Best DS games

Sup fellas. I found out this weekend that i am about a gazillion richer thanks to an end of summer paycheck that I just recieved. I am so totally buying a DS, but I'm not sure what games to buy! Can y'all let me know?

PS: non-pokemon games as I already have Diamond

I have played and enjoyed:
Castlevania DoS (is PoR better?)
Kirby's dreamland (I am a big kirby junkie)
warioware touched (I realize the genres are different, but should I get wario in disguise over this?)
Brain Age (should i look to big brain academy? or brain age 2?)
New Super Mario Brothers

I haven't played these but I here they're good
Advance wars DS
FF3 (is this the only fucking non poke rpg on DS?)
Castlevania PoR
Mario Kart DS
Diddy Kong Racing
Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Super Mario DS 64
Any sonic games?
Bomberman (I loved this on gbc)

I will probably not buy these even if you recommend them
Meteos (Its a fun concept but i kinda dont like puzzle games)
Metroid (not a fan of 1st person on the DS)
animal crossing
nintendogs

The.Lost.Hylian

Conquer your Shadow
is a Researcher Alumnus
I hate the control scheme for Metroid on the DS. I was a fan of Kirby Canvas Curse and Advance Wars Dual Strike. But then again, I haven't played my DS in about 8 months, so I'm behind.

Both Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure are great games. Also Diamond and FF3 isn't the only rpg for the DS there's Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, Rune Factory, Mega Man Starforce, etc... Zelda: PH is also a pretty good game.

so far so cool. carl both of your rec's are noted since I loved yoshi's island on older platforms, and I hear nothing but love for EBA.

Probably definetely going for AW:DS

Mariokart DS or Diddy Kong Racing?
New Super Mario Brothers or Mario 64 DS?
Castlevania PoR or Dos?
Zelda: phantom Hourglass or FF3?
WW: touched or EBA?

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
both the castlevania games were good (Por better than DoS imo)
drawn to life is pretty good (you get to draw your own character!)
elite beat agents is fun in short bursts
magical starsign is an rpg, havent played much of it to really know how good it is
phoenix wright is of course awsome
super princess peach is fun (better than the mario games imo (save for mario64))
trauma center is fun too in short bursts
imagine fashion designer is ok too, not as much options as i would have liked though >_>

My top three DS games are Mario Kart, Kirby Canvas Curse, and Meteos in no particular order.

Other good games are Hotel Dusk, both Phoenix Wrights, Trauma Center, Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime, and Zelda.

A few that you might have fun with depending on your taste:
Chocobo Tales (just minigames basically, but it's fun)
Nanostray (hard shooter)
Metroid Prime Pinball
Heroes of Mana (RTS)
Rune Factory (Harvest Moon+RPG)
Age of Empires (although it freezes sometimes and you pretty much have to turn off every form of animation to avoid killing yourself out of boredom)

Unless you are a big fan of final fantasy, I recommend Phantom Hourglass. It is really one of the few DS games I have played that feel like they were made for the DS and actually put good use to the touch screen without making it awkward at all. Plus, its Zelda. There aren't a lot of bad games in the Zelda series. (and if you want to complain about CD-i, go kill yourself)

Custom Robo Arena is good I think, but it isn't a lot of people's cup of tea... (story kind of sucks but the wifi system is good, and the game requires skill and strategy in vs. battles if you aren't fighting nubs, which are all over the place. But hey this is a competitive pokemon site, you should be used to that) Unfortunately it is sort of dying, but not dead yet. Don't get it if you don't have easily accessible wifi...

BTW do you have easily accessible wifi? That could definitely make or break a couple of decisions, because wifi adds a lot to a good few games.

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
so far so cool. carl both of your rec's are noted since I loved yoshi's island on older platforms, and I hear nothing but love for EBA.

Probably definetely going for AW:DS

Mariokart DS or Diddy Kong Racing?
Castlevania PoR or Dos?
WW: touched or EBA?
I prefer DKR, but most dont. The wifi scene is dead on dkr, but when it was popular it was awesome. MKDS you can still find some online matches but its sketchy and people d/c.
Depends on if you have played the original sm64, but who hasnt?
I hate castlevenia so no idea
Zelda is fun and ingenuitive but easy and FF3 I loved but others dont, its hit and miss. FF3 will be harder and longer, but possibly more frustrating and less fun.
EBA is great while it lasts, which isnt very long. Warioware if you like that gimmick, (I do, but only in short bursts)

The best DS game is still animal crossing xD

Meteos is really good... So is MPH... But, their are a ton of more games! Phoenix Wright, is FANTASTIC. I have the first 2 games in english:

-Phoenix Wright
-Phoenix Wright: Justice For All

The 3rd one comes out October 23rd,:

-Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations

All excellent games! The 1st one can possibly be found at gamespots, in used, or new sections. The second can be found at wal-mart, best buy, sometimes target. 3rd hasn't come out yet, so I don't know. Plus, 4th should be coming out next year or something...

