Pokémon Blastoise

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Suicune is halfway between a tank and a wall, whereas Mega Blastoise is a true tank, and can do more damage immediately.
2. Mega Blastoise has Rapid Spin, and a near unblockable one at that thanks to a Dark Pulse which is equal to Darkrai's.
3. Mega Blastoise has (arguably) better coverage.

Also, Suicune is only about 10% bulkier than Mega Blastoise, given equal defensive investment.
just about the last part, that might be true that he is only 10% bulkier but he can also hold an item such as leftovers or assault vest if u want more spdef bulk

You understand how insane that would have made Mega Blastoise right?

I think what he has is suffcient. Theres no reason to break a pokemon just because they can
It's still the best Rapid Spinner in the metagame because with access to technically STAB Dark Pulse (because of MegaLauncher), which allow him to 2HKO ALL Ghosts except SpD Spiritomb, which can't hurt him back for crap, so it looses as well. I would be shocked, taking into account how valuable Rapid Spinners are, it would end up lower than mid OU. And dropping to UU is something I can't even imagine. I love to use MegaBlastoise myself and it never dissapoint me.

can mega blastoise tank a grass knot from greninja at all? or is that a ohko move on it
Mega Blastoise is 222.9 kg, which makes grass knot a 100 BP move, if I recall correctly. Doubled with protean and life orb, I kinda doubt it. It might take ONE if you're lucky.

Last edited:
What are some good poison type Pokemon that work well with mega blastoise? Because Blastoise doesn't particularly enjoy trying to rapid spin away toxic spikes which starmie and excadrill are both capable of doing without being crippled permenantly, most commonly against tentacruel or roserade.

Last edited:
Mega Blastoise is 222.9 kg, which makes grass knot a 120 BP move, if I recall correctly. Doubled with protean and life orb, I kinda doubt it. It might take ONE if you're lucky.
That's pounds, not kg so its 100 BP. I believe with the 252 HP setup its around 31% chance of being OHKOed.

I love mega blastoise and I'm trying to find him a place on my rain team, but I can't really think of one. Currently consists of:

Politoed (obvs)
Tentacruel (spinner/poison/checking)
Ferrothorn (staple typing for checking)
Noivern (hits hard and 100% accuracy Hurricane in rain/sweep)
Heliolisk/Rotom-W (for dat thunder)
Aegislash (spinblocker/physical hitter)

I've tried the likes of: Goodra, Scizor, Klefki, Starmie

I love rain and i love M-Blast, but I can't find the synergy to support him. I feel like as a spinner he's outclasses by Tenta and Starmie because they can switch in on toxic spikes without too much of a headache. He seems like he'd be a better all out attacker.

Current threats are Gengar and Dragonite

Thoughts? I'm open to suggestions on team changes. Anyone running rain with m-blast with success?

I love mega blastoise and I'm trying to find him a place on my rain team, but I can't really think of one. Currently consists of:

Politoed (obvs)
Tentacruel (spinner/poison/checking)
Ferrothorn (staple typing for checking)
Noivern (hits hard and 100% accuracy Hurricane in rain/sweep)
Heliolisk/Rotom-W (for dat thunder)
Aegislash (spinblocker/physical hitter)

I've tried the likes of: Goodra, Scizor, Klefki, Starmie

I love rain and i love M-Blast, but I can't find the synergy to support him. I feel like as a spinner he's outclasses by Tenta and Starmie because they can switch in on toxic spikes without too much of a headache. He seems like he'd be a better all out attacker.

Current threats are Gengar and Dragonite

Thoughts? I'm open to suggestions on team changes. Anyone running rain with m-blast with success?
Mega Blastoise could work well for you even as an all out attacker. It can run:

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Modest
252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
- Water Pulse / Scald / Hydro Pump
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam / Dragon pulse

Which checks both Gengar, and Dragonite.

You CAN run Clawitzer in place of this, who, while having worse bulk and speed, has access to an item slot.

As far as him being a spinner goes, he IS Toxic Spikes weak, meaning if you want to spin them safely, you need a poison on your team to absorb em, or have aromatherapy support. However, his biggest advantage over Tenta / Forretress / Donphan is he can easily kill almost any spinblocker out there. His advantage over Starmie is he isn't pursuit weak, and has great natural bulk.

