Some thoughts on the new Pokémon and moves USUM will bring:
- Blacephalon has the highest special attack of all fire-types, and also has one of the strongest Moongeist Beams availablle - but it is damn frail, so that it can't take even weak super-effective hits like Solgaleo's Knock Off. Also, fire isn't a good offensive typing in the current meta, as there are so many fire resists around, while the only notable mons being hit super-effecitvely are steel types which aren't going to stay in anyways. In terms of an offensive ghost-type, it is completely outclassed by Gengar, which has better speed, bulk and special attack.
- However, its signature move Mind Blown is actually interesting. It is a nice alternative over Flare Blitz for Magic Guard users, namely Diancie-Mega. Also, it gives Specs Psychic Surge MMY a chance of OHKOing its most popular check, Solgaleo, after hazard damage, which actually is huge, considering that Solgaleo shruggs off Moongeist Beams and weaker fire-type moves with ease, while Blue Flare has shaky accuracy and a miss allows Solgaleo to cripple MMY forever with Nuzzle or Knock Off: 252+ SpA Choice Specs Mewtwo-Mega-Y Mind Blown vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Solgaleo: 378-446 (79.2 - 93.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes However, the recoil hurts a lot, especially when you miss the prediction and fire it into a fire-resisting mon.
- Stakataka just sucks in BH. It looks promising as a Steelworker abuser in AAA Trick Room teams 'cause of Gyro Ball, but as Trick Room is not viable and the bulk level in general is way higher in BH, it has, in my opinion, no future here. Also, it is outclassed by Steelix-Mega and Aggrom-Mega as a defensive steel-type.
- Naganadel also doesn't look like it's going to have a good time in BH, as it is outclassed by Gengar-Mega in all ways.
- Zeraora has only one thing and that is speed. Its offensive stats are pretty weak, so that it won't do a lot of damage, even after setting up with Swords Dance or Shell Smash. Might work as a fast pivot and terrain setter for electric terrain teams, but Manectric is obviously more powerful.
- Also, its signature move Plasma Fists doesn't offer anything special over existing moves such as Fusion Bolt and Bolt Strikes. The secondary effect is kinda useless, as the only mons using normal-typed moves are -ate users which out-prioritize Plasma Fists with FakeSpeed anyways and Regigigas, which outspeeds everything after a sinlge Shift Gear.
- Dusk Mane Necrozma is outclassed as a RegenVest pivot by the regular Sogaleo due to the latter having better bulk. The 20 points difference in attack don't matter much, Dusk Mane only does slightly more damage, which is irrelevant for a supporter. The lower speed on the other hand is an advantage for Dusk Mane when it comes to pivoting with Ú-turn, so it might see some use over the regular Solgaleo - especially when some players are so obsessed with slow-er U-turns that they run Level 98 Audinos and Registeels... ;)
- Dawn Wings Necrozma is a worse Lunala. And Lunala itself is bad.
- Ultra Necrozma looks interesting. Its stat spread resembles Rayquaza-Mega's, with slightly lower offense stats and higher speed, and it faces the same fate as the green snake - its STABs are walled by Steel types. However, it has no double weakness and can abuse Psychic Terrain - which is especially nice for Shell Smash sets, as it not only has a boosted Stored Power, but also is immune to priority moves. The main difference from MMX's and MMY's Smash sets is that it has equally high offenses, so that it can go mxied without drawbacks and use combinations of Moongeist Beam, Sunsteel Strike, Stored Power, Power Trip, Dragon STAB and other coverage moves freely without having some of them coming off a lower stat. It also doesn't need to run the terrain by itself, it can use abilities such as Simple to boost its stats even higher or Unburden with a Dragon-type move to be self-imposterproof.
Another option is Contrary, as it gets STAB on both Psycho Boost and Draco Meteor to boost its SpA with and can run Overheat or V-create to smack non-Flash Fire steels.
- Necrozma's Signature move Photon Geysir looks nice as it finally is a good Psychic move for physical attackers, especially because it is like a reverse Psystrike for them, but sadly Psychic is not a great offensive typing, with Gengar and Beedrill being the only mons which are used in BH and weak to it. I thought about using it on a Belly Drum set to hit physical walls harder, but as Sunsteel Strike exists, which ignores abilities like Fur Coat and should be run on every Drummer, running Photon Geysir doesn't make sense; running STAB or coverage moves to hit problematic mons like Zygarde-Complete supereffectively is almost always the better choice. The only niche I can see for this move is giving Choice Band Psychic Surge MMX a terrain-boosted STAB better than Zen Missbutt.
- The Neuroforce ability doesn't seem too promising in BH, considering that other abilities provide higher boosts for the moves they boost.