CAP 13 CAP 2 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just something I feel like I should say, even though I'm no art critcic.

The design should not OVER-emphisise Sketch. Sketch isn't even going to be in the natural level-up movepool for this mon, it's going to be an egg move [Otherwise it's just Smergle V1000, as it could just re-learn sketch].

As the first example I can think of [It's the most recent] for this going too far is Wyverii's. It screams sketch more than even Smergle, yet it's not going to be something this mon learns naturally.

I'd suggest to focus more on the typing than Sketch. While Sketch is, admittedly, the concept, making a design based on an attack a mon dosen't learn viva level up seems foolish.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The pokemon should have a means of using Sketch somehow, so it should probably have hands or some kind of appendage (or a display that can be changed like on Mos-Quixote's paperman) But it shouldn't be overstated. If a pokemon has paintbrushes for hands, then it'd probably be a bit daft that it doesn't learn Sketch by level up. :p

@Raikaria - The Topic Leader, Rising Dusk, has already weighed in on this issue:

I have to say that I'm genuinely surprised in how little people seem to try to communicate Sketch in the design; I thought that'd be the crux of the art uniqueness of this CAP. I understand that we're forced to put Sketch as an egg move so that it actually works, but it is very fundamental to the way the Pokemon operates, and I think it'd be really great if the art reflected that.
I tend to agree that the whole flavour of this CAP is Sketch, so the design should account for that but it doesn't quite have to in that (I think) it's plausible for any Ghost to use apparitions/channelling for Sketch.

Feedback
Wyverii - Looking great. I really like the route you've taken with the inking, and your design looks by far the most likely to be breeding with Smeargle anytime soon (not that that matters in a world where Skittys <3 Wailord). The palette is really nice, the boldness is very "Pokemon".

Doran Dragon - A very cute, very simple design. I think you could develop a more 120-attack-looking Pokemon if you treated that as a pre-evo and developed it further, but it does work stand-alone. I'd like so see some more poses, and some of the thought that went into it.

RotationalBasis - The antennae + body shape just signal beetle and Bug type for me, but it's original!

Energy Storm - The general cobra concept is great, but it's looking a bit busy at the moment. Could you make the design a bit simpler, but keep the same theme?

Birkal - Really glad to see you continuing with this guy, he has such personality. You could make the shiny or female purple like those heirloom corn varieties and like other Ghost types, but the main colour scheme is perfect. Looking forward to more developed supporting material, cos otherwise I think you've got a great entry.

Mos-Quitoxe - Love the gender differences! Love the supporting art.

Additional Supporting Material

Will replace some of the other stuff, cos the entry is getting a bit bloated. Seeing as there's extra time, might as well include less rushed pics:

Crunch, Night Slash, & Sacred Fire

You don't have to follow what I said there, it was just how I personally feel. When it comes to art, I highly suspect that I will slate any legal final submission. You'd have to make something really outlandish or inappropriate for me to not slate it.

Raikaria's got a point there. A pokemon based around Sketch is clearly not what we are looking for. However, I think that Wyverii's concept pretty much nailed it, since it doesn't scream sketch unless we make it do so. I mean, it could be a Pokemon based on writing that could eventually learn sketch, fitting the concept perfectly. But then again, that's just a possible interpretation. The same applies to Mos Quitoxe's.

Raikaria's got a point there. A pokemon based around Sketch is clearly not what we are looking for. However, I think that Wyverii's concept pretty much nailed it, since it doesn't scream sketch unless we make it do so. I mean, it could be a Pokemon based on writing that could eventually learn sketch, fitting the concept perfectly. But then again, that's just a possible interpretation. The same applies to Mos Quitoxe's.
The whole concept is based around sketch, sure you don't have to include it (diglet nears aerial ace for christ's sake), but it's something that defines the pokemon, sort of like how sketch define smeargle and how transform defines ditto. Even if the 'mon only gets sketch once, that's enough to make it one unpredictable beast, more than smeargle I think.

I also don't think it's fair to say something like "what we are looking for" you shouldn't speak for every voter here with just four posts, even if you lurk a lot. I speak for myself when I say I love any design that makes sketch a clear part of that design.

Birkal: I must say I am in love with the design, except the purple trim seems a little off. Have you tried other colors in place of it?