Mega Blastoise is a fantastic spinner because while he's clearly an offensive spinner, he has the bulk to take a few hits.

Mega Blastoise could work well for you even as an all out attacker. It can run:

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Modest
252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
- Water Pulse / Scald / Hydro Pump
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam / Dragon pulse

Which checks both Gengar, and Dragonite.

You CAN run Clawitzer in place of this, who, while having worse bulk and speed, has access to an item slot.

As far as him being a spinner goes, he IS Toxic Spikes weak, meaning if you want to spin them safely, you need a poison on your team to absorb em, or have aromatherapy support. However, his biggest advantage over Tenta / Forretress / Donphan is he can easily kill almost any spinblocker out there. His advantage over Starmie is he isn't pursuit weak, and has great natural bulk.

Mega Blastoise is a fantastic spinner because while he's clearly an offensive spinner, he has the bulk to take a few hits.
That's the issue, I'd have to remove tentacruel because it would be inefficient to have two spinners. Then I won't have poison. Ah the troubles of rain teams. I could run gengar to take both spinblock and poison but I'd still need a physical attacker so the whole team would be redone!

Anybody tried throwing on an Assault Vest and making him a full on tank on both sides on the spectrum?
An interesting option. Rain Dish Assault Vest Blastoise could be an interesting support option on rain teams (ESPECIALLY if both Blastoise and Politoed make UU), as assault vest still lets him both use Scald, AND Rapid spin. Plus, he still has ACCESS to moves like aura sphere and dark pulse, and while he loses the Mega launcher boost and SpAtk buff, it could be interesting.

The real question would be: Is it better than leftovers?

An interesting option. Rain Dish Assault Vest Blastoise could be an interesting support option on rain teams (ESPECIALLY if both Blastoise and Politoed make UU), as assault vest still lets him both use Scald, AND Rapid spin. Plus, he still has ACCESS to moves like aura sphere and dark pulse, and while he loses the Mega launcher boost and SpAtk buff, it could be interesting.

It also can use Dragon Tail with AV, which is interesting. AV Blastoise has good typing for special tanking (Fire, Water, Ice resists), while he still should be able to take some physical hits. Fact is that it is bulkier than MegaBlastoise on special side in a price of loosing power. And I think it's decent alternative if you want to use another mega (like MegaCharizard Y).

Anybody tried throwing on an Assault Vest and making him a full on tank on both sides on the spectrum?
Yeah, I have and it's pretty nice. I use:
Blastoise @ Assault Vest
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
With Assault Vest it can be a great Rapid Spinner and Aura Sphere + Dark Pulse gives Blastoise near-perfect coverage. Scald is nice for the chance to burn the opponent and can allow Blastoise to take more physical attacks.

Mega Blastiose is imo, the most underrated pokemon in gen 6 by far. I recently had a Wifi Battle where i late game swept a guy with Mega Blastiose. He is so damn bulky and powerful. I never seen such a deadly combination of bulk and power.

To illustrate how powerful Mega Blastioise is in my Wifi battle i just had Mega Blastiose defeated Mega Alakazam in a 1-1. Not only that but he took an Energy Ball from Mega Alakazam with a clean 30% left in his health and OHKO'd it with Dark Pulse. Then he sent out Greninja, who i was sure was going to kill. Blastiose then proceeds to eat a Dark Pulse with 10 hp left and OHKO with Aura Sphere.

That is CRAZY power.

Mega Blastiose is by far the most surprising and dominant pokemon i ran thus far

Yeah I've been using him mainly as a Volcarona check on a team that already has a mega. He surprisingly sponges hits on both spectrums quite well.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Alright, I just deleted about two pages worth of posts, most of which were about things that you guys wished Blastoise got and questions that should be posted in the Simple Questions, Simple Answers thread. The purpose of this thread is for open discussion on (Mega) Blastoise and its effects on the metagame, its best sets, etc.

