Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark III: Read the FAQ in the Opening Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: And a question of my own: how viable is Hidden Power Water Galvantula?
You've got that from the UU strategy section, haven't you? It depends on the tier you are going to use it. There are only two notable Pokemon in UU you might hit with that, Rhyperior and Rotom-H. Because Galvantual doesn't have many options anyway there is nothing wrong with Water - especially since Gastrodon ascended tiers there is no use for Energy Ball anyway.
In OU/Uber you pretty much want to use Ice to make short shift of Landorus and probably some dragons.

I have an odd question... We start a theoretical 2 vs 2 battle. On one side, a max speed adamant Quagsire (Q1) has unaware, and another max speed Timid Quagsire (Q2) has water absorb. On the other side, the enemy has only one pokemon left, and it's a max speed adamant Steelix (S) which has been baton passed 3 shell smashes. They all use Earthquake. Here's the problem: Q1 is slower than Q2, but faster than S. Q2 is slower than S, but faster than Q1. S is slower than Q1, but faster than Q2. Who moves first?

Steelix as unaware doesn;t ignore speed boosts, it only ignores steelix's attack boosts, so its 2 quagsires vs a +6 Attack (which is ignored) /+6special attack (also ignored)/+6 speed (which is not ignored), so your opponent has a 0/0/0/0/+6 steelix

Steelix, then Timid Quagsire, then Adamant Quagsire.

This is because with 3 Shell Smashes, Steelix outspeeds the other two Pokemon by miles. Unaware does not affect the speed here, only ignoring attack and Defense (and special attack and special Defense) boosts when calculating damage (oh, and also ignoring evasion/accuracy modifiers). Thus, Steelix first.

Two questions:
1- Are there any good Pokemon podcasts besides Smogon's that you'd recommend? Preferably one with good discussions about the competitive side of Pokemon.

2- Is there a recommended resource where I can read about the basics of competitive Pokemon gameplay, team building, etc? I've been a player since Blue, but I've never done more than play random games with friends using sub-par Pokemon.

I'm interested in reading up on team balance, team builds(aggressive vs defensive builds, for example), strategies to common situations, etc.

I've been browsing Smogon occasionally for over a year now, but a lot of what I read requires an understanding I don't feel I've acquired yet.

Also, I know there's a tutor program that I'd love to get in to. But I don't know when the sign ups are, and even then there's no guarantee I'll get in. I just don't want to wait a month or 2 when I can get started now, you know?

Two questions:
1- Are there any good Pokemon podcasts besides Smogon's that you'd recommend? Preferably one with good discussions about the competitive side of Pokemon.

2- Is there a recommended resource where I can read about the basics of competitive Pokemon gameplay, team building, etc? I've been a player since Blue, but I've never done more than play random games with friends using sub-par Pokemon.

I'm interested in reading up on team balance, team builds(aggressive vs defensive builds, for example), strategies to common situations, etc.

I've been browsing Smogon occasionally for over a year now, but a lot of what I read requires an understanding I don't feel I've acquired yet.

Also, I know there's a tutor program that I'd love to get in to. But I don't know when the sign ups are, and even then there's no guarantee I'll get in. I just don't want to wait a month or 2 when I can get started now, you know?
I'm new too, so maybe I can help with that.

Smogon has been recommended by a lot of pokemon groups I've been to, so it has some authority the unofficial community, mainly for it's tiers. Smogon is here for if you want to become a competitive battler. Go to Serebii if you are expecting less seriousness. If you do not understand many aspects of pokemon yet, then it may help to visit Serebii and get a general aspect of pokemon before becoming hard-core. If you are interested in individual pokemon and their move-sets and stats, then I'd recommend bulbapedia. Bulbapedia can also be used to get an in-depth understanding of attacks, terms, and abilities, as well as changes over the generations. Smogon has information on pokemon individuals, but unless you copy another player, you aren't going to find whole team line-ups. If you are making a themed team (such as a Rain Dance team), Smogon has information on that too. Use the search bar at the top to find the pages to define unfamiliar terms.

I can not answer when the next apprentice program will be, but it would help if in the mean-time, you explored Pokemon a little more and got familiar with the site. Just come back often, and at least prepare a little.

That's just a fellow newbie's opinion anyway.

That's an awesome reply, thanks Hawke.

I'll check out Serebii and get more comfortable, but I definitely want to get up to par for Smogon's competitive scene. Like I said, I'm not a total newbie, but there's a lot I want to learn before I feel comfortable around the people of Smogon.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Should Medicham and Weavile be considered usable in OU? Also, should I use Fire Punch and/or Rock Slide on Medicham?
I'm not sure about Medicham, but Weavile is incredible in OU. It can run a good few sets - pick one from its analysis or make your own. However, its niche is in killing Pokemon weak to Ice, particularly Dragons, so play to its strengths and it'll shine.

A question of my own: Is Gliscor a good check/counter to Lucario? And if so, are there any sets I can use on Gliscor to wall it while maintaining offensive pressure on my opponent?

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not sure about Medicham, but Weavile is incredible in OU. It can run a good few sets - pick one from its analysis or make your own. However, its niche is in killing Pokemon weak to Ice, particularly Dragons, so play to its strengths and it'll shine.

A question of my own: Is Gliscor a good check/counter to Lucario? And if so, are there any sets I can use on Gliscor to wall it while maintaining offensive pressure on my opponent?
Gliscor is an okay check to Lucario as long as you're investing enough into Speed to outpace max Speed Adamant Luke. Some Lucario's run Ice Punch, which will really fuck up Gliscor. Though some run Crunch so they can beat Jellicent. So Gliscor is a perfect counter to Lucario as long as you're faster than Adamant!!

Also making a new SQSA thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)