Pokémon Ampharos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably because of all the faster dragons running around that can easily kill it and because of other Mega Evolutions, but it's still great in OU.

A few things wall most Talonflame like Heatran, Rotom-W and Tyranitar. You don't need to look to Mega Ampharos for this purpose. Thing is it's really hard to argue for Mega Ampharos when CharX, CharY, Mega Venu and even Mega Manectric exist, not to mention Mega Latias coming. Ampharos is one of the megas that requires more team support than others.

Also edit your posts rather than double posting please.

A few things wall most Talonflame like Heatran, Rotom-W and Tyranitar. You don't need to look to Mega Ampharos for this purpose. Thing is it's really hard to argue for Mega Ampharos when CharX, CharY, Mega Venu and even Mega Manectric exist, not to mention Mega Latias coming. Ampharos is one of the megas that requires more team support than others.

Ok I'm new to posting

We had a discussion about that on the last page and concluded that it wasn't worthwhile. :/ It's a shame because it was hoping that Fire Punch would have some use on it, but alas.
No it was concluded that Brick Break was weak.

0 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 374-442 (52.3 - 61.9%).

Though honestly if you want to beat Blissey you might as well just use Charge Beam and hope you get lucky.

+1 252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 396-466 (55.4 - 65.2%).

No it was concluded that Brick Break was weak.

0 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 374-442 (52.3 - 61.9%).

Though honestly if you want to beat Blissey you might as well just use Charge Beam and hope you get lucky.

+1 252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 396-466 (55.4 - 65.2%).
What? No one said anything about Brick Break. I said physical Ampharos (Fire Punch more specifically) wasn't worth it. So confused by your post.

What? No one said anything about Brick Break. I said physical Ampharos (Fire Punch more specifically) wasn't worth it. So confused by your post.
From the last page:

I'd try Brick Break to hit Blissey, as with 165 Special Attack, you don't want anything walling you.
I was considering using HP Fire too, but everything was hit harder by Focus Blast. I wasn't thinking of Whimsicott. And I would personally switch against Whimsicott and Dedenne.
0 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Brick Break vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 188-222 (26.3 - 31%) -- 9.3% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 264-312 (36.9 - 43.6%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Running Brick Break to hit Blissey is like running Ember to hit Skarmory. You're betting off either running Focus Blast or just acknowledging that Mega Ampharos can't beat Blissey.
Not only was Brick Break mentioned, but you actually "Liked" both of the posts that mentioned it, lol.

From the last page:

Not only was Brick Break mentioned, but you actually "Liked" both of the posts that mentioned it, lol.
Oops lol. Still, he shouldn't have said "no", because both of our posts were right. Fire Punch and Brick Break were both being discussed.

My current team uses mega amph, and yes it does require a good deal of support; however, I do not see that as a bad thing at all. In my opinion, his to tank hits and wear down threats, not steamroll other teams like the above megas. I run a Specially Defensive Ampharos with a wish-supporting teammate, and I have nothing but good things to say about it.

My current team uses mega amph, and yes it does require a good deal of support; however, I do not see that as a bad thing at all. In my opinion, his to tank hits and wear down threats, not steamroll other teams like the above megas. I run a Specially Defensive Ampharos with a wish-supporting teammate, and I have nothing but good things to say about it.
I love Supported Amphy, and use it quite a bit, but the problem tends to be when physical things pop up, when I'm specially defensive, and my speed when I'm physically defensive.
However, you bring up a good point. Most megas are either walls (Aggron, Venusaur) counters (Absol, Bannette) or Sweepers (Pinsir, Charizard) While Amphy is none of those-- it can't sweep a team, it can't take a million hits. It's designed to take on that one thing that would otherwise annihilate your team and whittle it down to a reasonable range. It's a different kind of pressure, and a different kind of battling.

I don't know why Mega A doesn't get all the deserved love. I won so many matches almost just for him (I mean, really, 80% of the times he vaporizes 5 out of 6 enemies).
I'm using this set (which I found on some previous page). Sorry, but right now I don't remember the exact EV spread.

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static/Mold Breaker
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Agility
- Dragon Pulse

EVs go to Spa, Hp, and Spe. The idea is: switch in (even in resisted attacks), set up agility while mega evolving (but depending on the scenario you might want to wait for the next turn to go mega, if you think the adversary has something like Ice Beam), and procede to annihilate. With proper investment and after Agility, it becomes faster than Starmie, which is amazing.
Many people don't expect it to be so fast, and they're caught off guard. Focus Blast is there for Steelix and Excadrill (which by the way are not that common, I never met them), and Mega Kanga, if you want to be absolutely sure (I know it's banned, by I do random Wi Fi battle, so I fight every sh*t you can imagine). The fact that he doesn't get Draco Meteor is actually a pro in this set, because it doesn't need to switch out for the power drop, and lose speed.