Things I want to see in this thread:
  • Potential sets
  • Checks and counters and how to get around them
  • Good partners for (Mega) Blastoise
  • Alternatives to Mega Blastoise for when you're using another Mega
Things I don't want to see in this thread:
  • Short questions that don't promote discussion and would fit better in the Simple Questions, Simple Answers thread
  • Discussion on how Blastoise would have been better if it got Shell Smash or any other move or ability
Thanks guys!

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
I've been looking into Mega Blastoise and I was pleasantly surprised at what this thing is capable of. This is coming from someone that completely wrote-off Mega Blastoise originally.

Mega Blastoise is easy to understand as a bulky, harder-hitting (yes, harder than Life Orb) Greninja; or just think Swampert but actually threatening. Having STAB on all its attacks is extremely nice. It is extremely hard for non-stall teams to switch into because of its fantastic and powerful coverage but it also has a bit of trouble switching in initially. Mega Blastoise, while quite literally a tank, is not a wall and should not be switching into unresisted hits whatsoever. A Mega Blastoise in-battle with full HP is a daunting opponent and the opposing team will have to bend over backwards to take it out without losing a Pokemon. You really don't want to lose that by eating an Earthquake on switch, even if it only does 40%.

With that said, Mega Blastoise appreciates a VoltTurn core more than anything. Mega Blastoise can make a hell of a revenge Pokemon but it really wants to get in on Pokemon it can KO or threaten out without much risk and VoltTurn is the best way to do that. I personally like the following set on my own teams:

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SAtk / 24 Spd
Modest Nature
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
- Hydro Pump / Dragon Pulse
- Rapid Spin / Yawn

Aura Sphere and Dark Pulse are absolute must have moves. They have far too much utility to run over anything else and they both get pseudo-STAB via Mega Launcher so there's no reason not to run them.

I'm sure the Dragon Pulse slash will raise some eyebrows, but it's there as an option over Water Pulse rather than Hydro Pump itself. Hydro Pump's accuracy is a little shaky and losing your Mega because of a miss is never fun, so naturally you might go for a base 90 Water Pulse, but I would advise Dragon Pulse instead. Water Pulse hits slightly harder with a base 135 with Mega Launcher and STAB while Dragon Pulse hits 127.5 base with Mega Launcher. You trade a bit of power and the confusion chance for completely different and unexpected coverage, only resisted by Fairy. It's also a nice work-around for not having to sacrifice a slot for a non-boosted Ice Beam just to hit Goodra, Dragonite, Salamence, and Garchomp. But again, Hydro Pump is much more powerful so you really have to weigh those pros and cons on your own team when choosing that slot.

As for Rapid Spin, I actually think that Mega Blastoise is the best Rapid Spinner in the game. A base 120 Dark Pulse scares away any Ghost that would dream of switching in is very potent. Even Excadrill has trouble with Gourgeist and Trevenant while Mega Blastoise tears them apart. So why the Yawn slash? Well on teams that don't need Rapid Spin, Yawn makes Mega Blastoise even harder to deal with by forcing checks out when they switch in bar Rotom and other Volt Switchers; but even then, you can potentially catch that Rotom after Yawn by switching to a Ground-type. But more on topic, the switching Yawn forces can be very obvious and extremely easy to take advantage of for Mega Blastoise with its wide coverage. And of course, if they choose to stay in, they fall asleep and Blastoise takes some damage but will live to fight another turn bar it being something like STAB Thunder.

While scary as hell, Mega Blastoise is no sweeper. What it tends to do, and what I believe it is good at, is blasting (hue) holes in the opposing team, while impeding them from sweeping, that will allow a teammate to sweep later on. I've had countless times that I swept with Scarf Garchomp, Scizor, Zapdos, or even stalled-away with my Gourgeist simply because Mega Blastoise took care of the things that stop them. In fact, Mega Blastoise seems like it might be best as a glue Pokemon like Porygon2 was in early Gen 5 but more of an offensive glue if that makes any sense. It might be too early to tell what its place in the metagame will be, but I look forward to finding out.

Maybe I'm just being silly, but wouldn't a specially defensive BU Toxicroak be a bit of a problem for Mega Blastoise? It's also another Pokemon that can take its three coverage moves, and has Drain Punch to wear down Mega Blastoise and heal itself. It seems to be a sure-fire counter is Rain is on the field.

