OU ADV OU Viability Ranking

UD

BeerLover
The Definitive ADV Viability Rankings, by UD

Hi all!

I feel like this is as good a time as any to update the ADV VR. We are currently at the onset of the Grand Dead Period for the tier, post-Callous Invitational and pre-SPL. I would like to record a snapshot of my thoughts on the tier's standing so that we may check back in again during next SPL.

The format will be roughly the same as those who have preceded me, however I am going to lump certain Mons together when I don't feel I can differentiate within their respective sub-tiers. You'll see what I mean when it comes up.

I think my opinions will mostly align with the other players. I don't anticipate as many outlandish opinions as I had when McMeghan compiled the new rankings last time around.

Without further ado, here is the list:

S Tier
The tier revolves around Tyranitar.

This Mon is the best in the tier, no questions asked. Its presence and influence is so strong that there is a massive subset of teams designed just for the mere REMOVAL of this guy. You could name 10 strengths for every single weakness of this mighty behemoth. Blessed with arguably the best movepool in the tier, the best stats in the tier, AND the best Ability in the tier, Tyranitar is so good that if you aren't using it, you need an excellent reason why.

Tar has handled everything the tier has thrown at it with aplomb. No matter how many anti-Sandstorm strategies develop, Tyranitar will still be there right at the top, capable of contributing in every game. That is a true testament to this Mon's prowess.

S- Tier
Teams that can not handle this threat in a multitude of ways are not OU viable.

Gengar has undoubtedly fallen from its cream of the crop, God-tier, most-broken-thing-in-ADV status in recent times. There have been countless tier shifts geared towards making this thing worse, and they have by and large succeeded. Who else remembers back when Gengar 1v1'd Offensive Starmie with ease (T-bolt OHKOs with a Spike down, after all)? Who else remembers when Claydol's usage was at an all-time low? When Celebi didn't use a Calm nature? When Salamence didn't stand a chance in Hell at surviving your Ice Punch, but you lived its +1 HP Flying comfortably? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

So why do I still have Gengar placed so highly in the rankings? Because it can still succeed at everything it is meant to do by virtue of its incredible stat distribution, movepool, and typing. Also there is still technically no counter to Hypnosis Gengar with Spikes down. Aero is the only thing faster that won't switch in to a Hypno Gar (I think my most hated sequence in all of ADV is switching Jolteon into Gengar as its Hypnosis hits and they hard switch Dugtrio on the following turn), meaning that it basically needs to come in on a revenge kill attempt. Also, for the Claydol spam these days? Try Destiny Bond Gar. You will not be disappointed. Virtually guaranteed a kill, if not more, EVERY game.

A+ Tier
Game changing Mons that would be expected to see on a vast majority of teams.

(Not ranked in order. I view all of these Mons as equally powerful / viable.)

Probably the single best "glue Mon" in the tier. You can slap it onto any and every team, tweak its EV spread and moveset minimally, and be good to go. I have always loved how the old standard of Ice Beam / Hydro Pump / Earthquake / Protect can function as two entirely different sets if you just give it a little Speed and a +SpA nature. Bump it up to 275 SpA and this thing's Torrent Hydro will just shred everything in the tier that doesn't resist it or is named Blissey. Speaking of the fattest blob that ever lived - watch out for Focus Punch from this thing. Pert has always been criticized for its lack of offensive firepower, a criticism I never understood. Hell, even the Dex standard 40 SpA stat can really chunk a decent portion of the tier.

Anyway, this dude just flat out patches defensive holes in your team. I will not listen to any argument that Pert isn't at worst a top-10 Mon in the tier.

The greatest "Offense Enabler," as Asta puts it, Metagross finds itself firmly entrenched as an A+ tier dude. Meta combines incredible offensive potential with an amazing defensive type and ridiculous physical bulk (pro-tip: add a splash of SpDef on your max HP Leftovers Metagross, you won't regret it). His movepool is also nothing to scoff at. Try some of his more overlooked moves; he can pull off almost any moveset imaginable provided you have an open mind.

I feel like Metagross would really border on S tier if it weren't for the existence of Zapdos. Yes, MagTrio are a huge thorn in Meta's side, but Zapdos is the real problem since it's just always walling you and always 2HKO'ing you. Really frustrating matchup. Otherwise, Metagross is insanely good.

P.S. try Protect on the Leftovers set the same way you would Swampert. It's great!

Ugh. I know I catch a lot of flack for this, but I really think Blissey is just totally overpowered. She just flat out invalidates so many teams it isn't even funny. I know it can be sort of a momentum sink if you're always on the backfoot and Softboiling every other turn, and that is a significant drawback. But the amount of shit it can just 1v1 with ease is insane.

Nothing is more frustrating to me than to bring, say a CM Spam + Dugtrio team against Blissey, pull off a successful Spike sac into my bulky Adamant Dugtrio against their Blissey, fire off a 55% EQ and be rewarded with a Counter for my troubles. Bam, game over, because you are never killing this thing. That's Blissey in a nutshell for you.

A Tier
Extremely influential Mons in the tier, all of whom can exert both offensive and defensive pressure, usually at the same time.

(Not ranked in order. I view all of these Mons as equally powerful / viable.)

Triangles made a fantastic point up above regarding Zapdos. If you just build a top-6 Viability Rankings team, you will end up with an extremely strong Spikes team, good against the entire metagame as a whole. Except for... the glaring Zapdos weakness.

Zapdos is the king of good matchups. If it's a SpDef set with Rest, some SkarmBliss teams are just utterly incapable of killing it. If it's a Modest Zapper with HP Grass, it's damn near impossible to switch into with your typical Skarm + Gar + Tar + Pert outfit that lacks a Blissey. The mixed set is incredibly potent too. With Drill Peck + HP Grass, you have almost flawless coverage. The only drawback is you can't run max Speed on this set, which is something Zap really likes to do (though is less important in the absence of HP Ice). There's really nothing like blasting away with 383 SpA Thunderbolts with three layers of Spikes down. Oh and did I mention soft checking Metagross and Gyarados and revenge killing annoying shit like Modest Moltres? Zapdos is the real deal.

The only reason I hesitate to put it in A+ tier is that even very Zapdos weak teams often have a way of finagling themselves out of the rough matchup. Stuff like Tyranitar just always soft checks you provided it has Rock Slide and the bulk to take two Thunderbolts. Metagross also happily Explodes far too often for my liking. But Zap is absolutely a top tier threat in the metagame, and I don't ever see that changing.

Sometimes there's just nothing like a good old fashioned Bold Celebi with Calm Mind. The most unkillable mixed wall in the tier with two of the best moves in the tier on the same moveset? What's not to love? Unfortunately mono-Psychic is pretty terrible coverage (if you go mono-Grass then your chance of sweeping is even worse because of the shit that still hilariously walls you when you're at +6), and dropping Calm Mind means you don't actually present a threat of late game sweeping. There's also the whole Skarmory issue, not that that can't be overcome (watch Asta for inspiration here, seriously).

It's also kind of tough picking between the PhysDef and SpDef route. PhysDef is surprisingly pretty bad against Gengar and Starmie again, whereas SpDef means you start taking a lot from stuff like Meteor Mash and Snorlax Body Slam, etc. The Dugtrio weakness is there but it isn't the worst thing since most Celebi squads usually have something pretty nasty for an HP Bug locked Dug. Don't sleep on this underrated beast.

Perhaps the most centralizing Mon in the tier, Skarmory is so outrageously good at what he does that you need a damn good reason to even consider using a different Spiker. ProTox with 252 HP / 252+ SpDef is still the best set, but like it always does, the metagame caught up with it. The advent of Refresh Claydol has made Skarmory's life considerably tougher. It has become so popular, in fact, that Drill Peck (or Taunt + Toxic) is starting to become standard on Skarmory.

So while Skarm is in a bit of a transitional phase, making a tough call to run the old fully SpDef set and run the risk of being blanked by Refresh Claydol, or use Drill Peck and be worse in most of the non-Claydol matchups, it still puts them up like nothing else.

You can hilariously snipe the person trying to snipe you, by bringing HP Ground / Drill Peck OR Taunt + Toxic Skarmory against MagDol, or SkarmMag, and just utterly roll over the opponent. You of course end up with a much worse Skarmory when you don't get that matchup, but it's give and take. Attack boosted Drill Peck also has the benefit of hitting Gengar really hard, which is a nice bonus treat.

I'm not as high on Skarmory as everyone else is, because of the counterplay available to it. I feel like Spiking up has never been harder, and exerting offensive pressure via Toxic + Protect has never been less effective. But still, Skarmory is an essential part of many great ADV teams today.

When you think about it, Jirachi fits a pretty unique profile as a special attacker. It's one of the only ones with either a Normal or Flying resistance, which is hugely important in the Aero matchup, and it's one of the only (the only?) Sandstorm immune one. Jirachi can go as fast as 328 with Ice Punch and be a sweet Salamence / Flygon revenge killer, it can go Modest with Dugtrio bulk and HP Grass + Fire Punch, or it can go very fat with Wish + CM + Psychic + Fire Punch or Thunderbolt. And that's just the CM options.

Unfortunately, while it CAN run any of the previous sets, it can only do so one at a time. Typically when you see one damage calc. or one move from the Jirachi, you can infer the rest of its set and identify the appropriate counter. That's not to say it isn't still amazing.

Its biggest drawbacks will always be the annoying Tar / Meta / Aero / Snorlax (to an extent) syndrome. That is, something fat or fast that can tank you and blow you away with Earthquake. It's also pretty lame how Claydol walls you lol. Oh well.

I'm tempted to place this beast a little higher just as a slap in the face of all the Mence haters around. DD has been and always will be this guy's best set. Do not underestimate it!!! Guess what a byproduct of the Refresh era is? Mons are dropping Ice coverage. Salamence and Flygon, enter stage right. Anyone else played that Hariyama / Claydol / Skarmory / Blissey / Dug / SpDef Zapdos team before? It folds to a +1 DD Mence if you packed your trusty Magneton.

A lot of people are ditching crucial Normal / Flying resists, or Mons like Gengar on their stall teams. DD Mence should be there to pick up the pieces.

Don't forget about its insanely strong CB set (try Wish passing to it, a la BKC), or its MixMence set (plenty of variants around).

A- Tier
Expect to see these Mons on a huge majority of teams. They are all pivotal to the OU metagame in one way or another.

(I will attempt to rank this sub-tier in order.)

I think Starmie is incredibly potent. When you factor in its coverage, this thing hits like a truck. It looks one dimensional at a glance, but the fat Spin set is actually pretty damn good, and you can't really rely on your SpDef Gengar against the Offensive version since they might carry Psychic and if you're running the Giga Drain + Fire Punch coverage then you come well short of OHKO'ing. I also love how a full HP Starmie conveniently tanks +1 Mence and Gyara, and Aero.

This sounds obvious, but I think what holds Starmie back the most is that Hydro Pump is only 80% accurate. It could be so much better if you knew you'd always hit. You can always try HP Grass if you wanna win the 1v1 against Pert, just make sure you have another way to chip Gengar because your Hydro Pump is never killing it. The other huge knock against this guy is its secondary Psychic typing is actually pretty horrific, and it still can't switch in on hardly anything in the game.

To me, Flygon is the most underrated Mon in the game right now. The whole DD Ice Beam Tyranitar thing was completely overblown. Yes, ProTox Impish Flygon has gotten considerably worse. Perhaps to the point that it isn't even worth using anymore. But that set required a hell of a lot of support as it was, and it's not like using your Swampert with Spikes down against DD Tar is that much worse than the Spike-immune Flygon. Also Claydol conveniently became pretty good against DD Tar once again. So there is still plenty of counterplay to DD Tar within the metagame, Flygon included. Good time to mention that it is foolish to rely on Impish Gon 100% for opposing Tar just in the event that you come across an Ice Beam one. But that is hardly reason to stop using it altogether.

Let me fill you in on a trade secret. Substitute + three attacks (HP Bug is mandatory. I prefer Rock Slide as the 4th) with an Adamant nature is one hell of a set. With 327 Att and 299 Speed you are at such a sweet spot in the tier. You do a huge chunk to Pert and Milo, both of whom likely dropped their Ice Beams in favor of Refresh. You absolutely blow away Refresh Claydol. You serve as a great Jirachi and Celebi answer, particularly the latter as most people for some reason do not even scout for HP Bug against a Leftovers Flygon. This set is a must try for any ADV player.

Choice Band is still fantastic, it just requires more team support than the Sub set, as predicting what move to click against, say a Gengar, Swampert, and Celebi is incredibly tough to do. But if you can trap the Gengar and Skarmory, then not much stands in the way of just mashing CB Earthquake.

The catalyst to almost every fast-paced Skarm + Gar team, Jolteon can be a gamebreaking presence. Sure it finds itself in some extremely tough matchups, for instance it's sadly horrible against SpDef Zapdos, or anything that clicks Thunder Wave. But there's really nothing like a well-played Jolteon Spikes team. I think this is another underrated threat. It cleans weakened teams extremely well, affords your offensive squad one switch into Gengar, which is usually all you need, and of course makes your opponent think twice about clicking their strongest move in most situations.

