CAP 3 CAP 3 Art Submission Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bluekikatana, you're missing the point of the project - to create a Pokemon for the OU metagame. We can't allow us to be restricted by what a Pokemon looks like. In my opinion it would be better suited after everything is done, so we don't get amazing art (like the woodman) that we simply cannot use.
But do you think the actual Pokemon company writes down a set of stats first then designs a Pokemon around the stats? I genuinely believe they design a good looking character concept first then put the stats and moves to match its body type. Not just is this the most practical way to do it, but it also allows for the members here to choose the coolest looking Pokemon design out of all the new art without those restrictions of "we can't choose that one because it needs to be special and it looks mostly physical".

Maybe I am missing the competitive point of the project, but from a practical artistic concept of how games are created, I believe my point makes the most sense. What is really more limiting; choosing the best looking character design concept first and giving it suitable competitive stats/move list or choosing a set of stats first then rejecting many character designs despite how good they look simple for the fact of them not looking the part for the stats?

All of Elagune's look great! I have to say, though, that aside from "woodman" the other three would make a great evolution line.

CyzirVisheen's all look pretty good. I'm really liking the idea of the exploding pea pod.

I really want to see a great Jack-o-lantern sketch!

We aren't doing what Nintendo does though.

"The Create-A-Pokémon project is a community dedicated to exploring and understanding the competitive Pokémon metagame by designing, creating, and playtesting new Pokémon concepts."

The CAP project has many avid Pokémon fans amongst it's contributors, but it isn't a fan project. It is a project dedicated to detailed exploration and experimentation with competitive Pokémon play.

So in other words, stats first, art later.

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Ahaha, I've been waiting for this. Here are my submissions!

Liking these two. I find the latter a lot better looking but I guess we'll just have to see the 'typing' (i.e. physical or special) that it'll get after the 17th.

Special would suit the first one while physical corresponds with the 2nd one.

dude, i suck at art, but that looks like a monkey on crack with a flower literally tied to it's back. Nice line art though; maybe something like Woodman?

pyrrhocorax, the snake fucking rocks, Nice work! I'd imagine it to be immensely large. Maybe it could be a continent poke like groudon and torterra...

I'd submit something, but I can't draw...

I probably will have a design up by tonight, tomorrow at the latest. But of the designs I see right now, the second one that Elagune did is seeming to be one of the better designs.

Love pyro's snake design and Elagune's first one even though i don't believe it looks bulky enough. It would make a really good fast mixed attacker though.

The woodman is a great design but i don't think it fits the fire/grass typing at all. It does fit most of the stat spreads being proposed, just make the arm's in to cannons. Then again i can't justify giving it anything less then about 120 physical attack either. It just reminds of something that should be a base 600 monster like ttar and garchomp.

I am not a great artist but someone needs to make a rastifarian chili pepper, the hair would be grass.

I like Elagune's second and third designs (specially the second, it's quite original, basing the grass part on wood instead of leaves), Cyzir's third one (Pepper Dimetrodon, awesome!), and I really, REALLY like pyrrhocorax's lava snake. I don't know if it's the vivid colours, the original and fitting design, or the good quality of the drawing in general, but I love it.

Also, I'd like to say we're lucky to have so many great designs so soon. You rule!

CyzirVisheen's third sketch is probably my favourite for now. I really really admire the woodman, but it doesn't fit the stats at all. The snake is a very cool concept as well, but I can't imagine that one being fast enough.

Elagune's first one looks very good too, but reminds me a little too much of Weavile.

EDIT: Bluekikatana, you're missing the point of the project - to create a Pokemon for the OU metagame. We can't allow us to be restricted by what a Pokemon looks like. In my opinion it would be better suited after everything is done, so we don't get amazing art (like the woodman) that we simply cannot use.
Actually, with a creative enough pokédex entry you can justify mostly anything. A random example: let's name the lava snake, for example, "Grassnake". The entry could look like this: "Despite the appearances, GRASSNAKE can move blindingly fast, flowing from place to place in an instant. A hot trail is left where it passed." Something similar could be invented to make the other designs fit the stats.

I see the designs as something not too related to the stats. as long as they portray the typing well, and the design is good, they're good to me.

However, your idea of making art last is not bad at all. In fact, I really like it. It let us design everything related to the competitive aspects first without being tied by the art, including the movepool. And in fact, the movepool could be divided in two parts: One, before the design, consisting only on competition-worthy moves. Then, after the art is chosen, another discussion to add some "flavor" moves and the order they are learned, etc.