MKDS is cool, i love it, but don't play it much anymore. Phantom Hourglass = REAL GOOD.

I'd go for New Super Mario Bros unless you haven't played Mario 64 already somehow... 64DS has some extras but not enough to be worth it over a new game. On the other hand NSMB is easy and kind of short but still fun.

Castlevania PoR or Dos?
They're both good and play similarly so you can't really go wrong here, but I'd say PoR has a slight edge.

FF3 is about as old fashioned as console RPGs get and doesn't even have a fancy plot. I haven't played PH yet but I don't strongly recommend FF3.

Some other things...

Yoshi's Island DS - Not as good as the original, but that's a high standard anyway.
Mega Man ZX - If you aren't tired of this series yet...
Custom Robo Arena - The adventure segments are kind of dull but battling is fun and it has Wi-Fi.
Lunar Knights - Decent isometric adventure game from Konami.
Age of Empires: The Age of Kings - If you like Advance Wars this is definitely worth checking out.

I'm going to list some of my favorites:

-Lost Magic is a really good Strategy RPG for the DS that makes wonderful use of the touch screen.

-Mega Man ZX is awesome if you like Mega Man, and Mega Man ZX: Advent is going to be released soon.

-Phoenix Wright games are really entertaining!

-Feel the Magic is a really, really weird yet really, really fun game that I never get tired of playing. The Rub Rabbits is really good as well, but I liked the first one more.

-Get Advance Wars DS. I really can't find the words to describe its awesomeness.

-There are hardly any fighting games on the DS, but if you are looking for one, I strongly recommend Bleach DS. It is an awesome 2-D fighting game developed by Treasure, and you really don't have to be a fan of the anime to see it's a great game.

-Star Fox Command is a great shooter and the touch screen controls work well.

mkds is a must imo, but I haven't played diddy kong racing yet in order to compare...

I've only heard great things about EBA and phoenix wright games.

Any sonic games?
Fuck yes. Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure were both great (as opposed to their console brethren Sonic Heroes and beyond). Sonic Rush Adventure seems to achieve the impossible and actually doesn't completely focus on bottomless pits for "challenges" like most Sonic games do now days (other than in the typical sky stage, but the music is so great there that you'll overlook it).

Mario Kart DS is also addictive as all hell. Online play takes MKDS (and the Mario Kart franchise in general) to a whole new level of awesome. It's a shame you can't race more than 4 people though.

Advance Wars was very good on the GBA. I think I might check it out. I'll get back to you if it seems alot like the GBA Advance Wars.

Super Mario DS 64 and Phantom Hourglass I've heard were also great games. Both are games that I'll eventually want to check out, but not as high on my list as Advanced Wars DS. I owned the original Super Mario 64, and if the DS version is anything at all like it, and you haven't played the original 64 version, then I would highly recommend that.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I could not reccomend Phantom Hourglass highly enough. At first I was skeptical, as I never liked Metroid Hunters. I expected this to feel just as un-natural, but it is absolutely breathtaking.

It's also a direct sequel to the Wind Waker, which I never knew. I thought it was an unrelated story.

More than recommend (because so far all the games i have played have been listed), i would ask if is Star Fox Command a good game?, i mean maybe Gormenghast and myself could find it appealing too.

More than recommend (because so far all the games i have played have been listed), i would ask if is Star Fox Command a good game?, i mean maybe Gormenghast and myself could find it appealing too.
Yes, I think Star Fox Command is a good game. It is all aerial combat in, speaking in Star Fox 64 terms, "all-range mode". There are several different endings, and you get to play as many different characters from the Star Fox universe. Each character also has his/her own kind of space ship. Touch screen controls work well with the game, and there is also Wi-Fi multiplayer.

Sonuis

Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated!
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Final Fantasy III DS
Major no-no on this. Even if you're a fan of RPGs, I can't really recommend FF3 DS. It runs too slow. Note: This FF3j for the NES. With class changes and whatnot. Not FF6j with Terra, Locke, Relm, etc. Mistake them and you should go to hell. Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration.

