Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 18 (READ THE OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Platinum really worth it, I've got Pearl at the moment after buying a new DS and Im looking to get back into competitive battling like I was 1-2 years ago before my DS Lite broke.
Not worth it competitively if you are capable of trading, for ingame experience if you enjoy repeat gameplay go for it.

Pokemon A attacks pokemon 1: (obviously)
Pokemon A attacks pokemon 2:
Pokemon A attacks all pokemon (EQ):
Pokemon B attacks pokemon 1:
Pokemon B attacks all pokemon (EQ):

I'm assuming it would work for all of them based on how sucker punch works in singles, but would that be right?
It only hits who you target, and will activated if your targetted by any pokemon (so if you target Pokemon 1 targets A, and A doesn't target 1 but B does, it will still activate and hit A).

Didn't Platinum add some kind of Battle Frontier pokemon-worth checker similar to the old man found in Emerald? I can't seem to find where the guy is.
Yes he is there, but I don't know where he's at (sorry).

Have anyone of you come across anything like that, or is this a comeplete fake?
If you're talking about Intimidate not activating, it was likely some condition that prevented its activation (I'm not huge on doubles mechanics). He has no proof that it's not intimidate. Concerning the pokeballs, they're largely irrelevant.

Anyway, my question to the wise minds of Smogon is: Does Flower Gift, Cherrim's exclusive ability, power up the Attack and Special Defense stats, or does it power up the Attack and Special Attack stats?
No, it raises physical attack and special defense. You're making false assumptions. When 2 sites are conflicting, always trust Smogon. It's bad to assume Smogon is false when Bulbapedia also confirms as well, despite was Serebii says (they're full of inaccuracies).

So Veedrock, then would it be a good idea for Cherrim to know Seed Bomb? It can learn the move in Platinum, and I was kind of banking on Smogon to be correct, anyway. Just wanted to ask a pro (or someone equally inteligent).

Water Spout/Blizzard/Hydro Pump/Rest Wailord works? Maybe Waterfall/EQ/Avalanche/Hydro Pump? What about Blizzard/EQ/Avalanche/Waterfall Walrein?

So Veedrock, then would it be a good idea for Cherrim to know Seed Bomb? It can learn the move in Platinum, and I was kind of banking on Smogon to be correct, anyway. Just wanted to ask a pro (or someone equally inteligent).
Tangrowth does a better job at the Sunny Day abusing physical Grass-type gig. Even if you do use Cherrim the rest of her movepool consists of...Return. Not reliable or efficient.

Water Spout/Blizzard/Hydro Pump/Rest Wailord works? Maybe Waterfall/EQ/Avalanche/Hydro Pump? What about Blizzard/EQ/Avalanche/Waterfall Walrein?
It really depends on how you plan to invest. I wouldn't use the first set because as you're sleeping Water Spout is being weakened by attacks. The others are fairly mixed, hence why it depends on your investments. 2 Ice attacks is unnecessary, so I would go with the second set.

I just went to clean out my boxes. Two pokemon didn't want to leave.

"Tyler relased Azumarill.
Bye Bye Azumarill.
Azumarril came back!
Maybe it was worried about you?"

The text there implies a pokemon I traded for cares for me. o.O
I didn't know this could happen. Why is it that this happens? How do I get rid of it?

I just went to clean out my boxes. Two pokemon didn't want to leave.

"Tyler relased Azumarill.
Bye Bye Azumarill.
Azumarril came back!
Maybe it was worried about you?"

The text there implies a pokemon I traded for cares for me. o.O
I didn't know this could happen. Why is it that this happens? How do I get rid of it?
Azumarril was the only Pokemon you own to know a certain HM. For instance, it could be the only Pokemon you own that knows Surf.

I know, I know, this site has a little tidbit about the ability, but, after trying to verify the answer, I got really confused.

Anyway, my question to the wise minds of Smogon is: Does Flower Gift, Cherrim's exclusive ability, power up the Attack and Special Defense stats, or does it power up the Attack and Special Attack stats?

I really want to know becuase I am thinking of building a Sunny Day team utilizing the ability. Much thanks to the person that answers this question.
It powers up the Attack and SpD if i remember correctly :)

"When the sunlight is strong, this Pokémon raises its own Attack and Special Defense by 50%. In 2v2, it also raises the Attack and Special Defense of its partner by 50%. This effect does not stack if two Pokémon have Flower Gift."

Ehehehe, IV checker guy is the scientist standing next to the PC in the Battle Tower.
Alright! Now that I've found him, I just have to know if the things he says differ greatly from in Emerald or not. They seem generally the same, but slightly different... (did someone make a post on this somewhere at all? I feel like it's something that would've been covered somewhere before... <.< And I mean for Platinum, not for Emerald. XD)

Can a Pokémon appear in the Trophy Garden for more than 2 days at a time? For example, if the man says on Thursday that Eevee is there, Eevee will be there for Thursday and Friday; is it possible that I can soft reset to get Eevee to appear again on Saturday (and, for that matter, Sunday)?

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
synchronizing for Zapdos in XD

Sooooo...according to Bublapedia Synchronizing for Legendaries works from Emerald onward. For example, I've used it in Pearl. XD came after Emerald, so I think it should work to catch that Zapdos the way I want it. Does anyone know for sure if this won't work?

