Pokémon Ampharos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think I've seen anyone use this set, but hey, what the heck.

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Charge Beam
- Dragon Pulse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Rest Talk can work really well on Amphy-Mega, actually. didn't steal this set from Dun nope

It's bulky enough to take hits and then Rest them off, and Sleep Talk to get damage off. 2 moves that are STABS aren't that great, if you have other options go for it.
Believe it or not, I really like this. Charge Beam is a decent way to rack up SpAtt boost. I just think a bit more investment could be used in the defenses. Mega-Amphy can take a hit, but the last thing you want is to take the hits, get unlucky with the sleep talks and have to rest again. However, I'm going to try this out and see how it works

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Modest Nature
- Charge Beam
- Dragon Pulse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Rest Talk can work really well on Amphy-Mega, actually. didn't steal this set from Dun nope

It's bulky enough to take hits and then Rest them off, and Sleep Talk to get damage off. 2 moves that are STABS aren't that great, if you have other options go for it.
I actually have a regular Ampharos set that utilizes Charge Beam, but it is more of a bulky pivot role than this.
Ampharos @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Charge Beam
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast
This set's job is to try to rack up Sp. Atk boosts with Charge Beam and Volt Switch out when things get rough. Since regular Amphy isn't Dragon type, HP Ice is the superior option over Dragon Pulse because it grants perfect coverage (bar Lanturn) and hits harder on those with a 4x weakness to Ice. Focus Blast is extra coverage that is pretty handy against Steel types in particular like Aggron. With a Sp. Atk boost, you have a really strong switch out with Volt Switch and keep momentum with delivering a powerful hit. This set is best with normal Ampharos because the Leftovers is very important for it to survive.

Believe it or not, I really like this. Charge Beam is a decent way to rack up SpAtt boost. I just think a bit more investment could be used in the defenses. Mega-Amphy can take a hit, but the last thing you want is to take the hits, get unlucky with the sleep talks and have to rest again. However, I'm going to try this out and see how it works
Yeah, Bold + 252 HP/ 252 Def / 4 SpA could be run instead if you want serious bulk.

I actually have a regular Ampharos set that utilizes Charge Beam, but it is more of a bulky pivot role than this.
Ampharos @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Charge Beam
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast
This set's job is to try to rack up Sp. Atk boosts with Charge Beam and Volt Switch out when things get rough. Since regular Amphy isn't Dragon type, HP Ice is the superior option over Dragon Pulse because it grants perfect coverage (bar Lanturn) and hits harder on those with a 4x weakness to Ice. Focus Blast is extra coverage that is pretty handy against Steel types in particular like Aggron. With a Sp. Atk boost, you have a really strong switch out with Volt Switch and keep momentum with delivering a powerful hit. This set is best with normal Ampharos because the Leftovers is very important for it to survive.
I'd still go with T-bolt over Volt Switch, though I like the Charge Beam option, and I'd hold Ampharosite just in case, you don't HAVE to Mega-Evolve, but all of your stats being boosted is too good of an option to pass up. I love Ampharos, but especially in UU, he can't take a hit as well as Mega-Amphy.

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Modest Nature
- Charge Beam
- Dragon Pulse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Pretty much the same as the pivot set I use, just with charge beam instead of volt switch. I agree it works well.

That said, I would change the EVs. I use only 44 SpA EVs with modest and dump the rest into SpD. If you're playing in UU, you can use 20 speed EVs (taken from SpD) to outrun all Hippowdons and guarantee the 2hko with dragon pulse, too.

I'd still go with T-bolt over Volt Switch, though I like the Charge Beam option, and I'd hold Ampharosite just in case, you don't HAVE to Mega-Evolve, but all of your stats being boosted is too good of an option to pass up. I love Ampharos, but especially in UU, he can't take a hit as well as Mega-Amphy.
I gave mine Leftovers just because I had another Mega Evolution I wanted to use on my team and Volt Switch because my team lacked a pivot. It's all team preference really.

Yeah, Bold + 252 HP/ 252 Def / 4 SpA could be run instead if you want serious bulk.
Would never use a +def nature on mega Amph. Stick with modest, gives you the most bang for your buck. Also I like SpD investment better than physical because you're mostly going to use Amphy to take electric, water, grass and fire attacks. The only physical attacks he wants to take are flying moves, but even without any physical investment, he can tank those like a champ:

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Ampharos: 113-133 (29.4 - 34.6%) -- 8.4% chance to 3HKO

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I gave mine Leftovers just because I had another Mega Evolution I wanted to use on my team and Volt Switch because my team lacked a pivot. It's all team preference really.
If you want a slow bulky electric type with volt switch, why not try something like lanturn instead?