The times I have faced Mega Blastoise personally I've found it to be somewhat underwhelming, but I am running a Sun team with Mega Venusaur personally, so that might make a difference. ^^;

Hello friends, I was wondering: Which move is the better option between these two for MegaStoise: Scald or Water Pulse? With all boosts considered, both attacks reach 120 power, which leaves the deciding factor within which side-effect is more favorable. With Scald, MegaStoise has the capacity to nerf a Physical hitter, while Pulse can force a switch if you get the Confusion hax. So, with these things in mind, which move do you all think is the better option? Thanks for your help!

Hello friends, I was wondering: Which move is the better option between these two for MegaStoise: Scald or Water Pulse? With all boosts considered, both attacks reach 120 power, which leaves the deciding factor within which side-effect is more favorable. With Scald, MegaStoise has the capacity to nerf a Physical hitter, while Pulse can force a switch if you get the Confusion hax. So, with these things in mind, which move do you all think is the better option? Thanks for your help!
First of all, Mega Launcher-boosted STAB Water Pulse is actually stronger than STAB Scald (135 BP as opposed to 120), but both are weaker than STAB Hydro Pump (165).

This is indeed a tough question, because the general consensus, from what I've seen, is there is no clear answer. Personally, I prefer Scald, as the power difference, while noticeable, isn't too huge, and it allows Mega Blastoise to support his team by fishing for burns in addition to ripping apart Ghost-types and spinning away hazards. However, if you want your Mega Blastoise to be even more potent, Water Pulse is certainly worth considering, although at this point I'd also consider Hydro Pump too; it's less accurate than Water Pulse, but sometimes the extra kick is exactly what Mega Blastoise needs.

All things considered though, I wouldn't justify picking Water Pulse solely due to confusion; it's nice when it happens, but it's only a 20% chance (as opposed to Scald's 30%) and confusion is a coin toss as to whether it'll be effective, whereas burning something is always guaranteed to be effective (unless you're burning Gut Heracross or something).

What's better Mega Blastoise or Clawitzer with Life orb or assault vest? For a bulky powered pokemon.

Also, for Mega Blastoise.
Aura Sphere
Ice Beam
Dark Pulse
Flash Cannon

sounds good? Sure, no Water Stab, but Ice Beam takes cares of Dragon and Ground types, and Aura Spehere of Rock and Steel types. Flash Canon for Fairies, even if it only does neutral to Azumaril.

Clawitzer can run Sludge Bomb and Dragon Pulse instead of Ice Beam and Flash Cannon. Both Dragon, fairies and grass types are also covered. Only leaves Earth types, but they usually have another typing.

What's better Mega Blastoise or Clawitzer with Life orb or assault vest? For a bulky powered pokemon.

Also, for Mega Blastoise.
Aura Sphere
Ice Beam
Dark Pulse
Flash Cannon

sounds good? Sure, no Water Stab, but Ice Beam takes cares of Dragon and Ground types, and Aura Spehere of Rock and Steel types. Flash Canon for Fairies, even if it only does neutral to Azumaril.

Clawitzer can run Sludge Bomb and Dragon Pulse instead of Ice Beam and Flash Cannon. Both Dragon, fairies and grass types are also covered. Only leaves Earth types, but they usually have another typing.
I'm not sure why you would ever run Mega Blastoise without Rapid Spin, moreso without STAB, and especially when your alternative to said STAB is...Flash Cannon.

How do you guys feel about this bulky yet offensive Spinner setup on a regular Blastoise? The idea here is to either switch in Blastoise while knowing that it could survive for a SE hit or when matching with e.g. Rotom W and get a SE hit to activate weakness policy +2 SAtk and +2 Atk and sweep with Blastoise. Those move here are petty obvious, for Rapid Spin is to get rid of entry hazards, Aqua Jet due to Speed Priority against faster Pokemon, Hydro Pump STAB move and Ice Beam/Dark Pulse/Aura Sphere for coverage. For the last slot it's depending on what you need in your team.

Item Attached: Weakness Policy
Ability: Torrent
EVs and Nature:
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Sdef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

- Rapid Spin
- Aqua Jet
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse / Aura Sphere/ Ice Beam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)