Anime and Manga: Beware of Spoilers!

To be honest, I kinda cringed at seeing SAO on that list. Not to say it isn't bad, but everyone I know likes it and it seems a bit overrated IMO.

The other ones however seem very interesting and i'll look into those. Thanks Acklow!

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I agree SAO is among the overrated. I thoroughly enjoyed it myself. AoT is in the same vein for me, it's just that it's another one of those "Overhyped" anime.

It's just that I heard about it a lot on my facebook as i'm surrounded by the anime community a lot. I kinda hardened my views on anime to what is just filler anime and what is genuinely a good story.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
idg all the SAO hate. Sure the 2nd arc was kind of silly and bad (probably because it was supposed to be like a mini Arc before Gun Gale), but the first 12 episodes were absolutely fantastic and top notch and redeems the anime a lot. I'd recommend it as a top watch based on the first arc alone.

Below is a comprehensive list of newer shows that you might like based on what you've described your taste to be.

1. Neon Genesis Evangelion

And now the list of substantially not as anywhere near as good shows will begin

1. Katanagatari: This show is really wordy, but if you can handle the slow build every episode will give you some of the best handled feels and action in recent anime. It also has a great soundtrack.
2. The Tatami Galaxy: There is no action to be found here. If you're in the mood for something mellow that stills takes itself seriously, check this out, but keep in mind that it isn't for everyone.
3. C - The Money of Soul and Possibility Control: This is probably more your speed based on what you've listed yourself enjoying. The show had a low budget so the animation isn't very good, but the story and soundtrack more than make up for some of the poor animation.
4. Tiger and Bunny: Also probably the kind of thing you'd be into. I wasn't a very big fan of this show, but it seems like you'd probably like it more than I did.
5. Nichijou: Imagine Lucky Star. Now imagine that Lucky Star was actually funny. Really funny. And well animated. That is this. As a side note, the studio that made K-On also made this show.
6. Hyouge Mono: This show balances comedy and plot extremely well. It never takes itself too seriously, but manages to have some of the most memorable characters and stories I've ever seen in an anime. That being said, it's long (39 episodes long) and moves at a snail's pace. It'll feel more like 100 episodes when you're done with it, but if you watch the 1st episode and find yourself wanting to watch the 2nd, it only gets better from there. Also it's based on Japanese history, and it's actually somewhat accurate.
7. Kaiji: This show had a 1st season from 2007 and a 2nd season from 2011, which is pretty dang strange. It's an action show that focuses on gambling, and it's super intense. If you can get past the art style, you will 100% enjoy this show.
8. Danshi Kokosei no Nichijo OR Daily Lives of High School Boys: It's a comedy show about boys in high school. It is funny. It will entertain you. That's really all there is to this one.
9. Kill La Kill: This show just started up, but it's done by the same EXACT team that made Gurren Lagann. So it's good. You'll like it if fanservice doesn't bother you.

Uhm...I kinda have a MAL also if it could also help. I have heard a lot of what you guys just posted on the comments except for some. I've been around to here a lot of mainstream newer ones like SAO, Kill me Baby!, Nichijou, Upotte!!, etc.

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Cowtao
Having taken a look at your list, I have come to the conclusion that you need to go watch The Tatami Galaxy immediately if not sooner. This is your show. You were born for this. Also check out the Monogatari series. It might be confusing where to start, but you'll figure it out.

I've heard a lot of the Monogatari series. Mostly just...Toothbrushes but besides the point. I'll give those two a watch. Thanks Spacewizard.

Below is a comprehensive list of newer shows that you might like based on what you've described your taste to be.

