Ask simple questions here! [READ ORIGINAL POST before posting]

Not sure if that one counts as a doubt on the simulator itself but...

If I want to point out bugs on the simulator, who I should be asking for? Because Shedinja having Swords Dance and any other move learned by Ninjask on the sixth gen shouldn't be legal due to the tweaks made on the console games and the fact that the pokébank considers any Shedinja that has those moves illegal. I can shrugg off the RNG activating effects impossibly frequently but at least THAT should be corrected.

Plus I suspect Clear Smog is glitched too. The enemy Garchomp hit my Drifblim (I was getting some laughs off on AG with the baton pass team) exactly as hard after and before removing his +4 Attack boost

Sobi

Banned deucer.
Not sure if that one counts as a doubt on the simulator itself but...

If I want to point out bugs on the simulator, who I should be asking for? Because Shedinja having Swords Dance and any other move learned by Ninjask on the sixth gen shouldn't be legal due to the tweaks made on the console games and the fact that the pokébank considers any Shedinja that has those moves illegal. I can shrugg off the RNG activating effects impossibly frequently but at least THAT should be corrected.

Plus I suspect Clear Smog is glitched too. The enemy Garchomp hit my Drifblim (I was getting some laughs off on AG with the baton pass team) exactly as hard after and before removing his +4 Attack boost
hi, if you find any bugs on the simulator, post them in this thread

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
What Sobi said (lol)

The first issue was addressed in this post. If it doesn't transfer now, that's different, but given how it was possible a year ago, you can -theoretically- face off using SD Shedinja. If you can't use it in Battle Spot or w/e, that's probably another case and needs to be addressed.

Clear Smog isn't glitched afaik so you're gonna need to provide a replay on that one or replicate it. Are you sure you didn't hit a Substitute?

It didn't. The boost add-ups on Garchomp dissapeared as normal, that's for sure. Also pretty sure Shedinja cannot be used on BSS. Otherwise, it would be silly. Cannot test that for the obvious reason that i cannot procure a SD Shedinja on 3ds.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Also pretty sure Shedinja cannot be used on BSS. Otherwise, it would be silly. Cannot test that for the obvious reason that i cannot procure a SD Shedinja on 3ds.
You're right, SD Shedinja can't be used on BSS, but not because it can't be transferred (it can). The fact that it has to be transferred at all is what stops it since BSS uses the pentagon rule. SD Shedinja can only be obtained from a Gen 3 or 4 game.

sam-testings

What a beautiful face, I have found in this place
How do I make an account that isnt linked to my main? My school IP is banned and its pretty annoying sometimes.

Sobi

Banned deucer.
How do I make an account that isnt linked to my main? My school IP is banned and its pretty annoying sometimes.
Nope; no matter how many new alts your make, if they are linked to your locked school IP, they will be locked as well. The only way to not be locked is to use a different IP address, but that counts as evading so I would not recommend that.

Where can I check movesets for Randbats? I think I faced a Swords Dance+Baton Pass Shedinja the other day, an illegal moveset, but I'm not sure if I remember right.

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Where can I check movesets for Randbats? I think I faced a Swords Dance+Baton Pass Shedinja the other day, an illegal moveset, but I'm not sure if I remember right.
There's a command for the bot TIBot, that allows you to show the moves Pokemon in random battles can have.
.randbats [Pokemon]

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Unknown Warrior I believe that move combination is possible on Shedinja due to an exploit found in earlier Generations.
It isn't. Shedinja only learns Swords Dance and Baton Pass by Nincada evolving into Ninjask and Shedinja in a past generation, at a level where Ninjask learns a level-up move. And since Ninjask learns Swords Dance and Baton Pass at separate levels, it can't learn both at once. Random Battles can include illegal/unreleased moves, items and abilities at times. Like Extremespeed-Linoone with Quick Feet, Flying Gem-Drifblim and Hidden Ability-Raikou/Entei/Suicune before their release.

Why exactly is Gogoat (and Noctowl) a PU??

I remember having a hard time fighting them in randoms.

This time I was lucky enough to get Gogoat myself. I obliterated my enemy with him. Gogoat with no help from other pkmn on its own took down: * A delcatty (PU) * an Uxie (RU) * an Umbreon (UU) * a Zygarde (BL). http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/randombattle-376305435

I might be a noob, but for me, well... Gogoat's bulk paired with decent attack for Horn Leech might make him unkillable. The setting we see on Randoms : Leftovers + Horn Leech + Sub + Leech Seed synergizes extremely well. If you don't have toxic any more and can't do more than 50% HP to Gogoat in one move you're dead. And even if you can, you might still be dead thanks to sub combo.