Makes perfect sense. Innovative way to use Amphy without the Mega! May I ask why not Heal Bell though? It'd be okay to have a temp-cleric, especially in a Volt-Switcher.

Would never use a +def nature on mega Amph. Stick with modest, gives you the most bang for your buck. Also I like SpD investment better than physical because you're mostly going to use Amphy to take electric, water, grass and fire attacks. The only physical attacks he wants to take are flying moves, but even without any physical investment, he can tank those like a champ:

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Ampharos: 113-133 (29.4 - 34.6%) -- 8.4% chance to 3HKO
Please see the multitude of posts previously in the thread, more specifically mine, to see why I would add a defensive nature.

Has anyone considered a Plus/ Minus strategy with Manectric in double battles?

Ampharos (Modest)
Ability: Plus/ Mold Breaker
IV: 252 SpA, 252 HP, 4 Def
Item: Ampharosite
Move Set:
Magnetic Flux (I think this is the move that raises Def+SpD on plus/minus pokemon. If not, forgive me.)
Thunderbolt
Dragon Pulse
Hidden Power (Ice)

Manectric's moves don't really matter, as long as it has Minus. On the first turn, you don't Mega Evolve either, use Magnetic Flux on Ampharos and Thunder Wave fast Pokemon on the other team with Manectric. (Who will have a Focus Sash so she doesn't die immediately.) This will raise the defenses of Ampharos even if Manectric doesn't survive, and then you could Mega Evolve. Any suggestions for this?
Not a bad Idea. I would consider pairing it with Minun, as Helping hand could REALLY help. But the problem is the obvious and crippling weakness to Earthquake, a staple in VGC, and probably in Smog-Doub. I would love to hear if you choose to test it. If you'd like, find me on Showdown, and I'll throw together a couple random teams to battle and we'll see if it.

For everyone else, Here's my new set, I really enjoy it.

Ampharos-Mega @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static/Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave

Modest nature with no investment is still a stellar 402, It's defense sits at a 289
(252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 176 Def Mega Ampharos: 258-306 (67.1 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Dragon Pulse vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Haxorus: 420-494 (139 - 163.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 176 Def Mega Ampharos: 100-118 (26 - 30.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 176 Def Mega Ampharos: 224-264 (58.3 - 68.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Arcanine Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 176 Def Mega Ampharos: 105-124 (27.3 - 32.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO)

and its special defense is raised just enough to take a Gardevoir Moonblast.
(252 SpA Gardevoir Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 76 SpD Mega Ampharos: 260-308 (67.7 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Latias Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 76 SpD Mega Ampharos: 212-252 (55.2 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Hydreigon Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 76 SpD Mega Ampharos: 254-302 (66.1 - 78.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Kingdra Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 76 SpD Mega Ampharos: 320-380 (83.3 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO)

Thunder Wave and Sticky Web support alleviate a lot of Ampharos' problem (mainly and only its speed), allowing it to strike faster and unleash its devastation without fear of retribution.
I team it with Chansey, as the Wish support is MUCH appreciated-- and access to Thunder Wave and Status-Sponge makes it nice, though Toxic is hard to give up.
Porygon 2 and Umbreon tend to be a real problem, so a fighting type like Mienshao, Keldeo or Heracross is needed. Florges, especially with Wish Support, can be next to unstoppable to stop, Metagross can be a good partner as well, especially with Power-up Punch.
Another strange pokemon that seems to work surprisingly well is Masquerain. With Sticky Web, Tailwind, and Stun Spore, it slows down a lot of pokemon, while Intimidate lowers attack. Flying Typing makes it immune to Upcoming Earthquakes, and QuiverDance+Baton Pass can also make it work really well! Despite miserable special attack and abysmal speed, it also tends to draw out Flying Types and Stone Edgers, while makes a successful pass all the more terrifying.
Ideas, suggestions? I'm currently testing this out with decent success.

Makes perfect sense. Innovative way to use Amphy without the Mega! May I ask why not Heal Bell though? It'd be okay to have a temp-cleric, especially in a Volt-Switcher.
Thanks. :) I actually did consider putting Heal Bell on it over Charge Beam or Focus Blast, but my team didn't really need the support so much since it had so many status absorbers already. I have a Heal Bell Ampharos and Mega Ampharos on two other teams though. It's pretty good. It's nice to have a bulky cleric with great offensive power. Here's the Mega that I run with Heal Bell:

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse

Dragon Pulse is a superior option of HP Ice here just because of STAB and coverage that does neutral damage to everything other than Ferrothorn and Whimsicott. Ferro is taken care of with Focus Blast and you'd switch out against Whimsicott anyway since you don't want to be Encored.