Probably the worst thing about Jolteon is that its presence on the battlefield usually telegraphs the rest of the team. It's also a tad weaker than you want it to be, particularly when facing a <50% Tar or Metagross. But at the end of the day, there's almost nothing that counters a perfectly played Roar Jolteon with three Spikes down (damn you Claydol).

The metagame has not been kind to Snorlax for as long as I've been back in the game. Utility Lax is disgustingly weak to Skarm + Gar + Tyranitar, and CurseLax requires a whole cast of supporting Mons in order for it to shine, and it still only takes one crit from the opposing Zapdos to ruin your sweep.

That being said, there's almost nothing like a Snorlax outside of Sandstorm. The Utility set in particular is just so fantastic against something like a CM spam or special offense. You can also cater your set to removing particular threats (Counter for Metagross, Focus Punch for Tyranitar, Curse + Selfdestruct for both + Skarmory). The problem of course is that you need the right set in the right game, which requires a bit of good fortune in the matchup department.

Snorlax is really hard to rank for me given the expected range in outcomes for a given match. Some games you only get to switch into Blissey once, Body Slam into Gengar (because remember you must predict correctly on the FIRST turn when Sandstorm is out), and then pray for the 25% WoW miss chance, or else you're just done. I think middle of A- tier sounds about right.

The other poster child of the Great-Outside-of-Sandstorm-Brigade, Suicune is another Mon with a huge range of expected outcomes. I just don't see this dude having a consistently successful run in ADV. If you are using the stronger Rest CM Roar set, then you've gotta keep it healthy all game while also removing the opposing Snorlax or Meta, because you are never winning with a last Mon Cune while those two are around. If you're using the offensive set with Substitute, then you get boned by Sandstorm and opposing Suicune. If you're using the offensive set with Roar, then you get boned by Milotic, faster Celebi to an extent, faster Zapdos to an extent, faster Suicune with Roar, and Blissey.

I don't want to shit on Cune too much, though. It is obviously an amazing Mon capable of turning around games better than anything in the tier. Cune can do some utterly incredible things that nothing else in ADV can even come close to. For instance, Bold Cune just CMs alongside a CurseLax or Utility Lax, and forces the trade eventually (unless there is ridiculous paralysis hax). Stuff like that is just incredible. But too often it doesn't do shit, Rests once, and then is dead weight the rest of the game cuz you're not waking up ever unless you double switch perfectly three times in a row.

Claydol is the extremely rare Pokemon that is fantastic against standard TSS, and pretty bad against everything else. So where do you rank a Mon that has almost ZERO utility whatsoever outside of the Skarm + Gar matchup? Well, owing to the fact that completely shutting down Spikes is such an absurdly good weapon against those teams, I think bottom of A- tier sounds about right.

Unfortunately it's just so bad against most of the rest of the tier - does a few things nicely still, however. It pivots Electric Mons great, though it doesn't hurt Zapdos in return without Explosion. It's a great Jolteon and Jirachi counter. Does well against all non HP Bug non Crunch Tyranitar. Does """okay""" against Metagross if you outspeed it and invest heavily in Att. It's pretty underwhelming overall outside of the TSS matchup. But still, if you don't prepare for Claydol when using Skarm + Gar, then you're just shooting yourself in the foot.

Dugtrio just barely earns a spot in A- tier for me. While it can be almost unfairly good (broken?) in some games, it's also such an absurd liability in other matchups that it is honestly ridiculous. I don't care that every game should be analyzed in the same context as the rest of them. When you lock yourself into EQ and then DD Mence clicks DD once and just blows you away, that makes my stomach turn lol.

Some games you don't even get to trap anything, you sure as hell don't switch into anything - I guess you can pivot Zapdos lol - you just do... nothing. Well my philosophy is that I want value out of everything I bring every game. It's unrealistic to think that you'll get a good matchup every game you play. But I don't like Mons that are guaranteed from T1 to not have an impact whatsoever in the game. Dugtrio can have that effect.

As a real life example, consider Superman. I know it's not the most popular team right now, but realistically what is Dugtrio doing against a lineup of Skarmory / Zapdos / Gengar / Flygon / Swampert / Tyranitar? The Tar is usually Pursuit so if it came in to trap a Gengar then it probably did its job already. Plus now you have to switch into one of the Flying dudes, all of whom are super dangerous with a Spike down.

Tough to rank such a singular Mon like this for me. It can be brutally good (I would like to mention that "Dugtrio weak" teams shouldn't really exist by nature since they would have addressed said weakness), or it can do absolutely nothing.

B+ Tier
Very potent Mons that can be expected to contribute in some way every game.

Placing Aero outside of A tier entirely seems sinful. However, I'm quite down on Aero lately. The move Protect is still everywhere, Steels are everywhere, not to mention if you run into an AstaRachi then you are just in for the worst time ever. It has become quite difficult to put yourself in a position where you can just click Rock Slide and hope for the best with a reasonable chance of pulling it off.

However I will never count this thing out because if you DON'T have a Wish Jirachi then anything could happen. 30% of the time, it flinches every time.

Moltres seems like a hardcore mid to low B rank Mon to me at first shake. But I can't ignore its offensive potential. The Fire STAB + WoW combo is gamechanging. It's the single reason I have to think long and hard any time I make a team with three Fire weak Mons, which is actually super easy to do considering Celebi lends itself to Skarm + Metagross or Skarm + Magneton cores so well. Basically when you do a Skarmory + Grass core, you know the Rock resist is gonna end up being Metagross (increasing the likelihood of a Magneton) or a Swampert. So now you've got either three or four Mons that might be OHKO'd just by this guy. Scary stuff!

However, Moltres obviously has huge problems with Milotic, Suicune, Blissey, and Pursuit Tar sorta. It also doesn't switch in on much, and is revenge killed by quite a few Mons. However it does the extremely cool thing of switching in mostly risk free against Metagross, and always threatening an OHKO. Very very cool indeed.

Another Mon that everyone loves to hate, I love to love Gyarados. I share Triangles' sentiments that Gyara is a defensive Mon first. It has some awesome switch ins in the tier, can punish its own switch ins brutally with Thunder Wave, and occasionally finds the game (say against Cune / Dug / Claydol type stall) where it can DD up safely and just shred.

He fits a great defensive profile on teams that need something that can switch in on opposing Waters and also be okay against physical dudes. Many offensive builds appreciate that role compression when they otherwise can't really switch into Swampert, for example.

I'm a big Venusaur fanboy, everyone knows that. I admit that it's really tough to put this guy in a position to be very successful. The original bulky and slow Sludge Bomb / Grass move / Leech Seed / Sleep Powder set came up pretty underwhelming. It was too slow to take advantage of Sleep Powder, didn't have reliable recovery to take advantage of its bulk, etc. The new age offensive set with HP Fire was really quite nice for boning Steel + Water + Rock cores, however it really missed the bulk when facing off against Electric Mons.

I think I have struck the perfect balance of a new spread where you invest heavily in Speed (its best attribute when combined with Sleep Powder and Leech Seed) and bulk, with a dash of offenses mixed in. This new set has been performing wonders for me, and it's really impressing me overall. Venusaur is quite tanky and deals respectable damage when you take into account all the switches it forces. I really like building around this Mon and think it's a legit option for mid-range balances to more offensive squads that want an Electric answer combined with good anti-lead Mon.

I know it's en vogue to say Forry sucks, but I honestly don't think it's that bad. It's a legit option against opposing Skarmory teams, particularly SkarmMag if they lack a Pursuit Tar. Sometimes it nearly autowins games if there's no Gengar and the Skarmory can't touch it. Plus Bug STAB is actually really nifty. It makes Forry one of the single best answers to Celebi in a 1v1 scenario.

You of course need to build your entire team around supporting this guy, but you can say that about other OU Mons and that doesn't prevent them from being effective. I am kinda high on Forretress overall.

B Tier
Important Mons in the OU metagame. Must be accounted for in the teambuilder. They can fulfill a niche better than anything else, but have drawbacks in their games.

I'm honestly not a huge fan of Heracross. It has an absurdly high ceiling with Salac sets, though those are incredibly unreliable with Sandstorm in play. You also live and die by Megahorn accuracy, which is a huge obstacle to overcome. I used to think Leftovers sets were busted and these amazing stallbreakers. However, after trying them out myself quite a bit, I noticed that these sets are dead freaking weight against a Salamence that's faster than you (they all should be imo). Also Skarmory carry Drill Peck much more frequently than they used to, meaning your +2 Fighting move might be all for naught.

My favorite thing about the Leftovers set is that it's the only Mon that really comes to mind that can just switch in on a Swampert, Milotic, or Cune, and handle the 1v1 on its own. It's the only physical attacker that really does that, not including Snorlax, who is outsped. I love that aspect of it. Otherwise, this Mon is very flawed in my opinion.

I was admittedly far too high on Weezing last time around. I still view it as a very solid second-tier threat, one which will often put you on your heels as soon as it comes in on your Skarmory. However, despite its prowess at picking apart SkarmBliss teams, Weezing is definitely not without flaws.

The biggest issue for Weezing is that there are some games when you just have no good opportunity to even bring him in. Some teams on paper threaten Weezing from every angle. Consider a typical mixed offense that goes MixMence / MixMeta / Tar / Snorlax / Swampert / Zapdos. At minimum three of the six have a 100% guaranteed 2HKO on you (and Metagross probably OHKOs), Snorlax threatens Paralysis on your switch in, the Tar set might be Lum and usually your best move against it is WoW or maybe HP Grass, and Swampert probably has loads of SpA on that type of team. That happens fairly often with Weezing. Your best case scenario here is pivoting into the Zapdos or Salamence HP Grass and then Exploding. While that's not necessarily a bad outcome, it's not really a good one either.

And that's the crux of the issue with good ol' Weezing. While it's better (HOT TAKE ALERT) than Gengar at spreading WoW due to its ability to hit Natural Cure Mons significantly harder, it lacks the Speed to be hugely threatening game in and game out.

Really up and down Mon for me. While Cloyster has some awesome attributes, it often just comes up short of contributing much. I do love how good it is against classic SkarmMag teams. STAB Ice Beam is also really nice for smacking Zapdos and Celebi switch ins. It's also refreshing to have a Mon that will always be 100% reliable against physical Salamence and Flygon. But the whole package just doesn't do it for me.

A fun "What If" to play is "what if Cloyster had mono-Water typing?" Ah, what could have been.

Not much to say. Just as simple as this: it's very good at accomplishing its task when facing a Skarmory. And when you're not facing Skarmory, chances are you won't do shit.

I'm finally throwing Milotic a bone. The only Mon that sucks more momentum out of your gameplan is the one ranked directly below this. Milo is so horrifically slow-paced that it almost moves in reverse time. It's also imperative that you pack anti-Skarmory measures (simply having Refresh isn't really enough in case they have Taunt and also they're still gonna lay three Spikes on you), and anti-Tyranitar + Aero measures.

Milo has some awesome attributes though. The Refresh set can literally be impossible to kill for standard SkarmBliss. And if you actually decide to use Hypnosis, then you can prevent the Boomers from accomplishing their goal. Milotic's Surf also hits pretty damn hard, which is useful against things like Jolteon and Zapdos switching in on you.

The other momentum sink of the tier. P2 is notoriously awful at attracting all of the hardest shit in the tier to switch into. But it's really good at switching into Flygon!

What can I say. P2 counter traps Dugtrio extremely well, thereby allowing your grounded armada to do their thing. It is quite a good enabling Mon. However, in some games it causes significantly more harm than good (and Thunder Wave is not a permanent solution since that usually means you dropped Toxic and therefore added another Mon that gets its ass eaten by Blissey). I am really not a fan of this guy whatsoever, but some teams require its presence.

B- Tier
These Mons can operate independently and achieve their roles with moderate success. However, they all have exploitable weaknesses or flaws.

I still think Hariyama's best niche is being the single best answer to any and every Tyranitar out there. You OHKO any and all Tyranitar forever and ever with 0 Att Cross Chop. You tank +1 EQ with relative ease and take absolutely NOTHING from its special moves. It's really the prototypical Tyranitar counter.

Knock Off is always great, and you've usually got two free moveslots to work with. Plenty of options there too, just make sure you are either Wish passing to it or Resting yourself, as you're gonna want to keep this bad boy healthy.

Also gotta mention the offensive sets as being somewhat interesting, though I think I would prefer Machamp in that fat offensive Fighter role.

Houndoom is to Gengar what Hariyama is to Tyranitar. Yeah Houndoom is definitely the best thing available for any Gengar. Of course you can still be ruined by Focus Punch or just trade with Explosion, but that's more testament to Gengar being awesome than Houndoom being flawed. Houndoom also does the very cool thing of stone cold walling Celebi and Jirachi, which is a super neat trick.