In this, Gogoat is pretty similar to Air Slash + Thunder Wave + (Rest or Roost or Subst or Toxic)x2 Noctowl. Same here: If you can't score more than 50% of it's HP in one move, (and that is really possible that you cant), youre dead.

I remember loosing Randoms to Gogoats and Noctowls. No, not to enemy teams: but only to Gogoat and Noctowls. Because I couldn't score more than 50% of their HP in one move with any of my Pkmn.

Again, I'm a noob, so Im probably wrong. But on a case study: How should my enemy get past my Gogoat in this Random?

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Why exactly is Gogoat (and Noctowl) a PU??

I remember having a hard time fighting them in randoms.

This time I was lucky enough to get Gogoat myself. I obliterated my enemy with him. Gogoat with no help from other pkmn on its own took down: * A delcatty (PU) * an Uxie (RU) * an Umbreon (UU) * a Zygarde (BL). http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/randombattle-376305435

I might be a noob, but for me, well... Gogoat's bulk paired with decent attack for Horn Leech might make him unkillable. The setting we see on Randoms : Leftovers + Horn Leech + Sub + Leech Seed synergizes extremely well. If you don't have toxic any more and can't do more than 50% HP to Gogoat in one move you're dead. And even if you can, you might still be dead thanks to sub combo.

In this, Gogoat is pretty similar to Air Slash + Thunder Wave + (Rest or Roost or Subst or Toxic)x2 Noctowl. Same here: If you can't score more than 50% of it's HP in one move, (and that is really possible that you cant), youre dead.

I remember loosing Randoms to Gogoats and Noctowls. No, not to enemy teams: but only to Gogoat and Noctowls. Because I couldn't score more than 50% of their HP in one move with any of my Pkmn.

Again, I'm a noob, so Im probably wrong. But on a case study: How should my enemy get past my Gogoat in this Random?
Random Battle is a very different format from the standard tiers so they really can't be compared. The biggest thing to note here is that lower-tiered pokemon like Gogoat and Noctowl have a higher level in randoms than more viable pokemon like Zygarde and Amoongus. They alter the levels of these pokemon to make the format more balanced and interesting. If every pokemon was level 100, things like Noctowl would be near useless most of the time. Because their levels are higher, they seem to be much stronger than they normally would be.

In the standard tiers, a pokemon's tier is determined by how common it is on the ladders. In the case of Gogoat and Noctowl, they are both so uncommon that they're stuck in PU, the lowest tier. There are many reasons why they aren't very good, but here's just a few that I can think of without doing any research:
  • bad typing (Normal/Flying and pure Grass are both pretty bad defensive typings)
  • weak stats (they have decent bulk, but plenty of other pokemon are far bulkier)
  • poorly suited movepool (Gogoat's movepool is decent as a bulky attacker, but Noctowl doesn't have anything to make it stand out over other bulky Flying types)
  • nearly useless ability (Noctowl's Insomnia isn't going to be used very often. Gogoat's Sap Sipper is alright, but there are better abilities)

Hey, so recently I've created a YouTube account based largely around Pokemon battles, and on Pokemon Showdown. However, I've recently begun wondering on if I'm allowed to record on the site, and if I am, what the restrictions are on doing so, if any. I tried searching, but could find no official confirmation on if it is open source, and I also found nothing explicitly stating that people were allowed to record their battles and upload them onto YouTube.

Really, I'm hoping for someone to show me a link that either officially states that Pokemon Showdown is open source, or that explicitly allows people to upload videos on it under certain conditions, or if certain criteria is met. Thank you!

Sobi

Banned deucer.
Hey, so recently I've created a YouTube account based largely around Pokemon battles, and on Pokemon Showdown. However, I've recently begun wondering on if I'm allowed to record on the site, and if I am, what the restrictions are on doing so, if any. I tried searching, but could find no official confirmation on if it is open source, and I also found nothing explicitly stating that people were allowed to record their battles and upload them onto YouTube.

Really, I'm hoping for someone to show me a link that either officially states that Pokemon Showdown is open source, or that explicitly allows people to upload videos on it under certain conditions, or if certain criteria is met. Thank you!
You are definitely allowed to record Pokémon Showdown, I'm not sure why you wouldn't be allowed to. I'm not aware of any source proving this though, so perhaps a mods from PS could clarify?

