Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (CAP V. 3.0 READ THE OP!)

So I've been wondering a lot really, Why isn't there an lc CAP? i can understand why they're aren't any ubers because we're trying to make balanced, not OP pokemon, and the lower tiers because we're not trying to create crap, but lc is in a league of it's own, so why no lc?

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So I've been wondering a lot really, Why isn't there an lc CAP? i can understand why they're aren't any ubers because we're trying to make balanced, not OP pokemon, and the lower tiers because we're not trying to create crap, but lc is in a league of it's own, so why no lc?
Mainly because LC has an extremely limited player base compared to OU, and we are trying to cater to the maximum number of people in the CAP Project, and as such the loss in participation is not generally thought to be worth the one-off amusement of doing a Little Cup CAP. There is also the fact that CAP's Mission Statement states that we are creating CAPs solely for "Smogon's Standard Metagame", which in this case is OU.

Having said that, not everybody thinks this way, and the idea of creating CAPs for metagames other than OU, including LC, is currently being discussed by the PRC.

Mainly because LC has an extremely limited player base compared to OU, and we are trying to cater to the maximum number of people in the CAP Project, and as such the loss in participation is not generally thought to be worth the one-off amusement of doing a Little Cup CAP. There is also the fact that CAP's Mission Statement states that we are creating CAPs solely for "Smogon's Standard Metagame", which in this case is OU.

Having said that, not everybody thinks this way, and the idea of creating CAPs for metagames other than OU, including LC, is currently being discussed by the PRC.
Thank you

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm hoping there's a simple answer to this question, but I somewhat doubt it, so perhaps consider this as more of a complaint:

Why, after carrying out an instant run-off vote, is another vote carried out afterwards between the top two or so results? Is this not already satisfied by the instant runoff vote?

jc104

Humblest person ever
That does not clarify why at all. If no entry reaches 50% that would merely imply laziness on the part of the voters.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm hoping there's a simple answer to this question, but I somewhat doubt it, so perhaps consider this as more of a complaint:

Why, after carrying out an instant run-off vote, is another vote carried out afterwards between the top two or so results? Is this not already satisfied by the instant runoff vote?
Since you have twice accused me of bias in two consecutive process threads I feel compelled to answer.

The CAP Process dictates that an IRV poll can only be won if one option has a simple majority after the first round, before any options are eliminated. The purpose of IRV in any other case is to cut down on options to make it easier to hold a bold vote, not to find an eventual winner. Multiple Bold Voting is used when there are three or fewer options remaining, as being the most accurate and least confusing voting method, but also being rather time-consuming.

The reason that we have had two options in the final poll, rather than three, for both of the polls of this current CAP4 is because in the final three, there was one definite rank outsider with the top two being within a few votes of one another, and hence it was decided to cut the top options to two on those occasions only.

You are more than welcome to look through the CAP Process Archive for the threads where the voting system is discussed. Please do not accuse us of any such behaviour again - I can understand your complaint but please do understand that the way you expressed it was not helpful, constructive, or kind.

You may want to read this.

EDIT: Ah, I thought it was a joke, but I wasn't sure. No hard feelings.

jc104

Humblest person ever
Apologies BMB. To clarify, I still disagree strongly with the process, but at least i now see that the system is mostly objective and therefore relatively unaffected by bias. A waste of time, yes, but unfair, no.

Also accusing you of bias towards bugs was clearly a joke lol.

Question: How can I get involved in the CAP process in the future? I've been lurking this site since 2005 and I want to get involved in the CAP process.

The answer is simple: contribute in the debates. There's no requirement of time or post count before you can join in. That being said, it's a lot easier said than done. If you've got the nerve to jump in and contribute go ahead, I'll be right umm... urh, behind you.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
Wouldn't CAP4's ability be Weak Armor and No Guard, every pokemon has 2 abilities
No, we decide the second and third abilities in separate polls later. It is set out this way because some abilities work better than others together, so the top two or three most popular abilities from the first poll aren't necessarily optimal.

I want to make a proposal that we hold off on the seondary ability poll until later in the process because of an arguement another neighbor made regarding creating abilities whose synergy may further fufill the CAP4's role, and to fully do that, it would be most beneficial to examine it after having a better idea of stats and movepool.

Is talking to bmb in a pm the best way to do this, or posting in the forum?

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
I want to make a proposal that we hold off on the seondary ability poll until later in the process because of an arguement another neighbor made regarding creating abilities whose synergy may further fufill the CAP4's role, and to fully do that, it would be most beneficial to examine it after having a better idea of stats and movepool.

Is talking to bmb in a pm the best way to do this, or posting in the forum?
It would be far better to do this in PM if you do it at all. There is nowhere to post that sort of thing in the forum.

Nyktos

Custom Loser Title
Is there a particular procedure for how to choose which of a CAP's abilities is the DW ability?

Hi, I'm a newcomer.

First of all, I'll explain my situation I'm not very well versed in the Pokemon metagame (and won't pick up again until a 3ds iteration comes out) but the CAP project seems like a wonderful community exercise and is something I've been enjoying to recap as I run through the archive. My main interest is to enter the art contests to challenge myself to materialize concepts I wouldn't have picked up otherwise.

I hope my questions are not in any way intrusive: Is there a set calendar of events or another resource were I can see the progression of the art side of the CAP? As of now, I can't figure out if there is a set deadline to have a fully realized entry posted, which would be essential, any information that can be given for my better understanding of the process would be appreciated, verily!.

