Resource Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: NU Edition

A Modest nature is preferred as the most optimal set for Regice is an offensive Rock Polish set.
You say that but I checked last month's 1630 and 1760 usage stats and quiet nature is the most used. Similarly the regirock analysis on-site says to use careful but the top players use adamant...

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You say that but I checked last month's 1630 and 1760 usage stats and quiet nature is the most used. Similarly the regirock analysis on-site says to use careful but the top players use adamant...
I'll be honest with you, Regice really isn't that great in NU, and neither is Regirock. Top players don't use either because there are so many pokemon that do the same exact thing, just better. I was just saying modest because the analysis for Regice that's being worked on has that as the only nature.
edit: ya, agreeing with everything davon said

Last edited:
If you're gonna use regice it's best to go modest on rock polish and tank sets. Usually Cryogonal is used over Regice because it's faster, has freeze dry, spins, and has recovery. If you're gonna use regirock, don't. Rhydon is superior in almost every way to Regirock. Usage does not always mean that pokemon/set is good.

Quiet on Rock Polish LOL that is actually depressing.

1. Top players p much dont use Regice / Regirock anyways accept for niche purposes.
2. Modest 0 Atk IVs lets you dampen foul play and confusion damage, decreasing the chance that hax will overcome your regice. Tl;Dr Quiet Regice is an actual wtf set thats retarded loll

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
The fact that there's so little Regice usage probably means that the usage stats were skewed by one guy using TR team with Regice. If you look at 1670 over the 1760 stats you actually see significantly less Quiet Regice. Hell the usage stats say Gourgeist was used with Regice like 55%+ of the time, which leads me to believe that this is one or two people spamming the same team...

Oh and look at the top teammates for Regice: Regigigas and Regirock. :^)

Also I don't remember who it was maybe it was QQ but he's been using this Calm + Defense EV'ed Regice which has apparently been faring well for him.

I've been seeing Soulgazer hype Vibrava for a while now and I've really been meaning to try it out but can't fathom an effective set/EV set to put on it.

What is the "common" Vibrava set?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I've been seeing Soulgazer hype Vibrava for a while now and I've really been meaning to try it out but can't fathom an effective set/EV set to put on it.

What is the "common" Vibrava set?
Max HP / Max Special Defense, Careful nature
Roost / Defog / Earthquake / U-turn | Toxic | Filler

After serperior is banned later on.. What do you guys think servine's viability would be in NU? Eviolite with contrary doesn't seem too shabby.. (Asked here cause I don't see an NU discussion forum)

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
After serperior is banned later on.. What do you guys think servine viability would be in NU? (Asked here cause I don't see an NU discussion forum)
Probably not, it doesn't have the great speed serperior has, has pretty bad offenses and much less bulk. If you're going eviolite you are giving up LO power, just wont be worth it.

Edit @ below: you'll have to wait for that to happen lol, but tbh I just think its gonna be way to weak and slow, and the one thing that makes Serp so good is its great speed.

Last edited:
Nothing it can revenge kill for setup fodder? It does have base 83 speed so scarf could work.. maybe.. I'm hardly familiar with the nu metagame. Only 60 base SpA which sucks.. but still.

What´s Electivire best moveset?. Also when should i use fully Defensive Sandslash instead of the Bulky max attack Adamant?, that is with what teamates or vs an enemy.

Last edited:

Pokedots

How should I live to be happy
is a Contributor Alumnus
What´s Electivire best moveset?. Also when should i use fully Defensive Sanslash instead of the Bulky max attack Adamant?, that is with what teamates or vs an enemy.
In general, Magmortar is a better wallbreaker, but Electivire has its uses. Generally, the best set is T-Bolt or Wild Charge/Flamethrower/HP Grass/Earthquake with a Life Orb, and you can be either physically or specially based depending on your STAB of choice.

I have two questions:
- Has Serperior's hidden ability been released? Because it is still crossed on Showdown

- What does HO mean?

Pokedots

How should I live to be happy
is a Contributor Alumnus
I have two questions:
- Has Serperior's hidden ability been released? Because it is still crossed on Showdown

- What does HO mean?
1. Contrary will be released next month (I believe) through a distribution event in Japan.
2. HO means Hyper Offense, which is exactly what it sounds like.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Why is it that most guys sets recommended by smogon for Swellow use toxic orb and not flame orb?
You take less damage initially from Toxic Orb than you do from Flame Orb. So Swellow is ment to only stay in for a turn or two and revenge kill something so the less damage possible from an orb the better.

Edit @ below:

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Why is it that most guys sets recommended by smogon for Swellow use toxic orb and not flame orb?
Swellow is often a hit and run sort of Pokemon and Toxic Orb has less recoil over the first 2 turns than flame orb (6% + 12% < 12% + 12%) and equal recoil over the course of the first 3 turns (6% + 12% + 18% = 12% + 12% + 12%), it is rare that Swellow will stay on the field for more than 3 turns given its frailty so Toxic Orb is usually better.

edit: ninja'd but my explanation is more thorough so gg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)