I don't get this IRC stuff, I don't want to pay for the windows IRC stuff, so I tried Mibbit. I put in all the info "#stark, etc." But, no one is there. I tried a lot, #stark, #smogon, etc. Is the info wrong, or is just no one there? thanks.
You're probably not on the right server. It's synIRC. BTW, for mIRC, you don't have to pay despite it telling you to register.

Can a Pokémon appear in the Trophy Garden for more than 2 days at a time? For example, if the man says on Thursday that Eevee is there, Eevee will be there for Thursday and Friday; is it possible that I can soft reset to get Eevee to appear again on Saturday (and, for that matter, Sunday)?
As long as it is "out" of the garden, you can reset for it even if it was just in there.

Sooooo...according to Bublapedia Synchronizing for Legendaries works from Emerald onward. For example, I've used it in Pearl. XD came after Emerald, so I think it should work to catch that Zapdos the way I want it. Does anyone know for sure if this won't work?
XD and Colosseum mechanics are seperate from the handheld games (they're made by different groups), so it's likely that it won't work.

Will a USA or Japan Movie Shaymin/Regigigas activate their respective events (Gracedia Flower and Regi Trio) on an Australian Copy of Platinum? Thanks in advance

Hello.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6JyRYJ8zD0&feature=channel_page

Have anyone of you come across anything like that, or is this a comeplete fake?
Willing to bet that they hacked their team and landed on the "switch teams" thing on the roulette.

One thing that hardly anyone seem to know is that new things entering and old things leaving is NOT automatic, it happens when Backlot tell you about it. So let's say your first visit gets you Eevee. Eevee will be the only "special" Pokemon there until you talk to Backlot and get him to get another Pokemon in, no matter how long it takes. At that point, you'll have both Eevee and the new Pokemon until you talk to him again, at which point that new addition will push Eevee out. So if you want to keep Eevee in there, just don't talk to Backlot and the Eevees will stay.

A question of my own: Does anyone know of any good Battle Videos, preferably Uber battles? Doubles preferably, those are more fun to watch for me. All I find is stuff like "Rayquaza sweeps someone who probably doesn't have a badge yet" and "Guy hacks ubers into Battle Tower, still loses". (BTW, 99-85554-44816 for the second thing I mentioned. That guy fails.)

One thing that hardly anyone seem to know is that new things entering and old things leaving is NOT automatic, it happens when Backlot tell you about it. So let's say your first visit gets you Eevee. Eevee will be the only "special" Pokemon there until you talk to Backlot and get him to get another Pokemon in, no matter how long it takes. At that point, you'll have both Eevee and the new Pokemon until you talk to him again, at which point that new addition will push Eevee out. So if you want to keep Eevee in there, just don't talk to Backlot and the Eevees will stay.
Cool! I definitely didn't know that. So if the last two times I spoke with him, he said Eevee and Ditto are in there, they would be in there forever if I were to never talk to him again? Do DS clock changes have any effect on this?

A question of my own: Does anyone know of any good Battle Videos, preferably Uber battles? Doubles preferably, those are more fun to watch for me. All I find is stuff like "Rayquaza sweeps someone who probably doesn't have a badge yet" and "Guy hacks ubers into Battle Tower, still loses". (BTW, 99-85554-44816 for the second thing I mentioned. That guy fails.)
I'd be interested in these too. LOL at the guy who hacked the Dialga/Darkrai/Giratina into the BT and still lost... that's great.

Cool! I definitely didn't know that. So if the last two times I spoke with him, he said Eevee and Ditto are in there, they would be in there forever if I were to never talk to him again? Do DS clock changes have any effect on this?

I'd be interested in these too. LOL at the guy who hacked the Dialga/Darkrai/Giratina into the BT and still lost... that's great.
First thing: Yep, as long as you don't talk to him, the garden's residents will stay the same forever. Messing with the clock wouldn't do anything to change that.

Second thing: It's even better when you notice that it's Palmer's first team that he lost to. Way to suck, dude.

Alright! Now that I've found him, I just have to know if the things he says differ greatly from in Emerald or not. They seem generally the same, but slightly different... (did someone make a post on this somewhere at all? I feel like it's something that would've been covered somewhere before... <.< And I mean for Platinum, not for Emerald. XD)
I asked the same question a while ago but got nothing. Just use him a few times and you'll be able to notice what is 'good' and what is not. And flawless IVs are easy to identify, he says obvious stuff for them.

According to the official guide (and from testing with my own Pokemon it seems accurate):

"This Pokemon's potential is (decent, above average, outstanding or relatively superior) all around."

"I would say the best potential lies in its (stat with best IV) stat."

"(It's rather decent, It's very good, It's fantastic, or It can't be better) in that regard."

Chopped out unimportant sentences, listed messages from worst to best. Nothing on how high IVs have to be for each message though.

According to the official guide (and from testing with my own Pokemon it seems accurate):

"This Pokemon's potential is (decent, above average, outstanding or relatively superior) all around."

"I would say the best potential lies in its (stat with best IV) stat."

"(It's rather decent, It's very good, It's fantastic, or It can't be better) in that regard."

Chopped out unimportant sentences, listed messages from worst to best. Nothing on how high IVs have to be for each message though.
I'm pretty sure from my own personal experience while Platinum breeding that for the 'Pokemon's potential' outstanding is better than relatively superior...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)