All Gens Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II (RoA edition)

Foggi

Banned deucer.
i already informed zarel and some other staff members about the problem with clefable and explained him how to obtain the certain set with Magic Guard abillity some time ago, but he seems to not have fixed that yet

Reactions: hyw
They were both banned by UU in ORAS, and thus the bans extend all the way down to RU, NU, and PU.
But why were they banned in UU? This doesn't answer my question.
Edit: I found the answer myself. Apparently it's because there were lots of swift swimmers, so banning all of them would be more of a hassle than banning drizzle.

Generation 3 had 200 Metagame, and generations 6 and 7 had Pre-bank OU. Do Generations 4 and 5 have anything like that?

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Generation 3 had 200 Metagame, and generations 6 and 7 had Pre-bank OU. Do Generations 4 and 5 have anything like that?
I've never heard of one, so I doubt it. Gens 4 and 5 didn't get as drastic changes because you could migrate Pokémon in-game, meaning all pokemon were accessible from the start

I've never heard of one, so I doubt it. Gens 4 and 5 didn't get as drastic changes because you could migrate Pokémon in-game, meaning all pokemon were accessible from the start
DP had a few differences from Plat + HG/SS. Hypnosis had 70% accuracy. Blizzard and Thunder could break through Protect / Detect when used in hail and rain, respectively. There were also no Rotom formes, which is pretty huge. Platinum's move tutors and movepool changes were arguably bigger, though. That's how we got stuff like Scizor with Bullet Punch and Superpower.

BW1 vs BW2 is mostly just a difference in which Dream World abilities were released, though that's pretty notable. You can see how different DW abilities became available here. The shard move tutors also expanded movepools (especially for BW mons that didn't have access to DPP's).

DP had a few differences from Plat + HG/SS. Hypnosis had 70% accuracy. Blizzard and Thunder could break through Protect / Detect when used in hail and rain, respectively. There were also no Rotom formes, which is pretty huge. Platinum's move tutors and movepool changes were arguably bigger, though. That's how we got stuff like Scizor with Bullet Punch and Superpower.

BW1 vs BW2 is mostly just a difference in which Dream World abilities were released, though that's pretty notable. You can see how different DW abilities became available here. The shard move tutors also expanded movepools (especially for BW mons that didn't have access to DPP's).
Are there any guides for playing with these differences (or for playing without national Pokedex Pokemon)?

kinda applies to later gens too but idk while i'm here

how do cartridges work to detect things like making sure thick club raises marowak's attack or stick boosts farfetch'd's crit ratio? do they scan for the pokedex number? the exact name?

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
What's the "standard team" in GSC OU?
a "generic" team would be something like snorlax/electric legend/exeggutor/cloyster/steel-type/filler, which is a general idea of what a majority of gsc teams look like

to get more technical there's actually a number of different builds you can make: offense leaning balance, defense leaning balance, stall, explosion, bp being the main ones that come to mind, depending on what you're comfortable using

What's the "standard team" in GSC OU?
if youve ever seen borats team this will look familiar. the most standard gsc team is an offense consisting of zapdos, cloyster, exeggutor, steelix, snorlax, last (most commonly machamp, then vaporeon, then gengar, then nidoking, then raikou, others are usable but not nearly common enough to be mentioned). zap is just about always thunder hpice restalk, cloyster has spikes/explosion and then surf/toxic, surf/hp elec, or ice beam/hp elec (dont really see much clamp/screech stuff these days), exeggutor has explosion/psychic and then 2 of sleep/stun/giga/hp fire/thief (leech seed is really rare), steelix is nearly always curse/eq/roar/explosion (sometimes replaced for body slam or rock slide), snorlax can be anything but generally assume a curser of some kind for defensive stability (forces the opponent to stall it which can help you regain momentum if youve fallen a little behind). machamp would be curse 3 attacks (cc/rs/hpbug generally but earthquake is good too), vaporeon is growth/surf/rest/acid armor or sleep talk, gengar is whatever but generally ice punch/tbolt/dpunch/boom (throw in shit you like such as hypnosis and dbond), nido is lovely kiss/eq/ib/thunder (fb is reaaaally rare, sometimes thief is used over lk), raikou should be thunder/hp water/roar/rest imo (and it allows for a more aggressive lax i think)

there are other popular teams (for example zapdos/starmie/skarmory/miltank/drumlax/marowak) but the above is the gold standard in this day and age. its style is often referred to as a "boom team" and people try to take advantage of it pokemon like tentacruel and jynx

FNH

F is for Finchi, N is for Nator, H is for Hater
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Is there a ladder usage chart of each mon for each gen and tier? If so where would it be located?

on a set like that it doesn't really matter so it's really minor stuff but the stall v stall matchup back when forretress was around could get pretty tight so any advantage was nice and telling the other guy that you could have overheat and making him think twice about staying in to stack spikes or throw a payback could be helpful. realistically the team/style was so well-known and rotom's non-scarf (and eventually specs) set was almost always restalk; the biggest question being whether it was wisp/sball/reflect in the last slot, and I can't think of anyone good at the time who'd be caught using lefties overheat, so in practice it didn't really do anything and it's just a matter of picking your favorite rotom form. heat was the "best" for a while although for a long time now that has shifted to wash.

Pardon me if this isn't the right place to ask (I have no idea where else I could go to ask this):
Are there any learnset differences (level-up moves, TMs, HMs) between the original Japanese Red/Green, the original Japanese Blue, and the worldwide Red/Blue release? I know Yellow changed up some sets (Pikachu, Eevee, etc.) from the worldwide Red/Blue, but as you can imagine it's hard to find information on the Japanese RGB releases.

Pardon me if this isn't the right place to ask (I have no idea where else I could go to ask this):
Are there any learnset differences (level-up moves, TMs, HMs) between the original Japanese Red/Green, the original Japanese Blue, and the worldwide Red/Blue release? I know Yellow changed up some sets (Pikachu, Eevee, etc.) from the worldwide Red/Blue, but as you can imagine it's hard to find information on the Japanese RGB releases.
No moveset differences, though there were mechanical differences. We use the international releases of Red/Blue (and then Yellow) for mechanics in our simulator/tournaments.

- Staryu can't learn Rapid Spin because it's incompatible with another move.
- Staryu can't learn Recover because it's incompatible with another move.
- Staryu must be at least level 50 because it has a move only available from an event.
Why can't I use this set on PS? I've always used this on PO during BW without any problems

Staryu @ Eviolite
Level: 5
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 36 Def / 236 SAtk / 236 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)