1. Neon Genesis Evangelion
Shit dude, Eva is older than half the users of this site. Of what has been mentioned, I'll second S;G, Toradora, Raildex, Nichibros, and Monogatari. As for recent stuff I would add going loosely off his MAL: Madoka, Chuunibyou, and Love Lab immediately come to mind, but I'm having a hard time judging what you like.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
idg all the SAO hate. Sure the 2nd arc was kind of silly and bad (probably because it was supposed to be like a mini Arc before Gun Gale), but the first 12 episodes were absolutely fantastic and top notch and redeems the anime a lot. I'd recommend it as a top watch based on the first arc alone.
It's just that the first 3-4 episodes were good and made people get their hopes up but from there the story is poorly executed and filled with unnecesary fanservice with very little plot. Then there's the fact that the characters have no background at all (they're just thrown there), are your typical shonen stereotypes and there are only 3 characters that actually do something, the rest are just plot devices or even worse, fillers (like the girls that appear 1 episode and then disappear) Oh and there's also the fact that the characters get 0 development and most of them (mainly the girls) act in a stupid way. I could criticise many more things but I'll just leave it there. However, I did enjoy the show (or at least the first half) so I wouldn't say it's that bad, I mean it's a good time waster but just that.

Last edited:

Acklow

I contend that C: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control was very poorly done. The concept was great, but the pacing, characters, and length of the series created for a giant trainwreck. I wouldn't waste too much time on this show to be honest.

If you want my rankings on the shows I listed,

Steins;Gate - A must watch for any anime fan. This anime is just too good to pass up. Story is A+ as well as Characters and animation. This and Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood have topped the charts for Anime News Network for the longest time ever.
Zetsuen no Tempest - This is one of the most well written shows I have ever watched. Very very few plotholes and most of the end of the show leaves you with the most satisfying feeling ever. Not too mention the plottwists are top drawer.
Psycho Pass - Made by the guy who did Fate/zero (anime) as well as Puella Madoka Magica. The story is a top-notch detective tale that takes place in the future. The pacing is okay, and begins to speed up towards the end with a decent epilogue. My only qualm is how rushed the last episode felt, but otherwise it was well written and the characters all feel very real.
Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi - A moe anime, but also insanely unique concept and well thought. There are few anime out there that I feel hold the potential this show has. The first season is already over and I don't know if they'll be doing more, but the ending left me wanting to see more of the world around the main character and her interactions. For a post-apocalyptic fantasy it is insanely good compared to your standard stuff.
Hyouka - This is a slice of life anime that is one of the most down-to-earth shows you will ever watch. Made by Kyoto animation (same peeps that did K-On), it is well written, albeit weirdly paced. The show seems slow at times, but that is actually a natural side-effect since it attempts to make everything as real as possible (including many of the "detective" moments).
Suisei no Gargantia - The animation of this show along with the storyline are insanely unique. The plottwists are few, but great enough to weave a heartfelt and rivetting tale. Worth the watch imo.
Welcome to the NHK - An oldie. This anime is well done and tells the tale of a hikikomori (NEET).
To Aru Majutsu No Index - This show is still in the works and has been running for a while. It is your standard shounen (ala Naruto, Fairy Tale, etc), but it doesn't fall into the trap of running side-stories like most mainstream anime. That's why they have A Certain Scientific Railgun (which is sucky so don't watch it please).
Sword Art Online - First half is insanely good. Second half was dumb. Not much else to say. Overall i think it is a good show with a good concept, however they did the second half of the season wrong...
Full Metal Panic - Another oldie. This one should be on Youtube on Funimation's channel. Check it out. Two seasons tell the actual story while the third is sorta non-canon since it exists mainly for humor purposes (very very funny and feels like the Haruhi series).
Toradora - A cute romcom. The story is well done bar the very end which is kinda sloppy. Otherwise highly recommend it.
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo - Another romcom. Unique story, however I feel like this show gives off too many of your standard school-romance vibes so if this isn't your thing, don't watch.

As for the Monogatari series:
-Watch Bakemonogatari first.
-Then Kisemonogatari.
-Nekomonogatari is a movie.
-The Monogatari Series: Second Season is actually running right now, so it isn't complete.

Bakemonogatari is arguably the best out of all three seasons. The Monogatari series is okay, but I kinda dropped it once the 2013 Fall Anime started being released.

Madoka is another one I would add to the list of my top-rated, but the only reason I held off is because some people get put off by mahou shoujo anime. It also has a lot of controversy behind it but w/e. Chuunibyou is also good, but quirky. Idk, I kinda have mixed feelings watching school-romcoms, just because they're so easy to screw up.

