Data ASB Feedback & Game Issues Thread - Mk III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
Can we make a few updates for Battling 101? Currently the program states that the pupil can do two 2v2s and a 3v3. This is...not a great way to get a sense of how ASB battling actually works. Can we change this to three 3v3s, or maybe two 3v3s and a 4v4 for doubles? Also, currently the program rules use 2 subs. No relevant battles in ASB use two subs anymore, so can we please change it to 3?
Electric Gym and Fighting Gym disagree with your sentiments entirely. Whilst 3 is more common, 2 is easier to learn with.

JJayyFeather

Drifting~
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Actually I'm going to play the middle here.

I think the battles that use rental mons should also include the use of 3 subs, since more often than not the rented Pokemon have strongly usable movepools.
Following from that, the battles that use the pupils actual Pokemon should use 2 subs, since they aren't always going to be that well trained.

As far as formats go: I think one 2v2 and two 3v3s is the way to go. The 2v2 is an ideal setting for learning how to order in doubles without a lot of work going into it, while the 3v3 matches give a good grasp of general singles gameplay.

Frosty

=_=
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Can we make a few updates for Battling 101? Currently the program states that the pupil can do two 2v2s and a 3v3. This is...not a great way to get a sense of how ASB battling actually works. Can we change this to three 3v3s, or maybe two 3v3s and a 4v4 for doubles? Also, currently the program rules use 2 subs. No relevant battles in ASB use two subs anymore, so can we please change it to 3?
Not something to be dealt with here. Take your business with me via VM and PM and I will get to it eventually. thanks.

EDIT: This is valid for every concern regarding mentorship program

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
I know that approval stuff is really all on deadfox081 but I'm posting this here because a discussion about it sounds good:

13:52 Mowtom falls over
13:52 Mowtom One. Claim.
13:52 Mowtom All that time I was doing one claim
13:53 Mowtom I surrender I can't do this again sorry all
13:53 Mowtom Not today at least
13:53 Rainman lol
13:56 Mowtom Seriously though these megaclaims are super draining even if they have no errors
13:56 Mowtom And the longer we wait because we don't want to approve them the larger they get so we want to wait longer
13:56 Mowtom I'm unconvinced this is stable
14:02 silver_lucario42 at some point, there should be a time when you can double post

Something in the prize approval process has gone haywire. People make enormous claims, which makes approvers not want to approve them, which makes the claims grow, ad infinitum. Today I spent almost an hour on one error-filled claim, and if I decided to keep going I can't imagine that the next one would have taken me less than half an hour. That's at least 90 minutes of work for 1 UC. I don't want to do this, and I don't think anyone else does either.

Maybe we should do Silver_Lucario42's idea and let people double, triple, even quadruple post in the pct instead of always editing. Maybe I'm just a weak-willed approver who's complaining about nothing. Maybe there's a better solution that I just don't see at the moment. Regardless, something needs to be done.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My modus operandi is literally: end battle, post prize reward claim and stockpile, mass claim stockpiled stuff later (easy to check)

There was at some point a direction to edit an unapproved claim rather than post again before approvals are ran, but its not something I'm particularly behind. People should feel free to make a new post for subsequent claims if they feel editing an earlier post further would create a post long enough to form a backlog.

Also in response to Mowtom, there is this in the compensation for approvers part of the PCT OP "If a claim is so poorly done that the approver has to make a claim for a user, contact a head approver if you feel you deserve more than 0.5 UC for that claim." So in cases where a claim takes you an hour to approve, contact me and we can work something out

(So very sorry Mowtom about that claim)

I just looked over the PCT because I was under the clear impression that you had to edit your claim into your previous one, and I found this:
If your most recent prize claim has yet to be looked over by an approver and you wish to make a new claim, edit your new claim into the post your most recent claim is in, especially if your new claim is based on prizes in your most recent claim.

So maybe that could be edited out?

EDIT: Also, for clarification, since the majority of those errors were due to the allocation of counters at the end of the battles themselves, is it under the responsibility of the battler to verify the counters?

Last edited:
I'd like to institute a more standardized approach to claiming. Can we edit the rules so that certain elements MUST be present in your claim to make it easier for approving? Things like posting rewards from each battle, final counter tallies for larger claims, etc. When I try to ask people to do this, they usually ignore it. One person, a council member no less, even angrily PMed me saying, "Fuck this, that's your job to do that." Considering that we take several hours of our free time to do this with practically no compensation, I don't think it's unreasonable to request that claimers take the barest minimum of effort to make our jobs a little easier. They don't need to be Toon-level claims. Just provide minor details that take very little time to do but save us a lot of trouble when we're spending 3+ hours on approvals.

