Buzzwole Discussion

Is Fell Stinger worth running on this? On one hand, you get a +4 attack boost if your KO something with it. On the other hand you have to give up a coverage move infavor of something with base 50 power.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Pfft, that name. I think I find my replacement word for "@$$hole" :P. "What a Buzzhole", yeah, has a nice ring to it.

With those muscles you knew it was going to be Physical. High HP is also nice though that's really it, Speed is in that dead zone.

It's Bug/Fighting and has options in STABs (really, no Close Combat? Though it might be able to make use of Fell Stinger). Also gets Thunder Punch, Ice Punch, Earthquake, Payback, Stone Edge/Rock Slide, and Poison Jab. Utilities are Bulk Up, Roost... and that's pretty much it. I don't think Buzzhole has time to do anything else.

Well they can't all be winners. Buzzhole just wants to go in and start punching and jabbing, which I'm sure it'll be good at though not sure if it'll be able to survive long after.

The important question we should be asking ourselves, is the wole in Buzzwole a reference to "Swoll"? XD. Probably isn't, but it would make for a good nickname.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This thing is pretty easy to compare with MHeracross, for obvious reasons. It doesn't hit anywhere near as hard, and really suffers from the lack of Close Combat and a strong Bug STAB, but its far greater physical bulk, access to an item and especially Roost more than makes up for this. MHeracross has actally been seen running bulkier and bulkier sets as of late, some even going so far as to run Rest, the reason being that its typing enables it to serve as a very good check to Dark- Ground- and even Fighting-types which can also double up as a wallbreaker. Buzzwole doesn't wallbreak as well obviously, but it performs far better defensively, and while its special bulk isn't as good as MHera's, its typing is meant to take on physical attackers as opposed to special ones, so it isn't a huge deal. So it's easy to imagine people using a set like this:

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Superpower / Hammer Arm
- Leech Life / Ice Punch
- Poison Jab / Ice Punch
- Roost

which provides a very solid and consistent check to the likes of Excadrill, Weavile, Bisharp and Mega Lopunny, all of which are massive threats to offensive teams. It still packs quite a punch too, and although it doesn't nuke defensive teams like MHera does, it can pose a serious threat to bulky teams that rely on Pokemon like Landorus-T, Latias, Clefable and Tangrowth to check Fighting-types. Plus, access to Poison Jab and Ice Punch lets it hit things MHera can't (Azumarill and Clefable for Poison Jab, Landorus-T and Gliscor for Ice Punch). I'm pretty confident that this thing will be solid OU, and it'll defenitely give Mega Heracross a run for its money, especially when you consider all the other sets it could run.

Last edited:
Yea, this thing's physical bulk is actually crazy, even uninvested. and IMO Bulk Up or just plain "lots of HP investment" sets are gonna be common with this.

252+ Atk Landorus-T Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heracross: 98-116 (27.6 - 32.6%) -- 72.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heracross: 127-151 (35.7 - 42.5%) -- 91.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heracross: 178-211 (50.1 - 59.4%) -- 80.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heracross: 207-244 (58.3 - 68.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Crunch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heracross: 83-98 (23.3 - 27.6%) -- 74.5% chance to 4HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Mega Heracross Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heracross: 150-180 (42.2 - 50.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Zen Headbutt vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heracross: 278-330 (78.3 - 92.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

The reason this thing is so good has to do with Beast Boost. It takes on the same things M-Hera does, except it has Ice Punch, too and even better bulk. Sure, it lacks CC and Megahorn, but I don't think it needs those when it has such reliable recovery, fantastic coverage options, and a dumb ability that will just keep boosting its stats. Easy OU, with the potential to join Hoopa-U in Ubers due to murdering stall single handed.

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Leech Life / Ice Punch
- Poison Jab / Ice Punch
- Roost
Hey love the set! Just wondering what your idea is with those specific EVs. Any reason for 100 Speed?

Hey love the set! Just wondering what your idea is with those specific EVs. Any reason for 100 Speed?
100 Speed reaches 219 Speed
Outspeeds Jolly Max Speed Azu, Speed ties with Max speed Modest Magnezone, Outspeeds Sp.def Excadrill. At -1 Speed, it Outspeeds anything with less than base 53 speed with no speed investment. Speed ties with Gourgeist-super at -1.

100 Speed reaches 219 Speed
Outspeeds Jolly Max Speed Azu, Speed ties with Max speed Modest Magnezone, Outspeeds Sp.def Excadrill. At -1 Speed, it Outspeeds anything with less than base 53 speed with no speed investment. Speed ties with Gourgeist-super at -1.
Is Jolly Max Speed Azu a thing? Specs Mag doesn't usually run Max Speed either IIRC, and Sp.Def Drill can't really hurt you.

Is Jolly Max Speed Azu a thing? Specs Mag doesn't usually run Max Speed either IIRC, and Sp.Def Drill can't really hurt you.
He only asked the reason for 100 speed evs. Gave some reasons, but didn't bother going into depth with it. Also I'm not Albacore so he probably has some reasons for running 100 speed.

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Leech Life / Ice Punch
- Poison Jab / Ice Punch
- Roost

which provides a very solid and consistent check to the likes of Excadrill, Weavile, Bisharp and Mega Lopunny, all of which are massive threats to offensive teams. It still packs quite a punch too, and although it doesn't nuke defensive teams like MHera does, it can pose a serious threat to bulky teams that rely on Pokemon like Landorus-T, Latias, Clefable and Tangrowth to check Fighting-types. Plus, access to Poison Jab and Ice Punch lets it hit things MHera can't (Azumarill and Clefable for Poison Jab, Landorus-T and Gliscor for Ice Punch). I'm pretty confident that this thing will be solid OU, and it'll defenitely give Mega Heracross a run for its money, especially when you consider all the other sets it could run.
This is pretty much the gist of what I had in mind as well. If you wanted something with even more physical bulk, a spread of 252 HP / 64 Atk / 192 Def with an Adamant nature could work. The Atk investment is enough to hit a jump point, but more importantly, it puts Buzzwole's Atk just a hair higher than its Def so that it gets an Atk boost from Beast Boost. Meanwhile, the extra physical bulk lets you soak up some powerful attacks like CB Terrakion's Stone Edge, LO Excadrill/Bisharp's Iron Head, and Mega Lopunny's Return with impressive ease.

But yeah, this guy is definitely my favorite Ultra Beast, from both a casual and a competitive standpoint. A lot of the stat spreads on the new 7th Gen Pokemon have been disappointing or just plain bad, but I like how they designed Buzzwole's. His low special bulk is balanced out by his titanic physical bulk, he has a great Atk stat with no excessive stat points wasted on SpA, and his Spe is solid enough for a bulky tank. His movepool also ended up pretty good, including cool tools like Roost, BoltBeam Punches, Earthquake, and the new and improved Leech Life. With that kind of physical power, bulk, and the snowball effect you can get from Beast Boost, it's hard for me to see him not making an impact in OU.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)