Battle Tree Discussion and Records

What's a good final member that helps beating those fast electric and fire types? I was using chomp but a few round later a rotom-f swept me.
Fat blobs are always good at 'resisting' a variety of types. Definitely a bummer that you can't get Seismic Toss on them yet (at least I think not).

Speaking of, behold one of the worst teams to ever reach 50 in one of these modes. 74QG-WWWW-WWW2-2A7J

Tapu Lele @ Psychium Z
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe (not sure on the speed - may have gotten some random other ones in there)
-Nature's Madness
-Psychic
-Reflect
-Moonblast

Are there better moves to use here? You bet. Does it matter that much when you can OHKO something like a Snorlax with the Psychic Z attack? Ehh, but if we're going to be coming up with good sets for things the only other attacking move I ever found myself wishing I had was Psyshock. Otherwise, this thing can definitely spare a moveslot for Sub or Taunt to shut down all the non-attacking stuff you see or for another Psychic support move (Z-Skill Swap could replenish the terrain, neuter something ability dependent, and give you +1 Speed, for example).

This thing feels like Greninja results-wise even though both do their jobs slightly differently. Against a lot of Pokemon where the strategy with Greninja would be to either go for the pseudo OHKO with a Dark Pulse flinch or to chip it down while taking a resisted hit via Prothean, Tapu Lele has the juice to OHKO a lot with a neutral Psychic (to say nothing more of the Z nuke).

Defensively, the typing and natural special bulk is nice enough (uninvested, it would have survived a non-crit Sludge Bomb from Venusaur in the battle against Red, or it could have just outsped the stupid thing if it had a 31 IV) to at least somewhat mitigate Greninja's speed advantage, especially when you consider how much stuff in the 95-122 base speed range would be set-up bait for Blissey. In maybe the one example of type synergy on this team, it's nice to bring this back when you don't want to risk a Superpower or whatever critting a +6 Evasion Blissey.

Gyarados @ Lum Berry
Nature: Impish
EVs/IVs: random in-game stuff
-Substitute
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Earthquake

With its stats, it was basically just an Intimidate platform and a win condition against all the stuff that has Rest + status or Double Team that would have been able to stall out a non PP-Maxed Blissey. Had a battle around #40 or so where I decided getting to +4 behind a Sub was enough, and then the Swords Dance Leafeon came out and would have counterswept me if one of the Waterfalls hadn't flinched.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
EVs/IVs: tried to do 252 in HP & Defense but I dunno
-Minimize
-Soft-Boiled
-Toxic
-Fire Blast

Why Fire Blast? Just was too lazy to look for the Flamethrower TM. This was my 2nd run with this team; in the 1st one I had Charge Beam and Ice Beam as the last 2 moves, and it ended in a very silly way. 3HAW-WWWW-WWW2-2ADE.

Basically if you use Tapu Lele, you're going to need a very solid plan for Mega Metagross. and there may not be one outside Shedinja if it's getting attack raises/crits/flinches. In my case I almost pulled off a miracle with Blissey not getting crit while Metagross spammed Brick Break and then Bullet Punch for whatever reason. However, between misses and not getting Special Attack boosts, Blissey was only at +2 or SpA by the time it used 9 of its 10 Charge Beam PP to KO Metagross and couldn't break through a CM/Rest Uxie as a result. Probably could have pulled off a struggle war if all my moves had been PP Maxed or just broken through it towards the beginning if Blissey's Special Attack IV was higher than 'decent,' but I'm glad to be through that whole ordeal just in time for the Pokemon/trainer rosters to get posted!

Last edited:
I'm curious to know why you feel a backup setter is so important in doubles. I don't necessarily disagree but it's never been a practice I've followed and I'm interested in your take. I also have not seen other successful grind-worthy TR doubles teams run two setters as it passes on valuable offensive coverage, which is what enables TR teams to end facility battles so quickly.
Im in my way to 25 victories in doubles and you are kinda right. A backup setter is actually not that important. In my 25+ battles i have used a second TR just Once, and with my 4 mons alive and 2 in the other side. So im actuallu considereing removing Slowbro, but have to see what ofensive threat i can use.

Anyway, thanks for that, i think that at this point a coverage offensive threat is better.

Kietharr max speed adamant? or max hp? I think max speed is fine.

