isn't high enough on a Scarf set, even with 252 EVs and Modest, but I figure it's worth asking. Or should I just go SubRoost? :/
I forgot to mention when asking this - it may also be for general link battles (6v6), not just the 3v3 singles metagame, if that affects the answer. Does anyone have any thoughts? It'll be my cartridge Articuno, so I only get one shot at its Nature for now.

Takura - I can't help on Wailord, but with Clefable there are several viable options. I like going Bold nature, Magic Guard ability, with Leftovers (though Life Orb can work too), max Def and close to max HP EVs (I like to put 12-16 in Speed to outspeed similar uninvested Pokémon like Tyranitar). With that framework, there are a few movesets you can run, e.g. Wish/Protect/Moonblast/Calm Mind for a bulky mono-attacker, or perhaps drop Wish/Protect for Moonlight instead and pick up another coverage attack like Thunderbolt. You can also go Unaware on similar sets... it's really a question of whether you fear indirect damage (e.g. Toxic) more than an opponent setting up alongside you. I'd opt for Magic Guard personally.

Hai thurr guise! I haven't been in the competitive scene since D/P. I was hardly even good there or spend much time there, so cut me some slack.
I found Nintendos metageme so much fun, if a bit frustrating (randomness ftw), and really like to continue playing there but I kinda need major help:
I'd really love to have/include a Clefable in my team ('cause 'cmon, she is adorable), but I have no idea how to "build" one... EVs, moves and item to hold. I'm at a loss as to what you can do with her? D:
While I'm at it, might wanna help me with a Wailord as well?

I know they're not popular, or even amazing, choices but I really like them! :D
Since Minimize is available in this format, I've been doing Minimize+Cosmic Power over the common Calm Mind set. I've actually had a lot of success with it.

Clefable w/ Leftovers
Bold - Unaware
252 HP/244 Def/4 SAtk/4 SDef/4 Spe
Moonlight
Minimize
Cosmic Power
Moonblast

I build her defensive since the metagame seems to be heavily physical right now. I run it with dual screens Klefki and bring it in if in preview I see a lack of anything likely to have Taunt/Encore or bulky special Pokemon (Chansey/Venusaur) that can PP stall you. Basically, I set up screens + Thunder Wave something with Klefki and then proceed to bring in Clefable to (Minimize, Cosmic Power)x2 and from there nothing can touch her. Unaware is pretty crucial to the set as it ensures nothing can set up on you and get an inevitable OHKO through your evasion boosts. Phasing moves can be worked around by having your other mons fight to their death before trying to set Clefable up (much more reasonable in 3s, though be sure to time your screens properly). You can also set up on something locked into Outrage, however good players probably won't give you that opportunity. Stored Power is also almost a legit option that would allow you to power through stuff like Venusaur, but I wouldn't recommend it as then you're cold to any Darks and are pretty much all in on your setup.

Since Minimize is available in this format, I've been doing Minimize+Cosmic Power over the common Calm Mind set. I've actually had a lot of success with it.

Clefable w/ Leftovers
Bold - Unaware
252 HP/244 Def/4 SAtk/4 SDef/4 Spe
Moonlight
Minimize
Cosmic Power
Moonblast

I build her defensive since the metagame seems to be heavily physical right now. I run it with dual screens Klefki and bring it in if in preview I see a lack of anything likely to have Taunt/Encore or bulky special Pokemon (Chansey/Venusaur) that can PP stall you. Basically, I set up screens + Thunder Wave something with Klefki and then proceed to bring in Clefable to (Minimize, Cosmic Power)x2 and from there nothing can touch her. Unaware is pretty crucial to the set as it ensures nothing can set up on you and get an inevitable OHKO through your evasion boosts. Phasing moves can be worked around by having your other mons fight to their death before trying to set Clefable up (much more reasonable in 3s, though be sure to time your screens properly). You can also set up on something locked into Outrage, however good players probably won't give you that opportunity. Stored Power is also almost a legit option that would allow you to power through stuff like Venusaur, but I wouldn't recommend it as then you're cold to any Darks and are pretty much all in on your setup.
Oh, this looks awesome! Thanks a bunch for the advice and all! :D I'ma try it. :>
I used to run a Softboiled Clefable back then, but I take it it's not available yet in XY?

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Any of you guys got a cop-out surefire method of dealing with Charizard? Its unpredictability on whether it'll be Charizard X or Charizard Y has cost me a good number of games. Like my team currently runs SpDef Rotom-H (Deals with Y obviously, but gets smashed down and set up all over by X), and Splash Plate Azumarill (Decent check for Charizard X since it resists both STABs and at least can hit a bit hard or pick off a weakened one with priority but yet dies to Y's Solar Beam), it's been kinda killing me. Like to the point I often bring both of them to a battle just because I can't ever be too sure, but I feel this can cost me a lot just from team preview if it means using up 2 Pokemon just to assure I can deal with 1.

tl;dr, Is there anything that covers MegaZard X and Y in one, or do I have to bring 2 Pokemon to the game every time I see a Charizard in team preview? Please don't suggest Rindo Berry Azumarill

