5th Gen PRNG Help / Info - Latest: RNG Reporter 9.96.5, PPRNG 1.15.0

I'm trying to RNG my ID/SID in White version. I understand that after finding a target seed, I'm supposed to try to hit it (with no frame advancements), then use Pandora's Box to find out what frame I hit. However, when I plug my info into the "Seed Finder" area, I get no results. I'm not sure if it's supposed to take time to search or not, but clicking the "Find Seed Hit" button does absolutely nothing (except clear the results pane of the results I searched for using the "Search By" feature). If it matters, I have no current save file.

I'm trying to RNG my ID/SID in White version. I understand that after finding a target seed, I'm supposed to try to hit it (with no frame advancements), then use Pandora's Box to find out what frame I hit. However, when I plug my info into the "Seed Finder" area, I get no results. I'm not sure if it's supposed to take time to search or not, but clicking the "Find Seed Hit" button does absolutely nothing (except clear the results pane of the results I searched for using the "Search By" feature). If it matters, I have no current save file.
Are you sure you're entering the right time and such? Sounds like it isn't finding any results for what you're entering/timer0 troll as usual. Also, rngreporter version?

Mattapod

bad clarinet music
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
is it possible for npcs to negatively advance the pid?

im going for something that only requires only 1 PId advancement, but keep catching the PiD right before, as if im not advancing it. i am doing 1 chatter though..

im going for something that only requires only 1 PId advancement, but keep catching the PiD right before, as if im not advancing it. i am doing 1 chatter though..
Shouldn't be possible (according to my knowledge)

Does the Chatot actually have a chatter recorded?

Mattapod

bad clarinet music
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Shouldn't be possible (according to my knowledge)
Does the Chatot actually have a chatter recorded?

yup it was the weirdest thing. i was outside at viribank complex (which i thought had no npcs). every mon i caught, regardless of if i hit my seed or not, was pid 0. so i switched to doing two chatot chatters, and they were all PiD 1. i got the magnemite on the third try doing 2 chatters instead of one.

then i go to castelia city and everything lines up.

is it more likely pprng was off about my initial pid, and thought it was 1 advancement further than it was?

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Only your min Timer0 is used when using Pandora's Box. As Timey suggested, you can check your adjacents by changing the Timer0 saved in your profile. Sounds like it might be timer trolling. Make sure that you have everything entered correctly in the Reporter and your DS (i.e. date/time). As a side note, the starting frames are sometimes off, so you might actually start after your target frame. If that's the case here, make sure you have a min search frame lower than the starting frame shown. On the same note, you can try widening your search parameters.

To answer your first question, NPCs can't negatively advance the frame.

I haven't heard reports saying that the initial frame was calculated wrong, but I suppose nothing is impossible (although you would think those reports would be more prevalent if that was the case). Have you used the Memory Link? That can shift the starting PID frame back by one on some seeds.

Only your min Timer0 is used when using Pandora's Box. As Timey suggested, you can check your adjacents by changing the Timer0 saved in your profile. Sounds like it might be timer trolling. Make sure that you have everything entered correctly in the Reporter and your DS (i.e. date/time). As a side note, the starting frames are sometimes off, so you might actually start after your target frame. If that's the case here, make sure you have a min search frame lower than the starting frame shown. On the same note, you can try widening your search parameters.
Okay, I finally got an ID that showed up in Pandora's Box. It's frame 32, initial 19. My target is frame 35, initial 28. How many advances do I need? 3? I'm confused by the inclusion of the whole "initial" thing.

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Okay, I finally got an ID that showed up in Pandora's Box. It's frame 32, initial 19. My target is frame 35, initial 28. How many advances do I need? 3? I'm confused by the inclusion of the whole "initial" thing.
Are the seeds the same (i.e. does the seed that shows up match the seed you are aiming for?)? If not, then you missed your Timer0. Technically, you just have to go by the target/initial frames associated with the IDs you want to hit. So in this case, you would have to do 35-28 = 7 advances.

If you did advances and got the ID that showed up (and the seeds match), then use the 32. So, if the seeds match, then you should have to do 3 advances.

Are the seeds the same (i.e. does the seed that shows up match the seed you are aiming for?)? If not, then you missed your Timer0. Technically, you just have to go by the target/initial frames associated with the IDs you want to hit. So in this case, you would have to do 35-28 = 7 advances.

If you did advances and got the ID that showed up (and the seeds match), then use the 32. So, if the seeds match, then you should have to do 3 advances.
The seeds do match. When I got the 32/19, I did no advances. I'm still confused, though... do I do 3 advances or 7?

EDIT: Got it at 3 :)

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
The seeds do match. When I got the 32/19, I did no advances. I'm still confused, though... do I do 3 advances or 7?
I'm a little rusty tbh, but I think it would be the 3. When you do any number of advances, you look at the frame number to see where you're at. I don't see why 0 advances would be any different.

