Ask a Simple Question; Get a Simple Answer & General Resources (OU Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyktos

Custom Loser Title
edit: IIRC Jimboon I think Tentacruel is hit harder by Close Combat than by Crunch. 120*1.5=180 180*.75 = 135 base power while Crunch is just 80 Base power
Why are you multiplying by three quarters instead of one half? Not that it matters, as 90 is still more than 80. (And besides that, ExtremeSpeed is already an 80 BP neutral move for Tentracruel, so Crunch wouldn't matter there even if CC were weaker.)

Just to add on, while Raikou loves the coverage from Aura Sphere, it's usually not worth it unless you're using a Scarf set. With a Rash nature, Raikou loses out on the ability to outspeed a plethora of important threats, including (but not limited to) the Incarnate genies, Thundurus-T, Infernape, the musketeer trio, Keldeo, Gengar, Lati@s, +1 Scrafty, and Modest Scarftoed.
Another problem with Rash nature is that Raikou loses out his Special bulk...

Just to add on, while Raikou loves the coverage from Aura Sphere, it's usually not worth it unless you're using a Scarf set. With a Rash nature, Raikou loses out on the ability to outspeed a plethora of important threats, including (but not limited to) the Incarnate genies, Thundurus-T, Infernape, the musketeer trio, Keldeo, Gengar, Lati@s, +1 Scrafty, and Modest Scarftoed.
Another problem with Rash nature is that Raikou loses out his Special bulk...
Wait wait wait, hold on a second here. Having USED a Rash Raikou with Aura Sphere and Weather ball I can say that there IS good reason to use it on some sets. It's a pretty damn good wallbreaker and late game sweeper on Rain teams (about the only thing it can't break through are the pink blobs). You trade speed and bulk for power and coverage; it's a pretty fair trade and can pay dividends if used properly. However, to get the most of it you do have to kind of go the whole nine yards. What works for timid Raikou will NOT work for Rash Raikou; think of them almost as different forms of the same Pokemon like Tornadus-T or something.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
If you want to post a new thread somewhere (say, Orange Islands), do you have to ask a mod for permission first? I've seen lots of opening posts having the first line being (approved by [moderator name]), so thought I'd ask before posting.

I take it non-serious but still competitively related threads go in the OI section?

If you want to post a new thread somewhere (say, Orange Islands), do you have to ask a mod for permission first? I've seen lots of opening posts having the first line being (approved by [moderator name]), so thought I'd ask before posting.

I take it non-serious but still competitively related threads go in the OI section?
OI is for non-competitive but serious threads such as the Battle Subway thread. It's often smart to ask for permission just in case your thread doesn't fit the criteria of the forum. If you are absolutely positive it's appropriate, you can post without written permission

Okay, then, will any moderator do, or are there some moderators who are "reserved" for replying to such questions?
OI rules said:
Everything else is probably fine here! Rules are for losers, anyway. If you have any questions about what belongs in this forum and what doesn't, then please contact Birkal, Jellicent, Fatecrashers, Stellar, or Solace through PM or VM. We'd be glad to help with any questions! Have fun.

Why does Choice Scarf Mamoswine use Superpower if Fighting is redundant with Ground? Should Terrakion use Earthquake?
Well because Mamoswine doesn't have a lot of other moves to use in it's final slot, and Superpower hits certain things harder than EQ. For instance, dark types are hit harder by Superpower, and some Pokemon that resist Ice have levitate such as Rotom-W and Bronzong. It's more powerful and more reliable that Stone Edge as well.

As for Terrakion, not usually. Terrakion doesn't need the extra coverage for much of anything, and being locked into EQ kind of sucks since its so easily exploitable. Rock Slide is generally a more common option in the final slot simply for more reliable hits over Stone Edge when you don't need as much power. Either way though you won't be using either move much, so it matters very little either way.

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Once Unburden is activated, and then I switch the pokemon X out. Will pokemon X have its speed increased the next time it comes in? or does switching get rid of the Unburden boost, like most stat boosts?

Is there any point in using Blizzard on Mamoswine? Maybe in place of Suerpower on the Scarf set? In gen4 is was on the analysis, but for some reason the current one doesn't have it.

Well, in the last generation Mamoswine's strongest reliable physical STAB move was Ice Fang, so Blizzard was quite a jump in power. Besides, the only weather to compete with was Sand, so getting up Hail was a little bit easier.
Not that Blizzard is a bad idea, when you use a Hail team. It still gets a honorable mention in Other Options and can help you to plow through Skarmory.

I'd rather want to use mixed Mamoswines with a Life Orb and a naughty/naive nature. When SR are up, physically defensive Skarmory can be 2HKOed by Blizzard and the cookie cutter spread, otherwise 40 EVs in SAtk guarantee a 2HKO.