The only time this strategy went bad was against a Genesect, which predicted the Mega and used Ice Beam. I survived the hit (because Mega A's bulk makes easy to set up), but got frozen.

Last but not least, he doesn't need much team support. Of course weakining opposing targets makes life easier, especially burning some, but this dude has the numbers to plug holes on his own.

Last edited:
optimized pivot switch in the metagame.

Potential Movesets:
[SET] [Pivot ]
name: Ampharos
move 1: Volt Switch
move 2: Drago Pulse
move 3: Thunderbolt / Focus Blast
move 4: Heal Bell / Thunder Wave / Thunderbolt / Focus Blast (bear w/ me)
ability: Static || Mold Breaker
item: Ampharosite
nature: Modest
evs: 172 HP / 252 SAtk / 84 Spd

Speed EV's outspeed min-speed Scizor. Really the EV spread is a placeholder though.

You should probably change drago pulse to draco meteor or remove heal bell and change it to Dragon pulse :p

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
optimized pivot switch in the metagame.

Potential Movesets:
[SET] [Pivot ]
name: Ampharos
move 1: Volt Switch
move 2: Drago Pulse
move 3: Thunderbolt / Focus Blast
move 4: Heal Bell / Thunder Wave / Thunderbolt / Focus Blast (bear w/ me)
ability: Static || Mold Breaker
item: Ampharosite
nature: Modest
evs: 172 HP / 252 SAtk / 84 Spd

Speed EV's outspeed min-speed Scizor. Really the EV spread is a placeholder though.

You should probably change drago pulse to draco meteor or remove heal bell and change it to Dragon pulse :p
ampharos doesn't get draco meteor since it's not a dragon type until it mega evolves

ampharos doesn't get draco meteor since it's not a dragon type until it mega evolves
Then his entire first post about draco meteor is invalid. Lol
Draco Meteor is the second key move on the set. At 130 base power and backed up by STAB, it is the strongest move in Ampharos' arsenal. Draco Meteor compliments Volt Switch perfectly because you can reset Draco Meteor's drop in power with Volt Switch and it puts the opponent in a precarious position. "Should I stay in and die to the Draco Meteor or face the risk of Ampharos gaining momentum through Volt Switch?"

I've been testing, and I've made a bulky Utility core with Amphabulous that works absolutely brilliantly. In depth:

Amphabulous @ Ampharosite
Calm Nature
248 HP / 64 SpAtk / 196 SpDef
-Thunderbolt
-Dragon Pulse
-Focus Blast
-Volt Switch

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Levitate
Sassy Nature
236 HP / 84 Atk / 168 Def / 20 SpDef
IVs: 0 Spd
-Stealth Rock
-Gyro Ball
-Zen Headbutt
-Toxic

Milotic @ Leftovers
Marvel Scale
Calm Nature
248 HP / 24 Def / 16 SpAtk / 220 SpDef
-Scald
-Ice Beam
-Mirror Coat/Haze
-Recover

This core covers all each other's weaknesses bar Dark/Ghost for Bronzong. The synergy between Ampharos and Bronzong is very strong; they cover most of each other's weaknesses offensively and defensively. Gyro Ball destroys most fairies and ice-types that threaten Ampharos, and Ampharos nails pokemon like Skarmory and Talonflame that wall or threaten Bronzong. Ampharos appreciates Stealth Rock, as his main function here is to whittle down threats to almost nothing rather than provide a strong offensive presence; Bronzong's function is the same. I adore this core, and we aren't even finished.

Milotic isn't the best partner for Bronzong, but she isn't lacking either. Despite not covering all each other's resistances, Milotic's gargantuan special defense more than makes up for it. Bronzong dislikes burns, but Milotic loves them. 50% defense boost makes Milotic an ideal switch-in against Rotom-W, and can retaliate massively with mirror coat. Pure-water types do steel types well, and they do Ampharos even more. Milotic proudly tanks all supereffective special attacks aimed at Ampharos, and can hit unexpectedly hard back. The two do eachother much service.

A cleric is always necessary here, but there's so many than work well here. Pick whatever the hell you like.

My main point here is yes, Mega Ampharos can be a massive asset to your team. Provided it has the proper support.

Edit: Mirror coat is still very good, but a much more reliable option would be haze.

