Ask a Simple Question; Get a Simple Answer & General Resources (OU Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
RNG? whats that? I'm totally oblivious to pokemon training. I just learned about EV's and slowly grasping the concept of IV's.
RNG stands for "Random Number Generator". In the context it's used here, it means the process by which Pokemon are either bred or captured with ideal IVs, shinines, gender, ability, ETC by abusing the psuedo-number generator used by the Pokemon games.

So when someone talks about "RNGing" they're talking about obtaining perfect Pokemon in game by abusing the way the RNG in Pokemon works.

Basically, stuff that happens in the Pokemon games are never truly random because the number generator the game uses to determine random events doesn't generate completely random numbers; instead it, produces them using a very complex formula and process that starts with a number that is the "seed" for a game. This seed is set by the date and time of the DS (or in Emerald, the time set on the in game clock) when the game is is started. Using the fact that these seeds can be determined by recording the time at which your game is turned on, a program called RNG reporter has been developed that lets you figure out times at which to start your game that will cause you to encounter so called "perfect" Pokemon.

While much of the process is simplified by RNG reporter it's still a pretty complicated process. I won't get into it fully here, but if you're really interested this set of articles explains more on the process. If you're using a simulator knowledge of this process is pretty much completely irrelevant, but if you're looking to battle in Wi-Fi RNGing your Pokemon can give you a very important edge over your opponents.

I'm planning in using a SubToxic Heatran with Protect and Lava Plume, however, I'm having a hard time with the EVs set. Should I go all the way with 252 HP and ... max Spd? Idk, I'm really bad at EVs haha.

Is Mamoswine bulky? 110 Base HP is pretty good, isn't it?
Mamoswine is generally better off just focusing on its main role of taking out Dragons and investing in its base 130 Attack. Its HP is pretty good, but its Defense is mediocre, and its Special Defense is rather poor. On top of that, although Ground is defensively pretty good, Ice is simply a terrible defensive typing. Thick Fat helps some, but not enough to make defensive Mamoswine anywhere near viable.

I hope this is the right place to be asking this. it was either here or in the Wifi Simple Questions bit. Despite searching, I haven't found a straight answer so far.

I just wondered whether it is deemed acceptable to duplicate held items within your team over wifi.

I've played people who have had all 6 Pokemon holding Leftovers. When I asked him whether that was acceptable, he said that within Smogon based tiers it's acceptable. However, the next guy I've battled has complained about me having 2 Leftovers in my own team, saying that it's not allowed.

Could one of the Smogon Officials please confirm either way.

Many thanks.

haunter

Banned deucer.
"Item clause" has never been an official Smogon clause. The "next guy" was just completely wrong. You're free to use the same item on your whole team.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not sure if this is the sort of thing ur supposed to ask here, but I was wondering how one goes about joining a team. Like, is there a forum section devoted to hosting team threads or anything (that's how it is on Pojo) or is it just something you go about on your own?

Not sure if this is the sort of thing ur supposed to ask here, but I was wondering how one goes about joining a team. Like, is there a forum section devoted to hosting team threads or anything (that's how it is on Pojo) or is it just something you go about on your own?
This is as good of a place to ask as it gets. Smogon doesn't officially support clans but they do exist in the world of Social Groups. During certain events, such as the World Cup of Pokémon, teams are created from the best battlers around to compete for the win. I hope that answered your question, I'm not familiar with Pojo

What pokemon would be a good counter to sand and rain teams? Thanks!
There's not too many Pokemon that can "counter" Rain and Sand teams because the two play very differently, and you really shouldn't rely on one Pokemon to take on a whole team whether it be Sand or Rain. Given that current Rain Teams commonly use Pokemon such as Keldeo, Thundurus and Tornadus, you'll probably want to use Special Walls, or Pokemon with generally good typing to help against these common threats. Gastrodon, Amoonguss, Jellicent, Latias, Jirachi, Tentacruel and Kingdra are all Pokemon I have used and found to be somewhat effective against Rain.

Sand on the other hand, is a completely different story. The two weathers operate very differently, as Sand teams are a lot more limited with their options in comparison with Rain, and some Sand teams are made to primarily deal with Rain. Generally if you want to be safe against Sand Teams, you have to take all the common mons used in Sand into account, and find Pokemon that perform well against them. Terrakion, Landorus and Stoutland are all commonly used in Sandstorm teams, so generally physical walls such as Skarmory and Gliscor can cause some problems for Sand Teams.

haunter

Banned deucer.
What pokemon would be a good counter to sand and rain teams? Thanks!
Countering 2 play styles with a single Pokemon is impossible. Sand and rain teams have a variety of sweepers, support Pokemon and walls that can't be countered by a single Pokemon. If you're using a weather-less team then you might want to run things like Gastrodon or Vaporeon (to absorb rain-boosted water moves rather than relying on resistances) and something like SpD Jirachi to counter Torndaus-t and, to an extent, Thundurus-t (that, with permanent rain, would get 100% accurate hurricanes\thunders respectively).