Also I would recommend Mawaru Penguidrum (It is my most favorite anime ever), however it's very very very hard to comprehend (it is an abstract show) and also has some very adult/moral subjects that are expressed/discussed/whatever (rape, incest, perversion, immorality, etc.).

Kill la Kill and Coppelion are still in the process of being released so I will hold off on giving them a ranking.

I would like to note that my standard for anime is extremely high. Ask Alice. I don't recommend just any show. I recommend the good ones.

Last edited:
Hyouka just kinda seems a bit off to me. The pacing is just so weird that I kinda dropped it at either episode 4 or 5. I will have to admit, the animation during the "I Believe" moments are just done so beautifully.

I have a knack to just...Randomly drop shows for no reason. Hell I had to force myself to finish Hidamari Sketch. But there has just been really pointless ones that I almost finished but I never got the pace of like Yuru Yuri. Albeit all that it is are just slightly lesbian girls doing extremely cute and er..Other things never really had a pace. It ain't like Nichijou that will just randomly explode with funny, weird, and unpaced content that's just fantastic for a completely bizarre anime. Animes like Yuru Yuri just feel like over propped fanservice to me.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
threads ded so yeah two mangas that are great. ill be linking through kissmanga to appeal the sarenji who hates mangahere

Iris Zero: this manga is amazing and was dead for about a year and a half because of mangaka sickness, BUT ITS BACK. Elevator Music cares about this a lot cause yeah its updating now and im exciting. its like a school life story where kids can see things beyond the norm. there is nothing ridiculous and its a really nice story

nanatsu no taiza: newish standard shouen thtt is done really well. cant really describe it beyond a standard shouen but its quality

So it took me 2 months to do this, finally fucking finished Hitman Reborn. If you're interested in a story that's filler for the majority of the first 60 chapters and then totally escapes itself in its latter half than you might enjoy it. Power reading this over the weekend made me want to murder a puppy.

Finished Steins;Gate and about to complete Kino's Journey (Kino No Tabi).

I've been trying really hard to go on a string of amazing anime. I didn't know that Steins;Gate was #3 on MAL, but after seeing it and the special, it deserves to be there. It's just a poor shame that there isn't any subs for the second special yet. I wanna see Kurisu's reaction to doing her own D-Mails and Time Leaps.

As for Kino's Journey. It's an experience. It's something that's very different but isn't linear by any means. After this..I have no other plans. Maybe i'll take a stab at Toradora.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just started watching Kyoukai no Kanata. As someone who loves K-ON!, Hyouka, Chu2byou, and Free!, yet another KyoAni offering would've been right up my tastes, but I was hesitant because KyoAnim have never traditionally done any real action series very well. They're good at faces and backgrounds, but not at actual scenes.

I was pleasantly surprised; it's not like Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya levels of action, but it wasn't a flop like I was expecting. It might not be a season defining show, but it's yet another solid offering from KyoAni.

Also holy SHIT that ending theme. best song 2013, maybe? it does have to compete with Kin'Iro Mosaic's Rhodanthe* - Jumping! and Free!'s OLD CODEX - Rage On, but goddamn it's a nice song.

Acklow

I contend that Kamisama no inai Nichiyoubi had the best ED:

TV Version:

Full version:

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I much prefer KamiNicihiyoubi's OP (Kitamura Eri - Birth) than the ED. I feel the ED is too slow and doesn't fit the show well enough. It's far too bright and cheerful.

Acklow

Actually I redact my earlier statement:

This op is way better. I forgot this existed while I was making that earlier post.

Second arc would be even more obviously terrible than the first even if it weren't an incredibly forced sequel, but it had some very (unintentionally) amusing moments like the sister getting her heart ripped in half because her brother doesn't want her, but it's okay because she still has her MMO crush; oh wait that's her brother too, or the main villain guy literally drinking Asuna's tears.

Hopefully s2 will be better if they ever get around to making it.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Well fuck Hajime no Ippo was brilliant until it decided to turn into Dragon Ball Boxing at Takamura's Ch'ship match.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)