5th Gen PRNG Help / Info - Latest: RNG Reporter 9.96.5, PPRNG 1.15.0

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
In the guides you read they must have been very clear that in the Time Finder Window the min/max frame must be set to 1 (both) to simplify the RNG process since is kinda difficult to accurately advance the IVRNG. Also the time finder is ONLY to get a seed for a desired IV's spread (in your case a HP Fire spread), for any other info of the pokemon (nature, shininess, gender, ability, etc) you need to input the seed you found onto the RNG main window. I suggest you to re-check the guides you used and post any question on this thread.

About the "nearby shiny frames", i think you don't use it for 5th gen RNG, but don't quote me on this since i'm not sure. I always searched shininess on the main window.
The time finder used both for IV's and the PID. To clarify, if you want a shiny, you have to click the "nearby shiny frame" (even for gen 5) so that way you can find the appropriate seeds. So you would input all the relevant info (shininess/nature/iv's etc) into the time finder.

Edit: To be clearer, you could just use the time finder to find the seeds for the Iv's that you want (which is what you are doing by choosing the IV (standard seed) method). By putting in the nature/etc that you want as well, the reporter limits the results to match your input so that you do not have to search all the valid seeds for your IV's in order to find one that has a reasonable shiny frame as well.

tl;dr. Putting in all of the info/stats you want in the time finder allows the reporter to do all of the search work for you, making it a lot easier to find what you want. So you want to check "nearby shiny frames" if you want a shiny

Last edited:
When I'm searching for my White 2 parameters, I get two search results. That's all well and good, but when I perform more spinner checks and put them into PPRNG, I end up with no search results. Can anyone explain what's going on?

Also, I'm having trouble even syncing my 3DS to an external clock because the 3DS has a delay from when you set the time to when it actually changes it.

EDIT: Just tried again, got 4 results. Did one more spin check, got no results. Rather frustrating and I'm not even at the actual RNG process yet.

SECOND EDIT: Did it again and I finally got it down to one seed result :) but I have to do this multiple times right?

THIRD EDIT: Great, my Vcount and Vframe are very inconsistent despite what the guide says. I'm doing something wrong and have no clue. Help please?

Last edited:
Really, the only things the guides don't clarify is where too look for the PIDRNG frames (the one that advances w/ Chatots)
Is the frame on the results of Gen 5 PIDRNG the PIDRNG frame itself? Or is it just an IV frame?
Is the "shiny frame" an IV frame or a PIDRNG frame?
Where in the reporter does it indicate PIDRNG frames?
For example, my desired IV frame is 152. The shiny frame is 244. If I RNG my TID/SID so that the shiny frame is 152, does that mean that the desired IV frame 152 is also a shiny?
I mean, when I use Gen 5 PIDRNG (either on the time finder or the main reporter window), it only says "frame" on the results so I'm not sure whether it's referring to the IV frame or the PIDRNG frame.

Also, if I set the time finder window min/max to 1, I don't get any desirable results.

Meanwhile I'm using a sweet scenter (traded) and pokecheck.
BTW, the pokemon can be any level as long as I'm using pokecheck right?

Anyways, once I defeat the WNPC in dreamyard, can't I just save the game and so he stays still forever and not affect the PIDRNG anymore? Why did it still affect Sidfrid's PIDRNG frame by 3 even after the WNPC was defeated?

Last edited:
Really, the only things the guides don't clarify is where too look for the PIDRNG frames (the one that advances w/ Chatots)
Is the frame on the results of Gen 5 PIDRNG the PIDRNG frame itself? Or is it just an IV frame?
If you checked the "search for nearby shiny frames" and set the min/max frame to 1, and according to what user shiny finder says, the "frames" you see are PIDRNG.

To clarify, you already told RNG Reporter which IV frame to search (min frame 1 and max frame 1). So all the results you get are PID. For general purpose (when "search for shiny frames" is not checked) all the frames on Time finder are IV frames and the frames on Main window are PID frames

Again, forget that IV frame of 152, as I told you is very inconsisted to advance the IV frame. Onto the no getting results if you set min/max to 1, try all the month if still you don't get results try all the month of another year until you find an usable seed (may take a while, you can also try activating keypresses).

Also yes, the pokemons can be any level as long as you use pokecheck to check for their IV's

The WNPC in dreamyard will only stay still the first time you defeat him, when you exit and re-enter the are he will start moving and advancing your frames. But if you defeat him and save WITHOUT exiting dreamyard he will stay still so you can get Latios.

