Baton Pass Team

Now I know what you're all thinking: "What? A Baton Passing team? I thought those died out years ago." If that were to be the case, then I suppose you could say that I'm bringing it back to life.
Anyone who has ever messed around with a Baton Passing team can back me up when I say that they can be challenging to create and play with. But on the same token, they can be extremely fun and rewarding. I mean, how awesome is it when you sweep and entire person's team with, say, a Delcatty? Very awesome.
Of course, it takes some experience in these kinds of things before you can destroy entire teams with Magikarp and Feebas. And that is why I have created this thread - to get help and feedback from people far more experienced and knowledgeable than me. So, without further ado, here is my current Baton Passing team:

Xatu @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Speed, 128 Def, 128 SpDef
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
~ Reflect
~ Light Screen
~ Lucky Chant (could replace this with something)
~ Tailwind

Now you're probably thinking that this is some sort of joke. But there's a method to my madness. You see, Xatu's main role is to die. It's the sad truth. What moves I use depend on who my opponent leads with. For example, if they lead with a slow, physical attacker, I set up a reflect. If their lead takes out over half of my health, I use Tailwind to give the rest of my team a good head start. If it does less than half, I set up a Lucky Chant. Just to be on the safe side, you know? Once Xatu goes down, I send in the big guns...

Smeargle @ Focus Sash/Mental Herb (can't decide on this one)
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 Speed, 128 Def, 128 SpDef
~Spore
~Ingrain
~Baton Pass
~Quiver Dance

The idea here is quite simple. Since I will pretty much always have Xatu out to lead, there will be no entry hazards out to break Smeargle's Focus Sash due to Xatu's Magic Bounce Ability. Once Smeargle's out, he puts something to sleep, Quiver Dances, sets up an Ingrain so no one can be phased out, and Baton Pass everything to something else.

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Speed, 88 Def, 168 SpDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpAtk)
~Agility
~Iron Defense
~Baton Pass
~Bullet Punch

Next up is Scizor, my "go to guy". In case one speed boost from Smeargle will not be enough, he can use Agility to ensure that not much outspeeds anything on my team. In addition to this, he also boosts the defenses of my team. Lastly, there's Bullet Punch. A Scizor is not complete without it, and can help take care of threats that come along before I have many stat boosts up. Not much else to say here - just a standard Baton Passing Scizor.

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Spd, 4 Def
~Amnesia
~Substitute
~Psychic
~Baton Pass

Mew's role is to boost up my team's Special Defense with Amnesia and set up a Substitute. Psychic is so it can defend itself and isn't complete Taunt bait. Mew is a newer addition to the team - I used to have Umbreon with Substitute, Wish, Baton Pass, and Feint Attack, but that wasn't as successful as I would want it to have been. However, if I were to replace any Pokemon on my team with something else, it'd be Mew.

Mr. Mime @ Leftovers
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Spd, 4 Def
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
~Taunt
~Baton Pass
~Substitute
~Psychic

The main reason why I have a Mr. Mime on my team is so that I don't have to worry about Perish Song. Really, that's pretty much it. Sure it seems like a pretty situational thing, but these days everyone and their mothers are using Politoed with Perish Song, so I suppose I really need to keep Mr. Mime. Taunt is to help prevent other people from setting up on me - which happens a lot.

"Alien" the Espeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Def, 252 Spd, 4 HP
~Calm Mind
~Stored Power
~Hidden Power Fighting
~Baton Pass

Here we are, the end of the chain. Espeon really is a Baton Passing team's best friend, especially with Stored Power, which can 2HKO things that 4x resist it after a decent amount of boosts. Hidden Power Fighting is only there so I can kill Dark types that are immune to Stored Power. Calm Mind is there just in case I don't have all the boosts I would want. Baton Pass is there so if I'm in trouble I can Baton Pass out into someone healthy and try to get rid of the problem. Also, I can always Baton Pass in to Espeon before getting many boosts to bounce back any entry hazards, taunts, etc. that anyone would want to hinder my team with.

Threats:
Hoo boy, I'm not really good and picking out specific threats. However, I do know some basic things that are hard for me to go up against. Sandstorm and Hail teams break the sashes of both my Xatu and my Smeargle, so they're no fun to be up against. Things that set up on my Xatu, especially with Substitute, also are a major annoyance. If only Xatu learned Whirlwind..