Overall though, Houndoom blows. It weirdly has a horrible 4MSS due to wanting both of HP Grass and Ice, as well as WoW. Pretty lackluster Mon when it's not trapping Gengar.

Vaporeon has a solid niche on absurdly hardcore stall teams. It can Wish pass and clear the opponent's boosts with Haze. It also hits really hard with Surf, OHKO'ing Aero almost 70% of the time even uninvested.

It can also play some fun tricks with SubPass and hit hard with Hydro Pump + Ice Beam and a Modest nature. However, that means you'll be taking up to 50% from something as innocent as a Swampert Earthquake, so be prepared for the consequences.

Sorry Triangles, you aren't selling me on this. I can't get past how hard it is for this guy to actually sweep teams. One game in a Sandless environment against a non-Seismic Toss Blissey will not change my mind. An absurd portion of the metagame can tank his hits at neutral and OHKO in return. Calm Mind once and only Swampert drops from that list. Calm Mind twice and now you've caught my attention. But wait, the opponent is allowed to attack while you're CM'ing...

Just not buying Raikou as a legit threat. Every OU team ever counters it organically. If you want to do the whole Dug + weather clearing + ten other things for Tyranitar with Raikou in the back, then sure it'll probably work. But so will Alakazam, Jynx, Mr. Mime, Entei, and Espeon.

I'll give credit to Raikou for being really good at switching into Gengar early game. Definitely earns props for that.

Regice looks great on paper. STAB Ice Beam with Thunderbolt coverage, access to some nice utility moves, great stats all around. But then you use it in game and realize that a lot of the current metagame actually walls BoltBeam + weak ass Fighting moves, and when you're stepping on one Spike + Gengar's Thunderbolt / WoW / Fire Punch, then you aren't really even forcing Gar out more than twice in a game. Pretty underwhelming Mon overall. I guess it's good at luring Blissey and finishing off with Dugtrio. But even still you are probably more likely to get the Jirachi / Tar / Metagross instead, leaving the Blissey alive and well.

C+ Tier
These Mons are still very proficient at specific roles, but they require quite a bit of team support around them, or else the right matchup to succeed.

Pretty scary Mon in the right matchup. When you lead Skarmory against a Jynx lead, and your best switch in is Tyranitar, then you might lose right on the spot. However Jynx goes with Lovely Kiss's accuracy, since every physical move in the tier is a clean OHKO. Pretty boom or bust Mon here.

I actually like Breloom. Its STAB Fighting moves are extremely powerful and its HP Ghost can even OHKO some Gengar. It can even pull off a pretty brutal SubSeed set, as its Focus Punch just annihilates two fairly common Mons who'd try to phaze it (Skarmory and Swampert). Watch out for dual status too.

Maybe not as good as it once was when Taunt WoW Gengar was all the rage, but it's still a nice answer to Electric Mons and of course Gengar. Has a strong Boom and reasonable coverage moves as well. Try Quick Claw + HP Ice for extra fun.

Pretty decent as a last Mon on a Jolteon Spikes team. It really needs a CM in order to sweep though, and status obviously ruins it. Mediocre overall.

Giving Kingdra the nod in C+ since it's pretty alright defensively, and has a lot of offensive firepower. However, its SpA isn't as high as you think (only base 95), it's pretty slow outside of Rain, and it's really Aero vulnerable.

I actually love Rhydon. Its EQ is up there for the strongest move in the tier, it has access to Swords Dance, and at +2 it just nukes everything in its path. However, you need to Paralyze darn near everything in order for it to outspeed anything, and a whole fleet of Mons just effortlessly OHKO him. Defensively though he's quite good. He lives Dugtrio from full even with 0/0 bulk 87.5% of the time, and takes Aero's moves quite well, providing the ever useful Normal + Flying resistance.

I can't really judge him fairly since I've yet to use him yet, but Marowak is obviously capable of plowing through shit. However, between the two Mons who want everything in sight paralyzed, I'll take Rhydon for the better defensive type and STAB Rock Slide.

Better than people give it credit for. Decently fast plus all the moves at its disposal. STAB Explosion hits hard.

Regirock makes an outstanding bulky Water lure, and it even has enough special bulk to live things like Starmie Hydro Pump most of the time with max HP investment. But it's really slow and has to Explode on most things to kill them. It's great against Aero though.

I'm ranking Ludicolo below Kingdra because it's actually pretty easy to OHKO this guy, unlike Kingdra. On the other hand, Ludicolo can utilize pretty effective Leech Seed sets, so it gets points for versatility. Pretty average Mon overall.

Unbelievably strong. The best thing about Medicham is that when it hits its target, it can actually OHKO them. The best example of this is hitting Gengar on the switch in with Shadow Ball and watching them just drop. However, it's slow and has atrocious bulk.

Just a worse Salamence in every single way. Has an exciting movepool but its Speed hinders it a lot. Also it can't OHKO Aero which is bad.

C Tier
These Mons are extremely flawed individually, but with the right amount of team support, may perform a certain role better than their overall better counterparts.

Physically it's way sturdier than Swampert and by extension Flygon. However it absolutely requires Magneton plus Pursuit Tar supporting it. Hits really hard with STAB EQ though which is nice. You can try HP Rock for nice damage on Flyers too, but you will have to sacrifice one of Toxic or Protect.

Actually pretty good. Its niche is access to Encore plus very fast Sleep Powder. Pretty disgusting with Spikes down and against a CurseLax lol.

Is it a Moltres without WoW? Or is it a Moltres with Focus Punch? I dunno really. It seems okay but in reality I don't think it's too good.

It's okay I guess. Pretty strong with Explosion. Cool shiny sprite too.

I don't really see the appeal.

Fast as hell, decently strong, access to Crunch for Gengar (lol). It can do Endeavor too I guess. It's not terrible.

Pretty strong, particularly when its Cross Chop crits. But it's slow as dirt and has worse bulk than Hariyama, I think lol.

Identical to Donphan except you trade being better at everything for being better against Electric Mons and access to Explosion, which you will never actually click.

Armaldo is kind of like a specially based Hariyama, I guess. What I mean by that is it's a good special wall with access to Knock Off. Of course it has two awful weaknesses in Water and Rock, but with HP Bug / Rest / Rock STAB / Knock Off, you could probably do a decent job walling Electrics, Gengar, and Celebi.

Not as big a meme as you think it is. It completely and utterly destroys the Spinners, which is a great niche right now. However, you're gonna end up trapped by Dugtrio and you also exert negative offensive pressure lol.

It's actually really strong and can kinda sweep some teams with Agility + Swords Dance.

C- Tier
Practically meme tier. I'm not really sure why you'd want to use these apart from novelty value. They are okay individually but there's almost always something that is universally better.

(Not ranked in order. I view all of these Mons as equally shitty / obscure.)

Would be pretty scary if it was faster but instead it's the worst defensive Mon in the tier and just not that good.

There was a time when people used CB Crobat because of its base 130 Speed. But then we learned that it actually sucks.

Dodrio actually has the smallest niche if you squint. It's super fast and its CB Drill Peck annihilates Gengar. Plus it can Baton Pass out of its switch ins. This should probably be a C tier Mon I guess.

It's not good but you can annoy the shit out of some people with it if you want I guess.

Miltank's description applies here too.

Idk it's fast and can do STAB Facade shenanigans.

Sadly it's pretty bad. Maybe it can do better than C-. Intimidate is nice.

Nah.

Strong as fuck but slow as fuck.

I remember it being a lot better than it is now.

Ninjask Tier
This tier includes Ninjask.

(Not ranked in order. This Ninjask is in fact a Ninjask.)

Friends don't let friends use Ninjask.

I kinda ran out of steam at the end if you couldn't tell, but I think I captured the bulk of what I wanted to say here! Thanks for reading.

Hey guys, I guess I'm a bit late to the party but I've been putting this together in word since Callous Cup and finally finished up B tier so figured I might as well share it. I've tried to the best of my abilities to put each pokemon in order of effectiveness.

S

This is the best pokemon in the tier hands down. Great stats across the board + an outstanding movepool make it incredibly versatile. Its DD set is one of the scariest late game cleaners in the tier and the recent popularity of lum set have allowed it to get over one of its biggest hurtles, the fact that a lot of its set up opportunities carry status. It has a plethora of strong bulky mid game attacking sets like the physical 4 attacks set with focus punch and leftovers, a variety of mixed offensive sets, subpunch sets and choice band. It’s also capable of performing a utility role with pursuit sets and roar sets. Really the only pokemon that consistently stays on top and imo the only one that deserves S.

A+

The second-best mon in adv but no longer as dominant as it once was. The thing that’s really holding it back right now is the general unreliability of its best partner, spikes. Rapid spinners like refresh dol and strategies like mag + spinner put a real wrench into any spikes related strategies and gengar often being the center of these strategies from the standpoint of being one of the best spikes abusers and the only really viable spinblocker has suffered as a result. That being said, it is still one of the most dangerous offensive pokemon in the tier. With its great speed, spA and annoying typing it’s still in a great position to take advantage of its excellent coverage, and its wide range of disruptive/utility moves like wisp, hypno and boom among others. Very few teams feel comfortable switching in to this mon so it still holds the number 2 spot. It’s just hard to call it an S rank nowadays in my opinion.

This may be a controversial opinion but I strongly believe swampert is the third best pokemon in the tier at the moment. It’s as it always has been, indispensable on so many teams as a defensive pivot but now more than ever before it’s also a strong offensive threat. Focus punch sets give teams looking for an offensive rock resist, something a little bit more reliable than the EQ weak Metagross and Jirachi that’s still capable of packing a punch unlike bulky flygon, claydol or of course the defensive swampert sets. With focus punch + heavily invested Hydro Pump and Ice beam it’s capable of putting the hurt on common counters to traditional Swampert such as Skarmory, Blissey and Celebi while still providing a decent check to some of the tier’s most dangerous physical threats.

With its excellent typing, great bulk and amazing offensive stats, metagross remains one of the most important tools for offensive teams. It provides a great pivot for teams that can’t afford to be sucking their own tempo away. Additionally it’s one of the best mid game attackers in the tier thanks to its excellent bulk and the immediate power of STAB Meteor Mash backed by a base 135 Attack stat. Its access to Explosion is another huge part of its success, allowing it to easily blow holes in defensive cores and create avenues for faster physical attackers to sweep. It’s also capable of cleaning up on its own with Agility which makes it one of the best win conditions against offensive speed control teams. It’s a fairly simple pokemon but it does what it does really well so it will always be a top tier threat.

There are a lot of similarities between Metagross and Zapdos, both use their combination of natural bulk, strong defensive typings and immediate power to provide offensive teams with some defensive stability and act as powerful midgame attackers. Offensive Zapdos is easily the most consistent midgame attacker on the special side in ADV with only Blissey to truly wall it (and even then, spikes + roar and toxic allow it to give Blissey a hard time). Zapdos is also capable of pulling off a more traditional defensive role with its specially defensive rest sets, which take advantage of its pressure ability to give defensive pokemon a really hard time, as well as its naturally high offense which makes it capable of still hitting hard despite the lack of investment. The only reason I have it lower than Metagross is because its offensive sets have a harder time consistently exerting offensive pressure thanks to Blissey’s presence in the metagame.

This is arguably the pokemon with the most centralizing influence on the ADV metagame and I’m sure many would disagree with me putting it this low on the list. That being said, skarmory’s problem has always been that it’s a 1 trick pony and right now a lot of teams are built with countermeasures to that one trick. It is still the best spiker in the tier however and spikes are an incredibly effective move. Skarmory’s excellent typing and bulk make it a great counter to many of the tier’s offensive threats, and allow it to consistently find times to lay spikes down. The fact that objectively bad pokemon like claydol and magneton are so common right now purely for their ability to shut down skarm is a great indicator of how powerful it can be. Unfortunately, right now these countermeasures do keep it in check and make it incapable of reaching its full potential.

A

This is one of the more unique pokemon in the tier. It shares Metagross’ excellent typing but has almost nothing else in common with it. What makes it so great is its versatility. On the offensive side it has a plethora of sets, each of which capable of taking advantage of the counters of its other sets. Thanks to Calm Mind it is a very capable attacker in both the mid and late game. CM 3 attacks sets use coverage to take on common counters, whereas substitute and bulky wish cm sets are able to take on common walls through either out stalling them or blocking status. Its ability to make 101 hp subs makes Substitute sets particularly effective as they dominate Blissey and unlike cune doen't care about sand. It also has the ability to use unpredictable mixed offensive sets with Dynamic Punch that take advantage of its excellent coverage. There are a ton of otherwise valid teams that just get 6-0’d by one (sometimes more than 1) of Jirachi’s offensive sets. On the defensive side it has lost a bit of its luster but the combination of sand immunity and protect, as well as the defensive sets’ tendency to draw in offensively lacking pokemon make it an excellent wish passer.