Last edited:
The time finder gives a "frame" and a "shiny frame" though; if frame is IV, I'm guessing shiny frame is PID.
min/max 1/1 won't give me the IVs I need; tried several years, all months, all keypresses
The IV frame advancement doesn't really bother me much; just wanted to make sure when I perform the RNG, I'm actually using the proper numbers and frames they correspond to.
That WNPC you mentioned may be a bit troublesome with the PIDRNG frame advancement though.
I think I read somewhere that trainer battles advance frames (IV or PIDRNG, I forgot which) extremely fast (~60/sec) so I can't really just save before battling him and try to proceed to RNG Latios.
I guess I'll just leave the WNPC alone, do some trial and error, hope to get lucky.

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Is the frame on the results of Gen 5 PIDRNG the PIDRNG frame itself? Yes those are the PID frames Or is it just an IV frame? In the main window, by choosing the "PIDRNG" it only shows you the PID frames. It does not show you the IV frames for when using that method.

Is the "shiny frame" an IV frame or a PIDRNG frame? It's a PID frame. In this gen, the IV's and the PID (and hence shininess) are handled by two different rng's.

Where in the reporter does it indicate PIDRNG frames? Both the main window (when the Gen V PIDRNG method is selected, as you described before), and in the Time Finder. As you said, in the Time Finder, "frame" is the IV frame, and "shiny frame" is the PID frame you have to advance with Chatots.

For example, my desired IV frame is 152. The shiny frame is 244. If I RNG my TID/SID so that the shiny frame is 152, does that mean that the desired IV frame 152 is also a shiny? Again, they are handled by two different generators. So if you rng your id's, you would rng them so that the PID frame of 244 is shiny, and not the IV frame of 152. So you would make frame 244 shiny by rnging your id's, and then advance the IV frame to 152 by walking and advance the PID frames to your new shiny frame of 244 with Chatots.

I mean, when I use Gen 5 PIDRNG (either on the time finder or the main reporter window), it only says "frame" on the results so I'm not sure whether it's referring to the IV frame or the PIDRNG frame.
By using the method of PIDRNG, it only shows you the PID frames. So those frames are the PID frames.

hope that clarifies it a little bit :).

If you checked the "search for nearby shiny frames" and set the min/max frame to 1, and according to what user shiny finder says, the "frames" you see are PIDRNG.

To clarify, you already told RNG Reporter which IV frame to search (min frame 1 and max frame 1). So all the results you get are PID. For general purpose (when "search for shiny frames" are is checked) all the frames on Time finder are IV frames and the frames on Main window are PID frames.
Well, the Time Finder still has both IV frame and shiny frame listed. If you choose min/max frame to 1, then all of the numbers in the "frame" column will be 1, indicating that this is the IV frame. There is the additional column of "shiny frame" when "search for shiny frames" is checked, that indicates the PID frame. But yes, by choosing the method of PIDRNG in the main window, all you will see are the PID frames. Sorry I can't post a ss, I don't have have access to the reporter now.

The time finder gives a "frame" and a "shiny frame" though; if frame is IV, I'm guessing shiny frame is PID. Yup, that's right.

The IV frame advancement doesn't really bother me much; just wanted to make sure when I perform the RNG, I'm actually using the proper numbers and frames they correspond to. Note that when you walk in an area with wild Pokemon, even if you are not in the grass, the PID frame will advance as well when you walk (after every certain amount of steps, maybe 20 or so, but I don't remember exactly). Can't confirm if that will also be the case if you are walking on that upper region where you encounter Lati@s, but I would imagine it still would advance when you walk. So you would have to take that into account when you use Chatot.

That WNPC you mentioned may be a bit troublesome with the PIDRNG frame advancement though.
I think I read somewhere that trainer battles advance frames (IV or PIDRNG, I forgot which) extremely fast (~60/sec) so I can't really just save before battling him and try to proceed to RNG Latios. When you are ready to RNG Latios, find that WNPC and battle him, making sure that he walks at least 1 tile to battle you (iirc). Then save, and rng Latios as normal. As long as you don't leave the Dreamyard, he won't move and advance the frame.

I guess I'll just leave the WNPC alone, do some trial and error, hope to get lucky. That works too :)

Last edited:
I see, thank you very much.
I'll try the method you mentioned for the WNPC; I thought he would move again after I save and reboot the game.
Do WNPC still advance the frames even if I'm on the pokemon status screen?
Let's say I found the IVs I want at frame 1 so I don't have to advance it. However, the shiny PIDRNG frame is around 100. I save in front of Latios, hit my IV frame seed time, and go to the pokemon status screen as fast as possible and do my chatot flips.