I'm at school right now, but I'll post mine when I get home. It uses the jack-o-lantern concept too, but it's pretty different from Boingo's. You'll see :)

How much detail do you think people want to see? I simplified my original sketch some because I've seen quite a few comments like "This looks too much like a Digimon" or "Most Pokemon have less detail."

Actually, with a creative enough pokédex entry you can justify mostly anything. A random example: let's name the lava snake, for example, "Grassnake". The entry could look like this: "Despite the appearances, GRASSNAKE can move blindingly fast, flowing from place to place in an instant. A hot trail is left where it passed." Something similar could be invented to make the other designs fit the stats.
I hate to split hairs, but lava actually moves rather slowly.

I hate to split hairs, but lava actually moves rather slowly.
Yeah, I know, but people tend to mistake the moving speed of lava and that of a pyroclastic flow, which is the fast one, and since pokémon isn't exactly scientifically accurate, I don't see any harm there.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Art and stats have very little to do with each other. In fact, art has very little to do with anything.

Why is Lucario a "Steel" type?
Why is Mamoswine (a big elephant, basically) so fast?
Why isn't Magnezone levitating?
Why is Flygon not Flying?
How the hell is Garchomp (a shark) Dragon/Ground?!?!
Why is Celebi/Jirachi/Uxie so damn bulky?
Why is Paras/Parasect (a crab) considered Bug/Grass and not Water?
Sudowoodo. (no explanation necessary)
Please show me the Ice or Psychic "look" in Jynx.
How does Togetic (a little 7-pound bird) have such high defenses?

Don't actually answer any of these questions. I could add a million more. Yes, there are many pokemon whose artwork supports its typing, stats, and moves. But there are MANY that have little to no correlation. I know everyone will continue to judge the artwork based on whether it supports our Grass/Fire poke and the presumed build. But, I really wish people could just vote on a cool design and not worry about the other stuff. It's obvious that Nintendo does not require any kind of direct correlation -- Why should we?

I have a hand-drawn submission, but I don't have any scanning methods available. Would you guys accept a digital photo of the drawing?

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The best so far IMO are these:

Very cool, with a bit more fire and some flamethrowers in the arms I can see this thing winning.

urm... WOW amazing idea i can see it working great! This could be my favorite.

Two more exelent ideas from the creator of Syclant, The explodeing pea pod is the one i like best, but a dinosaur/chilli pepper is hard to resist.

Art and stats have very little to do with each other. In fact, art has very little to do with anything.

Don't actually answer any of these questions. I could add a million more. Yes, there are many pokemon whose artwork supports its typing, stats, and moves. But there are MANY that have little to no correlation. I know everyone will continue to judge the artwork based on whether it supports our Grass/Fire poke and the presumed build. But, I really wish people could just vote on a cool design and not worry about the other stuff. It's obvious that Nintendo does not require any kind of direct correlation -- Why should we?
I'm going to answer your questions because it seemed like you were trying to prove a point, but I don't see it because most of those questions actually have easy explanations to them that actually show how the design of a Pokemon influences how they are played in the game.

Ever seen the Lucario movie? By the personality type of Lucario, the steel basically is a figure of "valor" and a loyal servant knight, and while it probably can be seen as just part psychic with his aura, the blue color added to its body suggests cold/hard material a lot like steel. Psychic and Dark also tend to be the opposite of valorous/loyal like, so steel fits it well.

Elephants can easily outrun a man.

It gets a levitate move upon evolution.

It's a dragon, and dragons can fly.

It's based on a land shark. A shark that lives in the sand and that can fly as fast as a jet plane.

They're all based on mythical, legendary Pokemon, that have been around longer than most regular Pokemon.

It's a parasite attached to a mushroom that specialized in spore like powders. I haven't seen too many mushrooms underwater.

Not even sure what you mean.

It's based on a Japanese ice demon.

Again this Pokemon is supposed to have mythical properties, mostly ones that have to do with good luck and healing. I don't think it's too bulky, but it's more defensive than most birds.

Besides Pokemon being all numbers (which they're in data) they all have stories behind them, folklore, it's what is supposed to make them entertaining.

I sketched up something kinda generic, but nonetheless I think it's nice. I have no means of scanning or photographing it at the moment, but I will if someone's willing to take a look at it. I'm not skilled enough to make it anywhere near a decent sprite or official art though, and I know I'd hate it to work off the basic idea of someone else. Nonetheless, I hope to inspire others.

Yeah, I know, but people tend to mistake the moving speed of lava and that of a pyroclastic flow, which is the fast one, and since pokémon isn't exactly scientifically accurate, I don't see any harm there.
Year 8 geology, you've let me down for the last time! But yeah, that's what I meant. A fire/grass pokemon is going to have difficulty being really plausible anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)