Last edited:
I've been testing, and I've made a bulky Utility core with Amphabulous that works absolutely brilliantly. In depth:

Amphabulous @ Ampharosite
Calm Nature
248 HP / 64 SpAtk / 196 SpDef
-Thunderbolt
-Dragon Pulse
-Focus Blast
-Volt Switch

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Levitate
Sassy Nature
236 HP / 84 Atk / 168 Def / 20 SpDef
IVs: 0 Spd
-Stealth Rock
-Gyro Ball
-Zen Headbutt
-Toxic

Milotic @ Leftovers
Marvel Scale
Calm Nature
248 HP / 24 Def / 16 SpAtk / 220 SpDef
-Scald
-Ice Beam
-Mirror Coat
-Recover

This core covers all each other's weaknesses bar Dark/Ghost for Bronzong. The synergy between Ampharos and Bronzong is very strong; they cover most of each other's weaknesses offensively and defensively. Gyro Ball destroys most fairies and ice-types that threaten Ampharos, and Ampharos nails pokemon like Skarmory and Talonflame that wall or threaten Bronzong. Ampharos appreciates Stealth Rock, as his main function here is to whittle down threats to almost nothing rather than provide a strong offensive presence; Bronzong's function is the same. I adore this core, and we aren't even finished.

Milotic isn't the best partner for Bronzong, but she isn't lacking either. Despite not covering all each other's resistances, Milotic's gargantuan special defense more than makes up for it. Bronzong dislikes burns, but Milotic loves them. 50% defense boost makes Milotic an ideal switch-in against Rotom-W, and can retaliate massively with mirror coat. Pure-water types do steel types well, and they do Ampharos even more. Milotic proudly tanks all supereffective special attacks aimed at Ampharos, and can hit unexpectedly hard back. The two do eachother much service.

A cleric is always necessary here, but there's so many than work well here. Pick whatever the hell you like.

My main point here is yes, Mega Ampharos can be a massive asset to your team. Provided it has the proper support.
Would your cleric be Florges? Massive Wish, resists Dark and takes ghost well, and moonblast hits dragons that would scare amphy anyways

Would your cleric be Florges? Massive Wish, resists Dark and takes ghost well, and moonblast hits dragons that would scare amphy anyways
If you like; I personally use Umbreon out of sheer preference and as an Aegislash check, but that's just my personal liking. Sylveon or Florges work great too, as does Blissey.

Last edited:
If you like; I personally use Umbreon out of sheer preference and as an Aegislash check, but that's just my personal liking. Sylveon or Florges work great too, as does Blissey.
I just use it in UU, where there is no Aegislash, which eliminates Chansey and Blissey. I do prefer Umbreon. I guess it depends on your other two members. Florges has better Wish-Pass, but Umbreon has better bulk and ability.

In my use with Mega Ampharos, he works really well with Skarmory and Vaporeon. These two cover its weaknesses well and Vaporeon can give Ampharos health via wish which can be incredibly helpful.

In my use with Mega Ampharos, he works really well with Skarmory and Vaporeon. These two cover its weaknesses well and Vaporeon can give Ampharos health via wish which can be incredibly helpful.
Pretty much any bulky steel and water types go well with Amph. Scizor and Gyarados, Ferrothorn and Suicune, etc.

While they each do Ampharos well, Skarmory and Vaporeon do not go well together (speaking from experince). Thundurus-I, who is growing in popularity, shreds this core apart

I've been fiddling with Mega Amph for several months in offensive/defensive roles, and found that he's best put to use in a more defensive role than an offensive one, and that he should serve as a bulky pivot switch 99% of the time -- it's simply his best option. I've also concluded that he works best on semi-stall teams. What I've done here is pieced together a Mega Ampharos DSF core that I believe to be the most ideal set for more defensive teams using Mega Amph:

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 216 Def / 252 HP / 40 Spd
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind
- Roost

Ampharos-Mega @ Ampharosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 220 HP / 208 SDef / 80 SAtk
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Volt Switch

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 24 Spd
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower/Knock Off
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

The defensive synergy between these three is nearly flawless, with only one weakness left uncovered in ice. Bar that, this core has little that can muscle its way past it, and even less can stall it out (hooray magic guard)

The two best partners for this core are Eviolite Chansey and Unaware Quag. Ampharos is known for requiring a good amount of support, which Chansey can easily provide. Plus, SkarmBliss + D/S/F? Who can resist?

Add Quag to the mix, and now you have D/S/F + SkarmBlissQuag. Think about that. The best core combo type since FWG, arguably even better, plus the premier stall core of OU used by #1 ladderer Dauude Sandstorm himself? Truly a work of art we have here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)