Meanwhile, I found a seed I want at IV frame 22, (21 advancements = walk 7x128 steps w/ 3 pokemon in party, the exact same way every trial so the PID also advances the same amount everytime). Shiny PID frame is 154, initial PID frame is 58, but I will just look for trends in nature (sync not in lead) and increase the number of chatot flips by 1 after taking the steps per trial to find my shifted starting frame.

Also, if I dont battle the WNPC first, will he shift the PID frames by the same amount if I do the 7x128 steps the exact same way to hit my IV frame? If not, I guess I'll just battle him and save. Though this means no leaving dreamyard until I successfully get my shiny hp-fire Latios, which means I have to be 100% sure that I can actually make it happen.

If all else fails, I guess I could just search thoroughly for the IV seed I want with min/max at 1 (no advancements needed), calculate initial PIDRNG frame; RNG my TID/SID so that the initial PIDRNG frame is shiny. So all I need to do is save before Latios hit the seed and initial battle (since no more need to advance for both IV and PIDRING frames).

Last edited:
How do I efficiently RNG for Ditto? I looked up all my seeds (for several Hidden Power Types), but since the Great Chasm is foggy, I can't use Sweet Scent and I always keep running into random stuff that isn't Ditto. Is there any way to remove the fog or any tip for going for Ditto?

I'm using 9.96.5 to find a seed for a shiny Cresselia with various other parameters on my White 2. I have the shiny charm on that game and I looked into it and it looks like it really shouldn't affect other seeds that would be shiny before getting the charm. But, why is the Shiny Charm option only for breeding? Does it not work for wild pokemon or has it not been implemented yet?

Sephirona

t-t-t-tubearrific. (✿≖ᴗ≖) ・゚✧*:・゚✧
is a Top Artist Alumnus
How do I efficiently RNG for Ditto? I looked up all my seeds (for several Hidden Power Types), but since the Great Chasm is foggy, I can't use Sweet Scent and I always keep running into random stuff that isn't Ditto. Is there any way to remove the fog or any tip for going for Ditto?
According to the third post of this thread:

• To remove fog or sand storm in any area, follow these steps as your last part of setting up to abuse.
      • Save the game in the area you are abusing.
      • Change your DS clock's date to one month ahead of what you just saved at in game.
      • Enter the game at any time and encounter a wild Pokemon. When the battle ends, the season will change and the fog/sand will disappear.
      • Save your game, now you can start abusing on whatever date your seed dictates.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm using 9.96.5 to find a seed for a shiny Cresselia with various other parameters on my White 2. I have the shiny charm on that game and I looked into it and it looks like it really shouldn't affect other seeds that would be shiny before getting the charm. But, why is the Shiny Charm option only for breeding? Does it not work for wild pokemon or has it not been implemented yet?
Hasn't been implemented yet, I think. RNGR is kinda dead at the present time, since Slash has been busy with other stuff.

Hey, I'll try to keep this short

I'm new to RNG-abuse. I have read a couple guides including the original post of this thread.
I am having a hard time understanding the relation between the two separate RNG systems.
Can someone explain to me how these systems relate to form one pokemon?

Here is my recent attempt;
http://i.imgur.com/Yn3Wh9s.png?1

I pressed "A" on my DS-fat at 00:00:07 because I am told the DS-fat has a 1 second delay before seeding of the game actually begins.
That seems to be working for me because I am "hitting all my seeds" (I think that's the proper phrase).
I am hitting every IV spread that I want, almost every time. I am practicing on stationary Cobalion now and I have gotten the correct IV spread multiple times.
However I cannot nail the PIDRNG, it is a mystery to me.

In the above attempt, I started at frame 47 and tracked them all the way up to frame 120.
Every single frame matched the pitch listed by RNG Reporter! Near the end, I heard the mid-low, high, mid, low, high that I was looking for, I listened to 1 last chatot chirp which was a low pitch.
I thought, "Great, I am on frame 120 right now! This should be a shiny!" However, it was not a shiny. And when I caught it, it had a Bashful nature; not what was predicted at all.
However, it does have Hidden Power Water, just like the Time Finder predicted, and it has the correct IV's! So it appears that my IVRNG was spot on once again, yet my PIDRNG was completely off, like normal!
How could this be when I was tracking all the correct Chatot pitches? Could something like random Timer0 variation cause this?

