1. GET SMOGON SHIRTS HERE! First time ever. Limited time only & next time the design will be different, so get it while you can!
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

A glimpse at Crushking: A Wall "Crushing" Nidoking

Discussion in 'Stark Mountain' started by Yagami Light, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Yagami Light

Yagami Light

Factoring in Lefties and SR, Weezing and Blissey are still 2HKOed always with Milotic and Dusknoir being 2HKOed a lot of the time. I'll post up Crushking versus Restalker Cressy as soon as Metalkid loads for me/I remember.

And yes X-act, you are correct in saying that it doesn't get a giant range of switch ins like Metagross does. I still prefer it to sweepers Electivire (Who comes in on Tbolt, Flying and Steel) and Heracross (Who has no immunities, but comes in on Bug, Fighting, EQ, Grass).
  2. X-Act

X-Act np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

As you say though, it does have its good points. Immunity to Thunder Wave, Toxic Spikes (it can clear them too), AND Sandstorm for example. :)
  3. footballfanatic

footballfanatic

Plus it has the invaluable fighting resist.
  4. Pwnage

Pwnage

Light and some dudes tested it against me (suprise) and it rocks, beat like 3 of my pokes.

I'm known as CookieMonst3r on Shoddy though.
  5. CLegacyM

CLegacyM

Looks like a solid set mate, good job my Canadian friend. ;)
  6. gorm

gorm
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

one thing i love about this is that it completely ruins the celetran that everyone seems to be running these days
  7. SkyPirateCoud

SkyPirateCoud

Having seen this thing DESTROY a certain user's team (including an Infernape, which seemed to me like something that could outspeed and stop it), I have determined that it is bulky and strong enough to scare the living hell out of me. Bulky water weak is obvious, but easy to deal with. Great set.
  8. Master of the Six Kings

Master of the Six Kings

Tryed the set with T-bolt over Fire Blast and it worked pretty well. But King needs speed or Garchomp eats him alive. He works pretty good with Jask support, but swampert is still a headache. Celebi works well as Swamp counter, though king still can't switch into much other then status and fighting moves. Great set though, I love using it :P
  9. Dane

Dane

So how long until Cresselia starts running Psychic to counter Nidoking (wasn't it already an option for battling Heracross?)?
  10. ShogunOfHarlem

ShogunOfHarlem

I'm gonna try this guy over electrivire since he resists ground... hmm...
  11. the_artic_one

the_artic_one

He doesn't resist ground...
  12. Brawley

Brawley
    is a Past WCoP Winner

Hey. Hey! Shut up it was a test team
    Also this thing rapes stall teams. @_@
  13. ShogunOfHarlem

ShogunOfHarlem

I meant to say electric, thinking of his ground typing sorry.

Yeah this guy is pretty much replacing Electrivire on ALL of my teams. He does exactly what I wanted vire to do but significantly better
  14. General Sturm

General Sturm

I'm sure sandstorm would help him get the 2HKO where leftovers recovery might be a factor.
  15. COalex

COalex

This looks like a pretty good set, but I don't think it's the stall breaker that everybody is making it out to be. I run a fairly defensive team and this really doesn't have much on a defensive Swampert or Bulkydos. Because of Life Orb it really doesn't have the stamina to keep on whaling on the defensive pokemon which it really needs to do to have a chance against a good stall team.
  16. Dragontamer

Dragontamer

What this Nidoking needs is a bit of Hail Action.

Hail the Suicidal Nidoking
    Same EVs + Life Orb / Expert Belt
    ---------
    Fire Blast
    Blizzard (instead of Ice Beam)
    Earthquake
    Megahorn

There. Much better. You neutralize those nasty leftovers, but lose 16% health per turn, so Expert Belt is always avaliable. Fire Blast's nasty accuracy is replaced with 100% accurate Blizzard vs Weezing, making a guarenteed 2-hit KO (although you might have to wait for the hailstorm to finish him off). Talking about hailstorms finishing off those pokemon, Even Dusknoir dies off to the hail most of the time (46.60 * 2 + 6.25 hail damage == 99% health down. Most of the time, Dusknoir dies to the hail at the end of the turn) It turns those near kills into absolute kills. Well.... Dusknoir then painsplits and survives :-( But if it doesn't for some reason, hurrah :-)

Technically speaking, Focus Punch and Stone Edge hit as many types super-effective but Fire Blast is probably better to hit that Bronzong and Skarm.

But as stated... Bulky Waters like Suicune are a problem. How about this set's complement.

Hail the Hail Starting Abomasnow
    -------
    Blizzard
    Wood Hammer / Energy Ball / Seed Bomb / Leech Seed (with Sub)
    Filler
    Filler

Blizzard is a must-have on Abomasnow. Wood Hammer deals with those bulky waters very easily, or Sub/Seed does really-really well on them. You can switch in on Bulky-Water Ice Beams, Swampert Earthquakes and the like, while Nidoking can switch in on fighting and rock attacks.

I ran some preliminary tests with Nidoking before, I can't say its excellent (Garchomp eventually took its spot), but it does work pretty well and has the right set of resistances to help out Abomasnow in many cases, and vise versa.
  17. CrossDragonZX

CrossDragonZX

Somehow I think Substitute could fit on this. Either Sub/Fire Blast or Sub/Ice Beam, one of those. Then again, the excess damage from setting up a Sub and then attacking with Life Orb can be suicidal. Still it allows you to scout and what not.
  18. Dragontamer

Dragontamer

What is there to scout? Nidoking is immune to T-Wave and Toxic, leaving Burn and Sleep. Sleep is claused making Burn the only status that Nidoking really has to fear (if Nidoking falls asleep, you can keep sleep clause activated for the rest of the game). Not to mention, fast sleepers will sleep you before you sub anyway.

I don't see sub helping Nidoking at all.
  19. Yagami Light

Yagami Light

Added in a bit about Blizzard.
  20. Colonel M

Colonel M I don't suck it's my team that sucks!
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Very nice Light. Once again, you've inspired the crowd to try something new. One thing I liked about Nidoking was the immunity to Toxic Spikes and the fact that he can absorb them. Looks something interesting to pair with Celebi or Tangrowth. Maybe Vaporeon, since Vappy can come in easily on aimed Surfs and Ice Beams.
  21. Yagami Light

Yagami Light

I quite agree, Vaporeon makes an excellent side support pokemon with Wish to keep Crushking alive after switch in and life orb damage and the ability to HP Electric Gyarados.
  22. Aeroblacktyl

Aeroblacktyl The pizza doesn't scream in the oven! LOL!
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winner

Why are we calling this a Crushking, isn't this the standard set from ADV...?
  23. Forsety

Forsety

I thought the standard set used Lovely Kiss.
  24. Aeroblacktyl

Aeroblacktyl The pizza doesn't scream in the oven! LOL!
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winner

Yeah...in GSC...
  25. Yagami Light

Yagami Light

Upon looking at the Mixed Set from R/S/E, this does bear a great deal of resemblance. The main difference that I see is that the Life Orb, EV spread and such are different to suit the new walls of OU, as well as the inclusion of SR. I'll be honest though, when I thought of this I didn't think to check the previous gen sets.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)