This pokemon really sets the benchmark in adv for how effective an offense can be. If your offensive team can’t break bliss it’s going to have a rough time. It’s just so difficult to kill thanks to that insane special bulk, instant 50% recovery and natural cure. It’s pretty common for a bliss taken all the way down to 25-30% through consistently correct Roar/double switch predictions on spikes to just soft-boiled back up again on a special attacker and undo all that hard work. Additionally, despite what people might think at first glance it isn’t exactly a slouch offensively. Fireblast + Ice Beam + stoss and the threat of status give offensive and midrange teams a tough time when it comes to switching in. That being said it does have the potential to be a serious momentum sap, especially when facing teams built around bulky set up mons like lax and cune and the fact that it lets in powerful physical attackers like tyranitar and metagross every time it wants to soft-boiled is a huge drawback. Even still, this pokemon is a top level threat just due its ability to shut down so many offensive pokemon.

This mon is at a bit of a low point right now in adv but it’s still quite good. Defensive sets make for incredible pivots, providing a pseudo special wall that takes on waters and electrics while also checking lax thanks to leech seed. The fact that it provides a ground resist is helpful for physically offensive magneton teams that often stack EQ weaknesses. Leech seed also keeps it from being a total momentum sap, and it can do cool things like baton passing to trappers which has great synergy with the telegraphed switches forced by leech seed. Offensive Celebi can create some very favorable scenarios, especially if it carries baton pass. Lots of teams get trashed by superbi too although its speed tier sometimes leaves a bit to be desired, and it often gets worn down fast. Overall Celebi needs a bit more support these days than it used to, but it’s a consistently strong pokemon that deserves a decently high spot on this list.

I personally think snorlax is quite good right now. Bulky hard-hitting explosion users (or in this case self-destruct) are at a premium right now thanks to the high usage of passive teams that focus on strong defensive cores waiting to get torn apart by a well placed boom. It also provides a nice panic button against bulky set up users like other snorlax and defensive cune. Snorlax works best right now as a specially defensive pivot on offensive teams. It has longevity issues but it still works great on teams that don’t plan to create long games. On the other hand, curselax is another great tool for taking on passive teams and makes for a great win condition on mag+dol teams. Overall, lax is a pokemon with some fairly glaring weaknesses, but when played to its strengths it is quite effective.

I probably have this mon a lot lower than most would. I personally find it to be incredibly inconsistent. The offensive sets work best in the mid game as wall breakers due to their low speed and lack of recovery but even substitute sets can have a hard time getting past bliss, and even temporary checks like zapdos can suffice if you have ways of wearing it down. Defensive sets should on paper be some of the most consistently dangerous pokemon in the tier. They suffer from taking too long to set up and be dangerous however. It’s easy to force cune in to rest loops in the early game and while this may not be a permanent solution, it doesn’t put up the pressure to stop opposing win conditions from being put into place before it can win itself. That being said, when it does work, it fucking works. If there’s one pokemon you can’t play passively around it’s cune, if you give it an inch it will take a mile and defensive sets can force no win scenarios incredibly effectively against passive builds.

This pokemon’s effectiveness depends a lot on the popularity of some of its common targets and right now is a pretty good time for it. Lots of tyranitar are running bulkless lum dd sets, a prime target for dugtrio. It’s also one of the few things that can single handedly stop a team from being jirachi weak, and with the current prevalence of things like heracross, metagross, offensive starmie, magneton and more easily trappable bliss sets, dugtrio finds a niche on a number of teams in the current metagame.

A-

This is a lot lower than I ever would have put it in the past. I think it’s a great pokemon. Intimidate is an insanely good ability that provides a tool to get out of a number of very tricky spots with creative play. Mence’s defensive attributes I think are incredibly underrated but it is first and foremost an offensive pokemon and unfortunately right now it’s a bit lackluster on that side. DD mence is in an interesting spot right now. A lot of the offensive teams of the metagame struggle against it because after one dance it’s faster than their emergency speed control options. That being said, it has always struggled against bulky teams. It just doesn’t hit hard enough to break them due to its under powered moves. CB mence struggles against protect and the constant sand chip is a massive drawback. Finally, mixmence, which used to be its best set is at a bit of a low point at the moment. The prevalence of bliss, and spdef zap, as well as the recent rise in milotic usage, give it a hard time offensively and its speed tier has always held it back. I personally think mence is due to rise again as these bulky teams start to fade. It’s particularly effective against mixed offense builds and is arguably the best counter to heracross who’s recently been riding a big wave of success. Right now however, Mence isn’t shining as bright as it could be.

When it comes to all of the bulky builds I’ve been talking about, if you want to put an end to the passive safe strategies that are infesting the metagame there’s no better pokemon to ask than the manliest one in ADV. Heracross can 1v1 just about every defensive pokemon in the game and punishes the hell out of passive teams. These teams came out as a response to the toxic spamming tss builds of around a year ago and they are very easily exploitable so Heracross’ time in the sun may be coming to an end as people realize these teams suck and start using the faster more offensive teams that give hera a hard time, but right now it’s in a prime position.

The most dangerous late game pokemon still holds a spot among the A ranks. It’s taken a bit of a dive as teams have started to rely less on swampert as their solo rock resist, using combinations of claydol, jirachi, metagross and pert, which challenges Aero’s prediction game. Still it’s the best pokemon for controlling the late game just due to how effective it is against other fast frail cleaners. It can double in on the likes of Gengar, Starmie, Zapdos, Salamence and Celebi and immediately force damage on something with the right prediction. The offensive tss teams that used to be where it found itself at home aren’t as effective right now as they used to be but it still finds a nice place on Boom offenses and the cloyster offenses that have held on where the rest of the offensive tss archetype has failed.

This pokemon’s main assets are its great speed tier, and the combination of solid special attack, a powerful stab and great coverage. If there’s no bliss in the way, Starmie can pummel through just about any team assuming it doesn’t miss hydro pump at an unfortunate time. I personally like to use 4 attacks with psychic as the last move to maximize its offensive potential but Rapid Spin is a solid utility option. It’s not gonna be consistently blocking spike set up but if used at the right moments it can take away the late game pressure of an offensive spikes team or allow a dangerous set up sweeper like dd tar to get in without taking damage. Bulky star is not great imo. It has trouble breaking skarmory which limits its utility as a rapid spinner, ie the only utility bulky star really brings to a team. If you’re gonna use it though, use thunder wave.

B+

This pokemon only exists in adv because of skarmory. It singlehandedly prevents Skarm from being a reliable defensive wall, allowing things like dd mence, curselax and agiligross among others to be viable win conditions and giving physically offensive teams a decent anti spikes measure. Outside of that though it doesn’t have a lot going for it. It’s frail, relatively slow, extremely vulnerable to dugtrio and has a pretty horrible movepool. It does have a pretty beefy special attack stat and its typing has its uses. It also has utility in trapping things like forretress and metagross albeit less reliably than it can with skarm. All in all, it’s not dead weight but if not for the amazing utility it gains thanks to its ability to remove skarm it wouldn’t be the staple it is.

I’m personally a big fan of Jolteon. It’s a cool check to a number of special threats and a decent late game cleaner. There’s no denying it has its flaws though. It’s frail as hell on the physical side and could be bulkier on the special side. It also doesn’t always hit as hard as you’d want it to. A problem that’s compounded by its only decent attacks being thunderbolt + your hidden power of choice. On the right team though this thing puts in work. The speed alone is amazing for putting late game threats like gengar and starmie in their place. It checks zapdos (although twave variants give it a hard time) and is pretty strong against mixmence too. It also has some interesting utility options for its last slot. Roar is the standard allowing it to take advantage of spikes, twave is great for crippling dangerous set up sweepers in the late game, my personal favorite though is wish. Wish jolt is an amazing partner for bulky physical attackers like Tyranitar, Metagross and Snorlax who generally match up well against most of Jolteon’s counters and appreciate the extra recovery. Wishing up with jolt on a switch to bliss and giving your weakened lax a new lease on life is an amazing feeling. Overall a great option for offensive teams who need an extra zapdos/gengar answer and appreciate some speed control.

I consider this mon to be like the special attacking version of heracross. A little bit slower than you might like, and gets forced out by a lot of offensive mons but hits so fucking hard. Of course, being a special attacker, it is more easily walled thanks to the existence of blissey (hence the lower placement on this list) but there are a ton of teams that literally cannot switch in to it. Wisp helps a lot here since things like aero, tar, mence and lax that would otherwise handle it can get absolutely blown out of the water. It even has ways of breaking past bliss which is something that can’t really be said of basically any non-boosting pure special attacker. Fire blast does a solid 25% so with roar + spikes or previous damage + overheat it’s even capable of taking on the most unkillable mon in the tier. It provides very little defensive value, countering pretty much just metagross with any sort of reliability, but its incredible offensive presence makes it worth using.

I’ve been on a bit of a cloyster high recently. The secret to using this mon is to not try and spin with it. Spikes + Dual STAB + Boom is a fantastic set. Generally, you get up only one layer of spikes before you’re best off just booming, but that’s part of what makes cloyster such a great spiker. Unlike skarm it isn’t bogged down in its utility. It can get pretty great value just through its ability to threaten boom, which coincidentally goes well with its STABS. The ability to steal momentum from most of the bulky waters in the tier is also a huge bonus. Of course, this mon has some ridiculous flaws. Its typing is atrocious defensively, and its stats are just so poorly allocated. I don’t know who thought it was a good idea to give 180 defense to a mon with no recovery, a weakness to spikes and sand, no physical resistances, barely any HP and shedinja level special defense. Still, it’s a great fit for offensive spikes teams especially considering all the anti skarm measures used on stall these days which really neuter skarm offense.

B

I really want this mon to be good. I like not having my ability to counter ttar being linked to my ability to keep spikes off my side and it's one of the coolest looking pokemon in gen 3 for all that's worth. I actually think impish flygon was a great set. It was great at spreading toxic and it was a surprisingly good physically defensive pivot even against some things not named Tyranitar. Unfortunately, the fact that it’s so easily exploited defensively by Ice Beam tar coupled with its relatively poor offensive capabilities really holds it back. I personally find CB gon to be an incredibly inconsistent set. It relies way too heavily on EQ which so much of the tier is straight up immune to. This makes predicting with it a bit of a challenge. Right now, your best bet imo is fast offensive lefties sets. It has bad 4mss but if you happen to have the right 4 moves for the match up it can really put your opponent on the back foot while still providing a solid counter to non IB dd tar.

The fact that this mon will give you a pretty huge advantage against 4 out of the 5 most common leads in the metagame right off the bat thanks to sleep powder makes it pretty awesome in my opinion. Throw in that it’s got leech seed, decent bulk, a toxic immunity and an ok defensive typing and you’ve got a pretty solid pokemon. Unfortunately, lack of recovery really holds it back and it gets a lot of competition in its defensive niche from the vastly superior Celebi. Still, if you use it for its strengths (hint hint, fast lead sleep powder) instead of using it as a bad Celebi, it’s got a lot going for it. Also more people should use roar on it. It's a great 4th move for the fast bulky sets. No worrying about sub Zapdos, provides a nice check to subcune, and allows for some great spikes abuse.

This pokemon is in a weird spot. The kinds of teams that most appreciate its ability to remove dugtrio are often the ones that least appreciate its unfortunate lack of any sort of offense. It’s a momentum suck that often finds itself on otherwise balls to the wall offenses. Still, the ability to countertrap the mole makes a lot of pokemon combinations that would otherwise be completely unviable, possible. Additionally, it’s not a complete slouch. The defensive utility it provides is useful. Ultimately, I wish adv had a better way of removing dugtrio but porygon2 is what it gave us so I’ll take it.

I’m a bit torn on forretress. On the one hand, its bug STAB makes it a surprisingly effective spiker in the adv meta. It doesn’t get as many chances to set up as Skarm or even Cloyster but it’s a lot better at keeping its spikes on the table. Refresh dol isn’t coming in and blanking it and Starmie just flat loses to it. The fact that it gets explosion is also nice (although it has a hard time using it effectively). It’s problem though is literally everything else. It provides negative defensive utility. It doesn’t counter any offensive threats, allows a number of dangerous mons in for free and then allows them to set up all over it. Every time you click spikes with this mon, there’s a cost. The other thing is that it’s supposed to be a rapid spinner and it really can’t do it. It just takes way too many steps and by that point you’re behind. This is a huge problem because one of its main chances to set up spikes is skarmory, and thanks to its own spikes weakness plus the rigidity it requires in its team mates it often compounds spikes weaknesses on the teams it finds itself on. I think there’s always gonna be a place in adv for forretress because spikes are just so damn good and it's one of three halfway decent pokemon that can use it, but it’s incredibly flawed.

This thing is great just for its ability to go toe to toe with every mon in the bog standard 5-man adv lineup of tar, gar, skarm, bliss and pert. Knock off is a stupidly crippling move and the combination of great bulk and fighting stab put it in a great position to take advantage of tar and bliss. Its resistances and recovery do leave a bit to be desired which limits its defensive utility (unfortunate for a primarily defensive pokemon), but it’s a great anti stall mon which grants it a definite niche.