Seriously, it helps a ton. Toon's massive claim took me like 10 minutes to check, while other players' much smaller claims took me half an hour or more.

Last edited:
EDIT: Also, for clarification, since the majority of those errors were due to the allocation of counters at the end of the battles themselves, is it under the responsibility of the battler to verify the counters?
and yes btw

@below
Ik I said this in IRC but what's wrong with approvers only approving a few Instead of needing to full clear the queue? Sorry if I sound rude and I'm not an approvers so I may not understand like they do but there are 7 active approvers, if each approved 1-2 claims a day or even every other day wouldn't PCT be more maintained and not crazy? there's like 12 claims rn in PCT, 3 approvers approve 1-2 claims today and the same three or the other 4 active approvers can approve 1-2 tomorrow.

I also understand that you like to self approve yourself cause that's a nice perk to being an approver but why not let another approver approve your claim and keep the cycle going? Heck maybe with approvers claiming 1-2 claims every day or every other day the PCT might be cleared and then you can SA yourself
or just make toon an approver solve life

Last edited:

Toon

NOT A BUNNY!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ik I said this in IRC but what's wrong with approvers only approving a few Instead of needing to full clear the queue? Sorry if I sound rude and I'm not an approvers so I may not understand like they do but there are 7 active approvers, if each approved 1-2 claims a day or even every other day wouldn't PCT be more maintained and not crazy? there's like 12 claims rn in PCT, 3 approvers approve 1-2 claims today and the same three or the other 4 active approvers can approve 1-2 tomorrow.

I also understand that you like to self approve yourself cause that's a nice perk to being an approver but why not let another approver approve your claim and keep the cycle going? Heck maybe with approvers claiming 1-2 claims every day or every other day the PCT might be cleared and then you can SA yourself

Last edited:
I think that the BAP boosts provided by the Abilities Flash Fire and Solar Power should be changed from +2 to +3, for reasons outlined below.

1. This change puts the Abilities in question in line with other Abilities that grant a similar boost in-game, such as Guts or Strong Jaw.
  2. Both Abilities are somewhat mediocre. Flash Fire is pretty situational, as it would only ever realistically trigger through Aurumoth + Illusion shenanigans or during Doubles, Triples, etc., and an enhancement granted only to Fire-type moves is kind of lackluster unless you're fighting something weak to Fire. Solar Power sees more use thanks to the wider range of affected attacks and the existence of Mega Charizard Y and Sun Stone, but it comes with the downside of a HP cost (but that is, admittedly, rendered irrelevant by Sun Stone), which can have some unfortunate side effects, namely the inability to use Endure.

JJayyFeather

Drifting~
01:03:29 <TIBot> Solar Power: If Sunny Day is active, this Pokemon's Sp. Atk is 1.5x; loses 1/8 max HP per turn.
01:03:33 <TIBot> Flash Fire: This Pokemon's Fire attacks do 1.5x damage if hit by one Fire move; Fire immunity.

Supporting the above.

Frosty

=_=
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Don't take this answer by heart, but my 2 cents:

If an arena gives certain pokemon a certain move, it will do that constantly and permanently, except if it is stated that at the begining of the round or action they will get said abilities. This means that since it is an ability all right it can be skill swapped away, but then the arena will simply give he ability back to the rock mon, since it is a constant effect. So in that situation deoxys and archeops would get rock head.

Its the same of a damage reduction in increase effect: everytime the conditions are met (rock mon is attacked, rock mon attacks, rock mon doesn't have ability X) the arena effect happens (rock mon gets boost/defense/ability).

If you choose to accept this ruling, I'd recommend giving a reorder to zarator.

JJayyFeather

Drifting~
I'll accept that Frosty, since it was what I was leaning towards, but wasn't too sure on it myself.
------
Other thing that's bothering me now.