Mos-Quitoxe: I love the design except for 1 small nitpick: it does not look bulky enough. Then again it is paper so I guess it ca't be helped...
Wyverii: This is really well done and I love how the Sketch relation isn't too vague or too obvious.
Yilx: This is one of my fovorite designs, and I am glad you chose this over the heart mirror one. The only thing is it looks a little bit more specially offensive than physically, but it is still great and I think it is perfect
bugmaniacbob: This is probably tied for my favorite one. It portrays type, style, and stats perfectly. Well done bugmaniacbob
KoA: This is my favorite. I LOVE the idea of it being a pot/spirit. It looks cute too ;D

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I am close to making a final submission, but I have a little more supporting stuff for my Weeping Willow design.

Weeping Willow Backstory
A long time ago, there was a great silent film actress in Unova who was the most acclaimed actress of her time. It was said she could learn any role instantly and portray it flawlessly. Her acting talent was exceeded only by her legendary beauty, and she amassed great wealth and fame.

But over time, black and white silent movies were replaced by technicolor films with sound, and the actress was no longer in demand for starring roles. As she grew older, her youthful looks gave way to the wrinkles that come with age. Soon the actress was forgotten by the public, and despite all her past successes, the actress became deeply depressed and saddened.

One day, the actress' phone rang. It was a call from a famous movie producer in a faraway land. He claimed to be a great fan of the actress, and was producing a new movie just for her. The new movie would restore her to the headlines, and show the world that she was still a star. The producer arranged for a luxurious ship to bring the actress to the new region where she would be greeted with great fanfare. On the appointed day, the actress put on her finest dress, gathered her belongings and her most prestigious acting awards, and went to the Unova shore. She could barely contain her excitement as she waited for the ship to arrive!

Unfortunately, many hours passed and the ship never came. As night fell, the actress took shelter under a nearby willow tree to protect her from the elements. The next day came and went, and still no ship arrived. The actress waited day after day, refusing to leave the waterside, barely eating or sleeping, waiting for a ship that would never come.

If passers-by came near the actress by the tree, she would frantically ask them if they knew who she was, ask how she looked, and ask if they had seen a luxurious ship that was to carry her away to a faraway land for her to star in a big new movie. Frightened by her gaunt appearance, people would usually run away, leaving the actress to cry by the tree alone every day and night.

No one knows what eventually became of the actress. Many people assume she wasted away and died there by the willow tree. Legend has it that after she died, the spirit of the actress merged with the willow tree.

Many years later, a new breed of pokemon appeared in Unova. It is a ghostly female apparition in black and white, with long willowy leaves, that always carries golden masks. The pokemon is cursed with no mouth, and cannot utter a sound.

Trainers call the pokemon "Weeping Willow", because when the wind blows through its long leaves, it sounds exactly like the sobs of a crying woman. If trainers approach the waters edge in Unova, they will often quickly encounter a Weeping Willow. Although most people assume the pokemon is aggressive and wants to frighten people or attack them, expert Weeping Willow trainers say the pokemon simply wants to get attention and to prove they are beautiful.

When near the shore, Weeping Willows will often gesture out toward the sea, and wander around, apparently desperate for some answer to a question they cannot ask. They are left to weep alone in total silence, save for the cry of the wind through their leaves...

Where do Weeping Willow's masks come from?

Several people have asked me how Weeping Willow gets her masks. I could dismiss the question, or ask where Gurdurr gets a steel I-beam or where Alakazam gets his spoons. But I have an answer that I think fits nicely with the lore of this sad little pokemon.

"Weeping Willow's golden masks are not made of metal. They are made of shimmering golden amber that comes from resin produced by Willow's body. Weeping Willow is much like a tree, with roots and leaves, and trees secrete resin when their bark is damaged. How does Weeping Willow secrete resin? -- from her tears, of course. When Weeping Willow cries, she cries shimmering golden tears. Her masks are a direct byproduct of her sorrow and regret."

Doug, i love your backstory. The mon is already very sleek and appealing to the eye, and the story on the creation of the masks is also delightful. Great job ^^

also i like birkal's corn ghost. Cute but scary(ish). Good job to both of you and every other application!

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
WIP - Headless Onion & Pumpkin

Here is my work in progress.
Sorry for my crap english, I can´t write a backstory, but it's based on Headless Horseman of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. The Onion is the main head, who manipulates the rest of the body with its ghost powers.

The backstory is beautiful Doug rich in tragedy but the last part leave some unfortunate implications in my mind. If all "Weeping Willows" when near the shoreline and if the legend are to be taken as truth, wouldn't that mean that every single Weeping Willow in Unova possess the same sad soul within? Talk about a fate worse than death on a grand scale.

The explanation on where her golden masks come from was a nice touch as well. Shame you don't have time to draw a picture of her wearing one of them for theatrical effect.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Alright, so since the arms and antennas looked too robot-like, I changed their appearance. This also meant changing the mask, but IMO, it looks a lot more dead now, fitting the ghost typing better.

