Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next year you may travel with hotel included is delivered to the 4 best players from each European country? it's great
Yes:
Thats what Liesk said when we were quesioning him. He also said There will only be 4 players from each nats. So top4 gets payed trips, and t5-8 don't even get a invite. I don't know if this applies to every nats though.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Thinking about making a Dunsparce-based team just for fun and for annoying everone with massive Rock Slide flinch hax. Should I use Adamant or Jolly (with Tailwind support)?

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
No, because there are no tiers for it. Either something is allowed or it isn't, and Nintendo sets the banlist.
Tiering is just the ranking of Pokemon in relation to one another. Just because the Singles part of the website uses the term incorrectly doesn't mean we have to! In any case, no, nobody has made a tier list for VGC and I don't think it's really going to be something we do. There hasn't been a huge interest in it. I think people would rather just play the game. If you'd like to see usage stats:

http://pastebin.com/zXfSCMV8

That's for the SkarmBliss VGC Server. Keep in mind that Regionals probably so very different usage. Hopefully TPCi releases those like they did last year.

last year we tried to make tier lists and it went really poorly haha

you can only judge what you will see by preparing for everything, po is not real life when it comes down to it.

I have been looking for this section, This IS the "Ask a simple Q, get a simple Ans." thread yes? Ok well to reiterate from what I had posted in the wrong thread previously. I would like to know the following :

For Gen V are the methods of calculating IVs the same as the previous gens?
i.e the old minimum stat : a + 5
max stat : a + 6, if b is between 0 - 4
max stat : a + 7, if b is between 5 - 9
where a = the first digit(s) of the base state without the last number
e.g excadrill : BST for Atk : 135 a = 13 b = 5
min stat: a + 5 = 13 + 5 = 18
max stat: a + 7 = 13 + 7 = 20
are these calculations still valid? I find it a hassle to hatch a pokemon and have to level it up and check an IV calculator.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
I have been looking for this section, This IS the "Ask a simple Q, get a simple Ans." thread yes? Ok well to reiterate from what I had posted in the wrong thread previously. I would like to know the following :

For Gen V are the methods of calculating IVs the same as the previous gens?
i.e the old minimum stat : a + 5
max stat : a + 6, if b is between 0 - 4
max stat : a + 7, if b is between 5 - 9
where a = the first digit(s) of the base state without the last number
e.g excadrill : BST for Atk : 135 a = 13 b = 5
min stat: a + 5 = 13 + 5 = 18
max stat: a + 7 = 13 + 7 = 20
are these calculations still valid? I find it a hassle to hatch a pokemon and have to level it up and check an IV calculator.
You are in the right thread. IVs work the same way in Gen 3, Gen 4 and Gen 5. Your calculations are still correct. However, when you hatch a Pokemon from a egg it's now Lv1 not Lv5 (this is the same as in Gen 4). You can barely tell anything at Lv1 so you'll need to use some Rare Candies to get the Pokemon to Lv5.

You are in the right thread. IVs work the same way in Gen 3, Gen 4 and Gen 5. Your calculations are still correct. However, when you hatch a Pokemon from a egg it's now Lv1 not Lv5 (this is the same as in Gen 4). You can barely tell anything at Lv1 so you'll need to use some Rare Candies to get the Pokemon to Lv5.
yeah I figured I'd just use the Day care since they don't earn EVs there and lvl up to 5 faster in my opinion

I'm currently eving a lanturn, and noticed its defense is pretty lacking. Should I ev 252hp, 252sp.atk, or 252def,252sp.atk, or even 252hp,252def?

Suggestions?

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Definitely 252 SpA, because bulk is useless if you can't do anything with it. Then 36 HP/180 Def/36 SpD gives the best overall defenses, with 4 left over to put in I guess Speed or something.

I've been wondering where to locate speed EVs for ev training my pokemo; I'm starting to find bulbapedia as less reliable for Gen V, but it has helped me find Atk. Evs for the most part, i just question whether or not I'm training with the right pokemon.
I read on Bulbapedia that both Blitzle and Purrloin give 1 Speed EV, but now I'm starting to believe that only Blitzles give speed EVs, any suggestions on where else to train for speed evs? ( I don't want to train w/ basculins, because most of them are too strong)

Pretty much you can fly to straiton(?) city and surf in the water. You'll find like Level 7 Basculin and they give 2 Speed EVs each so it's pretty quick.
wait is 7 the lowest they can go?

and do purrloins also give out Spe EVs too? or just basculins and blitzle (as far as I know for Gen V pokemon)

:O they're actually lowest at route 1??? I thought that they were around 15 ~ 47 at that route cause it's connected closely to route 15 or something

Hi, I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I don't know where else to put it.
I have 2 questions, first if we get imposter ditto, does that mean that if ditto is the female parent that you can get a dream world egg? And the second is, in VGC competitive play, what pokemon best counters Latios, and Zapdos?

Hi, I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I don't know where else to put it.
I have 2 questions, first if we get imposter ditto, does that mean that if ditto is the female parent that you can get a dream world egg? And the second is, in VGC competitive play, what pokemon best counters Latios, and Zapdos?
1. No
2. Tyranitar

Hi, I'm new to the VGC side of Pokemon. Would like to know which team(s), like for example Beat Up Justified, Trick Room teams, has/have been winning or placing very well consistently in tournaments (such as vgc regionals) for the vgc 12 metagame?

Is the vgc 12 metagame one whereby all pokemon in national dex can be used, except ubers?

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
Hi, I'm new to the VGC side of Pokemon. Would like to know which team(s), like for example Beat Up Justified, Trick Room teams, has/have been winning or placing very well consistently in tournaments (such as vgc regionals) for the vgc 12 metagame?

Is the vgc 12 metagame one whereby all pokemon in national dex can be used, except ubers?
Rules can be found here http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3455193

As far as the Metagame goes, it can go anyway. Just base your team off of any idea and test and tweak that idea until you can you use it the way you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)