As for sand teams you might want to run things like Skarmory, that can stop common sand sweepers like Landorus. Anyway, specific Pokemon might fix specific weaknesses that your team has. You need to post your whole team in order to get useful team building advices.

I was wondering why Drizzle + Swift Swim has been banned, whilst Drought + Chlorophyll hasn't.
Zacchaeus said:
Rain is considered to be the best weather because it cripples Pokémon that rely on Sunny Day, it activates abilities such as Swift Swim, and the big one: It boosts the STAB of Water-types which are commonly the Pokémon with Swift Swim. But simply put, Drizzle and Swift Swim was proven to be too good for standard play, while neither of the other combinations [Drought + Chlorophyll or Sand Stream + Sand Rush] are broken. Sand Stream and Sand Rush was excellent with Excadrill, but after Excadrill was banned, the only 2 Sand Rush users are Sandslash and Stoutland, neither of which are nearly as good as Excadrill

I was wondering why Drizzle + Swift Swim has been banned, whilst Drought + Chlorophyll hasn't.
Part of the reason is that the abusers of Swift Swim receive an additional STAB on their Water-type moves while in the rain, while Chlorophyll abusers don't receive that for their Grass-STAB in sun. Water is also a better attacking type than Grass. Basically, Swift Swim abusers STAB is much more powerful than a Chlorophyll abusers.

With D+SS, it's that the sweepers get double STAB on their most powerful attacks. With D+C, they only get another pseudo-STAB, making it significantly less potent.

About the DS games:

Can the Therians and Kyurem-forms be used in Wifi, or at least between BW2 players?

I hope Nintendo learned the lesson and not disallow the new forms at least between BW2 games in Wifi, hell troubles with connectivity could be half-prevented about the predictable new forms.

And another question, What happens if sending Keldeo-Resolution to BW1?

Is there a forum or thread that recounts all the reasons people were banned for, I think that would be pretty funny to see? Whenever I see that "banned deucer" line it peaks my curiosity.

Also how do people lose moderator status, because I've seen a lot of (what I assume are veterans) who used to be mods but now aren't. Is it by choice or
Is it a term thing like being a senator.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Is there a forum or thread that recounts all the reasons people were banned for, I think that would be pretty funny to see? Whenever I see that "banned deucer" line it peaks my curiosity.

Also how do people lose moderator status, because I've seen a lot of (what I assume are veterans) who used to be mods but now aren't. Is it by choice or
Is it a term thing like being a senator.
Only mods and above can see infractions, and I don't see that changing any time soon - no good would come of it.

Mods don't have terms, giving it up is usually by choice (tired of doing it, not enough time to devote to the site, etc.).
About the DS games:

Can the Therians and Kyurem-forms be used in Wifi, or at least between BW2 players?

I hope Nintendo learned the lesson and not disallow the new forms at least between BW2 games in Wifi, hell troubles with connectivity could be half-prevented about the predictable new forms.

And another question, What happens if sending Keldeo-Resolution to BW1?
I've heard from many people that the new formes can be used on Wi-Fi, but haven't confirmed it myself.

Since the new form's data doesn't exist in BW1, it would just be in its regular form.

So IV's are inherited.. I have a near perfect ditto 31/31/31/x/31/31 and a near perfect Machop, 31/31/31/17/30/30 would my eggs receive lower stats than 31? or are parent IV's handed down at all times?

Also, what is a good Rain team? I don't care if it's a banned one, I'm only going to use it to battle someone who I personally know :P just to piss'em off.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
So IV's are inherited.. I have a near perfect ditto 31/31/31/x/31/31 and a near perfect Machop, 31/31/31/17/30/30 would my eggs receive lower stats than 31? or are parent IV's handed down at all times?

Also, what is a good Rain team? I don't care if it's a banned one, I'm only going to use it to battle someone who I personally know :P just to piss'em off.
3 IVs come from the parents (either all 3 from one parent, or 2 from one and 1 from the other), the other three are generated randomly.

Politoed, a couple of Swift Swimmers, Ferrothorn, filler is always a good way to go for an easy rain team to piss people off with.

I'm on Pearl version, would that render a rain team less effective? :P and if three are random, should I just catch a near perfect machop instead of breeding it?

Not all IVs are passed down so if you're just randomly breeding, it increases your chances of getting a good IV spread but it won't make it likely to be perfect

Kyogre is a must. Manaphy would come second. I would use Kyogre, Kingdra, Scizor, Manaphy, and whatever else you want. You could use more Swift Swim Pokémon like Kabutops or Ludicolo, Rain Dish Pokémon like Tentacruel or Blastoise, Hydration Pokémon like Vaporen or Lapras, or Dry Skin Pokémon like Parasect Jynx or Toxicroak. You can also consider Politoed as a backup for Drizzle

Edit: Oh 4th generation. Swift Swim is going to be a huge part of your team then

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
Oh right, 4th gen. Unless you can use Kyogre, rain is considerably less powerful, so you may want to consider a different team style.

And catching a Machop means all six IVs are random instead of just three, so it'd take you much longer to get a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)