I know the weakness to Earthquake is horrible. I recently tested it on Showdown for a bit, and I got EQ'ed a lot. The thing is, Manectric usually lives a hit because of the Focus Sash on her, and I ended up putting Def. on Amphy instead of SpA. She usually lives a hit quite nicely, but I'm thinking of giving Manectric Magnet Rise, and maybe give Amphy an Air Balloon and Mega Evolve Manectric instead, since she outspeeds most EQ'ers (Other than MAYBE max speed Jolly Garchomp) and Intimidate could definitely help. The only issue is that Amphy has much more firepower... And about the Minun, in my opinion, it's a little frail to pull off the job. I'll test both of these and get back to you. c:
This is just under the assumption of the Plus/Minus thing right? Because if you want to use Mega-Amphy in VGC, Jumpluff is an amazing partner, with EQ immunity, Stun Spore (to eliminate Speed problems) Helping Hand, Dazzling Gleam, and Rage Powder. Along with that I'd pair it with Scrafty, and a Heat-Waver. You'll find good synergy in that, but that's another discussion. I don't want to get yelled at by the mod for talking about VGC on this thread again.

May I point something out? Use Focus Blast>HP Ice. Why? You only hit Torterra, Gliscor, Tropius, and Jumpluff harder with HP Ice. The rest of the Ground/Grass/Dragons are hit harder by Dragon Pulse. You also hit all the Steels harder. Stuff like Ferrothorn and Excadrill are scared by Focus Blast and not HP Ice.

Yeah if you're running Dragon Pulse on Mega Ampharos, HP Ice just isn't worth it. Either run Focus Blast, Volt Switch or status moves for the slots that aren't Thunderbolt/Discharge or Dragon Pulse. Electric + Dragon is already amazing coverage only missing Magnezone, Dedenne (...), Whimsicott and Steelix. Running Focus Blast will make Whimsicott the only Pokemon that forces you to switch out. Hidden Power Fire or Fire Punch may be worthwhile. I'll test Quiet Mega Ampharos with Fire Punch to see it's worthwhile. (It's probably not)

I'd try Brick Break to hit Blissey, as with 165 Special Attack, you don't want anything walling you.
I was considering using HP Fire too, but everything was hit harder by Focus Blast. I wasn't thinking of Whimsicott. And I would personally switch against Whimsicott and Dedenne.

The only reason I
I'd try Brick Break to hit Blissey, as with 165 Special Attack, you don't want anything walling you.
I was considering using HP Fire too, but everything was hit harder by Focus Blast. I wasn't thinking of Whimsicott. And I would personally switch against Whimsicott and Dedenne.
keep saying HP ice is because Ice and Lighting is perfect Coverage, bar none.

Yes, but Electric+Dragon+Fire is awesome coverage too. It also allows Ampharos to use Volt Switch in the last slot. And Mamoswine+Magnezone resist BoltBeam, and nothing resists Electric+Fire+Dragon.

Yes, but Electric+Dragon+Fire is awesome coverage too. It also allows Ampharos to use Volt Switch in the last slot. And Mamoswine+Magnezone resist BoltBeam, and nothing resists Electric+Fire+Dragon.
You're correct, I'm just saying WHY I did it, so if you see a post of mine that does that, feel free to edit it accordingly in your own interpretation

0 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Brick Break vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 188-222 (26.3 - 31%) -- 9.3% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 264-312 (36.9 - 43.6%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Running Brick Break to hit Blissey is like running Ember to hit Skarmory. You're betting off either running Focus Blast or just acknowledging that Mega Ampharos can't beat Blissey.

4 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Fire Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Whimsicott: 120-142 (37.1 - 43.9%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
128 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Fire Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Whimsicott: 136-160 (42.1 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Fire Punch doesn't seem to be worth it either. :/ With 4 EV investment, Thunderbolt does 0.3% more damage. It wasn't desperately needed though. Just would have been nice to have that perfect coverage. Electric + Dragon + Fighting is already excellent.

252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Magnezone: 374-440 (108.7 - 127.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Whimsicott: 216-256 (66.8 - 79.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Whimsicott: 170-200 (52.6 - 61.9%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Is it worth running physical mega ampharos base 95 attack seems decent with it's physical movepool
We had a discussion about that on the last page and concluded that it wasn't worthwhile. :/ It's a shame because it was hoping that Fire Punch would have some use on it, but alas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)