Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 17

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyways i have question for anybody active. if I kill myself in confusion and my opp uses explosion should the exploder die too?

for example
Salamence hurt itself in confusion.
Salamence Fainted.
Bronzong used explosion!
There is no target.
(Bronzong is still alive here)

So Explosion failed. But is it suppose to fail or should the exploder faint itself?

If you die in confusion, you die right away; not at the end of the turn. Your opponent's explosion attack would fail since it has no tagret.

In double battles, do attacks that hit multiple targets at a go get their power cut down to 75%(am I right about this?) even if there is only 1 target left?

Scenerios
- Only 1 opponent pokemon alive and both your pokemon are alive
- Only 1 opponent pokemon alive and 1 of your pokemon is dead

haunter

Banned deucer.
In double battles, do attacks that hit multiple targets at a go get their power cut down to 75%(am I right about this?) even if there is only 1 target left?

Scenerios
- Only 1 opponent pokemon alive and both your pokemon are alive
- Only 1 opponent pokemon alive and 1 of your pokemon is dead
Yes, you're right about the 75% power. About your question, there are moves which hit only the 2 opponent pokemons (heat wave for example), and others (like surf) which hit both the opponent pokemons and your second pokemon. Now, from what I've understand, the moves have 100% power only when the target is a single pokemon and so, in the case of heat wave, it would have max power in both of the scenarios you presented, while surf would have max power only in the second scenario.

Yes, you're right about the 75% power. About your question, there are moves which hit only the 2 opponent pokemons (heat wave for example), and others (like surf) which hit both the opponent pokemons and your second pokemon. Now, from what I've understand, the moves have 100% power only when the target is a single pokemon and so, in the case of heat wave, it would have max power in both of the scenarios you presented, while surf would have max power only in the second scenario.
I can confirm this.

Moves that multi-target do 75% of the normal damage (but do more damage overall, since 75% + 75% > 100%).

If you use a "Global" attack that hits all Pokemon, the only way for it to do 100% damage is if the Poke using it to have only 1 opponent (no teammate, even levitators/fliers, IIRC).

If you use a "Spread" attack that hits both opponents Pokemon, you have to only have 1 target left for it to have full power.

I'm not sure about this last piece, but I believe if either attack KILLS the first (two) thing(s) it targets (with its 75% damage), the last standing Pokemon will take 100% full power damage. A pro would have to confirm this.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I'm not sure about this last piece, but I believe if either attack KILLS the first (two) thing(s) it targets (with its 75% damage), the last standing Pokemon will take 100% full power damage. A pro would have to confirm this.
If that's the case (which was mentioned a while ago iirc), what happens in PBR when things like Heat Wave literally hits both of the opponents at the same time?

If that's the case (which was mentioned a while ago iirc), what happens in PBR when things like Heat Wave literally hits both of the opponents at the same time?
I think the pokemon with higher speed actually gets hit first the animation just doesn't show it

Um, about my Dratini

Since Garchomp is banned, I looked at two pokemon that would be a good substitute: Dragonite and Salamence, which has slightly more powerful stat builds than Garchomp.(Yet I still don't understand why they are banned)

I'm training my Dragonair, which is not level 34. It has a Jolly nature, and I EV trained him with Attack and Speed until it became a Dragonair.

Is it a smart idea to grind my Dragonair using the Elite Four? I have level 100 ubers to help it level.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
If you haven't finished training all 510 EVs and you start leveling up at Elite 4, your Dragonair will gain some unwanted EVs from the Pokemon it fought.

haunter

Banned deucer.
Oh, I guess that's why my thread was just locked. I didn't see anything about it on the Stark Mountain or general rules. Is there a general information page by Smogon someone could direct me to rather than discuss it? I'm kind of stumped...
There is no page about AR codes, if you need them, simply do a google search.

No, your thread was locked because it didn't promote discussion and it was, in fact, a simple question (hence this thread).