In this link: http://pokemonshowdown.com/contact

Mini-FAQ:

Do I have permission to post videos/screenshots of PS on YouTube or other sites?
Yes, feel free.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
As the FAQ states, yes, you are allowed to record matches on PS! to use them in other sites.

Merged the thread with this one. Please post here next time :)

The biggest thing to note here is that lower-tiered pokemon like Gogoat and Noctowl have a higher level in randoms than more viable pokemon like Zygarde and Amoongus. They alter the levels of these pokemon to make the format more balanced and interesting.
Ah, so that's why in Randoms Farfetch'd can actually kill things, while Mewtwo's attacks seem underwhelming?

But, if I may, I have some other pkmn that are PUs and I dont get why...

Slaking. Yes, his Truant sucks. But Slaking is also an extremely viable revenge killer, thanks to his awesome Attack and Speed. Just teach him Retaliate and know you'll be able to revenge kill most pkmn there. Yes, you'll have to switch out after that, but tbh, you often need to switch out after killing things quite often anyway.

Tropius. Another wall, this time Sitrus Berry abuser. His bulk paired with the Sitrus Berry + Harvest combo and flinches from Air slash can, again, make him unkillable

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Ah, so that's why in Randoms Farfetch'd can actually kill things, while Mewtwo's attacks seem underwhelming?

But, if I may, I have some other pkmn that are PUs and I dont get why...

Slaking. Yes, his Truant sucks. But Slaking is also an extremely viable revenge killer, thanks to his awesome Attack and Speed. Just teach him Retaliate and know you'll be able to revenge kill most pkmn there. Yes, you'll have to switch out after that, but tbh, you often need to switch out after killing things quite often anyway.

Tropius. Another wall, this time Sitrus Berry abuser. His bulk paired with the Sitrus Berry + Harvest combo and flinches from Air slash can, again, make him unkillable
Slaking is completely walled by anything with Protect and it's very easy to predict that it will use Retaliate or Giga Impact and simply switch in a Ghost type. Truant is a horrid ability that prevents it from being useful even in PU.

Tropius is far from unkillable for many reasons, but the most important one is that Grass/Flying is an awful defensive typing. Also, Air Slash only has a 30% chance to flinch and that's only if Tropius moves first, which usually won't happen considering how slow it is.

If you're curious about any other pokemon and why they're ranked the way they are, I recommend looking here: http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/

That's a list of every pokemon with links to any analyses that have been written on them. Many of the analyses are a little outdated, but you can still get an idea for why each pokemon is in a particular tier by comparing them to other pokemon in higher tiers.

Hiya there, I have 2 questions:

1. There is a subforum for the Random Battle tier? or at least some thread where I can suggest modifications to pokemon sets?

2. The Showdown news says:
The teambuilder now minimizes Attack IVs on Pokémon that don't run physical moves (while maintaining the type of the move Hidden Power, if present). This has been the default on Smogon's recommended movesets for a while, as it reduces the damage taken from Foul Play and confusion. Trick Room and Gyro Ball behave similarly, but minimize Speed IVs instead.

Exceptions: Foul Play (which doesn't use your own Attack stat) and Rapid Spin (which doesn't deal enough damage to count if it's the only physical move used). Metronome will also count as having a physical move.
Where can I suggest than a pokemon using Beat Up need all its partners with max Atk IVs as well?. It happen to me in a battle, where weavile normally kills mewtwo, but it didnt because venusaur got its IVs reduced. Maybe is a niche thing, but whatever..

Sobi

Banned deucer.
Hiya there, I have 2 questions:

1. There is a subforum for the Random Battle tier? or at least some thread where I can suggest modifications to pokemon sets?

2. The Showdown news says:

Where can I suggest than a pokemon using Beat Up need all its partners with max Atk IVs as well?. It happen to me in a battle, where weavile normally kills mewtwo, but it didnt because venusaur got its IVs reduced. Maybe is a niche thing, but whatever..
hi
  1. no there isn't a subforum--the sets generated are all random and are from https://github.com/Zarel/Pokemon-Showdown/blob/master/data/formats-data.js
  2. that's possible but if the pokemon is a special attacker [eg: gardevoir] and it needs minimum attack ivs to reduce foul play and confusion damage, it beomes a bit of a problem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)