[INSERT]: AH, DAMN, I just had a realization. So, the way the frames work is that when one is used, it moves on to the next frame, eh?
So when I actually listened to the Chatot on frame 120 (the final low-pitched chirp that I listened to), that actually forced the frame to !!FRAME 121!! and not frame 120.
So I should have stopped at the High(92) pitched chirp and talked to Cobalion? Damn, I just ruined it. Oh well, I might have answered most of my own question,
but if someone could confirm this/answer the below questions I would be really appreciative

Also, could someone help me understand what the (#) next to the Chatot Pitch is? For example, when it says Low(10), what does the 10 mean?

I just really need to understand the underlying mechanics behind what the RNG Reporter is trying to do to relate the PIDRNG and IVRNG, I think if I understood that I would know what to look for.
Is it trying to run calculations that will find an INTERSECTION between when the desired IVRNG results will coincide with the desired PIDRNG result?

Thanks for all help.

With respect,
Robo.

Last edited:
With respect,
Robo.
I DID IT!!! MY REALIZATION WAS CORRECT!
I rediscovered that same seed and then I went through the same process, following the pitches again.
Then I only listened up to *****FRAME 119*****, talking to Cobalion right after that, and a shiny Cobalion appeared!!!!!!

I'm pumped. Now let's see if I can retry for good IV's on top of Shiny and Nature!

Need help understanding what this means, for the latest rng reporter. What is an eon timer?

• Timer0 ranges are much wider. Some people have 12-15 different Timer0s. Tip: Using Eon Timer to hit your seed greatly increases your consistency for hitting a specific Timer0.

Need help understanding what this means, for the latest rng reporter. What is an eon timer?

• Timer0 ranges are much wider. Some people have 12-15 different Timer0s. Tip: Using Eon Timer to hit your seed greatly increases your consistency for hitting a specific Timer0.

Timer0 is one of the values used to seed your game. In B/W there are 2 Timer0's but one is MUCH more commom than the other (you can do all your RNG with just one Timer0), however, this changed in B/W2 where the Timer0 range are way more. For example I have two commons Timer0 on my black2 game and 4 others less commons (this means sometimes I hit a different timer0 and thus got a different seed). From all the values you got by calibrating your game, Timer0 is the only one that can change and you CANNOT control it.

The Eon timer is a cronometer program made by Toast++, you can read about it and dowload it in this thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/eontimer-zomgtimer.81513/

It use is highly recommend because is inmensely usuful and accurate in comparison from any other clock or cronometer program (because it was made specifically for RNG)

Also when I hit time finder and set my profile what goes in the timer0 min and max
If you haven't calibrated, just select your DS type, game language and the other stuff and RNG Reporter will do all the work for you (this is onto the "find DS parameters" tab). If you have already calibrated, input BOTH boxes the Timer0 you want to use to search for seeds (this on the "profile" tab).

edit: Issues :
Just keep the Mode to standard (since i suppose you want standard seeds no c-gear seeds), the calibration start at -95 but this value is only neccessary when using c-gear seeds so just let it be. On target seconds you need to input the seconds you need to hit (remember when you searched a seed on time finder? well the seconds of that seed is what you use). The "seconds hit" is again a c-gear exclusive fuction, you probably won't use it.

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Could something like random Timer0 variation cause this?

[INSERT]: AH, DAMN, I just had a realization. So, the way the frames work is that when one is used, it moves on to the next frame, eh?
So when I actually listened to the Chatot on frame 120 (the final low-pitched chirp that I listened to), that actually forced the frame to !!FRAME 121!! and not frame 120.
So I should have stopped at the High(92) pitched chirp and talked to Cobalion? Damn, I just ruined it. Oh well, I might have answered most of my own question,
but if someone could confirm this/answer the below questions I would be really appreciative

Also, could someone help me understand what the (#) next to the Chatot Pitch is? For example, when it says Low(10), what does the 10 mean?

I just really need to understand the underlying mechanics behind what the RNG Reporter is trying to do to relate the PIDRNG and IVRNG, I think if I understood that I would know what to look for.
Is it trying to run calculations that will find an INTERSECTION between when the desired IVRNG results will coincide with the desired PIDRNG result?

Thanks for all help.

With respect,
Robo.
The fact that you were getting the right IV's means that you were hitting the correct seed. If you were getting the wrong Timer0, the IV's would have been wrong as well.

It seems like you understand it now, but to confirm, after Chatot's call is heard, the frame is advanced. So as you figured (and found out), you were hearing the call on Frame 120, causing it to advance to frame 121 (Bashful).

