Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 18 (READ THE OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
On this Lucario SD set from his page:

Lucario @Life Orb
Inner Focus
-Swords Dance
-ExtremeSpeed
-Close Combat
-Crunch/Ice Punch/Stone Edge
Adamant/Jolly
252atk 252speed 4def

If you can go with Adamant why do they not give the option to use Steadfast? Wouldn't it make more sense to go with Steadfast?

Lucario pretty much already OHKOs 90% of faster pokemon with LO Extremespeed after a Swords Dance, so boosting speed isn't a huge benefit (it's also not something you're going to pull off very often at all). If Lucario is getting flinched by something, that means it's faster, and it's generally a much better option to have zero chance of getting flinched then OHKO back with a Close Combat than to risk being outsped even at +1 speed to KO them.

On this Lucario SD set from his page:

Lucario @Life Orb
Inner Focus
-Swords Dance
-ExtremeSpeed
-Close Combat
-Crunch/Ice Punch/Stone Edge
Adamant/Jolly
252atk 252speed 4def

If you can go with Adamant why do they not give the option to use Steadfast? Wouldn't it make more sense to go with Steadfast?
It used to say on the page the argument of Inner Focus versus Steadfast, but it appears to be gone now. Here are some reasons not to use Steadfast, however.
There are essentially four moves that you need to worry about in terms of Flinches: ScarfJirachi's Iron Head/Zen Headbutt, Shaymin-S's Air Slash, Togekiss's Air Slash, and Fake Out (generally from something like Weavile, Ambiipom, or Infernape). We'll look at these one at at time:
1) Scarf Jirachi: He usually runs enough speed that he will outspeed you at +1. Additionally, a +2 Close Combat should OHKO him. This means that if you run Steadfast, you risk having to take up to two Iron Head/Zen Headbutts before you can outspeed and Close Combat, while if you run Inner Focus you will always be able to attack after taking the first and KO him.
2) Shaymin-S: Not really a worry unless you are playing suspect or using him in ubers, but a +2 ExtremeSpeed will go before his Air Slash and will OHKO if he took SR Damage.
3) Togekiss: Again, a +2 Close Combat should OHKO. If he's Scarfed with maximum speed and a positive nature, he will outspeed you even with one boost, making this the same situation as ScarfJirachi. If he's not scarfed, unless he's running some strange set with max+ speed, you will outspeed and OHKO making it moot.
4) Fake Out: Since it is a priority move, you run the risk of having to eat the damage multiple times (if they switch out after using it), while if you run Inner Focus you just kill them the first time they try it and that's that.

Stupid question, but whatever:

Does Pickup have a certain chance of activating and getting an item regardless of where you are, or will it never pick up an item in certain areas, no matter what you do? Example: If I were to train something in the cave in Stark Mountain, and I bring my Level 51 Linoone (which I also use as an HM slave), can it pick up items inside the cavern or would I have to be outside for it to work? Because I would really like to be able to train my new Salamence in the area with the highest leveled wild Pokemon in the game while also having a chance to get my hands on certain goodies.

Also, for that matter, I keep forgetting which Pokemon evolve by the new stones. To my knowledge, it was something like this, right?
Dawn Stone - Ralts and Snorunt
Shiny Stone - Togetic and Roselia
Dusk Stone - Murkrow and Misdreavus
Am I missing any there?

What build do people most commonly use for a bulkymence? The one in the analysis is Jolly, but I have never seen people trading Jolly bagons in the Wifi, prefering natures that boost defense.

haunter

Banned deucer.
What build do people most commonly use for a bulkymence? The one in the analysis is Jolly, but I have never seen people trading Jolly bagons in the Wifi, prefering natures that boost defense.
The analysis lists 3 bulky Salamence sets: physically bulky, specially bulky and fatmence. A +Def or +SDef nature is definitely usable (a careful nature is listed in the "specially bulky" set as an alterantive), but that really depends on what are you using Salamence for. Sometimes I run an impish Salamence just to counter figthing pokemons and it works nicely sponging even super effective stone edges after intimidate.

The fact of the matter is, with 100 base Speed and 80 base defenses, it's easier to squeeze extra points out of Speed using a Positive nature than Defense. Assuming you want to outrun Adamant Lucario (and other Neutral Base 90s), you need to either run 176 Speed EVs or 76 Speed EVs with a Positive Nature. Those Extra 100 have to come out of a Defense, which assuming max HP and the rest in Defense, means a reduction from 180 to 80.
Jolly Salamence with 180 Defense EVs has a defense of 241.
Impish Salamence with 80 Defense EVs has a defense of 236.

Stupid question, but whatever:

Does Pickup have a certain chance of activating and getting an item regardless of where you are, or will it never pick up an item in certain areas, no matter what you do? Example: If I were to train something in the cave in Stark Mountain, and I bring my Level 51 Linoone (which I also use as an HM slave), can it pick up items inside the cavern or would I have to be outside for it to work? Because I would really like to be able to train my new Salamence in the area with the highest leveled wild Pokemon in the game while also having a chance to get my hands on certain goodies.

Also, for that matter, I keep forgetting which Pokemon evolve by the new stones. To my knowledge, it was something like this, right?
Dawn Stone - Ralts and Snorunt
Shiny Stone - Togetic and Roselia
Dusk Stone - Murkrow and Misdreavus
Am I missing any there?
Pickup works the same regardless of location. There is always a 10% chance of getting an item after a battle.

So I asked if rare candy spoils stats, a good man told me that it does not rise EV. But if one will have Full Ev Trained pokemon, and then rise its lv. using rare candy, will this pokemon have worse stats than a pokemon that was trained in normal way?

haunter

Banned deucer.
So I asked if rare candy spoils stats, a good man told me that it does not rise EV. But if one will have Full Ev Trained pokemon, and then rise its lv. using rare candy, will this pokemon have worse stats than a pokemon that was trained in normal way?
No, when you have fully EV trained a pokemon, it doesn't matter how you level it up, its final stats will be the same.

No, if your Pokemon is unable to earn any more EVs (it's fully EV trained), then it won't be able to augment its stats anyway. So if it's fully trained, there is no harm in using Rare Candies to raise its level, as this is no different than gaining Exp in battle while fully trained.

Must SD Weavile, Scizor and Gallade use LO? I want to use SD Gallade in Hail, but with LO?
LO gives them more power, but if you're really worried about residual damage, Expert Belt is the second best option because Weavile and Gallade have extremely wide coverage. Scizor on the other hand can learn Roost if you're really worried about recoil, plus if you tinker with the EVs, you can make him decently bulky enough to be very dangerous.

What is the probability of waking up after being put to sleep? Does it increase for each turn you're asleep?
There is actually a counter that starts at 2-5 that decreases every turn (including the turn the Pokemon falls asleep, so the Pokemon sleeps for 1-4 turns). I don't know about the probability for each number though.

If I use Bronzong uses swagger, followed by psych up, does his attack stat sharply increase?
Yes, any stat raises done by other Pokemon can by Psych Upped. This includes Swaggering or Flattering your own Pokemon in double battles.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
Every pokemon benefits from DS, but the ones that like them the most are obviously, the set-uppers. Something like SD Scizor or DD Mence love to be behind screens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)