This is one of those pokemon I rarely use but I hate playing against. It’s just so hard to kill. It’s one of the last things that jolteon spikes offenses want to face and it puts a hard stop to any mixed offensive trickery. Still, it suffers from being not quite physically bulky enough and more importantly, from just not really being able to do much offensively unless facing an offense with no water resist. My main issue with it is I can rarely find a reason to use it on my teams. It’s solid enough though I guess.

B-

I like weezing. It’s got wisp, boom and high power moves that allow it to overcome its mediocre offense. It checks pretty much every physical attacker in the tier (although it counters very few of them), hard counters skarm and with the right prediction can put in work. It’s definitely not perfect though, there’s some games where it just does absolutely nothing and its low speed + lack of any spdef makes it very prediction reliant. Overall though it’s a nice tool for offensive teams that gives them a little extra backbone on the physical defense side while still exerting some nice offensive pressure.

I honestly haven’t used this mon in years so not really gonna comment on it. I can get behind the argument that its main utility is defensive but I do feel like it has serious issues with sand. I often just see it getting worn down over the course of the match without really doing much in return. Twave seems like its best set because it is quite good at luring in bulky gar.

It’s been kind of a meme for the past few years or so to shit on this pokemon and tbh I don’t really think it deserves it. It has issues as UD mentioned with being naturally soft countered by half the members of a lot of adv teams and sand + spikes hurt it but it’s a good gar/electric switch if you avoid status and there is a surprising number of teams that don’t think to pack counters to it. Overall, it’s not bad. Not great either, but not bad.

I honestly hate this mon. I think it’s representative of a very flawed mindset a lot of pokemon players have when it comes to team building. It’s the ultimate example of building to react to your opponent’s strategies as opposed to enacting your own. Seriously what does this thing do besides blank skarm? I mean it kinda half-assedly checks things like ttar, jirachi and electrics but you don’t want to be relying on claydol for that or you’ll get eaten alive. Still, there’s no denying that it gives an otherwise incredibly reliable playstyle a really hard time so it gets a spot on this list but yeah, not a fan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is about where I’m gonna leave this list off because let’s face it, people’s opinions on the “niche” pokes are always incredibly subjective. I’ll comment on some of the things I left off the list though without ranking them:

Probably the most controversial one I kept off the list. I just don’t think it’s very good. Toxic/wisp ruin it, sand/spikes give it very little longevity and it’s naturally checked by some very popular pokemon. I get why people like it, it kinda sorta counters a lot of stuff and it hits somewhat hard but yeah I’ve never been impressed with any team I’ve had that uses it.

I considered putting this one on. If you can get bliss/pure waters out of the way this thing can wreck and it is quite bulky too which eases set up. My biggest issue is that its set up isn’t permanent and with protect + a few mons that can tank its hits you can often mitigate a lot of the damage this thing is capable of doing.

Another mon I considered putting on. It can be a bad milotic that provides wish support or an interesting offensive mon. You don’t see a whole lot of it but I think some of its newer offensive sets have a lot of potential.

Didn't consider putting this on the list but I just wanna say this is probably the most C rank worthy mon that doesn't appear on anyone's viability rankings. It's annoying as hell to face with sub+sandveil+swords dance (salac berry is a nice item on it). Bit of a hax reliant mon but it gives itself a lot of chances to hax and I can't tell you how many times I've seen this mon win games from ridiculously poor positions. It's a gimmick but it's worth noting.

McMeghan

Dreamcatcher
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the 5th Smogon Classic Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 14 Championis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Chose promie, chose due as we say here, let's get this update rolling!

I will just quote myself from the previous update regarding how this thing works:

I want every "relevant" ADV players to PM me their own ranking. I will then make an average of everyone's ranking to reach the final result (similary to the SPL pre-season power rankings). I plan to disclose the full results and show who voted what exactly (unless they don't want to be revealed). I will also probably discount every pokemon's highest and lowest individual ranking to avoid outliers.

I want you guys to give this post a quick read, and if you care about this thing, to send me YOUR own viability ranking by PM. Please also mention if you'd like your ranking to be associated with your name or not. Also, if you know anyone you'd consider as qualified enough to send their take on the matter, let them know and tell them to PM me with their ranking too.

The only thing I'll do is probably decide myself whose vote gets to be taken into account for the averaged result at the end. Feel free to ask me in PM if you'd make the cut so you dont waste time sending a ranking for no reason.

In the meantime, feel free to influence everyone's vote by pushing for or against various Pokemons.
Gonna highlight the ADV Players I could quickly find from WCoP or Classic but once again, please feel free to send me your rankings, especially if you're an active ADVer. The more the better.

.Mx Triangles UD Kushalos Ojama Astamatitos pasy_g BKC M Dragon Jirachee eden's embrace thelinearcurve smilzo Nails Lavos undisputed Cowboy Dan Star Fear Gilbert arenas dice zf

McMeghan

Dreamcatcher
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the 5th Smogon Classic Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 14 Championis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Update time.
Thanks to Gilbert arenas Lord Ninjax eden's embrace Jirachee Eeveeto BKC Cowboy Dan Fear Triangles Astamatitos M Dragon Star for sending their rankings.

Without further ado, here are the new Viability Rankings:
S RANK
Tyranitar​
S- RANK
Gengar​
A+ RANK
Metagross​
Skarmory​
Zapdos​

A RANK
Swampert​
Suicune​
Blissey​
Jirachi​
Celebi​

A- RANK
Salamence​
Snorlax​
Dugtrio​
Aerodactyl​
B+ RANK
Starmie​
Heracross​
Magneton​

B RANK
Jolteon​
Flygon​
Claydol​
Moltres​
Milotic​
B- RANK
Porygon2​
Cloyster​
Venusaur​
Forretress​
Gyarados​

C+ RANK
Weezing​
Regice​
Hariyama​
Raikou​
C RANK
Vaporeon​
Houndoom​
Kingdra​
Ludicolo​
Jynx​
C- RANK
Charizard​
Camerupt​
Smeargle​
Medicham​
Marowak​

D+ RANK
Donphan​
Machamp​
Steelix​
Registeel​
Regirock​
Dragonite​
Gligar​
Alakazam​
Umbreon​
Omastar​
Cacturne​
Dusclops​
Rhydon​
Breloom​
Lunatone​

D RANK
Articuno​
Blaziken​
Tauros​

D- RANK
Sceptile​
Solrock​
Exeggutor​
Slaking​
Jumpluff​
Armaldo​

You can consult all the datas by clicking HERE.

Some explanations, informations, etc:
  • The first post has been updated with the above ranking. You can see the old ranking and the new ranking side by side >>here<<.
  • I have added ranks and subranks. I might have took some liberty but basically, I used the Average for establishing them. I'll elaborate on why I made the cuts where I did if you want. We could totally use the thread to discuss where to cut the ranks though.
  • Important: As I said in the original post, I have decided to remove outliers out of the equation for the final ranking. That means I did not take into account the highest and lowest individual ranking for each Pokemon in their average, as I felt it'd be a good way to remove bias in general. If two people sent the highest individual ranking of one Pokemon, I of course only discounted one of them.
  • If you open the data document, you will notice there are two "R2" pages. The first one has all the datas with the outliers manually removed. The second page has all the datas. You can see each and everyone's ranking there. I have highlighted in green the positive outliers and red the negative outliers.
  • In case of a tie (for example Skarmory and Zapdos), the tiebreaker was their ranking with the outliers.
  • I have decided to remove some Pokemons from the Rankings as they didn't receive enough data, showing that truely, not enough players cared for them.
This second group ranking's statistics:
  • This time around, there were more people who had the final Top 10 as theirs: Lord Ninjax, BKC, Fear and myself.
  • From Tyranitar (1) to Donphan (42), the outliers didn't influence the final ranking, beside separating some ties.
  • If we take the first 20 Pokemons into account, the players with the most outliers is Eeveeto with 8*.
  • With 36 Pokemons (S->C+), it still is Eeveto with 13 occurences*, closely followed by BKC (12) and M Dragon (11).
  • If we take the first 20 Pokemons into account, the player with the least outlier are Lord Ninjax, Cowboy Dan and Fear with 3*.
  • With 36 Pokemons, they are Lord Ninjax and Fear with 4*.
  • Among the top 20, the most extreme outlier is Cowboy Dan's Claydol (30><20).
  • The single biggest outlier is BKC's Raikou (58><33).
*without taking Gengar's 2nd rank into account as it was agreed upon by almost everyone.

If you have questions or some remarks to say, go ahead.

So. With this. Can we change Moltres, Venusaur, may be Weezing, Hariyama too, from BL to OU. I dont think it affects the metagame at all, may be except the random battle which is not really important

Also, I notice you guys changed Breloom from BL to UU, you should take some others too like arcanine or swellow

I have no qualms with any of those moving to OU as they improved drastically post restalk era. Granted their usage is still low enough to warrant them remaining to BL.

As for the suggested drops: I suspect Arcanine, Swellow and particularly Breloom to be really dominant in UU. The reason for BL being there is to prevent overpowered entities from being allowed in UU in the first place.

Having said that, its been brought up a few times in council, whether a tier should be created from ADV BL as its such a long list. This would require coordination with tier leaders and its something we would be open to explore whether feasible.

But Breloom is now UU....

Also Moltres usage is higher than atleast 5 OU pokemon in the last few months
I've confirmed with the UU Tier head that ADV Breloom is indeed BL. It being designated as UU on the site was a typo that will be fixed momentarily. I'd also suggest you to be a bit more informed with your posts, ADV UU has not changed 'recently'.

When you say 'Moltres usage is higher', what stats are you referring to? We don't base tiers off WCoP or SPL usage as that's a tiny sample pool. The tiers have been static for more or less ever since ADV passed from current gen. It is however in the cards to decide whether another tier is to be created, but thats a topic for another time.

Last edited:
Not difficult to recognize but the following message makes a sad impression next to the great quality of previous posts (especially that we are dealing with great connoisseurs of this tier, which is very far from my case). dainghia0510 was a little ahead of me about the possible rise of some BLs in OU, following the major remake of the VRs. If I understand well the strategic policy in ADV, the placement of this or that pokemon in a tier is the result of old use statistics (probably at the time of NetBattle) and not from a cut of the VRs. But given the big update and if we base ourselves this time on a division by the VRs (as is the case in GSC NU or ADV PU, with the limit being the rank C+), we would have four changes:

UUBL to OU:
1544761078827.png
1544761111076.png
(as classified respectively B and B-)
OU to UU/UUBL:
1544761147016.png
1544761167703.png
(as classified C+)

Nothing very revolutionary of course (the UUBL futur is infinitely more interesting) but as these VRs will probably be carved in stone for a long time, it seemed interesting for me to mention it here.

As a player who has a bit of experience in ADV BL, I think that Raikou would probably be an healthy addition to the meta, since the tier lacks very solid Electric-types, making Vaporeon very tough to break through sometimes, as the best we have left are Grass-types, which have to be wary of Ice Beam and their best STABs have only 70 BP (HP Grass / Leaf Blade), Choice Band users, which can be played around with Protect that Vaporeon often carries, Thunderbolt users like Dragonite and Lapras which sadly don't hard enough and more niche Mons like Lanturn. Of course Toxic and defensive oriented set-up Mon exists, but many offensive teams don't want to rely on that. Regice's introduction would probably be very beneficial as well, since it will make a great check to the aforementionned Raikou and will certainly help against other scary threats like Alakazam. It remains a good special tank that's not as passive as Chansey and defensive Registeel when played offensively.

The departure of Venusaur, on the other hand, would be very detrimental in my opinion. Indeed, the tier will lose an important answer to Fighting-types (Weezing is still here though) and it's only Defensive Grass-type (well Meganium may have a niche but...) which is the most suited to check most Water-type bar Ludicolo due to its bulk that allows it to take Ice Beam decently. On the other hand, I don't have a strong opinion on Moltres leaving, because its SubToxic variant can be extremely annoying both in practice and in teambuilding (mainly because Morning Sun is now reliable), but still totally manageable. It's defensive and offensive presence probably won't be missed as much as Venusaur's but are still good to have, mainly because bulky SD Scizor is pretty damn good in my experience.

I know that tiering doesn't completely lies and viability though, I'm just making some assumptions in case the above shifts happen, if there's anyone interested in ADV BL.

To remain on topic, I think that Swampert would fit better in A+. Its defensive presence is one of the most valuable in the tier, even against teams that packs several HP Grass. With the correct set, it can play around almost everything that would want to lure / check it : Protect lets it scout through Hp Grass / Explosion, Refresh + Toxic allows it to 1v1 most opposing Toxic users, Hydro Pump with SpA punishes Skarmory, whereas Focus Punch or CB variant as a whole dents Blissey, Curse with HP Rock beats some Rest users like non-HP Grass Zapdos... Overall, it's rarely ever deadweight and is a gluemon for a lot of teams. In term of splashability, reliability and versatility, I think it's easily on par with the likes of Zapdos and Metagross.