Edit for conviction: Your best bet would be to just ignore the initial frame column, since that can be wrong. Since you did 0 advances, treat the 32 as your starting frame. Your target is still the 35, so try doing 3 advances.

Last edited:
I have a question about dream radar legendaries. I know that in the guide it says to clear the game of any previously caught pokemon. Does it matter though if you capture pokemon after catching the legendaries? I want to RNG all the legendaries but there are also a few breedable pokemon that I want from the game as well.

I have a question about dream radar legendaries. I know that in the guide it says to clear the game of any previously caught pokemon. Does it matter though if you capture pokemon after catching the legendaries? I want to RNG all the legendaries but there are also a few breedable pokemon that I want from the game as well.
Capture as in RNGing as well or just capturing? If just capturing, it doesn't matter but for rnging you should only be importing one mon at a time.

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
As Timey advised, you'd be better off importing the legendaries solo. To elaborate though, when it comes to RNGing normal Pokemon (or really the legendaries if you must), you're fine to import several at once. However, you'd only really be able to RNG one of the group most of the time (since the IVs and natures probably won't match up to rng 2 Pokemon at once).

Although the Therians are technically received first, they are treated as slot 2 Pokemon when imported solo. Tbh, I'm not sure how having a Pokemon in Slot 1 (i.e. a normal Pokemon) would affect it, if at all. This situation is not well-documented, so it should be avoided (as mentioned in almost every guide on DR abuse).

edit:Thinking about it you'd (probably) be fine RNGing the Therian in this case, since they are generated first. However, I do not know what would happen if you try to RNG a normal Pokemon while also importing a Therian.

So to answer your question, it might matter (as much of a non-answer that is). To avoided any issues though, you should import/rng the normal Pokemon first, and then go capture/import the legendary. Once you do that, you can go capture other breedables.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm calibrating my Ds, and followed the 5th gen steps in the "4rth and 5th Gen RNG Callibration" guide. what I'm not sure about is whether I do this once or more? There's the "results" box, but there's also the "Min" and "Max" section...do I rely on the former or do I keep repeating the steps until Min and Max numbers are the same? Thanks!

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Ok, I'm calibrating my Ds, and followed the 5th gen steps in the "4rth and 5th Gen RNG Callibration" guide. what I'm not sure about is whether I do this once or more? There's the "results" box, but there's also the "Min" and "Max" section...do I rely on the former or do I keep repeating the steps until Min and Max numbers are the same? Thanks!
The Min/Max columns (associated with the Seconds, VCount, VFrame, Timer0, etc) are just the search ranges that the Reporter searches over to find the seed/parameters you got. With the exception of the GxStat, those columns won't be the same (and shouldn't be unless you already know the parameters you got). Unless you're not getting any results, you really don't have to mess with those columns. The seconds will be automatically filled when you enter the Date/time you launched the game.

You are supposed to calibrate your DS several times in order to find your most common Timer0 (it will fluctuate between more than 1 value). You'l find all of the other parameters should remain relatively stable. So in terms of finding your parameters, you only really care about what comes up in the results section (the bottom window with the Actual Seconds, VCount, Timer0, Gxstat, etc columns). You keep calibrating until you are confident you found your most common Timer0.

The Min/Max columns (associated with the Seconds, VCount, VFrame, Timer0, etc) are just the search ranges that the Reporter searches over to find the seed/parameters you got. With the exception of the GxStat, those columns won't be the same (and shouldn't be unless you already know the parameters you got). Unless you're not getting any results, you really don't have to mess with those columns. The seconds will be automatically filled when you enter the Date/time you launched the game.

You are supposed to calibrate your DS several times in order to find your most common Timer0 (it will fluctuate between more than 1 value). You'l find all of the other parameters should remain relatively stable. So in terms of finding your parameters, you only really care about what comes up in the results section (the bottom window with the Actual Seconds, VCount, Timer0, Gxstat, etc columns). You keep calibrating until you are confident you found your most common Timer0.
Thanks! :) is the Timer0 number the only number in the results that counts, or do I need to note down every number in every results?

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Thanks! :) is the Timer0 number the only number in the results that counts, or do I need to note down every number in every results?
You're welcome! Every number counts, so you'll need to take note of them (except for the seed...that doesn't really matter here). Once you find your parameters, you'll need to enter them into a Profile (or use the "Save to Profile" Button). For the actual seconds column, what you really care about is the difference between the time you entered (into the Date/Time fields) and the actual seconds. The difference (commonly referred to as the delay) determines what time you'll need to hit your seed when you actually go to RNG.