Last edited:
NoCheese, can we simply include a screencap with our record like in gen 6? Some people can't upload battle videos due to their internet not being 3DS compatible. Also, I'd like to ask about the length requirement for posting about an ongoing streak, seeing as nobody will have a streak of 1000 or more this early into the generation, due to both nobody having enough time to build a streak and the Pokemon we currently have available in a pre-bank state not being good enough to enable multiple such streaks at the same time.

I managed to hit 200 wins in a row (and think I'm the first to?), and I found a very upsetting discovery. You only get your item prizes the day after your streak is over.

This is fine for non-Super streaks, since they will always end at 20. However, Super can go on indefinitely, and as such, I had to surrender at the 201st battle just now so I can obtain the berries.

I'm furious this is the case, and hope someone can prove me wrong on this. It's ridiculous that GF would make this a requirement.

I managed to hit 200 wins in a row (and think I'm the first to?), and I found a very upsetting discovery. You only get your item prizes the day after your streak is over.

This is fine for non-Super streaks, since they will always end at 20. However, Super can go on indefinitely, and as such, I had to surrender at the 201st battle just now so I can obtain the berries.

I'm furious this is the case, and hope someone can prove me wrong on this. It's ridiculous that GF would make this a requirement.
Congrats on the feat! What team did you use?

So after like 5 runs ending in the 40's in super doubles I finally hit 50 with the koko/pelliper/kingdra/mamoswine team. Doubles is, contrary to my initial observation, way fucking harder than singles even though the AI is worse at it simply because you get so many more opportunities to get hax'd. Granted, I never really messed with doubles in a battle facility before this. For those interested, this was the team

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid nature
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Thunder
-Dazzling Gleam
-Grass Knot
-Protect

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Hurricane
- Scald
- Protect
- U-turn

Kingdra @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 116 HP / 252 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Protect

The Kingdra/Mamoswine are basically cut and paste from my old BSD team docs which I'm sure are straight out of the analysis pages. Pelipper has the most room for optimization seeing as he's a capable offensive pokemon now and you might be able to eke out a few more 1/2HKOs with some EVs from defense. Special defense goes uninvested because most of the time those attacks are electric and are going into Mamoswine. Hydro pump is an option on Kingdra but even the 90acc muddy water misses too often for my taste. I used more Devastating Drakes than muddy waters.

Also my Mamoswine wasn't thick fat because HAs on island scan pokemon are illegal until bank, but of course you'd want to run it if/when it's possible. I don't think it matters whether you go with Oblivious or Snow Cloak in the meantime.

Congrats on the feat! What team did you use?
I'll say upfront that I injected my previous gen 6 team that I legitimately obtained years ago. Because of that, I will not formally submit my streaks until Bank is out.

Singles (200 win, had to stop for berries):

Durant (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP / 18 SpD / 240 Spe
Ability: Truant
Level: 50
Jolly Nature
- Entrainment
- Superpower
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head

Scolipede (M) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Ability: Speed Boost
Level: 55
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
- X-Scissor

Kangaskhan (F) @ Kangaskhanite
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Ability: Scrappy
Level: 53
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Drain Punch
- Return
- Sucker Punch

Classic Truant Durant with Baton Pass and Mega Kang here. Nothing too notable, other than using Drain Punch instead of something else. The HP restoring saved me a lot.

NoCheese Edit: proof here

Doubles (50 win ongoing):
Mainframe (Metagross) @ Metagrossite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Ability: Clear Body
Level: 100
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Zen Headbutt
- Meteor Mash
- Ice Punch

Gengar (F) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

Jonathan (Aerodactyl) (M) @ Choice Band
IVs: 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe (formerly bred for gen 3 HP Flying, Hyper Trained)
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 2 SpA / 252 Spe
Ability: Rock Head
Level: 100
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Fire Fang

Excadrill (F) @ Choice Scarf
IVs: 6 SpA
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Ability: Sand Force
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Shadow Claw

This team relies on two cores to brute-force its way through the AI. The first involves my Ribbon Master Mega Metagross with a Sludge Wave Genger from the Dream World, who can laugh off any Sludge Waves. Excadrill is there for the same purpose, and my Ribboned Aero not only avoids Exca's EQs, but it also deals a great deal of damage with his signature Rock Head Double-Edge Choice Band that has won me almost all challenges in gens 3-7.

