CAP 11 CAP 11 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
out of all of these i must say DougJustDoug's gorilla and hark's Samurai get to me... cant wait to see them finished :)

If only I could, Gasoline. Will do my best though. :) Thanks for sharing that feed!
no problem, it looks good, just a bit too simple... and i suggest a different color scheme, maybe grayish/black instead of purple. Purple is usually for psychic/poison types...

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
After doing my last design, I started thinking of voodoo and came up with this Voodoo Doll design.

I incorporated all the standard voodoo doll elements -- rough stitching, button eyes, pins, and the sewn-on heart with a sewing needle shoved straight through it. Since many voodoo dolls are made with a lock of the victim's hair attached to the head, I decided to turn it into a ponytail. I'd really like to see us make a CAP pokemon with a clear female design bias (a la Gardevoir, Jynx, etc), and when I was drawing the hair, I saw this as an opportunity to do that.

This design is also influenced by some of the characters from the movie "9" (great animation, btw) -- without all the steampunk. So, for any of you that are fans of the movie, I'm sure you'll see some similarities.

I like this design, and I think it fits the concept quite well. When it comes to "fighting dirty", you can't get much more evil than voodoo! And it has a massive magic element to it, which should allow it to support the special attacking bias of the stat spread. Since the stat spread is going to be quite fast, I didn't want to make this a big puffy voodoo doll. By making it sleeker and more dynamic, I think it plays up the feminine side of it too. Being a voodoo doll, I think it's pretty obvious it can take some damage.

If this thing were in the real game, it would get Pin Missile and Pain Split, for sure...

The first thing I thought of when I saw your new design was "is that 9?" I like the design, but I really feel that you should get away from 9 a bit and try to make your design even more unique. You could stick to the voodoo doll approach, but take it from a new angle. Regardless though, good job on the design! I look forward to seeing it grow!

Also this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihax0wA7Bcs

I also thought of this video when I saw your concept. If you haven't watched it, it is a great short animated film a friend introduced me too.

sorry to give bad feedback but honestly that thing remind me of Patrick from spongebob xD Honestly you could do better than a pointy-armed thing with a pokeball on its belly.

@ungulateman: omg i was just talking about that in the ability thread xD i swear people dont take the idea of "why would this pokemon have this" into consideration with the abilities >.> well back on topic...

Colour get

Edit again: trying out a different colour scheme. Doesn't work as well in my eyes, but least it doesn't scream Zoroark. Have you seen the colour schemes for all the Dark Pokemon? It's mostly just black and red, and maybe a lil' bit of white thrown in for good measure. Not the most varied palette.

Those colours are far too similar to Zoroark. And Weavile actually.

I don't really know what to suggest, apart from moving away from the dark grey + red combination.

Started out influenced by a demon and a masquerade.

I think masquerade quickly became super villain, but that's not a bad thing!

Linework is pretty much done. Shading is rough. No highlights yet.

I'm thinking of smoothing the muscle mass into more abstract shapes (like almost all Fighting-type Pokémon besides Machamp family).

Now for my praises and comments:

SEO: Love everything about your temple guardian. The purple skin is awesome and the white hair is definitely cool too- I think you've found your color scheme. It's not an easy thing to convey in art, but you are consistently portraying him as truly burdened. It's awesome.

pkmn-taicho321: Love the Girafarig-inspired Lion. If only you could make it look fighting-type. The Japanese monster you've got going on now is scary!

Paras Hilton: Love them both, especially the Ninja with long arms. Awesome action poses!

Kitsunine: Toguardian is completely intriguing and disturbing.

DougJustDoug: Love the concept for Jackrip. He's certainly dark-type. Not sure if you can lean him more toward fighting without ruining the reference :/. I like the gorilla, it's certainly dark! The voodoo doll is a great idea for dark/fighting.

Cartoons!: Bruisemon looks brutal and tragic at the same time. Nicely executed.

Caladbolg~: I like the clown. Admittedly, I liked the extra-large pants from earlier designs, but the newer versions look more like Pokémon. Gotta say: the mullett is terrifying :D.

Wyverii: I'm in love with your raccoon. Pulls off dark-type in a non-typical color scheme and pulls off fighting-type without the bulkiness. I also quite enjoy the Togekiss references in the design.

ckpmax1108: Like most, I'm thoroughly impressed by both the rooster and the badger. I think for this CAP's typing, the badger is by far in your best interest. I'm completely fascinated by the designs inherent in his fur shape and coloring. I'm 100% sold on the dark-type. I still need to be convinced that he's fighting-type though.

Doran Dragon: Your design has piqued my interest- I don't really know what it is! To me it looks like a knight- and it looks dark/fighting, especially with the recent changes.

C~Dog: I want to see more of your large statue/robot guardian. He's totally awesome. I do like the long-armed monkey and I'm quite interested to see the lizard get further developed. His action poses are awesome!

Yilx: Really like your ogremon, actually. Would like to see it further developed.

Buffalo_Wings: Your "gargoylesque" barbarian is awesome. I was disappointed he wasn't further developed until I saw your evil sensei, who is absolutely perfect for CAP11. He looks so much like a Pokémon. Definitely top three, possibly my favorite.

