Pokémon Alola Marowak

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've tried this thing out on Showdown and it's very underwhelming. Even with flame charge it's still way too slow, and it's not very good at taking hits either even if you invest in bulk especially since it has a fair number of weaknesses. I don't know what tier it'll be but it'll certainly be below OU. It might be ok under Trick Room room but then again a lot of things are.
Uh, I don't think you're using it right. It checks some the biggest threats in the tier such as Pheromosa, Genesect, Buzzwole, Kartana, Xurkitree and a lot more, while also specifically halting and countering almost every electric type in the game (take Magnezone for example), all on top of literally hitting harder than almost anything else in the tier. It's actually pretty damn good.

I don't know what tier it'll be but it'll certainly be below OU
That face when it's literally a top 10 mon in OU.

Uh, I don't think you're using it right. It checks some the biggest threats in the tier such as Pheromosa, Genesect, Buzzwole, Kartana, Xurkitree and a lot more, while also specifically halting and countering almost every electric type in the game (take Magnezone for example), all on top of literally hitting harder than almost anything else in the tier. It's actually pretty damn good.

That's pre-bank OU, not the actual OU

Funny how what is essentially changing only two things (typing and ability) can dramatically shoot up viability on a Pokemon. But then again, Clefable needed even less to rise more.

At first I thought this Marowak would only remain up in OU because of how the broken threats were warping the meta, but now I'm starting to think it's here to stay due to how it checks very relevant Pokemon just by existing... unless something like the Mega Altaria effect (AKA 'everything it hates becomes very common') happens.

Something that caught my attention is how Lightning Rod makes it so much better. I mean, Chandelure has the same typing (although with lower bulk, of course) and it never became defensively relevant.

They didn't even change it's ability it always had lightning rod. It really is just the typing as fire/ghost is just an incredible offensive and defensive typing and unlike chandelure which was basically glass Marowak is the exact opposite being a very defensive pokemon. Now couple this with the fact that it got its own physical shadow ball, has probably the best ground move in the game (especially now with Bulu running around) in Bonemerang, and a terrifying flare blitz....this goes to show you that sometimes all a pokemon needs is a change in typing to be better.

chandelure isn't glass, it has better special bulk than marowak and marowak is used primarily to tank specially defensive hits. its all about the electric immunity and access to one of the best items in the game, along with the most powerful physical ghost coverage currently available. stab combo is nice but its not just that- marowak has been handed so many unique things that its almost impossible for it not to make waves

This `mon is surprisingly good in this current metagame.

I need more testing before I can make any major conclusions, but it hits like a truck and threatens switches without being locked to a Choice Item.

SHould you really invest speed into this? Right now I have EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 112 SpD / 132 Spe and I feel like im really missing out on attack as it doesnt really outspeed much of anything

Adament nature btw

124 should carry you past Base 60s like Clefable (as well as slower ones like Chansey), though 132 will assure that you outpace Celesteela
Okay thanks. I think 132 sounds good then.

A-Marowak is amazing. It's great to see it ranked #2 in OU usage and #10 in pokebank OU usage. Especially since a lot of people said it wouldn't be OU. Not sure what they were smoking....

Okay thanks. I think 132 sounds good then.

A-Marowak is amazing. It's great to see it ranked #2 in OU usage and #10 in pokebank OU usage. Especially since a lot of people said it wouldn't be OU. Not sure what they were smoking....
Marowak has been PU tier for about... the last 7 generations.

Game Freak didn't change any stats, and yet... Fire / Ghost is just a very good typing in the current metagame.

Resists Ice / Bug / Fighting (aka: Pheromosa). Resists Electric / Fairy (aka: Tapu Koko). Resists Grass / Fairy aka Tapu Bulu. Resists Steel / Fighting. OHKOs Tapu Lele with Ghost attacks. OHKOs Celesteela with Flare Blitz.

Every Metagame threat's "plan A" is checked by Marowak.

Fair enough, makes sense that it didn't perform well because of what my enemies were using. It's more of a check to top threats than a great standalone Pokemon is what it seems like here.

This mon is putting a lot of work in every match and I end up throwing it onto a lot of teams because its role compression is great. Here's the set I have ended up with:

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Bonemerang
- Ice Beam / Will O Wisp / Rock Slide

Im really enjoying the mixture of power and utility that a specially defensive thick club set is giving me. I know that without leftovers you get chipped down more, but marowak gets so much value for money out of thick club that i cant really pass it up- a 400 attack stat without having to invest a point in it is great. In the last slot I have started using Ice Beam to 2hko landorus-t, who I'm finding switches into Marowak a lot. Will-O-Wisp will cripple it also, but Im appreciating the ability to just chunk it for half its hp at the moment, and if Grassy terrain is up (bulu is a good partner) then Marowak will just beat defensive landorus-t easily.
Having any sort of investment in Special Attack seems like a massive waste. It's strengths are it's Attack and bulk, anything else shouldn't even be considered. I personally like Will O Wisp on my Marowak though, specifically to punish switch-ins before Marowak inevitably switches out himself.