ASB Pickup: This Pokemon has a natural habit of collecting items. Whenever a hold item (its own or an opponents) is thrown away with a move like Fling, or knocked onto the ground with a move like Knock Off, this Pokemon will immediately pick up that item without using an action. It can also grab dropped or naturally occurring hold items in arenas.
In-Game Pickup: Pickup cannot collect items that have been destroyed with Incinerate, eaten with Bug Bite or Pluck, or knocked off with Knock Off. (Source)

Why is this deviation present, when all the other abilities/moves that operate around item restoration don't have the ability to pick up Knocked Off items, both in ASB and in-game?

For reference
ASB Recycle: The user searches for scraps of their consumed or lost item. Recycle returns the user's item to them and restores any uses that have been consumed. Some items cannot be recycled.
In-Game Recycle: Recycle cannot restore items that were transferred to another Pokémon (such as via Thief) or items that were knocked off. (Source)

ASB Harvest: At the end of each round, this Pokemon can recycle or restore a berry that has been used or partially used. If the weather is Sunny Day, the Berry will be fully restored / recycled 100% of the time. If the weather is not Sunny Day, the Berry will be fully restored / recycled 50% of the time. This check occurs immediately after the final action of a round, before any arena effects that might change the weather take effect. If the Berry can be activated again, it will do so on the first action of the next round. If a berry cannot be recycled, Harvest cannot regrow it.
In-Game Harvest: Harvest cannot recover Berries transferred to another Pokémon, Berries destroyed by Incinerate, Berries knocked off with Knock Off, or Berries eaten with Bug Bite or Pluck. (Source)

I'll accept that Frosty, since it was what I was leaning towards, but wasn't too sure on it myself.
------
Other thing that's bothering me now.

ASB Pickup: This Pokemon has a natural habit of collecting items. Whenever a hold item (its own or an opponents) is thrown away with a move like Fling, or knocked onto the ground with a move like Knock Off, this Pokemon will immediately pick up that item without using an action. It can also grab dropped or naturally occurring hold items in arenas.
In-Game Pickup: Pickup cannot collect items that have been destroyed with Incinerate, eaten with Bug Bite or Pluck, or knocked off with Knock Off. (Source)

Why is this deviation present, when all the other abilities/moves that operate around item restoration don't have the ability to pick up Knocked Off items, both in ASB and in-game?

For reference
ASB Recycle: The user searches for scraps of their consumed or lost item. Recycle returns the user's item to them and restores any uses that have been consumed. Some items cannot be recycled.
In-Game Recycle: Recycle cannot restore items that were transferred to another Pokémon (such as via Thief) or items that were knocked off. (Source)

ASB Harvest: At the end of each round, this Pokemon can recycle or restore a berry that has been used or partially used. If the weather is Sunny Day, the Berry will be fully restored / recycled 100% of the time. If the weather is not Sunny Day, the Berry will be fully restored / recycled 50% of the time. This check occurs immediately after the final action of a round, before any arena effects that might change the weather take effect. If the Berry can be activated again, it will do so on the first action of the next round. If a berry cannot be recycled, Harvest cannot regrow it.
In-Game Harvest: Harvest cannot recover Berries transferred to another Pokémon, Berries destroyed by Incinerate, Berries knocked off with Knock Off, or Berries eaten with Bug Bite or Pluck. (Source)
probably because it makes sense that a knocked off item ends up on the ground. and that if it's on the ground, you can pick it up.
Unlike the others, which logically wouldn't take an item from the ground.

also ;_; knock off screws over enough mons let's not screw over more /me wools wormasand

Last edited:
Flash Fire / Solar Power: Put to a vote.
Action-Locking: Put to a discussion.
Rock Smash + Rock Smash: Stopped procrastinating and finally put the discussion up.

ZhengTann

Nargacuga
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I think that the BAP boosts provided by the Abilities Flash Fire and Solar Power should be changed from +2 to +3, for reasons outlined below.
  1. This change puts the Abilities in question in line with other Abilities that grant a similar boost in-game, such as Guts or Strong Jaw.
  2. Both Abilities are somewhat mediocre. Flash Fire is pretty situational, as it would only ever realistically trigger through Aurumoth + Illusion shenanigans or during Doubles, Triples, etc., and an enhancement granted only to Fire-type moves is kind of lackluster unless you're fighting something weak to Fire. Solar Power sees more use thanks to the wider range of affected attacks and the existence of Mega Charizard Y and Sun Stone, but it comes with the downside of a HP cost (but that is, admittedly, rendered irrelevant by Sun Stone), which can have some unfortunate side effects, namely the inability to use Endure.
Let me alter the wording as a biased Rock Gym Leader.
I think that the BAP deductions provided to Rock-types under Sandstorm should be changed from -2 to -3, for reasons outlined below.