I would put Ursaring in the C+ tier. This bad boi can switch in, tank a special hit, bulk up and go off. Certainly not S or A tier but I think our bear Ursaring deserves a spot in the B tier. Also Regice is resurfacing and doing moderately well so I would move it to B-.

Ursaring @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Return
- Hidden Power Ghost
- Earthquake

Last edited:
I really disagree with ursaring rising to C+, at least on the basis of that bulk up set. Skarm is everywhere and turns that set into free spikes all day, so it needs mag support, and there are way better mons to use if you're going to use that much team support. At the very least I'd want to run something with focus punch and high attack to take advantage of skarm with toxic and no attacks.

I'd also like to know what you're planning on switching that into cause I'm pretty sure even with max special bulk a lot of strong special mons can 1v1 you if you switch into them like zapdos. Maybe a gengar spamming wisp, but even then you're going to be going down fast with burn damage and sand and maybe spikes.

The rest of the C+ mons have at least one guaranteed safe switch in on a top tier mon, especially hariyama who seems to do the same set better since it can actually do some damage to skarm and switches into ttar all day.

Maybe I'm wrong though. I'd love to see some replays of this set in action.

On an unrelated note, what do cacturne and lunatone do to get their ranks? I don't think I've ever actually seen either of them in a game of rse ou. Is it just sand shenanigans spikes/ CM pass respectively? Thank you,

The way the ranking works is a bit odd. Registeel and gligar both have 3 people putting them in their rank when many others dont care about them at all, if they have to put these mons in their lists, they might get bottom spots. If we replace the null in data with rank 60 or sth the result would be much different

Anyway D rank doesnt matter so w/e

McMeghan

Dreamcatcher
Big Chungus Winner
Considering that SPL ended and ADV Cup is around the corner, I think this is a good time to update the VRs.

I will just quote myself from the previous update regarding how this thing works:

I want every "relevant" ADV players to PM me their own ranking. I will then make an average of everyone's ranking to reach the final result (similary to the SPL pre-season power rankings). I plan to disclose the full results and show who voted what exactly (unless they don't want to be revealed). I will also probably discount every pokemon's highest and lowest individual ranking to avoid outliers.

I want you guys to give this post a quick read, and if you care about this thing, to send me YOUR own viability ranking by PM. Please also mention if you'd like your ranking to be associated with your name or not. Also, if you know anyone you'd consider as qualified enough to send their take on the matter, let them know and tell them to PM me with their ranking too.

The only thing I'll do is probably decide myself whose vote gets to be taken into account for the averaged result at the end. Feel free to ask me in PM if you'd make the cut so you dont waste time sending a ranking for no reason.

In the meantime, feel free to influence everyone's vote by pushing for or against various Pokemons.
Please feel free to send me your rankings, especially if you're an active ADVer. Share this with your friends who play the tier. The more the better.
HLing the SPL players: Gilbert arenas thelinearcurve Triangles eden's embrace Golden Sun zf Alexander. Jirachee dekzeh dice
UD Hyogafodex Kevin Garrett k3nan and some more Lavos Astamatitos M Dragon BKC Cowboy Dan Star

I only ranked mons that are higher than C rank - I didn't care much to nitpick whether Regirock is more usable than Slaking on any given team.

I acknowledge that this list is extremely slanted by my current preferences. Also, Dug and Celebi are both mons that suck whenever I use them, but are really annoying when my opponents use them. It is very possible that they deserve higher spots.

S Rank

Tyranitar

A+ Rank

Metagross

Gengar

Blissey

A Rank

Swampert

Zapdos

Skarmory

Salamence

Snorlax

A- Rank

Dugtrio

Claydol

Jirachi

Celebi

Suicune

B+ Rank

Starmie

Heracross

Magneton

Jolteon

Flygon

Cloyster

Moltres

Milotic

Aerodactyl

Gyarados

Jynx

B Rank

Porygon2

Houndoom

Breloom

Machamp

Hariyama

B- Rank

Umbreon

Smeargle

Vaporeon

Venusaur

Kingdra

Ludicolo

S Rank
Tyranitar

A+ Rank
Gengar
Blissey
Swampert
Zapdos
Metagross

A Rank
Skarmory
Suicune
Jirachi
Salamence
Dugtrio
Celebi
Snorlax

A- Rank
Magneton
Claydol
Aerodactyl
Starmie
Jolteon
Cloyster

B+ Rank
Heracross
Flygon
Gyarados
Moltres
Milotic
Porygon2

B Rank
Forretress
Jynx
Houndoom
Breloom
Machamp
Hariyama

B- Rank
Umbreon
Smeargle
Vaporeon
Venusaur
Kingdra
Ludicolo
Weezing
Regice
Raikou

Last edited:
This is what I sent in to McMeghan

S rank
Tyranitar

S-
Gengar
Metagross

A+
Zapdos
Swampert
Skarmory
Blissey

A
Suicune
Snorlax
Celebi
Jirachi
Dugtrio

A-
Starmie
Salamence
Claydol
Aerodactyl

B+
Magneton
Heracross
Moltres

B
Jolteon
Milotic
Cloyster
Venusaur
Porygon2

B-
Flygon
Forretress
Ludicolo
Raikou
Hariyama

C+
Smeargle
Gyarados
Weezing
Vaporeon
Donphan
Regice

C
Houndoom
Kingdra
Jynx
Marowak
Machamp

C-
Cacturne
Medicham
Charizard
Camerupt
Alakazam

Gengar stays in S- despite all the special TTar because it's still such a threat. Boom, speed, and new techs like SpD DBond give it so much potential and utility for a team and the checks are still few and far between, limited to SpD Bi, Bliss, SBall Lax, and TTar, none of which come away unscathed. Metagross up to S- because it does everything (defensive utility with normal / rock resist and bulk, strong boom, pursuit, agility sweeper etc) and will always be a threat to pretty much every team. Skarm annoys it but it can't switch in against CB forever and can be removed by mag for lefties sets.

I ranked Skarm in A+ because it really does define the metagame as the only defensive spiker; you also see set and team choices that beat out adaptions like passive spinners (fast taunt, drill peck) and trappers (fast hp ground, Dug partners). I moved Pert up to A+ because it's the best water by far at the moment; recent developments with offensive EV spreads, Focus Punch, and Refresh really make it a versatile threat that fits much better on offensive sand than ever before.

Snorlax up to A because it's a straight-up beast. Curselax is a threat to every team, especially passive ones; I use it a lot and can say with confidence it's the last mon I want to play against as TSS, weatherless, or special offense. Even underexplored Impish HP Steel spreads can decimate physical offenses. Dugtrio also gets a rise because I think it's so versatile; TSS are starting to use it as well to combat Mag and abuse Tox Pert and Tox Zap that pair so well with it.

Aero stays in A- for me because it's a threat you need to respect in the builder or you will lose. It's bad right now, but if you show up with 1 rock resist, you're in for a wild ride. Starmie is at the top of A- because it's what Aero used to be: a fast sweeper that punishes offenses. It also removes hazards against TSS and will force Bliss in every time.

Moltres up to B+ because you're shit out of luck if you face it without Bliss; TTar and Mence hate burns and waters are scared by HP grass. It has some underexplored options in Sunny Day and Agility as well.

Jolteon down to B because it's just not great right now. It hates being statused, Bliss is everywhere, and it lacks the power to actually break through most teams in the lategame like it used to.

Flygon sucks with all the Ice Beam TTar, that's the whole reason it's in B-. Ludicolo will beat every offense because rain is super strong. It also provides a Starmie check, which offenses sorely lack.

McMeghan

Dreamcatcher
Big Chungus Winner
Gonna post my rankings, although I will keep things brief (by my standards)

Tyranitar
-
Metagross
Swampert

Metagross is one of the most consistent Pokemon in my opinion. Incredible typing + natural stats means its hard to take advantage of and it almost always at least trades 1 for 1 with its Boom. It fits all kind of teams and is great at picking teams apart to get going. Swampert is still the best glue in the tier and its new sets make it both less abusable and fit more playstyles.
-
Zapdos
Gengar
Suicune
Celebi

Zapdos combination of power/speed/status threats/typing means it can also fit all kind of teams and is great at getting momentum on your side. It's just a very consistent Pokemon that never does nothing. Gengar I feel is only truely amazing with Spikes, and Ive found Spikes team to be worse than before. I still think this Pokemon is only clear #2 when it runs Hypnosis, even if it's unreliable, but people never use it anymore. Typing + versability still makes it amazing and Boom sets are outstanding even in Spikes-less builds. Suicune is a kind of personal favorite of mine. Offensive sets pull so much work in the right context (often means you wanna grab a free CM and you're not facing a Blissey or random hard wall like Vaporeon). Defensive sets need a lot of support to properly work imo but they're worth it. Celebi has gotten hella better in my opinion, due to the rise of its offensive sets, and I'm thinking of the CM/HP Fire/Baton Pass set in particular. This set forces defensive builds' hand like nothing else. Despite its flaws that made him fall in the ranks in the past, I think it's one of the best playmaker in the tier with its Baton Pass sets that make unique archetypes work very well.
-
Skarmory
Blissey
Jirachi

Probably one of my hottest take, but I think Skarmory is at its right place here. I've never seen more anti-spikes measures than nowadays, especially with the rise of MagDol teams and sets like Refresh Claydol. Now some Skarmory have adapted with the return of Drill Peck or that Yoloskarm set, but I still think this Pokemon is both flawed itself (no offensive presence, abused by dangerous Pokemons, aka usual skarm stuff) and now faces more hate than ever. Ive seen so many spikes team fall flat because they're either facing mag+spin shit or just teams that don't rly care about the spikes and now they also have to use Skarm's dead slot. I'm basically mentionning all its flaws here, but its just to shed some lights on everything that makes it so good otherwise and gives it a 8th spot for just clicking the move spikes and protect lol. Blissey is the best special wall in the tier but it's also one of the most abused Pokemon to make your opponent progress with their breakers (or spikers) which is why I'm putting it there. Jirachi is incredibly versatile and its sand immunities make it one of the most unique and valuable mixed wall/special attackers. However, its held back by its lack of raw power, vulnebality to status and omnipresent ground/fire weaknesses.
-
Snorlax
Salamence
Dugtrio

Snorlax is actually amazing and a very consistent Pokemon in my opinion. Offensive sets often have no problems trading at least 1 for 1 while maintening special attackers at bay early game, while defensive sets are similar to Cune in their support demand / gamewinners ratio. However, it needs better prediction than Metagross to work in its offensive role. I've never been a big Salamence fan, and i've always felt like i was among the people who rank it the lowest. DD is probably pretty good right now with all those offensive perts taking a fuckload from +1 stab tho. Dugtrio I won't go into details as I don't think much has changed about it.
-
Starmie
Magneton
Heracross
Claydol
Jolteon
Aerodactyl

Starmie has become the most consistent of this group of Pokemons to me, hence why I'm ranking it here. No offense wanna face offensive starmie basically, and some defensive sets have rose to prominence to put a wrench in those ever-so-popular spikes build. Spin utility mid-late game once the spinner has been dealt with can be a gamechanger. Magneton is a very flawed Pokemon but trapping Skarmory is just that good and win games by itself so thats why it's here. With Foretress unpopularity, I think its also safer than ever to use elec/grass coverage and make it better as a Pokemon in general than with its elec/fire combo. Heracross is a beast and loves facing those anti-spikes mag/dol teams. However, Drill Peck Skarm is an annoyance for it. I've been on the Claydol train for a while now, and it seems it's more popular than ever across the playerbase. Between offensive sets and Refresh, it really evolved a lot in the past year to gain that rightful popularity. It can still be hard to find the good balance between using its defensive strenghts while not being an abusable deadweight offensively. I actually hate the refresh sets lol. Jolteon is one of the most consistent spikes abuser and a great pivot around popular special attackers like Zap/Gengar. Speed + baton pass also means its great at checking offensive pokemons while provending momentum vs defensive builds (and gives it a role in spikes-less offenses as well). Aerodactyl is probably worse than ever in my opinion, but you gotta respect it like zf said.
-
Porygon2
Flygon
Moltres
Milotic
Raikou
Cloyster
Gyarados
Venusaur
Forretress

Porygon2 allows for team archetypes by itself and is a good catch-all checks for pretty much everything with its sheer bulk and status options hence why I'm putting it so high. It can be kind of a do-nothing mon, especially vs fat stuff, but oftentimes, it'll be paired with Pokemons that abuse those teams. Flygon is still a wet noodle that is pretty bad without spikes. Defensive sets are cool but the ice weakness means your team will shit itself if you face ice coverage on the thing you're supposed to use it for. Moltres bullies some teams like nothing else but can have a hard time finding value vs Blissey teams, especially if they have a good anti-spikes plan. Good defensive typing + spikes immunity makes it worthy of its ever-growing popularity. To see what I think of Milotic, go read Triangles old post. I'll mention that one of its best trait is its ability to hold off special attackers that put a lot more pressure on standard bulky waters like Gengar/Starmie with its naturally high spdef+recover combo. I'm pretty high on Raikou because I think with the right support, it's a great check to otherwise hard to stop Pokemons like Zapdos/Gengar. Ive had a lot of good results with its good old offensive sets though and its speed gives it unique advantages in CM spam that makes it worth using past its flaws. Cloyster is the second best spiker in the tier nowadays imo, but it struggles from finding openings sometimes and it can be hard to get anything but one spikes out of it vs offense. Gyarados's unique typing + spikes immunity gives it a great defensive utility in fat builds, try it out! Although I still haven't used Venusaur myself, I've seen it enough now to recognize how fuckin good it can be early game, but past that it's pretty average and it hates status.
-
Weezing
Hariyama
Regice
Vaporeon
Kingdra
Ludicolo
Smeargle
Houndoom
Jynx
Steelix
Machamp
Medicham
Breloom
Camerupt

Those Pokemons have all been on the rise with new sets/found niches (Hariyama, Vaporeon, Jynx, Machamp to name a few) or have stayed consistently worth using in my opinion (Kingdra, Ludicolo, Steelix for example). Haven't ranked Pokemons I either never use or rarely see in general.