The number is just a reference to give you a better idea of the pitch. So a Low(5) would have a slightly lower pitch than a Low(10). If it just said Low, it would be a lot harder to follow, especially if you got 5 "Low" frames in a row for example.

In a sense, yes, it is looking for the intersection. So it is trying to find a seed that has both the IV's and the desired nature/shininess etc so that you can advances the frames (somewhat individually) to get your shiny with the IV's you want. I know that was kinda vague, so let me know if you don't understand and I'll try to clarify. Seems like you have a good grasp of the concept though.

I know that was kinda vague, so let me know if you don't understand and I'll try to clarify. Seems like you have a good grasp of the concept though.
Yeah, that all makes sense, thanks.

When I hit the "calculate initial PIDRNG frame" button in RNG reporter,
it produced the number 47 in the case of that Cobalion project. However, it seemed that I actually started on frame 48. Is RNG reporter wrong sometimes?

I have started some other projects and I can't seem to find any Chatot chirp patterns that I recognize from the RNG reporter window; simply nothing matches.
Could I just be getting a bad Timer0 value or maybe there is a hidden NPC somewhere I don't know about? I was trying in Giant Chasm (the plains area) for a Ditto but
my Chatot pitches did not match where I was supposed to be.. there are no NPC's there that I know of.

EDIT i just hit my seed, lol
I am having trouble hitting my standard seed for flawless Iv Terrakion on Black 2

I am using 3ds XL

this the date and time of the seed

12/11/2013 5:02:08

I have found my parameters, have found a consistent timer0 (1685) and have a frame of 1 and my actual seconds are 56 but started game at 50. so i have an offset of 6 secs
Ive saved right in front of it facing it i have 5 pokemon in my party and have held my keypress L before and till the gamefreak star bursts, ive used the eon timer to start the game at at 5:02:02 to hit my offset of 6 secs and have tried starting at 5:02:08 as well if that wasnt the proper method. i did hit stationary pokemon and standard seed when generating the seed, not sure what im doing wrong.

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Yeah, that all makes sense, thanks.

When I hit the "calculate initial PIDRNG frame" button in RNG reporter,
it produced the number 47 in the case of that Cobalion project. However, it seemed that I actually started on frame 48. Is RNG reporter wrong sometimes?

I have started some other projects and I can't seem to find any Chatot chirp patterns that I recognize from the RNG reporter window; simply nothing matches.
Could I just be getting a bad Timer0 value or maybe there is a hidden NPC somewhere I don't know about? I was trying in Giant Chasm (the plains area) for a Ditto but
my Chatot pitches did not match where I was supposed to be.. there are no NPC's there that I know of.
There have been cases when the reporter has been wrong, such as with the characteristics (not sure if that is still true of the most recent version, but I think that issue was fixed), but in the case of the starting frame I have never heard of it being wrong before. I suppose it is possible, but I've never experienced that issue before, nor have I read of anyone else having that issue. So in general, I think it's safe to go with what starting frame the reporter tells you.

I don't believe there are any NPC's there. If there were, the calls would still match up, but you would be shifted by a couple of frames. The fact that nothing sounds right indicates that you hit the wrong seed. So I would say that, yes, you got the wrong Timer0.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm guessing you didn't select the proper method under PIDRNG. Depending on what you're doing, the initial starting frame can change a few frames.

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
I'm guessing you didn't select the proper method under PIDRNG. Depending on what you're doing, the initial starting frame can change a few frames.
It has been a while, but I think this set-up looks right (http://i.imgur.com/Yn3Wh9s.png?1). It sounds like (s)he is going by the chatters, and there are 3 lows right at the beginning so it's also possible that (s)he miscounted or misinterpreted the starting frame.

thanks for the tips sidfrid, shiny finder
my shiny hp-fire-70 latios RNG is a success!!
for me, i didn't battle the WNPC, just saved and quickly did my chatot noises so the WNPC woudn't have a chance to disrupt the frames
took several tries but it's all good =)

If I'm trying to go for a sweet scent/wild encounter, what should my settings be? You don't have to go through everything, it would help if you could just tell me what the Method and Encounter Type settings should be in BOTH windows (time finder AND the main window).

edit: and as a side question, IVRNG frames and PIDRNG frames are different?
PIDRNG frames are advanced by chatot pitches, and IVRNG frames are advanced by... what, walking 128 steps? What else? And do you have to advance your IVRNG frames first before you advance your PIDRNG frames?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 20)