Alright, that should pretty much rap everything up. Thank you for reading, and I'd really appreciate if you took the time to give some feedback on this team - I spent a long time making this thread.
And for those of you wondering what it looks like when a Baton Pass chain is broken, it looks something like this:

The team would be fun to use when it worked but isn't viable to ladder with. There are so many little things that could go wrong for a loss. Any prankster user with taunt ends this pretty quick, so does any team that uses their own magic bounce user to switch in on the smeargle spore. Or any team that uses trick or thunder wave. Baton pass teams are fun but are considered gimmicky for a reason

The team would be fun to use when it worked but isn't viable to ladder with. There are so many little things that could go wrong for a loss. Any prankster user with taunt ends this pretty quick, so does any team that uses their own magic bounce user to switch in on the smeargle spore. Or any team that uses trick or thunder wave. Baton pass teams are fun but are considered gimmicky for a reason
Yeah, the lack of substitute on many of his pokemon make his team vulnerable to a range of different effects, and not just the uncommon priority taunt.

Hey nice to see someone using a baton pass team on here.

I have to say it is alarming you are using 4 psychics on one team. That's a serious serious problem since any fast dark type such as weavile can shut this team down pretty quick. Also aside from scizor, terrakion would only need to click x scissor to kill almost your entire team.

From a guy who use to run baton pass switch out xatu for tornadus I. tornadus I has prankster taunt so it can fulfill what xatu's job was any way. Plus, can be used as the more dedicated recipient, or set up tail wind and die.

I have to say good luck with this team. Baton pass is far from being a gimmick and I hope you can prove it.

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Very standard Baton Pass team, but i'll still try to rate it.

Really only thing that you should use is Calm Mind on Mr.Mime to give you a last chance set up or whatever if Smeargle happens to go down. I would also suggest running Vaporeon over Xatu, providing you a Fire Resitance, which stops Heatran or whatever taking you out before you even begin.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers | Water Absorb
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Baton Pass
- Acid Armor
- Substitute
- Scald

Good luck!

Hello, nice team, must be fun to use.
For those who think it's too "gimmick", I'm currently arround #70 on PS OU ladder (nickname : Silvos 42) with a very similar team (Baton Pass that takes lots of time to set up).

But I think your team can be improved a bit.

Two main problems :
- 4 psychics, that's terrible, your balance is not good. Try to avoid using Xatu, I support the suggestion (and the set) of Vaporeon, who is a really nice defensive pivot, and provides really good subs.
- You really lack offensive options. If Espeon is dead, then you can forfeit. You just have five offensive slots, and among them three psychic (really poor attacking type).

So I would make two other suggestions :

- Try to use this Gliscor insted of Scizor

Gliscor (M) @ Toxik Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Atk / 200 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Baton Pass
- Earthquake
- Rock Polish
- Ice Fang

First of all, a status absorber is always precious. Then he is quicker than Scizor, so he doesn't need lots of investment to outspeed many things at +2. So you can make him bulky with lots of defense.
With this attack, you can 2 KO most of offensive Dragonite, which is more than usefull (because at the moment Dragonite and other dragons are a huge threat, as most of them use a fire attack). You will keep the bug resistance, that is usefull to switch on a predicted u-turn. And you can threaten Heatran, Terrakion, and many other annoying monsters. And having a "double leftovers" to heal is nice too.

And then, my favorite set for Mew in BW baton pass :
Mew @ leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Atk / 100 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Baton Pass
- Flame Charge
- Drain Punch
- Bulk Up

First of all, no one expects that, always usefull. And you have an amazing lure to Tyranitar, Scizor, Genesect, which are all annoying for your team. He is especially good against sand teams, sometimes he kills them alone. He is also really nice to start a new chain when you lose a pokemon at the middle of the game. Flame charge is a really underrated move, won't be very powerfull but always nice against *4 weaknesses (Foretress, Scizor, Genesects, Ferrothorn, Abomasnow...). You would have a second mon' to provide defense, and Gliscor would enjoy a bit of attack to become a real threat.

Another hint : calm mind is nice for M.mime, but you can also try thunderbolt instead of psychic. You need to kill Politoed quickly, you can threaten Vaporeon (after a few CM), and destroy Gyarados (the defensive one is a huge threat if he has taunt and roar).

Good luck with your team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)