Last edited:
bad user makes bad VR

S Rank
Tyranitar

A+ Rank
Gengar
Swampert
Metagross
Zapdos
Celebi

A Rank
Skarmory
Jirachi
Blissey
Suicune
Salamence
Snorlax

A- Rank
Dugtrio
Claydol
Jolteon
Starmie
Heracross
Cloyster

B+ Rank
Magneton
Moltres
Aerodactyl
Milotic
Flygon
Porygon2
Gyarados

B Rank
Regice
Forretress
Jynx
Breloom
Raikou
Houndoom
Hariyama

B- Rank
Smeargle
Vaporeon
Venusaur
Ludicolo
Kingdra

C+ Rank
Armaldo
Umbreon
Machamp
Weezing
Camerupt
Steelix

C Rank
Medicham
Lunatone
Marowak
Donphan
Jumpluff
Cacturne
Charizard

BP RANK (on a full chain roughly B Rank, otherwise lower than C, barring maaaaybe sciz)
Mr.Mime
Mawile
Scizor
(Clamperl) * harms the integrity of fullpass and makes it weaker to it’s usual counters but wins games with much less setup than in-chain recipients

I've missed stuff in the bp rank almost definitely but whatever that's just a footnote innit.
I didn't bother ranking anything lower than C as I feel once you get to that realm of relative unviability it becomes hard to justify ranking any of those pokemon much higher than others due to them almost all being completely ungood to bring.

weezing suuuuuuuucks

UD

BeerLover
The Definitive ADV Viability Rankings, by UD (part 2)

A+ Rank
(Tier defining Mons)

For the first time in three years, I don't consider Tyranitar to be worthy of the S rank title. He's simply not good enough in today's metagame to earn that ranking. On offensive teams, DD Tar, BKC Tar, or CB Tar just exacerbate Dugtrio and Starmie weaknesses. On defensive teams, Pursuit Tar exacerbates Heracross/random Fighting Mon weaknesses. I think the current metagame trends have all just been too unkind to this guy. That being said, he is still number one in the tier due to his ability to impact every game just by setting permanent Sandstorm. However, I would be lying if I didn't say I was tempted to not even put him at #1.

Swampert to me is stronger than it has ever been. I don't even rate the offensive sets that much. They're cute techs and all, but in my opinion they are his 3rd best set, and that is pushing it (Endeavor might be better I think). Instead, it's the Refresh set that has unbelievable longevity. ProTox without Roar can sometimes be a momentum sink, but it still doesn't matter because at the end of the day, to win a game you must faint all six of the opposing team. And this guy just does not die. ProTox with Refresh can be supported SO easily to beat whatever beats him (Celebi, HP Grass Jirachi, Refresh Milo). The best way to take advantage of him is by Baton Passing boosts, which is still not foolproof because the BP user needs to respect the Roar possibility. CM BP Celebi is obviously the only thing that fears nothing although he must be wary of the Dugtrio threat. Tl;dr I think Swampert is an irreplaceable glue Mon.

WoW Gengar is still the tier's gatekeeper. However, current metagame trends have somehow become better both offensively and defensively against him. Defensively in the sense that SpDef Gengar with WoW / Fire / Grass / filler is sort of weak right now (think of how well prepared teams are for this set), and offensively in the sense that Lum Berry is now bog standard on DD Tar and even pretty popular on Metagross, so clicking WoW against either of them can be a game losing move. However, since Gengar can and will effectively pull off anything you want him to, there is still plenty of room in the current metagame for him to shine. This is why I really like my Taunt / WoW / Destiny Bond set that basically picks and chooses a target. Bring down Blissey to enable your Zapdos, or Claydol to enable your Tyranitar. There are still tons of other great sets to choose from. I still stand by Dynamic Punch + three special, for what it's worth.

Probably the best there is in terms of combining offense with defense. Impish is great, Agility is great, three attacks + Protect is great, mixed is great (although don't even bother clicking Psychic against the Pert. Just Boom it.). The worst thing about Metagross is doubling / tripling down on Dugtrio weaknesses on classic mixed offenses, which almost always have either a Tyranitar, Magneton, or both. The rising popularity of Moltres definitely hurts him, but don't forget he learns Rock Slide and can click it on the switch! Although generally Rock Slide sucks on him.

In my opinion this is the second gatekeeper of ADV, along with WoW Gengar. Teams that can't beat Blissey are basically unviable. You would rather be DD Tar / Aero weak than Blissey weak. But of course she is not without drawbacks. Big time momentum sink, especially with Snorlax's uptick in usage and the ubiquity of Lum Berry on Tar / Metagross. Also my fast Blissey has almost been obsoleted from the metagame unfortunately. It took about two years, but the rest of the 176+ Speed tier has finally outcrept Fire Blast Blissey. It's basically not worth trying to creep Speed anymore unless you go max with Sing, which is admittedly a very cool set.

Current metagame trends that made Skarmory a lot worse happened to make Celebi a lot better. The ubiquity of his Baton Passing sets has made it extremely dangerous to switch in the wrong Mon against him T1. SubSeed is still absurdly tough on physical offense, and traditional Bold or Calm sets can still put in a shift game to game.

A Rank
(Must be prepared for these or you'll pay the consequences)

Still one of the best offensive Mons in the tier who happens to switch in on one of the other best offensive Mons in the tier (Metagross). 300+ Speed is still incredibly valuable with the presence of Moltres, although it's simultaneously less valuable because of the popularity of max Speed DD Tar. But still, most mixed offenses pretty much need a Zapdos just for the revenge kill against Starmie, and one time Gengar switch (though that is even debatable to be honest). Oh yeah I forgot to mention how sad it is that T-Wave Zapdos ruined Jolteon.

Incredible last Mon, good lead with Substitute, solid mid game threat with Offensive sets, Suicune is surprisingly versatile. He still suffers from Skarm + Bliss weakness and Celebi too, but the right set can still beat all three of those at once (Sub + Roar). Worst thing about Suicune is his Speed tier in my opinion. But that doesn't hold him back too much when you consider that if you're slow it means you're strong as hell and when you're fast you can outspeed all the fat base 100s, or even go Timid (though this set kinda sucks, it just gets a great matchup every so often) and revenge kill 270 Zapdos and Salamence.

I'm still not really sold on CurseLax since you basically need to build the whole team around him and then that sort of pigeonholes you into a build that is probably really weak to one of Suicune, Celebi, or Heracross. Not that CurseLax still isn't capable of blowing away teams - it absolutely is. Particularly Skarm Gar teams when the Gengar doesn't have WoW. I think Lax's best set is just good old four attacks. Can't go wrong with that set, just be crisp with your predictions or else you'll do 25% to SpDef Gengar with Fire Blast in exchange for a WoW, and then be literally worse than a Metapod.

All it took for Dugtrio to take a massive jump in viability is for DD Tyranitar to stop using bulk. These two are basically exact opposites in terms of value I think. Not much else to say. Dugtrio is just amazing right now, especially since most teams still are pretty awful at taking advantage of an EQ locked Dug.

I don't think I ever underrated a set more than I did defensive Spin Starmie. Very annoying Mon for both mixed offenses and Skarm Gar alike. And offensive is just enemy number one for physical offense. You already knew that.

CB Mence is very threatening for fat Refresh shit (Milo + Claydol + Dugtrio typically doesn't have a Tyranitar so once you Magneton their Skarmory, nothing switches in safely to CB HP Fly), Mixed Mence is great against opposing physical offense, and DD Mence is the best sweeper at times. DD is so great because it doesn't need to hit a Rock Slide or Meteor Mash the way Tar / Meta do, and it doesn't need two boosts to outspeed everything either. It's also really nice to just slap a Mence on anything and know that you'll always have a blanket Heracross answer.

A- Rank
(Extremely common threats but maybe not as powerful as those listed above)

He just keeps getting worse I think. MagDol is insanely popular. Regular Refresh Claydol is extremely popular. You trade one Spike for 55% of Hydro Pump with offensive Swampert. Bring YoloSkarm and then you take 60% from CB Rock Slide. Granted, he has the tools to handle any one of those particular threats, but it'll always leave you wishing you had something different.

Perpetually starved for more moveslots, Jirachi can either be ranked MUCH higher than this or much lower. AstaRachi can flat out 6-0 some teams just like SuperRachi can 6-0 if it gets some Serene Grace luck. My biggest gripe with the CM sets are that they are frankly weak. Unlike Celebi who actually has a very valuable STAB Grass attack, Jirachi's coverage against his best counters typically doesn't do enough damage. Wish Protect sets struggle when they don't get the Body Slam Para or when they run into a Refresh Water. Best thing about Jirachi is that Blissey is a potential set up target for the right set, in which case you just go +6 +6 and win.

Almost singlehandedly the reason Skarmory isn't a 100% safe pick anymore. Refresh sets blank the right opposing team, while regular three attacks + Spin can be surprisingly dangerous offensively. Pursuit Tar risks expending a ton of bulk to outspeed +Att Claydol, which can flat 6-0 some SkarmMag teams. Very good Mon right now, although don't just carelessly slap a Refresh Dol on anything. Refresh Claydol against a non Spiking team can be utterly useless so be prepared.

B+ Rank
(Strong Pokemon that require some team support)

Suffers from the rise of Claydol and the continued popularity of Wish Protect Jirachi sets. However he's something you need to respect in the builder or else you will pay the consequences. Also is pretty much the single reason teams without Normal / Flying resists are practically unviable.

Still pretty bad in his own right but his presences persuades some people to use the far inferior YoloSkarm set which is sort of valuable on its own haha. Mag + Claydol + fat sweeper is always going to be a strong archetype.

Really excellent offensively but you kind of need Spikes with it or else you're free entry for Blissey. Timid vs. Modest sucks too since the damage output is significant but the >300 Speed tier frankly isn't that valuable. Jolly Heracross sucks ass but Modest Moltres being outsped by it sucks even more ass.

Hating on Flygon is lame. He is really good and has an awesome Speed tier with STAB EQ. Sub + three attacks still his best set (choosing between Fire and HP Bug blows though) and CB EQ + Pursuit Tar + Magneton basically 6-0's BeerLover type builds.

The ubiquity of T-Wave Zapdos and opposing T-Wave Jolteon for that matter has made him much worse. Still has an extremely high ceiling since Spikes + Roar Jolteon has theoretically no counter except for Claydol.

I am probably the biggest Gyarados fan of any ADV main, but admittedly he has some flaws. I think he'll always be a defensive Mon first and foremost, but don't sleep on his offensive capabilities. Really nice stat distribution too, though imagine if he could reach 270 Speed with Adamant.

Really hard to kill but otherwise a momentum sink. Kind of self-explanatory, but Milotic basically keeps random UU Mons out of OU.

"It sucks until you're 6-0'd by it." More or less the reason why Skarmory without Gar will always be the inferior team type. HP Bug is a great STAB move for a Spiker, but dropping one of EQ or Boom always sucks. Probably the worst Mon in ADV to be weak against lol.

B Rank
(Either very good offensively or defensively; niche threats)

Really not that great. Kind of bad defensively, so he's hard to build around. Jolly sucks since sometimes the things you're trying to lure just go max Speed and then you're outsped anyway. Reversal is the best set but also damn near impossible to support properly. Coverage limited, slow, item choice is awkward. Of course all that being said, it just DESTROYS a lot of lame fat Claydol Magneton teams.

Still an awesome Mon offensively but ubiquitous Speed creep has really hurt him, as has Refresh spam, since WoW is no longer as threatening. That being said, Skarm Bliss + non-Refresh Swampert still struggles to pivot him, which alone makes him valuable.

