Battle Spot - Simple Questions and Answers

It was kind of a gimmick idea. I was hoping it could be a thing, but Ilol just stay away from it and not ask dumb stuff lol. A while ago I was calling with Cresselia after SpA boosts, for Charge Beam, and I think damage output at even +6 was fairly disappointing, but I'll check again.

+1 252+ SpA Cresselia Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 142-168 (77.1 - 91.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252+ SpA Cresselia Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Kangaskhan: 83-98 (45.8 - 54.1%) -- 53.1% chance to 2HKO

+1 252+ SpA Cresselia Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Gengar: 134-158 (98.5 - 116.1%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

+1 252+ SpA Cresselia Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gengar: 134-158 (80.2 - 94.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252+ SpA Cresselia Shadow Ball vs. 44 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 71-84 (44.6 - 52.8%) -- 24.6% chance to 2HKO

+5 252+ SpA Cresselia Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 136-161 (86.6 - 102.5%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

The calcs definitely prove CM doesn't work at all. Obviously I know Cress is not an offensive behemoth, but it's crazy that even with a lot of boosts she's weak. That last calc with Rotom-W really drives the point home. On the one hand, if I were to succeed in BPing her at least a single Iron Defense I could almost assuredly boost up safely on the foe and stay healthy with Moonlight, but on the other it really only takes one Mon with Toxic to end her "sweep."
As a general rule, it is best to boost or invest in a stat the pokemon already has a high value for.

As a general rule, it is best to boost or invest in a stat the pokemon already has a high value for.
True, was thinking more about my CM Cress idea and think Rest/ CM/ Moonblast/ Shadow Ball might work, but not completely sure. Lots of people think about different sets, and judging from CM's low usage on Cress I doubt I've stumbled upon a gold mine, but I can't see too many problems with it. A Chesto Berry gives you a one time get-out-of-Toxic free card, and if you have CM boosts and at least one Iron Def from Scoli you should be able to wait out the rest turns, not to mention PP stall. Biggest issue I see here is that Scoli has to get up a ID to begin with, though that kind of problem is always present with a BP strategy.

Cress' power is pretty low, but the perfect neutral coverage sorta offsets this. Other problems are physical boosting Pokes, Suicune, Nasty Plot users if you haven't set up already, phazers(except those that really on Yawn for pseudo-phasing,) things that wipe stat boosts(I.e. Clear Smog and Haze,) Psych Up users(not really a thing though,) Power Trick Shuckle(this pretty much doesn't even count though,) and anything else like Suicune that can PP stall-maybe Dusclops?

Anyways, I think it's viable for a gimmick, though more feedback is Ofc appreciated. On a separate note, would anyone consider BPing to a non-CM Cress with anything, particularly Scoli with Iron Def?

I went to the pokemon global link to check my ranking since I had just broken 1700 but I'm no longer there! I have no idea why I have been removed because I haven't used any hacked pokemon for sure since I bred them myself except for the wobbuffet which I got from theorymon. I can play games on cart and it doesn't say anything about me being banned but I've just disappeared from the leaderboard. Has this happened to anyone before because this is really disappointing and frustrating :( ?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I went to the pokemon global link to check my ranking since I had just broken 1700 but I'm no longer there! I have no idea why I have been removed because I haven't used any hacked pokemon for sure since I bred them myself except for the wobbuffet which I got from theorymon. I can play games on cart and it doesn't say anything about me being banned but I've just disappeared from the leaderboard. Has this happened to anyone before because this is really disappointing and frustrating :( ?
This might sound silly, but are you sure you're logged in? If you leave the page on idle for (I think) 30 minutes it logs you out and obviously won't show your ranking.

If that isn't the case, go to your profile (instead of looking at the ladder) and it should have your rank in there.

If it's not there then I dunno... Does it show your ranking in-game before you battle?

This might sound silly, but are you sure you're logged in? If you leave the page on idle for (I think) 30 minutes it logs you out and obviously won't show your ranking.

If that isn't the case, go to your profile (instead of looking at the ladder) and it should have your rank in there.

If it's not there then I dunno... Does it show your ranking in-game before you battle?
I did go to my profile and it says that I haven't played any game which is weird. Ingame, it does show my ranking but I think I know what happened. After visiting some different sites, I am convinced that it has been temporarily removed due to a lot of disconnects on my opponents' part. Apparently, this messes up the pgl and your rankings are removed temporarily until the next update. I have no idea why people disconnect when they are about to lose. Just to be safe, I have also filed a complaint on their support page so I'm sure everything should be fine. Hopefully, they don't reset my rating because that would just be frustrating.

EDIT: Okay after the update, I am back on the ladder but for some reason I have dropped to 1689. Oh well, it's better than starting all over from the beginning anyways.

