Ask simple questions here! [READ ORIGINAL POST before posting]

Hey brand new to this so sorry if i come off as a complete noob. I cant seem to login to showdown it says my name is registered but always says my password is wrong, I have checked and changed my password a few times so I know its not me screwing up. Please Help!

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
If you're trying to use the name joner, the name has been in use since June 30 of 2014. You aren't changing your password - the system is telling you that the pass is wrong and you are trying to enter a pass that you think is right.

A Smogon account and a Showdown account aren't connected together, sadly, so you're going to have to pick a different name until PS! doesn't give you a login screen (a name that's already taken). After you pick a name that's available, you can set a password by clicking the gear icon in the top right and selecting "Register".

If you're trying to use the name joner, the name has been in use since June 30 of 2014. You aren't changing your password - the system is telling you that the pass is wrong and you are trying to enter a pass that you think is right.

A Smogon account and a Showdown account aren't connected together, sadly, so you're going to have to pick a different name until PS! doesn't give you a login screen (a name that's already taken). After you pick a name that's available, you can set a password by clicking the gear icon in the top right and selecting "Register".
Thanks man!

I want to change the folder for all my teams on the Mac client, but admin permissions prevent from editing data on said folder without an admin's password, which I do not have.

I'm struggling quite a bit with how to fix this problem, as it will not allow me to delete the folder or anything else. It's also rather dumb, because this is MY folder on MY account that I created and it is the only folder that does this.

Please help.

Raven

Esto es el fin.
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Those are admin permissions on your computer, not smogon / PS admins.

If it's a family computer, that will probably be one of your parents.

Also, if you move the folder, the client may not be able to find it. You're still better off just editing your teams through the teambuilder if you're using the downloaded client.

temp

legacy
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Will Sludge Bomb be added to Zoroark's movepool on PS?

It is an event move that was just added as of recent.

Raven

Esto es el fin.
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Probably in 3-5 days time; whenever we need to do maintenance that requires it.
(They aren't scheduled far in advance, but happen regularly enough)

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Will Sludge Bomb be added to Zoroark's movepool on PS?

It is an event move that was just added as of recent.
It's already usable, just ignore that the client tells you it's illegal and use it anyway. The teambuilder display will be updated later.

Small coding question: how would I change Rough Skin so its recoil damage is based on damage dealt (like double-edge), rather than just a fixed percentage?

Code:
"roughskin": {
onAfterDamageOrder: 1,
onAfterDamage: function (damage, target, source, move) {
if (source && source !== target && move && move.flags['contact']) {
this.damage(source.maxhp / 8, source, target, null, true);
}

Were the battle screen dimensions changed? I've been noticing that the opposing Pokemon's information box occasionally is presented below them. It's a bit clunky to me, but unless a lot of people really don't like it I suppose it isn't necessarily a problem. Just curious.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Small coding question: how would I change Rough Skin so its recoil damage is based on damage dealt (like double-edge), rather than just a fixed percentage?
Just change `source.maxhp` to `damage` and divide it by whatever you like.
Were the battle screen dimensions changed? I've been noticing that the opposing Pokemon's information box occasionally is presented below them. It's a bit clunky to me, but unless a lot of people really don't like it I suppose it isn't necessarily a problem. Just curious.
Flipping tooltips is done only for those that would otherwise get the top cut off above the screen, so they're as readable as possible.
Bump again? I'd really like some help with this...
Follow these instructions.

Tryna post a core, and i've been searching everywhere for an animated BW sprite of M-Pinsir .-.
Anyone know where i can find the mega BW sprites?

edit: huge thanks to gamut for solving this!!

back with another coding question. this one slightly more complicated than the last one (which i'm embarrassed i didn't just figure out on my own!)

I'm trying to make torment last for 5 turns, during which the opponent can't use the same move twice in a row, even if they switch Pokemon. Anyone know how to do this?

Code:
    "torment": {
        volatileStatus: 'torment',
        effect: {
            onStart: function (pokemon) {
                this.add('-start', pokemon, 'Torment');
            },
            onEnd: function (pokemon) {
                this.add('-end', pokemon, 'Torment');
            },
            onDisableMove: function (pokemon) {
                if (pokemon.lastMove !== 'struggle') pokemon.disableMove(pokemon.lastMove);
            }
        },
        secondary: false,
        target: "normal",
        type: "Dark"
    },

Last edited:
We have Rate My Team forums for a lot of metagames, but where would I post a team that falls into Other Metagames? (It's monotype, to be specific.)

Hey guys. I'm not new to Pokémon Showdown and the Suggestions thread is closed (for me), but I have a suggestion. Wouldn't it be a good idea to make PS a downloadable game with CPU trainers in order to practice whenever there is no internet around? I have no internet at my place and I was wondering if you guys can make this for anybody else in my situation or simply to test these CPU suckers out. I know not having internet is my problem and that I should go rant about it somewhere else, but it's just a suggestion I had and I wanted somebody to hear it. I know the Damage Calculator functions even though there is no internet around, so if that works, why can't PS work the same way but with CPU trainers instead? If that's not possible, I also thought of it being a downloadable game, as how I've already said it. Thanks for reading my message and I hope you have a good day.

You should buy Pokemon Stadium (gen 1) or Pokemon Battle Revolution (gen 4), since Pokemon Showdown is basically an online version of those games.

Here's my question: Where's the list of what each of the battle formats means? You'd think it would be on the front page of Pokemon Showdown.

bobochan

slow mo my bobo
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Here's my question: Where's the list of what each of the battle formats means? You'd think it would be on the front page of Pokemon Showdown.
There's no list but you can use the site here:
http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/
Click "Search" then type in the format you want to find out more about and it'll provide a decent amount of info.
Be aware that some formats don't have descriptions, such as Challenge Cup 1v1 and Hackmons Cup.

For even more brief descriptions, you can use the /tier (format) command on Showdown.
For example: Typing "/tier monotype" in chat gives you All Pokémon on a team must share a type.

Reisen

Translations Project Creator
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You should buy Pokemon Stadium (gen 1) or Pokemon Battle Revolution (gen 4), since Pokemon Showdown is basically an online version of those games.

Hello LockeZ

You could find what you are looking for by clicking on this link this is the 3rd link available by using the /intro command on the sim.

Every official format are explained here, also if you need explanations about the othermetagames, you can use the command /om all

Reisen

Translations Project Creator
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
PS! main server is down for the moment.

EDIT: It is back.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 13)