Any of you guys got a cop-out surefire method of dealing with Charizard? Its unpredictability on whether it'll be Charizard X or Charizard Y has cost me a good number of games. Like my team currently runs SpDef Rotom-H (Deals with Y obviously, but gets smashed down and set up all over by X), and Splash Plate Azumarill (Decent check for Charizard X since it resists both STABs and at least can hit a bit hard or pick off a weakened one with priority but yet dies to Y's Solar Beam), it's been kinda killing me. Like to the point I often bring both of them to a battle just because I can't ever be too sure, but I feel this can cost me a lot just from team preview if it means using up 2 Pokemon just to assure I can deal with 1.

tl;dr, Is there anything that covers MegaZard X and Y in one, or do I have to bring 2 Pokemon to the game every time I see a Charizard in team preview? Please don't suggest Rindo Berry Azumarill
You could use Tyranitar... but that also might be somewhat iffy, especially against Megazard X With a DD under its belt.

Been having some fun with Mega Scizor. SpD bulky Mega Scissorhands is actually quite good. Get a SD off and go to town. Also brought a DD Shiny Tyrantrum I've been wanting to show off, but I've never found a battle to use it in. Maybe I'll put a scarf on it?

Also after trolling around in the BS I fought this guy.

U9EW-WWWW-WWW3-K375

Somebody tell me wtf was this guy's game plan?

Also after trolling around in the BS I fought this guy.

U9EW-WWWW-WWW3-K375

Somebody tell me wtf was this guy's game plan?
Well, I don't think he was counting on getting critted. Maybe he wants to spam a ton of boosts so he can complain about hax every time he loses?

I dunno, in all honesty he did alright getting a TON of defensive boosts onto one Pokémon, though Meowstic was almost a waste. Using Goodra as your boost recipient sweeper is kind of pointless if all you do is spam Acid Armor, though. I would've gone for evasion on Drifblim, personally, especially with Aegislash gone. I guess he figured he was 1 turn away from a "win condition" in terms of defense boosts right before he got killed by a crit.

Does anyone have any thoughts on my Articuno posts? My alt cartridge has been collecting dust because I've barely had time to run any calcs, so I was hoping someone could offer some guidance about whether Modest Scarf is a bust compared to a boring Pressure-based SubRoostToxic set.

Well, I don't think he was counting on getting critted. Maybe he wants to spam a ton of boosts so he can complain about hax every time he loses?

I dunno, in all honesty he did alright getting a TON of defensive boosts onto one Pokémon, though Meowstic was almost a waste. Using Goodra as your boost recipient sweeper is kind of pointless if all you do is spam Acid Armor, though. I would've gone for evasion on Drifblim, personally, especially with Aegislash gone. I guess he figured he was 1 turn away from a "win condition" in terms of defense boosts right before he got killed by a crit.

Does anyone have any thoughts on my Articuno posts? My alt cartridge has been collecting dust because I've barely had time to run any calcs, so I was hoping someone could offer some guidance about whether Modest Scarf is a bust compared to a boring Pressure-based SubRoostToxic set.
I suppose, but he already had a shitton of defense boosts, and if he saw I was going tot +6 with SD he should have Flamethrowered or Fire Blasted or something. And why waste all that time Acid Armoring when he could have just used Reflect? I was waiting for it to go down so I could Bullet Punch. Perhaps that's what killed him?

It's times like these that I really want to put Sableye back on my team. Currently running MScizor/Tyrantrum/Talonflame/Aegislash/Rotom-W/Gastrodon. No idea who to take out (def not Scissorhands or mah shiny Tyrantrum), as I've taken out each other mon once and each but them right back in because of how I missed their utility. Mixed Aegislash eats walls/underprepared teams for breakfast. Rotom-W has that amazing ground immunity and WoW and Hydro Pump are very useful. Gastrodon is amazing simply because it counters Rotom-W like crazy and can out stall enemies with Recover if they're burned, and is also surprisingly bulky. Talonflame is to beat all the Grass types that pop up because I run two Water types.

Anyone know of a good Taunter that could work well with what I have?

Edit: About that Goodra...

+6 40+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. +6 252 HP / 0 Def Goodra: 139-165 (36.1 - 42.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

This is just speculation, I have no idea if he was running 252 HP or not. But it does look like I got lucky with that crit.

Last edited:
Anyone know of a good Taunter that could work well with what I have?
I have a list of mons I want to work on getting, sorted roughly by what they can do, and among the list of Taunt users I have Weavile and Mandibuzz. Both are popular among high rated players, so maybe you wanted something a bit less Flavor of the Month, but those two would get my recommendation. They are both fast Taunt users that can serve different purposes; Weavile with Taunt can stop foes who have very few threatening attacks and then use the switch-out as Swords Dance fodder, while Mandibuzz is a solid wall that can make use of Taunt and abilities like Toxic or Foul Play to cripple set-up sweepers (and heal with Roost). Among the choices you listed, I'd take out Aegislash or Gastrodon, but hell, you could take out Rotom-W or Talonflame if you don't want to be like everybody else.

I have also heard Taunt (Mega?) Gyarados mentioned but cannot speak to its potential.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)