Ask a simple question, get a simple answer (CAP Edition) - Mark II (READ THE OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the rule on editing submissions? Do I post it again with my edits or change the original and make a post saying I have and give a link if needed?

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Change the original if the changes are major, and you can post a reply detailing the changes after. The rule is a bit hazy, but as long as you are stating you have made significant changes and listing them, you *should* be ok. You shouldn't just make significant changes out of the blue though, they should come naturally out of the discussion of concepts.

LouisCyphre

heralds disaster.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Are we permitted to discuss and comment on concepts in the submission thread; or does that come during the voting step only?

I'm looking to become an active member in the CAP, but I'm a little lost. My question is where should I go to get my foot in the door.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The easy way is to join #cap on synIRC using an irc client. The also-easy way is to read over the process on smogon.com/cap/, to get a feel for the project. Then, read the most current thread, which happens to be concept submissions. If you read the rules first, you should be fine!

Bobtheball4

CAP Playtesting Expert
yeah if you really wanted to join the CAP Project, join the pokemon online smogon server, the #cap IRC, be apart of the CAP forums, and join the shoddy battle, create-a-pokemon server. then you will be a member in no time!:D lol..

I would like to confirm that there is no prerequisite for voting in any of the CAP creation polls besdies the Topic Leader poll. Is this true?

I would like to confirm that there is no prerequisite for voting in any of the CAP creation polls besdies the Topic Leader poll. Is this true?
Sometimes between projects, there are policy threads which can be limited to the policy review committee (PRC). However these are clearly marked.

All 'normal' threads in the course of a CaP project are open to anyone who takes the time to read the opening post and make a thoughtful contribution. Hopefully, you'll soon be one of them.

While I swear there used to be a list, I'm afraid I can't find it.

However you should be able to find most of them with some advanced googling. If you use this link it will search for threads on the smogon forums which talk about concepts.

By using that trick and maybe searching for some different words, you should be able to find the concepts for most of the CaPs.

While I swear there used to be a list, I'm afraid I can't find it.

However you should be able to find most of them with some advanced googling. If you use this link it will search for threads on the smogon forums which talk about concepts.

By using that trick and maybe searching for some different words, you should be able to find the concepts for most of the CaPs.
Thanks, I'll do some advanced Googling.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
There is now! Haha. Hope this helps your research =D!

List of Previous CAP Concepts

CAP2
CAP1

---

CAP11
CAP10
CAP9
CAP8
CAP7
CAP6
CAP5
CAP4

After that, things get a bit sticky. CAPs 1-3 started out with typing threads (as far as I'm aware), so they don't really have "nailed down" concepts. Next time, try using the search function on Smogon. Or even better, go look through the threads! There is a ton of history in CAP; much can be learned from reviewing those more distant topics.

Random Question
I've always been a long time lurker of the CAP Project since Gen4. Everyone has considered questions like "what if X pokemon had Y move?". So has anyone had the idea to essentially re-ramp a old pokemon slightly and release it in the metagame?

There was the EVO project where we attempted to create an evolution of an existing Pokemon, but it failed early on and hasn't been tried since. Other than that we have just made new Pokemon.

There is now! Haha. Hope this helps your research =D!

List of Previous CAP Concepts

CAP2
CAP1

---

CAP11
CAP10
CAP9
CAP8
CAP7
CAP6
CAP5
CAP4

After that, things get a bit sticky. CAPs 1-3 started out with typing threads (as far as I'm aware), so they don't really have "nailed down" concepts. Next time, try using the search function on Smogon. Or even better, go look through the threads! There is a ton of history in CAP; much can be learned from reviewing those more distant topics.
Wow, thanks a whole lot for compiling this.

There was the EVO project where we attempted to create an evolution of an existing Pokemon, but it failed early on and hasn't been tried since. Other than that we have just made new Pokemon.
Awww... Why did it fail? though I can imagine one reason is that the create a new pokemon was less restrictive and allowed better results.
I'd love to see a side CAP Project like the create an evolution or adjust a pokemon like I said above. But thats just me. I am assuming a another/side project running along side CAP would be a pain to implement.

Random Question
I've always been a long time lurker of the CAP Project since Gen4. Everyone has considered questions like "what if X pokemon had Y move?". So has anyone had the idea to essentially re-ramp a old pokemon slightly and release it in the metagame?
Part of the old Mission Statement:

We are NOT interested in adding anything to the in-game Pokémon world. This includes new regions, trainers, villains, gyms, contests, Elite Four members, etc.
We are NOT interested in changing the basic mechanics of Pokémon battling. This includes the type chart, existing moves, stats, damage calculations, move priority, etc.
We are NOT interested in changing existing in-game Pokémon. This includes their typing, movepools, abilities, breeding characteristics, etc.

Part of the old Mission Statement:

We are NOT interested in adding anything to the in-game Pokémon world. This includes new regions, trainers, villains, gyms, contests, Elite Four members, etc.
We are NOT interested in changing the basic mechanics of Pokémon battling. This includes the type chart, existing moves, stats, damage calculations, move priority, etc.
We are NOT interested in changing existing in-game Pokémon. This includes their typing, movepools, abilities, breeding characteristics, etc.
Ahh. fair play.....

So question...?

To the side of all the Topics there is some kind of symbol.

I know only that the mail with the locked symbol means nobody can post there. What do all the other variations of the mail symbol mean?? Help needed

• an arrow means that you have posted in the thread. Hover over it to see how many times.
  • the padlock, as you know, means the thread is locked.
  • an arrow and a padlock means that you posted in the thread, and then it was locked.
  • finally the plain envelope: you haven't posted yet, but the thread's still open. What are you waiting for?

PS - the second column of symbols, the smiling faces and lightbulbs and so on, just tend to be used randomly in this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)