1. This change aligns Rock STAB with other mechanics that grant a similar boost in-game, such as the new-fangled Flash Fire and Solar Power.
  2. That part of Rock STAB is somewhat mediocre. Sand, like most weathers, are pretty situational, as it would only ever realistically trigger through Sand Stream, using an arena to set it as a default weather, or during Doubles, Triples, etc., and an enhancement granted only to Rock-type Pokemons is kind of lackluster, especially when you consider that so many types are SE towards Rock. Also, when Assault Vest / Everstone is a direct boost to SpDef Ranks, Rocks under Sand getting a BAP deduction already shows a lack of consistency.

On a more serious note, petition to remove "+1 BAP to SE attacks" from Thunder Stone. It is merely a generic buff that can be done without.

JJayyFeather

Drifting~
Let me alter the wording as a biased Rock Gym Leader.
I think that the BAP deductions provided to Rock-types under Sandstorm should be changed from -2 to -3, for reasons outlined below.

1. This change aligns Rock STAB with other mechanics that grant a similar boost in-game, such as the new-fangled Flash Fire and Solar Power.
  2. That part of Rock STAB is somewhat mediocre. Sand, like most weathers, are pretty situational, as it would only ever realistically trigger through Sand Stream, using an arena to set it as a default weather, or during Doubles, Triples, etc., and an enhancement granted only to Rock-type Pokemons is kind of lackluster, especially when you consider that so many types are SE towards Rock. Also, when Assault Vest / Everstone is a direct boost to SpDef Ranks, Rocks under Sand getting a BAP deduction already shows a lack of consistency.

On a more serious note, petition to remove "+1 BAP to SE attacks" from Thunder Stone. It is merely a generic buff that can be done without.
To Rock STAB: Actually, Rock STAB's relative for that would be more comparable to something like say, Filter, which removes 25% damage from the attack, so I can understand moving this effect to -3

To Thunderstone: Going with "nah" here, at least from me. Actually looking over the item, it's an effect that plays toward Eelektross since Eelektross gets none of the ability based benefits, so I'd be fine letting it be.

nightblitz42

So in the New Data Audit, the move Extrasensory has this description:
Extrasensory said:
The user attacks with a strange force that seems to have been directed from behind the target's head, knocking them down. The surprise of the attack may cause the victim to flinch for an action. Will never flinch a Pokemon with multiple heads or eyes behind its head.
Why? This seems ridiculous. A good fraction of the Pokemon which benefit from this (Hydregion, Girafirig, Baltoy, etc.) already resist the move anyways. Not to mention that the effect really has no precedent from in-game effects or even flavor; ever since FireRed/LeafGreen the move's in-game description has called it an "unseeable" power. If it's unseeable, it shouldn't matter how many eyes a Pokemon has because they can't see it.
upload_2016-11-20_8-43-21.png

No other flinching moves I've found have this kind of clause attached to them. I really don't want to get in an argument with anybody over whether Slowbro's Shellder-tail counts an an extra head, so can we just remove this "multiple heads" thing from Extrasensory?

I apologize to any Koffing/Wheezing users.

So in the New Data Audit, the move Extrasensory has this description:
Why? This seems ridiculous. A good fraction of the Pokemon which benefit from this (Hydregion, Girafirig, Baltoy, etc.) already resist the move anyways. Not to mention that the effect really has no precedent from in-game effects or even flavor; ever since FireRed/LeafGreen the move's in-game description has called it an "unseeable" power. If it's unseeable, it shouldn't matter how many eyes a Pokemon has because they can't see it.
View attachment 73908
No other flinching moves I've found have this kind of clause attached to them. I really don't want to get in an argument with anybody over whether Slowbro's Shellder-tail counts an an extra head, so can we just remove this "multiple heads" thing from Extrasensory?

I apologize to any Koffing/Wheezing users.
Personally, I like all the flavor effects that moves used to have. They add some extra spice to the game, and that's never a bad thing. It's a shame that Deck's effects have been picked off lately, if you ask me.

But, yes, it is all Deck Knight's doing. I don't know why that effect was chosen, but it was and it outlasted the others, so it must be more acceptable than the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)