Ask a Simple Question; Get a Simple Answer & General Resources (OU Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In general,mis it better to go with a hasty or naive genesect for reveng killing? I keep weighing the pros and cons but i cant seem to decide... Theres the techniloom punch and outrage and whatnot, but then theres ice moves and draco meteor to resist.
When it comes down to generally minor differences like that, I tend to chose based on what the needs of my team are and what my playstyle is like. I don't think either is generally better than the other in this case. Basically, think whether you need Genesect to switch into resisted special attacks more or resisted dragon attacks more, or whether you're worried about revenge killing Brelooms or not. This choice comes down to your team. For instance if your team risks getting swept by physical dragons when Genesect is unable to switch in, then you might want to go with Naive. But if you're weaker on the special side, you might want hasty. Or you might just want to play and see what you end up switching into more and then make the decision. It's not likely to be a game changer most of the time anyway, so you can afford to have it sub-optimal for a few games until you figure it out.

Just received a second hand US copy of Leaf Green I ordered; and when I boot the game up it comes up with: 'the previous save file will be loaded'. This doesn't happen on my PAL fire red cartridge. Is this normal?

haunter

Banned deucer.
I think it just means that the previous owner didn't save the game properly the last time he used the cartridge. Did you try saving your own game?

I have done Up+B+Select and cleared the data. Then it boots into the new game screen without any message. After saving, I can continue no problem from exactly where I left off - admittedly still soft resetting for a starter - but before the Continue/New Game screen comes up the message appears. Don't want to put hours into this cartridge if it's gonna wipe my save... After some research I have discovered I have a fake cartridge - there is no foil on the sticker. Seems to play fine, but I guess I should request a refund.

Is there a good check to Hurricane aside from Heatran that can also take fire hits? Bronzong with heatproof is an alternative I suppose, but that only means it takes normal damage.

Is there a good check to Hurricane aside from Heatran that can also take fire hits? Bronzong with heatproof is an alternative I suppose, but that only means it takes normal damage.
Rotom-W is the main one that comes to mind. Potentially Tyranitar, but Hurricane's main user is Tornadus-T, and Hurricane is mainly paired with Fire-type moves on Volcarona, and Tyranitar can't usually fight either one.

You really can't just "check" Hurricane in a vacuum; you can have a switch-in to it, but the ability to check the user is dependent on what the user is. So do you have a specific user in mind?

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Jirachi, Blissey and Tyranitar, however Superpower is a lot more common (and a lot better imo) so you need to look out for this.

You really can't just "check" Hurricane in a vacuum; you can have a switch-in to it, but the ability to check the user is dependent on what the user is. So do you have a specific user in mind?
You're right, it's mainly Tornadus-T in rain that I'm looking out for.
The scenario is that I'm looking to replace Heatran on a hail team, since having Abomasnow, Kyurem AND Heatran share a fighting weakness sucks.

Obviously, Heatran's main role is to check Dragons and Tornadus-T in rain, since no one else in my team can do it.

I suppose a bulky Rotom-W can do the job, with Will-o-Wisp as a pseudo dragon check.

After the General Suspect thread kind of exploded, will we ever get another chance to discuss suspects in general, or is that stuff going to be done more quietly from now on?
Hoping someone can answer this.

@TooWycked

The General Suspect thread is supposed to be opening again (though any time discussion thread like this is locked there's a chance it might not open again).

But even if it doesn't, there will be more in the future I'm sure. Smogon isn't likely to cut off user input on these decisions simply as a matter of conscience more than anything else. However it might be a while since usually suspect discussions don't happen more than once every couple months.

So no, it probably won't be done more quietly. This is something that Smogon has dealt with many, many times in the past and one derailed debate isn't going to change that.

Ah, thanks. I really enjoyed seeing all the senior Smogon members voicing their opinions on this stuff in a readily accessible thread.

If Slakoth was given Skill Swap in an event by Nintendo (although it's unlikely), would it have a metagame-changing effect like with Shadow Tag Chandelure?

If Slakoth was given Skill Swap in an event by Nintendo (although it's unlikely), would it have a metagame-changing effect like with Shadow Tag Chandelure?
This isn't really a thread for speculation or theorymonning. It would probably change the metagame, but for a further discussion you should take your question elsewhere

This isn't really a thread for speculation or theorymonning. It would probably change the metagame, but for a further discussion you should take your question elsewhere
Oops! Sorry! Wrong thread/area...