Funny how what is essentially changing only two things (typing and ability) can dramatically shoot up viability on a Pokemon. But then again, Clefable needed even less to rise more.

At first I thought this Marowak would only remain up in OU because of how the broken threats were warping the meta, but now I'm starting to think it's here to stay due to how it checks very relevant Pokemon just by existing... unless something like the Mega Altaria effect (AKA 'everything it hates becomes very common') happens.

Something that caught my attention is how Lightning Rod makes it so much better. I mean, Chandelure has the same typing (although with lower bulk, of course) and it never became defensively relevant.
They didn't even change the abilities, they're the exact same as normal Marowak. Outside the type change, the only other thing Marowak got was new moves in Shadow Bone, Flare Blitz, and Will O Wisp. However, the abilities it always had are better utilized now because of the type change. Lightningrod was severely redundant on normal Marowak because it was already Ground type. Now that it's Ghost/Fire it simply adds another immunity on top of the usual ghost immunities. It's also a factor as to why Gengar was so good for 4 gens straight. Even Rock Head is better here because it has Flare Blitz now to abuse the ability.

The change is actually pretty huge

Just the obvious one Lightning Rod used to be a redundant ability instead of the current "it does something".

Last edited:
Having any sort of investment in Special Attack seems like a massive waste. It's strengths are it's Attack and bulk, anything else shouldn't even be considered. I personally like Will O Wisp on my Marowak though, specifically to punish switch-ins before Marowak inevitably switches out himself.
its an investment of 8 spa i dont think it will make or break the pokemon, but feel free to move it where you want

This is competitively irrelevant, but I'm really happy that the good mons this generation are also the interesting ones. Marowak is sort of the embodiment of that-- a really cool redesign that a lot of people like, which is also really solid in competitive terms. Really happy with how things seem to be shaping up.

Just the fact that this mon gets Rock Head Flare Blitz and doesn't even use it because it has better things to be doing is so telling. What a solid mon.
Now I want to see the carnage numbers Thick Club Flare Blitz would yield if it were a spammable option. The fact that this mon can do better without that is not something I would have expected from this or any mon last gen.

okay I really want to run this thing alongside defog mantine. but how the hell is one expected to get defog on mantine these days? transferring from gen4 all the way up to gen7 seems like quite a lot of work. and can defog even be passed down from mantine through breeding? if not, it would be almost impossible to get perfect IVs on the original gen4, and would just not be worth it at all. I just want to know if it's an attainable goal to have a defog mantine in gen7

okay I really want to run this thing alongside defog mantine. but how the hell is one expected to get defog on mantine these days? transferring from gen4 all the way up to gen7 seems like quite a lot of work. and can defog even be passed down from mantine through breeding? if not, it would be almost impossible to get perfect IVs on the original gen4, and would just not be worth it at all. I just want to know if it's an attainable goal to have a defog mantine in gen7
Well, perfect IVs shouldn't really be a problem, because you could just Hyper Train it once it's in Alola.

Marowak has been PU tier for about... the last 7 generations.

Game Freak didn't change any stats, and yet... Fire / Ghost is just a very good typing in the current metagame.

Resists Ice / Bug / Fighting (aka: Pheromosa). Resists Electric / Fairy (aka: Tapu Koko). Resists Grass / Fairy aka Tapu Bulu. Resists Steel / Fighting. OHKOs Tapu Lele with Ghost attacks. OHKOs Celesteela with Flare Blitz.

Every Metagame threat's "plan A" is checked by Marowak.
Marowak was actually OU in Gen 2, though I wholeheartedly agree with everything else you said. I'm really glad that this mon is a solid OU mon both by usage and viability.

Alolan Marowak be like :pirate::mad: to its pre-release critics.

SHould you really invest speed into this? Right now I have EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 112 SpD / 132 Spe and I feel like im really missing out on attack as it doesnt really outspeed much of anything

Adament nature btw
One thing to consider with Alolan Wak is that every point of attack investment goes further than it would on a normal mon, since that final attack value is doubled (as compared to Life Orb's 1.3* modifier or whatever). So you're going to see a pretty substantial difference between fully invested and uninvested Wak spreads. As a result, I've generally been more inclined to invest at least a fair amount to help with Wak's capacity to
:mad: break shit. :mad:

Just a fun thing that i noticied is that when marowak loses The ground type it become the best eletric Counter in OU, unless EQ electrivire, Shadow ball raikou(This mon got a hate train hype in end of oras, and now you have almost no reason to use it) and MB mega ampharos become a thing

Adament nature btw
Its to outspeed certain Pokemon uninvested in speed such as Tyranitar, Chancey, Clefable and Celesteela. 16 Attack is way too low though, normally I would run 248HP/124Atk/132Spe if I wanted to focus on Marowak's bulk while still hitting very hard. If you don't care about unspeeding anything you can run 252HP/248Atk/8SpD or even 248HP/124Atk/132SpD; though opposing Marowaks will outspeed and OHKO you and will be hit by things like Leech Seed or Toxic from the above mentioned defensive Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)