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
GxStat is fixed depending on if you're soft resetting / hard resetting, so as long as you're not changing that you shouldn't need to note it down.
Actual Seconds is quite important (as long as you also note down the time you pressed "A" at). Any time you search for a seed, what you see will be the "actual seconds" time you need to hit. So if you're "actual seconds" is always (for example) 3 seconds after when you pressed "A", then when going for a seed, you'll want to press A 3 seconds earlier than the listed time.
I believe VCount can (occasionally) change, but this is less likely, and only likely to switch between two values if it does.
VFrame (AFAIK) shouldn't change, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
But yes, Timer0's the one which likes to randomly mess around and jump between a plethora of values.

Edit: What I said above applies for keeping note of every trial. Obviously you'll want to note them all down at least once.

GxStat is fixed depending on if you're soft resetting / hard resetting, so as long as you're not changing that you shouldn't need to note it down.
Actual Seconds is quite important (as long as you also note down the time you pressed "A" at). Any time you search for a seed, what you see will be the "actual seconds" time you need to hit. So if you're "actual seconds" is always (for example) 3 seconds after when you pressed "A", then when going for a seed, you'll want to press A 3 seconds earlier than the listed time.
I believe VCount can (occasionally) change, but this is less likely, and only likely to switch between two values if it does.
VFrame (AFAIK) shouldn't change, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
But yes, Timer0's the one which likes to randomly mess around and jump between a plethora of values.

Edit: What I said above applies for keeping note of every trial. Obviously you'll want to note them all down at least once.
Ok, so how do I know when I've gotten the parameters? When I've gone through the process enough times that I'm usually getting the same Timer0? If so, how do I know which of the other numbers are part of my parameters?

I'm confused because while I understand doing the process over and over until you can tell which value in one particular column is the most commonly reoccuring one, I'm not sure how I calculate my parameters from there...

.com

Grumpy old man
Ok, so how do I know when I've gotten the parameters? When I've gone through the process enough times that I'm usually getting the same Timer0? If so, how do I know which of the other numbers are part of my parameters?

I'm confused because while I understand doing the process over and over until you can tell which value in one particular column is the most commonly reoccuring one, I'm not sure how I calculate my parameters from there...
The other values should be pretty much fixed (if it's not, it's likely that you're getting false positives and the values you've found aren't actually your parameters).

So yeah, once you've got all the values once (other than Timer0), you should be pretty confident that those are the values that any result you find from that point on will have [and those are then your parameters]. The Timer0 is the only one (with the possible exception of VCount as I mentioned above) where finding the most frequent one is really part of the process, the others you find once, and then they should be fixed from then on.

The other values should be pretty much fixed (if it's not, it's likely that you're getting false positives and the values you've found aren't actually your parameters).

So yeah, once you've got all the values once (other than Timer0), you should be pretty confident that those are the values that any result you find from that point on will have [and those are then your parameters]. The Timer0 is the only one (with the possible exception of VCount as I mentioned above) where finding the most frequent one is really part of the process, the others you find once, and then they should be fixed from then on.
Ahh then I'm definitely doing something wrong, because most of my numbers are different each time, and I usually get more than one result with each search x_x

Here's what I'm doing:

(Saved Standing in grass to the right of Nimbasa City with a sweet scent poke in my party)

Set the time 1:23, restart DS

Watch clock until it's 19 seconds past 1:24, immediately press A to select Black 2 (put the date into DS parameter finder, then the time as 1:24:20)

Wait for copyright startup screen to pass, press A, go to continue, then continue with c-gear turned off.

Use sweet scent, catch a poke, input its stats into the parameter finder, which calculates the iv range, the search. Note the results, hard reset, repeat from the time set step.

Note: I have a PC, so I'm using RNG Reporter. If there's a way to use the PPRNG on a pc laptop, and if using it is easier, please let me know.

Can you tell what I'm doing wrong? :(

.com

Grumpy old man
Ahh then I'm definitely doing something wrong, because most of my numbers are different each time, and I usually get more than one result with each search x_x

Here's what I'm doing:

(Saved Standing in grass to the right of Nimbasa City with a sweet scent poke in my party)

Set the time 1:23, restart DS

Watch clock until it's 19 seconds past 1:24, immediately press A to select Black 2 (put the date into DS parameter finder, then the time as 1:24:20)

Wait for copyright startup screen to pass, press A, go to continue, then continue with c-gear turned off.

Use sweet scent, catch a poke, input its stats into the parameter finder, which calculates the iv range, the search. Note the results, hard reset, repeat from the time set step.

Note: I have a PC, so I'm using RNG Reporter. If there's a way to use the PPRNG on a pc laptop, and if using it is easier, please let me know.

Can you tell what I'm doing wrong? :(
What Pokémon are you catching. If you're getting a multitude of results it sounds like perhaps it's too low a level for getting anything reliable.

If you're seeing any of the results appearing across all of the trials, then it's quite possible those are the ones you're looking for, but obviously that requires tracking multiple possibilities at each reset, so meh.

Otherwise the process sounds fine (although why you're waiting a whole 1:20 before pressing {A} is a little odd, the faster you do it, the less time each turn takes... :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 20)