Someone on here just said it's possible to EV train a Level 100 in BW. Is this true? Finally that event Arceus can be put to good use.
Yes. EVs have always been gained when a Pokémon gets Experience points and Pokémon have always received Experience points at level 100. The problem was that before BW, a Pokémon needed to level up to gain stats from EVs, but now stats can be raised or lowered from changes in EVs as soon as the change happens. So now a level 100 can fight like any other Pokémon to gain EVs

Why is the combination of Drizzle and Swift Swim banned, but not Drought and Chlorophyll or Sand Stream and Sand Rush when they have the same effect?

Why is the combination of Drizzle and Swift Swim banned, but not Drought and Chlorophyll or Sand Stream and Sand Rush when they have the same effect?
Rain is considered to be the best weather because it cripples Pokémon that rely on Sunny Day, it activates abilities such as Swift Swim, and the big one: It boosts the STAB of Water-types which are commonly the Pokémon with Swift Swim. But simply put, Drizzle and Swift Swim was proven to be too good for standard play, while neither of the other combinations are broken. Sand Stream and Sand Rush was excellent with Excadrill, but after Excadrill was banned, the only 2 Sand Rush users are Sandslash and Stoutland, neither of which are nearly as good as Excadrill

Well, in the last generation Mamoswine's strongest reliable physical STAB move was Ice Fang, so Blizzard was quite a jump in power. Besides, the only weather to compete with was Sand, so getting up Hail was a little bit easier.
Not that Blizzard is a bad idea, when you use a Hail team. It still gets a honorable mention in Other Options and can help you to plow through Skarmory.

I'd rather want to use mixed Mamoswines with a Life Orb and a naughty/naive nature. When SR are up, physically defensive Skarmory can be 2HKOed by Blizzard and the cookie cutter spread, otherwise 40 EVs in SAtk guarantee a 2HKO.
So I should run 216Atk/40SpA/252Spe, Naughty? Also, is a Scarf set with Icicle Crash/Blizzard/Earthquake/Stone Edge viable?

Is Mamoswine "more" Ice or Ground? I think it looks likea n Ice-type because it's a mammoth, unlike Weavile who looks more like a Dark-type to me.

So I should run 216Atk/40SpA/252Spe, Naughty? Also, is a Scarf set with Icicle Crash/Blizzard/Earthquake/Stone Edge viable?

Is Mamoswine "more" Ice or Ground? I think it looks likea n Ice-type because it's a mammoth, unlike Weavile who looks more like a Dark-type to me.
Errr I'm sorry but I don't see how the second question is even slightly relevant to competitive battling. With that in mind, I'll just address the first one.

I'd say no. Just flat out don't run Blizzard on Mamoswine, ESPECIALLY not on a Scarf set where you can't switch moves. Stick to physical options. There is hardly any reason at all to run Blizzard when you have Icicle Crash. Running it JUST for Skarmory is not worth it when other moves could cover more Pokemon in that slot. Besides, what business does a Scarfer have taking on Skarmory? I don't think you'll be OHKOing it any time soon as a surprise or anything so I just don't see the point. Run Stone Edge or Ice Shard (enough shit outspeeds you with a scarf to make it worth it) or something instead.

And if you're not using hail support, don't even THINK about using Blizzard instead. 70% accuracy on an already extremely situational coverage move is just bad. Really bad.

Should Superpower be used as in the last slot on the Scraf set, despite Fighting beeing redundant with Ground?
Yes since it is not completely redundant. Superpower will give you coverage against Chansey and allow you to hit Rotom-W hard, as well as a few others I can't think of off the top of my head. It's better than blizzard in any case.

Fisrt, there is no reason to run two Ice moves in one set, unless one is Ice Shard. As I said, when Mamoswine run mixed sets I generally prefer Life Orbs. When using a Scarf, Mons tend to loose too much power due the split.
Fortunately (for you) Mamoswine still can pull of a 2HKO agains Ferrothorn with Superpower. Though you really shouldn't do it, here is an expample.

Mamoswine @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Snow Cloak
EVs: 116 Atk / 140 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- Blizzard
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Note, that while this one beats Skarmory without a Life Orb, you loose two crucial OHKOs: Virizion can only be OHKOed by Icicle Crash while for max HP Jirachi Mamoswine needs more EVs in Atk. Both are faster than Mamoswine normally; figures, who are more common targets for a Choice Scarfer. Virizion and Jirachi, or Skarmory?

Rain is considered to be the best weather because it cripples Pokémon that rely on Sunny Day, it activates abilities such as Swift Swim, and the big one: It boosts the STAB of Water-types which are commonly the Pokémon with Swift Swim. But simply put, Drizzle and Swift Swim was proven to be too good for standard play, while neither of the other combinations are broken. Sand Stream and Sand Rush was excellent with Excadrill, but after Excadrill was banned, the only 2 Sand Rush users are Sandslash and Stoutland, neither of which are nearly as good as Excadrill

tl;dr, Most swift swimmers have STAB Water attacks to use in the rain. Chlorophyll users don't have STAB on their Fire attacks.

Have the new arrivals from BW2 been tiered yet? I've been without Internet for the last month so I haven't had a chance to follow recent events.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)