I couldn't really find another area to post this theorymonning stuff... is there another thread where I can ask it?

Don't think this was already asked:

Why use Soul Dew Latias over Latios? (in Ubers for example). Due to the difference in bulk? I though both could use soul dew.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Don't think this was already asked:

Why use Soul Dew Latias over Latios? (in Ubers for example). Due to the difference in bulk? I though both could use soul dew.
Yes, definitely the bulk. Both become monsters with Soul Dew, but Latias 'outclasses' her brother in Ubers due to her extreme special bulk, and ability to handle Kyogre, the tiers most common and threatening pokemon, and even set up on it. Latios hits like a sonic jet with Soul Dew, but in Uber standards it is neither fast nor bulky enough to be as popular as Latias. Make no mistake, however, as both are extremely dangerous pokemon and should not be taken lightly.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Latios hits like a sonic jet with Soul Dew, but in Uber standards it is neither fast nor bulky enough to be as popular as Latias.
Latios is actually one of the fastest pokemon that are used in Ubers and with sould dew it is also ridiculously bulky.
However i almost never play ubers and so i am not really an expert.

Soul Dew Latias handles Specs Kyogre. That's plenty reason enough. Also, you should post your Ubers question in their SQSA, not the OU one. Thanks.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Oops! Sorry! Wrong thread/area...

I couldn't really find another area to post this theorymonning stuff... is there another thread where I can ask it?
nah, theorymonning doesn't have a place on smogon forums. You could go on irc, which is much more relaxed, to pose silly questions like this.

or you could check out CAP if you're big on theorymon, but actually READ THE RULES PLEASE because this question won't be accepted there either

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
I have done Up+B+Select and cleared the data. Then it boots into the new game screen without any message. After saving, I can continue no problem from exactly where I left off - admittedly still soft resetting for a starter - but before the Continue/New Game screen comes up the message appears. Don't want to put hours into this cartridge if it's gonna wipe my save... After some research I have discovered I have a fake cartridge - there is no foil on the sticker. Seems to play fine, but I guess I should request a refund.
I'd get a return on your unit if I could. There is code in the GBA games to detect if it is a counterfeit cart, and the save functions will likely not work correctly, if at all.

Not to mention, if you're going to go through the trouble of buying a copy of LeafGreen, if it was sold as a legit cart it better be a legit cart.

Dark Fallen Angel

FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!
I have a friend that has a sun team with these pokémon: Ninetales (obviously), Chandelure, Darmanitan, Charizard, Hitmonchan and Shedinja. According to him, Hitmonchan is the spinner, Shedinja is the "shield" (in other words, the defensive pivot of the team), and the rest are the sweepers.

I can't convince him that this team is awful. It's horribly weak to Stealth Rock, Rain, Sandstorm, all of wich can tear apart through it's team. My friend claims to have won many battles with this team, wich I doubt that is true. I spoke to him to take out Shedinja, Hitmonchan and 2 of his Fire-type Pokémon and instead use a better spinner, better Pokémon to serve as a defensive pivot, and at least one Chlorophyll sweeper.

Even after I won against him, it still don't appears to be convinced. How can I convince him that his team just sucks? Especially in this metagame, where rain is dominant.

I have a friend that has a sun team with these pokémon: Ninetales (obviously), Chandelure, Darmanitan, Charizard, Hitmonchan and Shedinja. According to him, Hitmonchan is the spinner, Shedinja is the "shield" (in other words, the defensive pivot of the team), and the rest are the sweepers.

I can't convince him that this team is awful. It's horribly weak to Stealth Rock, Rain, Sandstorm, all of wich can tear apart through it's team. My friend claims to have won many battles with this team, wich I doubt that is true. I spoke to him to take out Shedinja, Hitmonchan and 2 of his Fire-type Pokémon and instead use a better spinner, better Pokémon to serve as a defensive pivot, and at least one Chlorophyll sweeper.

Even after I won against him, it still don't appears to be convinced. How can I convince him that his team just sucks? Especially in this metagame, where rain is dominant.
Give him pointers from your match, or watch games he plays with it and point out stuff from there that he could do with different Pokemon.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Don't bother. You tried telling him, you gave him advice, if he ignores it then its his problem. It sounds harsh but honestly, there is no "magic phrase" that will get your friend to change his team. He clearly likes his team, claims he has a number of wins with it, and honestly, if hes happy, just let him be happy. You gave him advice, its up to him to take it on board. Ignorance is Bliss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)