What are the chances of a pokemon actually obeying you (or hell, even not obeying but still attacking) when it's level is too high?

What are the chances of a pokemon actually obeying you when it's level is too high? Feels like it's 1/20 ._.
I think it is related to the difference between your badge allowance and the pokémon because when using a traded pokémon that just levelled up above it, it obeyed a lot of the time, but L100s and such obeyed very little.

I don't need AR codes, I just want(ed) to know what the policy is.

I think it is related to the difference between your badge allowance and the pokémon because when using a traded pokémon that just levelled up above it, it obeyed a lot of the time, but L100s and such obeyed very little.

I don't need AR codes, I just want(ed) to know what the policy is.
there's a sticky in the wi-fi section you might find helpful.

i just got an growlithe from a friend and i want to evolve it so it learns thunder fang and extreme speed. it says thunder fang is a base move. does that mean that it learns it when it evolves? and can arcanine still learn flare blitz? cause it's not on his learned attacks list.

haunter

Banned deucer.
i just got an growlithe from a friend and i want to evolve it so it learns thunder fang and extreme speed. it says thunder fang is a base move. does that mean that it learns it when it evolves? and can arcanine still learn flare blitz? cause it's not on his learned attacks list.
Flare blitz is a level-up move for growlithe, just don't evolve it until level 48. For thunder fang, go to the move tutor (i mean the move relearner, in pastoria city) and use a heart scale when you have already evolved your growlithe.

Hey, I'm new to this site so I hope this is in the right spot, but can anyone tell me if this is an acceptable [future] Drifblim to use for the "metagame?" (I hope that's the right term.)

Drifloon (Pokemon Version: Diamond)
Iv's: HP 27/Atk 26/Def 26/SpA 18/SpD 24/Spe 31 (Total: 152)
Nature: Quirky +0 -0
Ability: Unburden

For three soft restarts, I found it's IV's to be exceptionally good for what I'm wanting to do. But it's nature, which I wanted to be Calm, is instead Quirky. How big of a burden will this be if I am using Drifblim as a Substitute Baton Passer? Should I throw in Explosion somewhere since it has low special attack, and decent speed+ it's ability/berry? (I'll be maxing out it's Speed EV's for sure to make for a first turn, low HP, explosion.)

(Ideal moves? Baton Pass, Substitute, Calm Mind, Explosion?)

Now I know that someone will be asking what kind of team I have in mind. But I'm thinking an under used, balanced, baton passing team. I also understand that Explosion will break my chain, but if I'm having to use Drifblim as second time, then it will probably have to be used as death fodder anyway.

Thanks in advance! ^_^

haunter

Banned deucer.
Hey, I'm new to this site so I hope this is in the right spot, but can anyone tell me if this is an acceptable [future] Drifblim to use for the "metagame?" (I hope that's the right term.)

Drifloon (Pokemon Version: Diamond)
Iv's: HP 27/Atk 26/Def 26/SpA 18/SpD 24/Spe 31 (Total: 152)
Nature: Quirky +0 -0
Ability: Unburden

For three soft restarts, I found it's IV's to be exceptionally good for what I'm wanting to do. But it's nature, which I wanted to be Calm, is instead Quirky. How big of a burden will this be if I am using Drifblim as a Substitute Baton Passer? Should I throw in Explosion somewhere since it has low special attack, and decent speed+ it's ability/berry? (I'll be maxing out it's Speed EV's for sure to make for a first turn, low HP, explosion.)

(Ideal moves? Baton Pass, Substitute, Calm Mind, Explosion?)

Now I know that someone will be asking what kind of team I have in mind. But I'm thinking an under used, balanced, baton passing team. I also understand that Explosion will break my chain, but if I'm having to use Drifblim as second time, then it will probably have to be used as death fodder anyway.

Thanks in advance! ^_^
Neutral natures are never acceptable. It's preferable a pokemon with lower IVs and the right nature to one with good IVs and a neutral nature.
However, next time try asking here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)