Last edited:
I did go to my profile and it says that I haven't played any game which is weird. Ingame, it does show my ranking but I think I know what happened. After visiting some different sites, I am convinced that it has been temporarily removed due to a lot of disconnects on my opponents' part. Apparently, this messes up the pgl and your rankings are removed temporarily until the next update. I have no idea why people disconnect when they are about to lose. Just to be safe, I have also filed a complaint on their support page so I'm sure everything should be fine. Hopefully, they don't reset my rating because that would just be frustrating.

EDIT: Okay after the update, I am back on the ladder but for some reason I have dropped to 1689. Oh well, it's better than starting all over from the beginning anyways.
Nice! Breaking 1700 feels so good :) What is your team and how much experience do you have with it?

Nice! Breaking 1700 feels so good :) What is your team and how much experience do you have with it?
Yeah it feels really good! Hopefully I can break 1800 as well and I've been using this team since the beginning of the season. I made it on showdown and practiced with for a couple of days till I broke 1600 on PS!. My team is basically mawile-m, p2, breloom, t-flame, wobbuffet and m-gengar. Unfortunately, I've dropped to 1660 at the moment purely due to hax (2 games straight i missed play rough -_-) but it's a part of pokemon so I shouldn't complain lol.

I'm surprised Smeargle is number 125 in usage, only on .3% of teams. I feel like it used to be more common, and that was before Moody was introduced. With Moody it seems like it should be a lot more common. What are the best moves to run on Smeargle? I ran Parting Shot/ Spore/ Swircheroo/ King's Shield in the Battle Maison with a Choice Scarf and that was pretty good, but surprisingly Parting Shot isn't in the top 20 moves. I had Foul Play over King's Shield at one point to actually have a chance at dealing damage, and that was pretty good as well.

So I saw a post in OU about a Jirachi Hydreigon core. The idea got my attention as I've been keen to raise a Deino with Head Smash anyway.

The logical idea is to sub in Metagross for Jirachi. From there I'm a little lost on best partners. I believe Talonflame to be ideal but which set? I've got a Naughty one that I could hatch as I feel a mixed/ support set with Overheat could be interesting.

That could leave Gross to be Megagross which is fine. Beyond that I think I need support for what would be 3 wallbreakers. I feel like Sand would be really helpful.

It's here where my metagame knowledge and confidence suffers. Any help?

Last edited:

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
So I saw a post in OU about a Jirachi Hydreigon core. The idea got my attention as I've been keen to raise a Deino with Head Smash anyway.

The logical idea is to sub in Metagross for Jirachi. From there I'm a little lost on best partners. I believe Talonflame to be ideal but which set? I've got a Naughty one that I could hatch as I feel a mixed/ support set with Overheat could be interesting.

That could leave Gross to be Megagross which is fine. Beyond that I think I need support for what would be 3 wallbreakers. I feel like Sand would be really helpful.

It's here where my metagame knowledge and confidence suffers. Any help?
Mega Metagross + Hydreigon is a very good core and honestly the best things to pair Metagross with (it was also the partner of choice for Metagross in VGC15 too). Hydreigon can handle Rotom-W, Aegislash and Cresselia fairly well which Metagross hates. Some of the biggest issues for that duo are Blaziken and especially Greninja so something that can handle those two would be ideal. Talonflame can definitely do that though Focus Sash Greninja and the occasional Water Shuriken Greninja can be problematic, and it doesn't give you particularly good switches into it either. As usual, Thundurus is potentially obnoxious though Hydreigon can still KO it at the cost of being Thunder Waved (though Focus Blast exists). Rotom-W is another good partner for both of those two that can handle Greninja and Blaziken, though Rotom-W takes huge damage from Blaziken so it has to be careful against that. Rotom-H checks Thundurus better as well, but at the cost of being weak to Greninja. Conkeldurr is an incredibly solid check to both Greninja and Thundurus so you could look into that as well, though Blaziken does huge damage to it.

Hydreigon, Talonflame and Rotom-W are all among Metagross's top 5 teammates so you can definitely trust those four together, at any rate.

Mega Gyarados (M) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Can anyone suggests me a good pokemon to form a decent offensive core with this Gyarados? Choice Band Scizor instantly comes to mind but i would like other ideas. I was thinking Nidoking, although it seems a bit un-optimal lol.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...t-statistics-never-use-the-pgl-again.3564009/

According to the website on this page, the top ten teammates are
Garchompdetails for Garchomp
Ferrothorndetails for Ferrothorn
Gengardetails for Gengar
Mawiledetails for Mawile
Aegislashdetails for Aegislash
Blazikendetails for Blaziken
Sylveondetails for Sylveon
Mamoswinedetails for Mamoswine
Talonflamedetails for Talonflame
Rotom-Hdetails for Rotom-H

A lot of very strong attackers on this list. Fire types are popular as are Steel & Fairy types, most likely to form FWG and Fantasy cores respectively.

Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Can anyone suggests me a good pokemon to form a decent offensive core with this Gyarados? Choice Band Scizor instantly comes to mind but i would like other ideas. I was thinking Nidoking, although it seems a bit un-optimal lol.
Probably stupid but what came to mind is Klefki. They synergizes pretty well, and Klef can ease set up with screens.

Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Singles? Doubles? Rotataions? Triples?

Personally, I blundered into Metagross + Gyarados as a double Mega core; I didn't run it long or really build the team around it, but they had pretty impressive synergy. Both function non-Mega, so you can always bring both, and non-mega Gyara covers Ground/Fire for Mega Gross; or, Metagross demolishes Fairy and Fighting for Mega Gyarados, while Mega Gyara handles Fire / Dark / Ghost with ease and can intially switch into Ground moves for Metagross too. This was in Doubles, but I'd bet it has some merit in Singles as well. Non mega Metagross does still handle Mega Gardevoir, Sylveon, Conkeldurp (Mega stone helps against Knock Off), etc. while Gyarados can handle Blaziken (while non-mega), Heatran, Slowbro, etc.

Ferrothorn also seems good: Rock / Electric / Fairy / Grass resists, takes on bulky Waters, Fairies, and can walk into Mega Venusaur and toss T-Wave or Sub.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...t-statistics-never-use-the-pgl-again.3564009/

According to the website on this page, the top ten teammates are
Garchompdetails for Garchomp
Ferrothorndetails for Ferrothorn
Gengardetails for Gengar
Mawiledetails for Mawile
Aegislashdetails for Aegislash
Blazikendetails for Blaziken
Sylveondetails for Sylveon
Mamoswinedetails for Mamoswine
Talonflamedetails for Talonflame
Rotom-Hdetails for Rotom-H

A lot of very strong attackers on this list. Fire types are popular as are Steel & Fairy types, most likely to form FWG and Fantasy cores respectively.
Oh, thank you i was really looking for something like this :)

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey all I want to battle someone from here sometime, for fun but also to get advice for my team or playstyle. Anyone interested?
If you drop by our room on Pokemon Showdown (link in my sig; PS!) there's always someone down for a couple friendly matches!

Because moderated chat is set, your account must be at least one week old and you must have won at least one ladder game to speak in this room.

Im getting this message, what should i do or have i done wrong? I never used the chatroom, sorry xd...

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Because moderated chat is set, your account must be at least one week old and you must have won at least one ladder game to speak in this room.

Im getting this message, what should i do or have i done wrong? I never used the chatroom, sorry xd...
Since you didn't have an account before you have to wait a week until you can talk in the room. If you see a name you recognize you can still pm them by clicking on their name and then chat.

Hi guys. I entered Battle Spot current online competition Kanto Classic to be able to receive the Lance Dragonite as prize. Right now I'm at only 5 games played (4-1) it was actually 6 (5-1) but someone DCed and it didnt record as win. Anyways, the global link site shows my match history (4-1) but I can't see my ranking anywhere.. If I click the entry history it shows Kanto Classic but rating and ranking have a "-" so does that mean I'm not ranked yet? How long does it take usually to update? Cause it has been almost 12 hours now so I dunno, my main concern is not receiving the Lance Dragonite :/

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Hi guys. I entered Battle Spot current online competition Kanto Classic to be able to receive the Lance Dragonite as prize. Right now I'm at only 5 games played (4-1) it was actually 6 (5-1) but someone DCed and it didnt record as win. Anyways, the global link site shows my match history (4-1) but I can't see my ranking anywhere.. If I click the entry history it shows Kanto Classic but rating and ranking have a "-" so does that mean I'm not ranked yet? How long does it take usually to update? Cause it has been almost 12 hours now so I dunno, my main concern is not receiving the Lance Dragonite :/
Unfortunately there's no way to check your rating on pgl until after they release rankings. If you really want to know start a battle and hit the power button as soon as you see it.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Like Demantoid said this is normal. Also, that DC will count as a win for you, it just takes a little longer to record than a regular game. If you're doing so well maybe keep playing?

Like Demantoid said this is normal. Also, that DC will count as a win for you, it just takes a little longer to record than a regular game. If you're doing so well maybe keep playing?
OKie thanks!
And I kind of don't want to keep playing because I feel I've been lucky. The one player that defeated me I could see he was a good player, I have experience from past generations but I'm relatively new to 6th gen and didn't even have the chance to breed for good Iv pokemon, they're all poorly trained and rushed just so I could stand a chance. I'd say I only put effort in about 2 mons and these two are the ones that have been carrying me through (Minimize Clefable, not even perfect IVs at all, it was a 2-star clefairy catched using dexnav and bold synchronizer).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 8)