Multi (50 win ongoing):

Same Aero and Gengar as above, with Wally as partner. He had Gallade-Mega as lead, which goes very well with Aero (Few things can survive their combined movesets), and AV Magnezone, who tanks very well combined with once again taking no damage off Sludge Wave.

It is worth noting that my 200th opponent in Super Singles was none other than Wally. It was a very neat little twist to see my Super Multi partner as the very last character I face.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to see that Mamo analysis, because smogon Mamoswine doubles page use a 252 speed. I dont know what kind of threats there are in Battle tree to use that spread, but it would be good to see it anyway.

How often you use Ice beam? I mean flying and ground are smashed by Mamo, Koko and water atacks, so i dont know if its worth, and use the safe Scald or hydro.

Last edited:

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
NoCheese, can we simply include a screencap with our record like in gen 6? Some people can't upload battle videos due to their internet not being 3DS compatible. Also, I'd like to ask about the length requirement for posting about an ongoing streak, seeing as nobody will have a streak of 1000 or more this early into the generation, due to both nobody having enough time to build a streak and the Pokemon we currently have available in a pre-bank state not being good enough to enable multiple such streaks at the same time.
Definitely not ready to make any judgements on things like the length requirement for ongoing streaks to be leaderboard eligible. Still need more time to get a feel for things. Note that the 1000 win requirement for ongoing streaks dates, as best I can remember, from the very beginning of the XY leaderboard (Eppie was in charge for the first year or so, which is why my memory is uncertain), and so similarly seemed gigantic relative to most early streaks.

I'm happy to accept screenshots, but naturally, the more ancillary information, descriptions of strategies against specific threats, etc. you can provide, the better. And of course, where one is able to provide a video, it's still preferred to just a screenshot, both to see the full details of the loss, and to help protect against a cheater screenshoting a streak from a different mode.

I want to generally know how I can get started.
What I can use, which format I should use, what Mons I can breed for

I am super upset that the only way to face the returning characters is by getting through these waste-of-time battle facilities, but I've gotten at least a decent win streak before. That was when Mega Kangaskhan had a Choice Band boost, Talonflame had priority, and Gengar had Levitate, though.

NoCheese

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I am super upset that the only way to face the returning characters is by getting through these waste-of-time battle facilities
I'm not so sure this is the best place to be calling the battle facilities a waste of time! But a hard hitting sweeper, a defensive switch in that can handle many of its weaknesses, and just a general good stuff third Poke can get you a decent way. Dragon / Water / Steel cores (which can certainly fit the above roles) also tend to work well. Just basic synergies can do a lot for putting together a middling streak, though you will want to take some care with EVs and IVs, which is fairly time consuming this early after release.

I'm not so sure this is the best place to be calling the battle facilities a waste of time! But a hard hitting sweeper, a defensive switch in that can handle many of its weaknesses, and just a general good stuff third Poke can get you a decent way. Dragon / Water / Steel cores (which can certainly fit the above roles) also tend to work well. Just basic synergies can do a lot for putting together a middling streak, though you will want to take some care with EVs and IVs, which is fairly time consuming this early after release.
I never said it was a bad way to waste your time, but I still feel it's a waste of time overall.
I'm guessing singles format would be useful

We have no shortage of Dragon types. Intimidate Salamence has bulk after Intimidate, but a Defiant NPC can make short work of it. Kommo-o is quite bulky, but does have a notable Fairy allergy. Also loses to Cresselia, if I had to guess. Goodra surely has potential, I guess.... Turtonator, Dragonite (but screw grinding for Multiscale), Garchomp, and... Exeggutor, I guess.

Steel types. Mega Scizor is always good, and I believe Scizorite is available considering Scizor evolves from something obtainable in Alola. Metagross, Mega or not, could fit the core well, and could compliment Kommo-o.... Magnezone... Probopass... Skarmory.... Let's face it, the first three are the best powerhouses.

Water is everywhere, too. Gyarados has Intimidate, which could be helpful, and power to go along. Wishiwashi is actually a wild card for me. Same with Golisopod. First Impression could be very helpful. I used my in-game team just for the hell of it, and it RK'd Raichu after I +4'd it with 2 Nasty Plots. Cloyster sounds like a dicey pick, but it has power.

I'm interested in anything, as this is a feature I really would like to experience. Do any of these options seem good?