Originally, I wanted to base the concept around a bush. However, a bush is rather boring on it's own, but it gets the versatility of having branches that can form in multiple different ways (tying into sketch very nicely imo). I wanted to give it a definite shape, so I decided to for-go a narwhal due to the simplicity of a normal narwhals shape. The planks are meant to be it's arms, while the snowman hands are meant to be antennas-styled limbs. The mask, imo, is the best part. It has a nice dead look to it. As for the eye, it has a sinister look to it, and lets me explain how certain moves [assuming it gets these moves, Will-o-Wisp, Solar Beam, ect.] come out of it. Also, it looks rather nice and fits the design.

The Reptile - You can draw, but I think you need to make it much clearer what it is you're aiming to do. I can see a lot of fun elements in your picture - an eyeball monster, two wooden planks, two snowman arms, all configured like a narwhal (my tone is not mocking here, its just hard to see how these all fit together). How does it stand? Which end is its face (if it has one)? I think for this design to develop further or gather useful criticism you need to tell us what is influencing you, or could draw it in some poses that clarify which is what. I like what's going into it, I love the way you've drawn its bushiness and its mask.

canno

formerly The Reptile
The Reptile - You can draw, but I think you need to make it much clearer what it is you're aiming to do. I can see a lot of fun elements in your picture - an eyeball monster, two wooden planks, two snowman arms, all configured like a narwhal. How does it stand? Which end is its face (if it has one)? I think for this design to develop further or gather useful criticism you need to tell us what is influencing you, or could draw it in some poses that clarify which is what. I like what's going into it, I love the way you've drawn its bushiness and its mask.
Thanks for the critique! I will most definitely draw it in a different pose.

Originally, I wanted to base the concept around a bush. However, a bush is rather boring on it's own, but it gets the versatility of having branches that can form in multiple different ways (tying into sketch very nicely imo). I wanted to give it a definite shape, so I decided to for-go a narwhal due to the simplicity of a normal narwhals shape. The planks are meant to be it's arms, while the snowman hands are meant to be antennas-styled limbs. The mask, imo, is the best part. It has a nice dead look to it. As for the eye, it has a sinister look to it, and lets me explain how certain moves [assuming it gets these moves, Will-o-Wisp, Solar Beam, ect.] come out of it. Also, it looks rather nice and fits the design.

I will try to draw it in more poses so that the actual design of it becomes much more clear.

Again, thanks for the critique. I'm adding my little paragraph to the original post.

@pkmn-taicho321: You're right, "what we're looking for" is a rather ambitious statement, now that I look at it. My bad. And by "a pokemon based around sketch" I meant only the artistic aspect of it. I'll be more careful with what I type from now on. I'll type that sentence again: CAP doesn't need to be too obvious about sketch. After all, it's an event/egg move.

Other than that, Calad your design looks awesome! I really like it.

upload it onto imageshack or something

Man, tea_and_blues has just about the best design in the thread. Love the concept, love the colours. Change nothing.

Several people have asked me how Weeping Willow gets her masks. I could dismiss the question, or ask where Gurdurr gets a steel I-beam or where Alakazam gets his spoons. But I have an answer that I think fits nicely with the lore of this sad little pokemon.
Plat/B/W dex entry:
The spoons clutched in its hands are said to have been created by its psychic powers.

I really like your design and I like how it fits the flavour of Sketch in a different manner which is refreshing.

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Design update!

I definitely slimmed out my design too much last time. I am still playing around with this and trying to combine all the elements that I've been thinking about in the best way. I've come up with two potential combinations: A is more on the grassy side, with grass-fur spikes like a porcupine, B is more on the ghosty side, with a grassy-ghosty cape tail instead of legs.
Design wise, I think I prefer B. I'd really like to hear what you guys prefer, or if you don't like either of them. I honestly don't have much more time to spend on this so if I could get some help finalizing things it would be super appreciated.

Paintseagull, I love your design. I love Option A, It gives off a creepy, but bulky look. Just fantastic stuff. :)

@paintseagull: Design B is much better. Without the pattern on its back, there's no way for anyone to tell it was based on Crop Circles from its appearance. People would have to know what you were going for to understand it.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
paintseagull: I personally prefer design B. While Design A is pretty cool, it is hard to really see your whole concept in it without the designs on it being as visible. Additionally, the large arms and body make it look really unbalanced, as if it could fall over any minute. Design B I think gets the idea across much better. I would however consider reducing the amount of fur around the legs, as right now its hard to tell if it even has legs under there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)