1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Acupressure

Discussion in 'BW OU' started by AJC, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJC

AJC

Major change to this move in this gen: It now works behind a sub.

Where in 4th gen it would always fail behind a sub.

this has major implication because it becomes a bit more reliable because you can now use it behind cover without having to take a hit.

Pokemon that learn this move by level.
    Show Hide

Dodrio
    Medicham <-- new learner
    Drapion
    Marakacchi

Pokemon that get this move from Breeding
    Show Hide

Tentacruel
    Shuckle
    Toxicroak <-- new eggmove

with Sub no longer blocking you from using it Dodrio now finally has a standout trick to other normal/flying because Pokemon XD gave it baton pass and you can Relearn Acupressure in 4th or 5th gen by move relearner allowing it to be the only pokemon in the game be able to baton pass the boosts from this move.
  2. idkidks

idkidks

can't smergle learn it??
  3. Obesity

Obesity

Smeargle, and of course, but Dodrio can take hits better, and actually do stuff with it with base 110 Atk/100 Spd. I can't imagine a STAB Brave Bird would feel too good off 700 attack.
  4. Plusle

Plusle

Sub+acupressure+battle armour drapion looks good for battle subway.
  5. Blatreutka

Blatreutka

What happens if it boosts evasion if the clause is in effect? Does it just not happen or does it not have any effect? If it doesn't have any effect it would be a major downside to the move.
  6. Rykard

Rykard

acupressure evasion boosts are legal because it picks a random stat to raise. you have no control over it
  7. shuckles my hero

shuckles my hero

Shuckle with acupressure and substitute could be very annoying, maybe run earthquake and toxic as well.
  8. The Cicada

The Cicada

Dodrio hasn't really ever been related to other normal/flying types. I mean, out of all of them Dodrio has the highest attack stat. Anyways i can Shuckle being the most anoying thing ever now, but i do not think he will use Accupressure for the atk boost, i think he will use it for the Evasion and defensive boosts. Imagine a Shuckle with +6 spD, def, and Evasion behind a sub. The evasion clause will probably prevent Accupressure from boosting your evasion now.
  9. Nails

Nails EAST 2014
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

accupressure is going to be a gimmick and not consistent, just like in 4th gen. nuff said.
  10. GtM

GtM

If Acupressure becomes more standard, I can imagine that pokemon are going to try and run Magical Leaf and Shock Wave for coverage, instead of Hidden Powers. That is, if they get access to these moves.
  11. btb

btb

I don't think you should worry about that. It's still going to be a gimmick move used in very rare occasions. Plus Whirlwind/Roar would be better counters to it than crappy moves like Magical Leaf
  12. Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

This is going to make Jumpman very happy. I always considered the silly Gen IV inability to be used behind a subsitute as bad programming by nintendo. I don't think Accupressure has much competitive merit though, prehaps in a baton passing team..
  13. DDRMaster

DDRMaster

This. Shuckle can still be Roared out and it will lose all its boosts. Sub doesn't really help it either (unless it blocks Taunt, I can't remember). Substitute/Accupressure/Baton Pass/filler Dodrio sounds somewhat interesting and Drapion will still be good for the Battle Subway since your opponents don't know how to switch. Other than that, it will be the same gimmick it always was.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)