NoCheese

Focus Sash Cloyster can actually do a lot of work. Shell Smash once and then sweep away. And it pairs very nicely indeed with Garchomp. It's really nice for grinding since it plays FAST!

Dragonite or Salamence with Aegislash is also a pretty nice combo.

Obviously, when it comes to Water-types, my preference is for Suicune, but that's sadly absent right now. That's where we're going to need to do more experimentation. Interestingly, Dragonite / Chansey / Mega Slowbro (my most successful singles team in the Maison) is legal, but will require lots of work to obtain prebank (HA chaining, breeding Seismic Toss onto Chansey, buying a Slowbronite, possible bottle capping). Plus, it is a pretty slow team, so not the best choice for quick grinding.

Mega Scizor (or even regular Scizor, if you use another Mega) is also a staple, so that's another fine option. In short, it seems like you are already on the right path!

I have been using 2 really good teams in my 50-60 and 60-70 streaks.

Hypno Mega Gengar (with terrible ivs in hp so i cant make 5 subs) with Chansey and Tapu Bulu. HypnoGars is the MVP, and it put the enemy to sleep more than that 60% . He soloed a super annoying Curse Rest Regi Trio, but Focus Blast is just too bad.

The other is Bulky DD Roost Mega Salamance with Toxapex and Scarf Tapu Lele. The three of them have came clutch and getting the 3 kils in some wins, but Toxapex just destroys Red and some offense teams. And what Mega Salamance cant take, surely Tapu Lele can. In Psy Terrain just 2HKO everything, no matter resists.

I found a bulky mon like Toxapex or Chansey really necesary in 40+ streaks, because offense and legendaries are all over the place, so they can take things slow.

First off, I have a new discovery to make:
The AI will switch if they're choice-locked into a move with no PP left. Found this when facing a lead Typhlosion3 (Choice Scarf) and PP stalling it to set up on it. It proceeded to switch out after using all 5 Eruptions.

Secondly, I'm here to post my team for future reference, after getting to 50 in super singles.

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def / 4 SpD / 188 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Roost

This is basically Turskain's Dragonite from his 1010 streak in XY. EVs are to outspeed Tyrantrum4 at +0 and OHKO it with Outrage.

You'll be using this as your "quick mode" sweeper. Set up if it's relatively safe, as you often only need one DD to guarantee a win. Set up multiple times if it's still safe. There are some status-using leads that you will want to set up against (Rotom-Heat4 comes to mind) before OHKOing them. Roost helps keep it healthy if it needs to recover while setting up. Beware of Fairies, and avoid using Outrage unless you absolutely must, but you'd rather set up on most air balloon mons as opposed to not. Dragonite is one of the best pre-bank leads, as a favorable lead matchup can give wins in under a minute.

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Brave Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 14 Spe
- King's Shield
- Swords Dance
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak

A typical Stance Dance Aegislash. 14 speed because that's the one I had and I can't be bothered to breed for a new one right now. Switches into and sets up on a lot of the Tree. This is your "safety mode" sweeper, and you'll be using it a lot when the lead is unsuitable for Dragonite to set up on.

Tapu Fini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 52 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 196 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Grass Knot
- Ice Beam
- Surf

A weird set that has amazing synergy with the rest of the team. Choice Scarf Tapu Fini is fairly bulky, grabs 2HKOes on a lot of the Tree with neutral moves, and is decently fast. The real draw, however, is the ability, which means that you have a status absorber that makes grounded teammates status-immune. This means that it can switch in on Starmie4's Ice Beam, go out to Aegislash on the Thunderbolt, and safely set up a Swords Dance before OHKOing with Shadow Sneak. Nothing else lets you do that. Misty Surge opens up so many possibilities for playing around Status users(and it makes Weezing4 unable to do anything) that Tapu Fini is a solid pick in Battle Tree Singles.

This team has good potential and I feel like it can easily reach 500 or 1000.

So I've found a few tricks to multi-battles, which are a lot like Battle Royal in that you have three pokemon trying to kill you, except one is ostensibly an ally and sometimes does helpful things.

1. Don't get wiped. Once one side is down, your ally will get focused. Your "ally" will sometimes randomly protect when it's under no threat whatsoever as you get focused. Protect on both mons is a necessity to stall out bad situations. The longer the fight goes on, the more likely your partner is to do something useful (in theory).
2. The AI has the same rules you do so if you wipe out one opposing trainer's two pokemon quickly you can force your partner to focus targets with you on the remaining side. Dragon gem...err Dragonium-Z Hydreigon is probably the most reliable delete key you can run prebank. Have fun getting it to evolve with that gen 5 level curve though.
3. You and your partner are two separate teams. You can both use one Z move and one mega per battle.