In anticipation, thanks.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
Hi, I'm a newcomer.

First of all, I'll explain my situation I'm not very well versed in the Pokemon metagame (and won't pick up again until a 3ds iteration comes out) but the CAP project seems like a wonderful community exercise and is something I've been enjoying to recap as I run through the archive. My main interest is to enter the art contests to challenge myself to materialize concepts I wouldn't have picked up otherwise.

I hope my questions are not in any way intrusive: Is there a set calendar of events or another resource were I can see the progression of the art side of the CAP? As of now, I can't figure out if there is a set deadline to have a fully realized entry posted, which would be essential, any information that can be given for my better understanding of the process would be appreciated, verily!.

In anticipation, thanks.
First off, welcome to the CAP Project.

To answer your questions, the CAP Project doesn't have set deadlines to any of its stages - each stage runs for as long as is necessary. However, there is a particular order of events, which you can look at here - I'd recommend reading some other CAP articles on that site as well, since they explain quite clearly how the process works. As far as the Art is concerned, it is different in that it runs alongside the competitive stages - it opens at the same time as the Abilities discussion, and closes at the same time as the Stat Spread polls. This gives quite a few weeks for artists to get their work together, get feedback, and make whatever changes are necessary - also, there will be a 48 hour grace period after the close of this CAP's Stat Spread stage for artists to finalise their work and post a final submission, so I'll post in the thread to remind everyone of that when the time comes.

If you want to post an art concept, feel free; there are no entry requirements, other than the art specifications that are in that thread's OP. Good luck!

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
No. There is no strict deadlines on any of the CaP Discussion/Voting topics. Technically I shouldn't be answering this as it is in the OP... But I'll put it here anyway.

Basically Art Submssions gets put up when the Typing has been decided, and runs until all the Abilities and Stats have been decided (plus a bit). I think I heard Birkal say something yesterday that you should have at least another week or two. BugManiacBob (The current CaP Topic Leader) will also put up a 48 or 24 hour warning in which to finalise and confirm your entry.

You can look back through the previous CaP Art threads if you want a better idea of the timings in which they take place over. Here is where the archives can be found. Might take a little digging to find the correct threads.

EDIT: Ninja'd by BmB....

Are the Gen4 CAP pokes ever going to get dream world abilities? (for flavour reasons or just for another option to perhaps strengthen some of the less used ones?)

Abilities like mold breaker for Colossoil and regenerator for Revenankh would be cool.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
Are the Gen4 CAP pokes ever going to get dream world abilities? (for flavour reasons or just for another option to perhaps strengthen some of the less used ones?)

Abilities like mold breaker for Colossoil and regenerator for Revenankh would be cool.
The present default answer is "no, they won't".

The actual answer is probably closer to "we haven't a clue". The subject of revising the DPP CAPs to bring them fully into the fifth generation, as per Dream World Abilities, TMs, Tutor moves, et ceteri, has been brought up in the past and the general consensus was that it was too early to discuss the idea of doing so - the current CAP metagame is unstable and a suitable archive needs to be found for the DPP CAPs before updates can be made. So it is unlikely to happen in the near future, certainly.

If it is done, it is very unlikely that it will be done for competitive reasons, and far more likely that it will be purely on flavour-based grounds.

EDIT: See this thread for more information.

Deleted User 163120

Banned deucer.
So yeah, I've lurked around for a bit, finally signed up to the community, and immediately I've always known I'd want to jump into the CAP project.

A rather simple question, I've seen the Newbies guide detailing the various parts that make up the entire CAP Process. What I would like to know is, roughly, how long does it take to 'finish' a project. Ambiguous question perhaps, but I was thinking from the first point (Electing a leader), to playtesting for instance?

I know it runs parallels with Amarquez's question above, but I was asking in general as opposed to the art side. Cheers in advance for the answer.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
So yeah, I've lurked around for a bit, finally signed up to the community, and immediately I've always known I'd want to jump into the CAP project.

A rather simple question, I've seen the Newbies guide detailing the various parts that make up the entire CAP Process. What I would like to know is, roughly, how long does it take to 'finish' a project. Ambiguous question perhaps, but I was thinking from the first point (Electing a leader), to playtesting for instance?

I know it runs parallels with Amarquez's question above, but I was asking in general as opposed to the art side. Cheers in advance for the answer.
It really depends. There have been projects that have been four weeks and projects that have been seven weeks. Typically the Topic Leader will want to go at their own pace. For this particular project, at a guess I would estimate another 2-3 weeks to finish.

Why are some CAP BSTs so high, namely the current CAP being pseudo-legendary based on its BST?
Because they are? BST means literally nothing in terms of how strong a Pokemon is. If your question is "why are they strong" then the point of CAP is to test out an idea in a metagame, and as such are designed to make an impact and be, as it were, ecologically successful.

The current CAP ended up having a high BST because of all the different things we wanted from it. We wanted a very high capability of taking physical hits, a high capability of sweeping on the physical side, and a high capability of sweep on the special side. Ergo, we ended up with a high BST because that was what was necessary to achieve what people wanted.

The low Speed also played a part, as low Speed plus high offensive stats tends to drive up the BST, as far as the BSR is concerned - though this was somewhat mitigated by the high HP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)