Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
With 252 attack EVs and positive nature, Cradily does 15% against min/min Tyranitar.
It can break the sub. But Cradily has better things to do...

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
With 252 attack EVs and positive nature, Cradily does 15% against min/min Tyranitar.
It can break the sub. But Cradily has better things to do...
Read carefully, I plan to BP SD boosts to it. =)

I haven't come up with a spread yet, but I guess I might try it out....

Why are certain Ability and MS combos illegal? I've heard that a Breloom with Poison Heal and Thunder Punch was illegal for instance. I was under the impression that if a poke had multiple abilities then one was just randomly chosen (at least all the Trace and Synchronize Ralts I've been getting tells me that).

For a CounterWeavile, should I be trying to get low defense?

Also, if someone FireBlasts me for example, would Counter work, or only for physical moves?

For a CounterWeavile, should I be trying to get low defense?

Also, if someone FireBlasts me for example, would Counter work, or only for physical moves?
Low Def would probably be good, and no, counter's only for physical attacks, that's what mirror coat is for, special attacks

So what I need on a Counter Weavile is something like this?

31/31/x/x/31/31

High HP makes you deal more damage when you're down to 1 right?

When you migrate a Pokemon does the ability always change into a new D/P ability or is there a chance it might not change?

Why are certain Ability and MS combos illegal? I've heard that a Breloom with Poison Heal and Thunder Punch was illegal for instance. I was under the impression that if a poke had multiple abilities then one was just randomly chosen (at least all the Trace and Synchronize Ralts I've been getting tells me that).
Using your breloom example, Thunderpunch is an Emerald tutor move that can only be taught to Breloom (as in not shroomish). Poison heal is a fourth generation ability. therefore if you have a breloom in Emerald and you teach it Tpunch, it's ability cannot and won't change when it comes to Diamond/Pearl. It will already have Effect Spore and since it can't evolve it has no chance to change abilities.

However, if Shroomish could learn thunderpunch (which is not the case), it would have a chance of changing abilities when it evolves after being pal parked to DP.

When you migrate a Pokemon does the ability always change into a new D/P ability or is there a chance it might not change?
It has a 50% chance to change when evolving. Just transfering won't change abilities.
And IIRC this just applies for the Pokémon that in 3rd gen had just one ability while in 4th it has two, like Porygon, Tyrogue and Clefairy.

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
where can I read warstories about the jaa(links would be cool)
Or any other interesting topics. I'm interested in the doubles environment and would like to start from there. I already read 5k runner's thread and Obi's smeargle discussion but are there any other good topics/warstories.

Lopunny
Jolly(Klutz)
@Sticky Barb
Switcheroo
Toxic
Encore
Return/ Focus Punch

Should I use Focus Punch or Return? It has an attack iv of 1, I don't want to get taunted, so what would work best here?

Using your breloom example, Thunderpunch is an Emerald tutor move that can only be taught to Breloom (as in not shroomish). Poison heal is a fourth generation ability. therefore if you have a breloom in Emerald and you teach it Tpunch, it's ability cannot and won't change when it comes to Diamond/Pearl. It will already have Effect Spore and since it can't evolve it has no chance to change abilities.

However, if Shroomish could learn thunderpunch (which is not the case), it would have a chance of changing abilities when it evolves after being pal parked to DP.
Oh, I get it now. Thanks for clearing that up.

Lopunny
Jolly(Klutz)
@Sticky Barb
Switcheroo
Toxic
Encore
Return/ Focus Punch

Should I use Focus Punch or Return? It has an attack iv of 1, I don't want to get taunted, so what would work best here?
If they Taunt, they'll at least lose their item =P
Hard answer, but I'd say Focus Punch. You can cause switches with Encore, so Focus Punch will enjoy.

If that was the only option... It does fail to do more than 53% at least to Blissey, but you can accumulate some Stealth Rock/Spikes damage.

Wait can you clone a Pokemon and keep migrating to see if they change abilities when they evolve? Or is it the same each time?

Wait can you clone a Pokemon and keep migrating to see if they change abilities when they evolve? Or is it the same each time?
Clones are all treated as the same thing. It's something like a hidden value (I believe it's personality, not sure) that determines the ability when they evolve (if the Poke got a new ability).

So if you had a Shroomish with a value of...170, then evolved it in DP, then it would have Poison Heal, but if you evolved it in RSE, then it would have Effect Spore. This would apply to all clones that you could make from that Shroomish.

It has a 50% chance to change when evolving. Just transfering won't change abilities.
And IIRC this just applies for the Pokémon that in 3rd gen had just one ability while in 4th it has two, like Porygon, Tyrogue and Clefairy.
Pointing out that even things that already had two abilities are still capable of changing. The main offender with this problem is Togepi/tic changing ability when becoming a Togekiss. It's happened to me, a good Tri-Attack Serene Grace Togetic evolved into a Hustle Togekiss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)