Building off that, scouting a good partner with Z-moves and/or megas makes life way easier. Anabel is probably the best boss trainer to scout because she can carry Z-move Raikou or Entei and either White Herb or Mega Latios with it. Some of the lesser trainers run auto-weather leads that you can play off of as well. After a streak of 40 you can see random trainers with legends too, anyone can be scouted. I'm pretty sure that you can only have one trainer per class scouted at a time though, as re-scouting bosses you already have changes their teams based on what they have when you scout them. Hydreigon/M-Metagross or maybe Aegislash is probably a good two mon core for this, but what's ideal definitely depends on the partner you have available.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I just made a pointless discovery because of not adjusting my 3DS's Clock for Daylight Savings and needing a better third Pokemon for my Singles Team.

If you enter the battle tree before midnight, but you lose after midnight, the games counts it as the day after you lost and you can pick up the gifts immediately.

I'll say upfront that I injected my previous gen 6 team that I legitimately obtained years ago. Because of that, I will not formally submit my streaks until Bank is out.
I actually did the same thing, except with Dragonite/Kangha/Suicune. Dragonite and Suicune are still insanely good, although with the inclusion of Megas I often skip the dragon dance and just sacrifice her for some damage. Kangaskhan is not as strong unfortunately and am looking for a replacement.

It's one per character name. You can have all Veterans for example, but if you re-Scout that specific one, then their team changes.
What do you mean by "name".

Like Veteran Alex, Veteran Carlos, Veteran Sara or something like that? Or all the old fat guy counts as one Veteran.

By the way, im i the only one that ALWAYS gets Dexio in the X0 battles? Like i just got Cinthia (bae) and the Unova Dark Elite 4 dude in like 8 battles, and the others were Dexio.

Last edited:
(HA chaining, breeding Seismic Toss onto Chansey, buying a Slowbronite, possible bottle capping). Plus, it is a pretty slow team, so not the best choice for quick grinding.
Chansey only gets Seismic Toss through Mawile, which isn't available. I'd doubt the 1000 mark was around at the beginning of XY because the streaks weren't that long in the Subway.

Collector Togami It'd be really interesting to hear what your haul of items (in addition to the Starf/Lansat) was for the 200 streak to know if a long one or multiple shorter ones is better for getting PP Maxes, bottlecaps, and such.

Last edited:
What do you mean by "name".

Like Veteran Alex, Veteran Carlos, Veteran Sara or something like that? Or all the old fat guy counts as one Veteran.

By the way, im i the only one that ALWAYS gets Dexio in the X0 battles? Like i just got Cinthia (bae) and the Unova Dark Elite 4 dude in like 8 battles, and the others were Dexio.

Like the former example you cited. Let's say I scout Veteran Alex and then Veteran Carlos. They will count as separate characters. If I scout Carlos a second time, then only his team will change; Alex's party remains untouched.

I have noticed a repeating pattern in the AI characters I face. I honestly lost track of how many times I faced Grimsley and Cynthia in battles 60-190. Hell, I've never even seen the likes of Guzma, Dexio, and Mallow during all of my Singles and Doubles streaks!

Collector Togami It'd be really interesting to hear what your haul of items (in addition to the Starf/Lansat) was for the 200 streak to know if a long one or multiple shorter ones is better for getting PP Maxes, bottlecaps, and such.
Okay, so I got Moomoo Milk, PP Up, Rare Candy, Bottle Cap, PP Max, Ability Capsule, Lansat Berry, and Starf Berry. I have come to the following conclusion about Tree streaks and BP efficiency:

Given that a streak from 1-50 earns 300 points, and any subsequent 50 streak gives exactly 350, anyone interested in Ability Capsules specifically is better off losing at the 51st battle. You get a de facto 400 BP if you count the 100 you save in the Capsule prize. This does not count the other items, which may also be of note if you are after them.

Has anyone got the data for Trainers, Pokemon, Movesets, stats, etc in the Battle Tree?

I bet a lot of people would like to see a guide like the one I made for the Battle Maison.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)