Mario Kart DS
Definitely a fun game. The Wi-Fi was a rushed feature though, so if you play Mario Kart DS as your first Wi-Fi game, don't judge it by the overall Wi-Fi server via Nintendo's service.

Animal Crossing: Wild World
If you liked Animal Crossing on the GameCube, you'll love Wild World even more. This has a better Wi-Fi influence than other games. Though, I think the best example is Metroid Prime: Hunters. Tetris DS works flawlessly, but you have to think about the simplicity of Tetris here.

Elite Beat Agents
YOU GET THIS NOW OR YOU WILL ROT IN HELL >:o (Seriously)

Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time
To be honest, I got bored halfway through the game. I hope that says something.

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow
Sorry, I can't say anything about these two games. Namely `cause I've never played them. I don't hear much mention of the games either.

The New Mario Bros.
This is basically a standard for the DS. I shouldn't say anything more.

Wario Ware Touched
Alright, I've done some Wario Ware stuff, and I'm not much of a fan for this game. It also makes me worry about scratching my screen immensely.

Diddy Kong Racing DS
Never played it. I've heard good things about it though. If you're looking for difficulty, DKR DS is a wee-bit easier than DKR. I hear also that the WiFi works very well.

Big Brain Academy
Is actually pretty cool. Don't count out the Touch Generation games.

Nintendogs [Version]
Yet another Touch Generation game, and is really cool. It's somewhat in a way towards Animal Crossing... except you have to take care of a puppy. Not to mention cleaning up its crap.

Kirby: Canvas Curse
This is like Elite Beat Agents: Die if you don't get it(heh). It is much harder for a Kirby game in case you complain about the difficulty of most Kirby games. It's all about style with replay value... 4x. I may be a big Kirby fan, but a lot of people agree that this is in fact, a great DS game.

Kirby Squeak Squad
I am a big Kirby fan as said, so that's why I'd recommend Kirby Squeak Squad. It is a bit short albeit and the treasures are easily found.

Yoshi's Island DS
I'm surprised more people don't own Yoshi's Island DS game. It's really cool and because which baby is riding on you affects Yoshi, it is slightly different. It does have replay value to it. Though, sometimes you get lost in levels.

Megaman ZX
Moreso a Megaman series fan game than anything else. It's not bad though.

Super Princess Peach
It's not bad either like Megaman ZX, but it has its peachy personality. This game might show some inspiration to SSB:B attacks for our wonderful Princess if she makes a return. Which is most likely.

Tetris DS
Six single player modes of fun, single cart action with nearby friends, flawless Wi-Fi. The only excuse to not get Tetris DS, is if you don't like Tetris.

Metroid Prime: Hunters
Pretty cool. You guess that with all the action going in and out of the main game, that WiFi would suck. You're way off track my good friend.

Starfox Command
Bleh. I didn't enjoy using the Stylus to move the Arwing around, whilst concentrating on aim with it and clicking the L-Trigger too. I didn't try WiFi play, so eh. Either way, I say that you should not get it.

Personally, I think that if you want a good Castlevania, you're better off just finding Aria of Sorrow somewhere if you don't have it already. The only parts I really liked of the DS ones are the extra modes that unlock after you beat the games :-/

I'm going to second Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time being incredibly boring, it's not even close to being half as good as the GBA one.

I also forgot to mention Planet Puzzle League, it's a pretty enjoyable puzzle game. It also has WiFi if you're interested. It's also a touch generations game/

StarFox was enjoyable, but not extraordinary. It's kind of fun trying to get all the endings, but I haven't played it since then. Never played the WiFi because I heard it was really wonky. Apparently one person drops and the rest of the people can't play either? I might be thinking of something else though

I haven't finished PiT(Only because I got bunch of other games shorty afterward), but I thought it was a pretty solid RPG.

Edit: This is what I get for skimming through the thread, seems lots of people mentioned it...Oh well, I still thought it was decent.

castlevania: portrait of ruin
legend of zelda: phantom hourglass
mario kart ds
tetris ds
metroid prime hunters
sonic rush (classic sonic)
final fantasy iii (people dont like it, you could wait a long time for the ds remake of IV if you want)
elite beat agents
new super mario bros.

that's what i have, except for sonic and tetris. i've heard good things about them. also, i love all these games so they are recommended.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)