Gun6: I had actually thought of a Japanese-style monster (like an oni) and was pleased to see somebody had actually drawn one! I really like it and I think it would make a convincing Pokémon. I quite like the floaty shield guy you've got going on now. Very different from all the humanshape stuff. The shooting star guy is the coolest of the three... it just needs a color swap to make it more different than Lucario.

Zee-V70: Your creature with points on its knees is the stuff of nightmares :).

Venator: I love his smirk.

bugmaniacbob: I would like to see your first concept pursued. He seems peaceful and menacing at the same time and that makes it interesting.

Scicky: Your blob pseudo-kiss cracks me up!

Azul: That bazooka is perfectly creepy.

Fajironri: Yours is actually very interesting and certainly unique. Originally it looked like a tennis ball launcher to me but I've just realized it's a training dummy and I quite like it.

darkmattr: He's awesome. The cocoon-like action of his scarf is interesting and he looks dark/fighting. His mouth is haunting!

jujuomi: I really like your "Shadow the Hedgehog"-looking Pokemon. I'd say make that a pre-evolution of your final submission. It needs to grow up a little bit and then it's totally awesome.

hark: Loving the samurai.

alix13: Really like the look of your gargoyle. He looks mean.

chomzloh: I like the rabbit! The way you've done the ears is great for the fighting-type look. I'd experiment with different colors (b/c it does like instantly like Zoroark) but wouldn't necessarily change them.

aragornbird: I really like the direction you work has gone in. I think it's really cool how statuesque your panther looks.

ZakkiOrichalcum: Shazman is really cool and quite interesting. The concept of taking other Pokémon's parts as trophies is super interesting but there was so much going on it was kind of overwhelming! The more recent pictures that don't have as much stuff are a lot better! I like the tail striped.

Swaggersaurus: I like how "flowy" your little Tanuki feels. He's very cool.

Kukem: I like Darkloris! You've done a good job showing the dark/fighting typing. Great dynamic pose.

suntt123: Great dark/fighting Pokémon. I'd like to see more!

PuffinHour: Like the walrus! I like it better without the scarf, btw.

SoIheardyoulikeSENTRET: I really enjoy your sketches. I think the ones that are coming out of the ground (6 and 2) have an interesting concept to pursue.

Just a quick update here, I haven't had a lot of time to be able to improve the design yet, but I'm trying out a few color schemes - let me know what you think!

I'm going to keep playing around with the colors, but let me know how these ones are!

@Nopie: Of those I like the purple one the most. If you want to try a different colour than what's there, I would suggest tope for contrast or orange.

Final Submission

Is 69.6 kb acceptable, doug, hmmm?

Attack art:

Backstory:
"Shazman," the trophy-seeking Pokemon. These pokemon are known to go after big threats to gain a prize of its victory. Bugs and Avians are the "Shazman's" main diet, consisting of Nincada, Pidgey, and Caterpie mostly. Zapdos are these types favored prey, using there large range of tactics to destroy these larger, more legendary avians. Scizor is the next prey, as they are an honorable warrior and a feat to fight. Defeating this foe causes great joy in the "Shazman" communities.
A 'treat' to a "Shazman" are Spinarak and Ariados, and Paras and Parasect. The poison that consists in the Spinarak family is a tasty treat to any "Shazman" as it drifts deeply into poison sacs in its stomach, the sour-liquid can be regurgitated if necessary. On the other side, the delectable tochukasu mushrooms are loved by all "Shazman," and tribes will fight over Paras family grounds. Ranks can be told by the Spinarak/Ariados crest that they wear.
However, "Shazman" can not do everything by themselves, partnering with Togekiss colonies, caring for the young Togepi, and teaching Focus Punch, Drain Punch, and Brick Break classes to lower Togetic and Togekiss. Since Togekiss are not much of an avian but more of a fairy, Togekiss meat taste awful to a "Shazman," making it more beneficial to the two species to help one another than to fight amongst themselves.
The partnership is know of legends, taking down most threats to the tribal-colonies with much ease.

Inspiration
Monkeys are a very simple version of what a fighting type could be. Now add that with a mask and an unruly obsession with gathering trophies of fallen foes, you get "Shazman." Has a need to decorate themselves with the main positions of the foes.

Thank you for your time. :D

This is my submission. It somehow reminds me of a rabbit.... I´m not sure with the colors yet, even tough I think it looks pretty good. Opinions?

Edit: Scarfhands edited. They now are part of the mask thing.

That's actually a pretty nifty design. I like the extra scarf-arms, but maybe you could make it so they appear to be directly connected to the "scarf" over its mouth instead of just coming out of its cheeks.

@xx99: Thank you for being nice and commenting on everyone's ideas. :)

@meekhead: I like the art because it's dynamic. :)

I finally have some supporting art for my shooting star Pokemon. It's slightly boring, but it gives a side view. I also altered the coloration of the pants to fix the Lucario resemblance (thank you xx99).

@Gun

I'm really loving the Shooting Star idea. Of all the ideas here, I think it does the best job of pulling off a Fighting/Dark SPECIALLY based Pokemon. Not exactly an obvious combination of traits. I really like it, keep it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)