Sleep is still fantastic, and Leech Seed means he can punish all of his switch ins bar Celebi. But Paralysis ruins him and he's not that great switching into things mid-game outside of mono Surf Water types.

You'd think he was really good in a metagame replete with Magneton + Claydol teams, but then you realize his longevity is awful and if you don't actually Boom the Claydol / Starmie or else bring them really low, you still aren't keeping your Spikes. The ideal Cloyster team is probably one that keeps him alive all game, for the ultimate MagDol counter team. But that is easier said than done.

Actually really strong when most Tyranitar have zero bulk. Sucks giving Metagross / Snorlax / Jirachi free entry but at least you can Paralyze the Steels and Explode Snorlax if that's your team's goal.

B- Tier
(Pretty niche threats but can still put in a shift in the right matchup)

Best Knock Off user in the tier, and best wholesale Tyranitar counter for that matter. He also has a free moveslot most of the time, which is really great since you can play with Whirlwind / HP Bug / Counter / Toxic in that slot.

Prototypical Zapdos + Metagross offense counter. Toxic sucks against Refresh Waters but on the other hand you can Explode them since you live their Surf. Offensive Waters take a lot from your EQ on the switch in if you invest in Att. Obviously requires Magneton though.

Pretty solid since the opponent has to guess what he's going to do.

Cool in how hard he counters Suicune. Decently versatile too. Strong Surf too so stuff like Jolteon and Zapdos don't switch in multiple times.

Kind of garbage but he's a ladder favorite and plenty of good players swear by him. Sleep is strong obviously but the difference between his lead Sleep and Venusaur's is that if you miss, you're OHKO'd. Unless they miss too.

Horrible Mon. But he is required on many CM Spams or those unique Heracross / Metagross / Tyranitar builds.

Really good at what he does. Ideal partner for Fighting types that don't want to sacrifice a moveslot on HP Ghost. Also doesn't bring Sandstorm to your CurseLax team, or alternatively frees up your Tyranitar to use a DD set or CB set.

Passively countered by almost everything in A tier and above. But he's very fast and certainly poses the threat of end game sweeping.

Nice defensive profile but it can be walled fairly easily.

Unbelievably good against Offensive Starmie, Gengar, and Claydol. The rare Mon to be able to say that.

Honestly not a meme. He's good. Can Curse + Rest or T-Wave + Rest but either way he's gonna be hard to take down.

C+ Tier
(Very niche threats that require full team support)

Really good but INSANELY fragile. Slow too but the right set can almost win the game for you.

Decently bulky. Kinda slow. Wants Lum Berry but then gets chipped by Sandstorm. Still threatening though.

Can be pretty scary if your Water type is Paralyzed. Not a Mon you want to give a free SD to. The ideal beneficiary of Para spam.

Very similar to Rhydon overall but I'll give Rhydon the slight edge since it gets to use Leftovers, which makes it pretty good against Aero and Salamence.

Doesn't have utility that the other Fighters have (Knock Off for Hariyama, Spore for Breloom), but in exchange can OHKO half of the tier.

Nice Explosion and unique typing still makes him usable.

I think Medicham is probably better than Machamp. Outclassed by Hariyama if bulky, and by Medicham if offensive.

I want him to be better than he is. But truth be told he needs almost two CMs to be truly threatening, and he will never ever get that chance.

Other stuff worth noting:

- Cacturne and Gligar are both decent on Sand Veil teams. I'd probably rather use Cacturne.
- Sceptile and Jumpluff are both decent at SubSeed. Jumpluff has a legit niche in access to fast Encore, which makes it Literally Impossible to Kill for slow boosters.
- Ursaring is I guess okay. Usually when I play it they just trade with me at best.
- If Dragonite has a niche I haven't found it yet. Worth keeping on the radar though.
- Miltank is honestly usable. T-Wave + Body Slam + Milk Drink @ 252 HP / loads of Defense is basically impossible to kill lol.
- Scizor is intriguing as an SD + Salac Berry Sweeper but has bad coverage.
- Slaking can trade 1v1 with anything but has such bad downside it isn't worth it.
- Blaziken is definitely usable but it requires some work. Lead it with Sub + three attacks I think. Can also try straight four attacks. Salac Berry gives it some interesting applications.
- Charizard should be ranked in C+ probably. Threatening Petaya sweeper that poses Sub + Punch threat in the meantime.
- Dodrio is weak but fast and has Baton Pass.
- Ninjask might have a niche as a free +2 Att +2 Speed against EQ locked Dugtrio. All other applications involve full Baton Pass which shall not be discussed here.
- Donphan is interchangeable with Swampert on Mag + Pursuit Tar teams that have additional defense for Metagross. Probably the single best thing against purely physical Tyranitar. Protect / Toxic / EQ / Rapid Spin is a solid set.

I don't want to go through my whole VRs just because that will take too long so here's a bit of a scattered post on my thoughts about the current metagame:

My Top 5:

I can be easily persuaded to change my order on most of the viability rankings but I strongly believe these are the top 5 at the moment and in this order.

In my opinion this is the only pokemon worthy of S rank anymore. It has so many sets it's able to adapt to almost anything the metagame throws at it. Best set right now is probably the bulky physical 4 attacks set. Every team appreciates a nice fat hard hitting physical attacker to bully bliss with and focus punch is always threatening. Also helps offensive teams in checking zapdos which is very important. The mixed set with brick break, ice beam, hp grass and fire blast is also insanely strong, pretty much only getting hard walled by Milotic. DD is always a threat both as a late game cleaner and a mid-game breaker and it has a million other options as well.

This may be a hot take but I strongly believe swampert is the 2nd best pokemon in the tier. Its ability to at least check huge threats like tyranitar, metagross, dd mence, and aerodactyl make it an incredibly valuable asset for almost any team. The addition of its offensive focus punch sets have added a whole new dimension to it as it can now give offensive teams some better backbone against those aforementioned pokemon without sacrificing power and again without milotic you're not really gonna be hard walling this thing. Even celebi is pressured hard by those invested ice beams. Its defensive sets are also still a crucial component to almost any stall are fat balance team although personally I'm a fan of the hybrid pert sets that run the traditional eq/ib/hydro/protect with a more offensive EV spread. With max HP and just a splash of defensive investment it's still a very reliable counter to things like dd tar and metagross while also not giving skarm much room to set up spikes.

Coming up very close behind swampert is metagross. Its combination of wall breaking power, bulk and an excellent defensive typing make it arguably the best midgame presence in the tier. It's both a defensive pillar for offensive archetypes, and an offensive powerhouse in itself capable of breaking down opposing defensive cores. A huge part of its success is its access to explosion which can be used to eliminate an opposing wall or as an emergency button against opposing set up sweepers like curselax and suicune. Best sets imo are Choice band for the immediate power that not even skarm can hold up against and agility which turns it into an excellent late game cleaner, particularly against offense, without sacrificing its ability to put in work in the mid-game should the match-up require it. Mixed sets are also underrated as it turns it into a decent gengar check, and seriously dents swampert with STAB psychic (especially the frailer versions of today's metagame). It's unique as a mixed attacker as even with a light investment, STAB meteor mash still makes blissey think twice about staying in. Bulkier sets with protect in the last slot are also solid options for teams needing a little extra assurance against rock type attackers.

I believed for the longest time that this pokemon was #2 so putting it this low definitely requires an explanation. Gengar's main utility has always been its relationship with spikes. It is an excellent offensive pokemon to have on spikes teams but also has the immense utility of being able to protect spikes by blocking rapid spin. The problem is im finding that utility to be less useful nowadays so I only really consider using gengar on teams where its offensive abilities will shine through. That being said it still is a powerful offensive pokemon. It may not have STAB but this is made up for by excellent coverage backed up by that base 130 spA. There's also its excellent speed, crippling status moves and great disruptive moves like taunt, explosion and destiny bond. It shapes the way people build teams in a way not many other offensive threats can claim.

Similar to metagross in that it's one of the biggest defensive pillars for offensive teams. Zapdos is an insanely strong midgame threat thanks to its good speed tier, solid natural bulk and an out of this world special attack stat. The spikes immunity helps quite a bit too. Despite its poor movepool it has all the tools it needs to put in work. Offensive is the way to go right now in my opinion, Max speed, max spA timid, tbolt/hp grass/toxic and one of twave, roar and protect make it very difficult to counter. Even bissey and celebi are pressured hard by toxic + protect variants but you never know when you'll need roar and twave is also really valuable for crippling things like gengar, jolteon, opposing zapdos, and dd tar. Defensive sets can still put in a lot of work vs opposing stalls but those 3 turns you waste every time you want to heal it are a huge liability.

Spikers in the current metagame:

Wanted to talk briefly about where the "big 3" spikers are right now as I believe it plays a big role in how the rest of the metagame develops

Still the top dog in the spikes game but significantly worse than it was a year ago. It's arguably still true that this is the most centralizing poke in the game but the consequence of that is it puts the whole metagame against it. Claydol is a huge pain for it as it completely blanks toxic protect variants which are its best set otherwise. Swampert, its former favorite perch to set up spikes from is now commonly running sets that outspeed and nearly 2hko it. Things are just difficult for skarm right now but it's still really good at what it does so it will always be a top tier mon.

Cloyster is pretty cool, the fact that it has boom adds a nice dimension to it. If you find yourself unable to keep spikes up with it it's not as big a deal since it can still put in work with a well timed boom on zapdos or starmie. Still, its typing is atrocious and with all the offensive swampert running around its lost one of its main spiking targets.

With gengar not being as prominent as it used to be you'd think forre would be doing well right now but it really suffers from how little it offers outside of the spikes game. With midgame offense being the name of the game right now forretress is a sitting duck that just hands tempo to the opponent's team. Taunt + Drill peck skarm being more common also hurts since it doesn't just infinitely wall it. Tbh id honestly consider using cacturne or smeargle as my spiker before forretress these days.

Overall right now I feel teams that need spikes down to work, like the old jolt aero tss builds, are nearly unviable. They're still a great tool to help enact offense but spikes teams in the current metagame need a midgame offensive presence to help wear down an opponent. Relying on spikes to do so just leaves you way too vulnerable to stuff like Claydol.

Last just wanted to talk about some potentially hot takes

Underrated Pokemon:

I was under the impression this was outclassed by hariyama for a long time but it actually has a niche. with 252 speed it reaches 209 whereas hariyama makes 199, a significantly worse speed tier. Hariyama can cross in to this speed tier if it goes jolly but then it misses out on the ko's on offensive zap and celebi that machamp gets. With the following set, machamp is a solid wall breaker.
Machamp @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
EVs: 220 Atk / 36 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Cross Chop
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Rock Slide
The speed helps it go toe to toe with most metagross, while also getting ahead of most defensive milotic, taunt skarm, and bulkier dd tar variants. It always lives psychic from celebi and ohkos all but the most physically bulky variants at +1 with the rest in attack to max power. This thing goes toe to toe with every pokemon in the standard Ttar/skarm/gengar/pert/bliss stall core which is pretty cool too. Note that due to its natural bulk and Guts, machamp isn't losing to most gengar, a significant niche it has over medicham (also being far less dug weak is notable) Its definitely not a top tier but it's not outclassed by hariyama which has been the narrative for years.

This pokemon has a great match up against my top 3 pokemon which is certainly notable. Offensive sets in particular are quite strong. Invested hydro pumps put in work and hypnosis + spikes or dugtrio can lay the hurt on bliss. Recover means those teams that rely on offensive pressure to deal with offensive waters like suicune and swampert have a really hard time. Also as I mentioned previously it's the single best pokemon to have against both offensive swampert and mixed tyranitar, two otherwise very dangerous pokemon.

Overrated Pokemon:

Celebi is very meh for me right now. It's never gonna be bad obviously but the fact that a lot of water types are moving more and more offensive nowadays takes away from its defensive utility. Ice beams from offensive swampert, milo and cune really sting. It doesn't put a ton of pressure on Zapdos so if you're using celebi as your answer to it, you'll be on the backfoot more often than not. Dug is also a lot more popular these days which hurts it. Offensive Celebi is strong but it suffers a bit from its speed tier being not quite high enough. I just feel whenever I run celebi that I'm either losing too much time recovering with the defensive variants or getting worn down too quickly to do much of note with the offensive variants.

Everyone else seems to be really high on this pokemon right now which is understandable because it's really strong against the right builds but also has some really poor match ups. It's just never doing anything against bliss and doesn't do much defensively so when that match up comes up unless you manage to trick your opponent into throwing their bliss away, it's basically a dead slot. My other big problem with it is once it's chipped a tiny bit dugtrio can RK it which is problematic when you want to be paired with hard hittng physical attackers like tar and metagross. Bulky star has better conditions than it has in the past with protox skarm and forre being less common, but it's still such a reactionary mon. It does very little defensively and absolutely nothing offensively. Even its twaves get blocked by a celebi or a blissey more often than not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)