CAP 4 CAP 4 - Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, the spider "kumo" is written in katakana meaning there's probably a language that spiders are called "kumo" or something like that. So what language is that from...if anyone knows.
Nah, I'd say it's more about the Japanese getting fed up with their unreadable runes and deciding to switch to vaguely more readable ones. 蜘蛛 is kanji and also reads kumo, I believe (At least I'm fairly sure it's the "gumo" part of Tsuchigumo. ) But it also looks like two blocks of black with white dots to me.

Good riddance, to be honest. Wikipedia also says modern Chinese loanwords are also now written in katakana, and typing 蜘蛛 redirects you to クモ in Japanese Wikipedia. Either that or Japanese Wikipedia is simplifying things for convenience.

Edit: Yes, it's Wikipedia simplifying things for convenience. Disregard the katakana version, kanji seems to be the correct usage. Why doesn't it give a disambiguition page of cloud/spider is beyond me. I don't even know Japanese anyways, so it's none of my concern.

Basing this guy's name off his metagame purpose seems a bit silly. There aren't any Pokémon around who's names are like "Sweeper," "Tank," or "Wall."
Miltank, also.

So far, I like 'Fidgit' the best. However, I will still submit my own. If you see, DLL has only four fingers instead of the usual five. Syndactyly is a condition where some fingers are fused together, resulting in less fingers. Utility, as you all know is the entire concept of this Pokémon. Notice how the back end of Syndactyly is similar to the back end of Utility, sound-wise. So, mix and match, and this is my product: Sintility.

I think I got a few good ones

Terrandora - Tarantula, with er instead of a to represent terra, meaning earth, a d instead of a t to represent hand (without the h), and or instead of ul to represent borer (without the b, and with a instead of er), because it bores, or digs, into the ground

Spidilitic - Utility, with spid instead of u to represent spider (without the er), because that's what it is, and ic instead of y to represent toxic (without the tox), which is kind of obvious

Utilitti

It was the concept from the very beginning. Why not make it the name?
that sounds nothing at all like utility or a pokemon name =P.
if we make a word bank of things that this pokemon represents, we can figure out a good name, right?
harvestman
spider
hands
dexterity
utility
octo

so, i will start with harvest man and make combinations go down the line
harvesider (harvest+spider)
harvesands [(harvest+hands)has sand which = earth]
harverit (harvest+dexterity)
harvitilit (harvest+utility)
harvocto (harvest+octo)

then spider

sparvist (spider+harvest)
spidands (spider+hands)
spidexer (spider+dexterity)
spidilit (spider+utility)
spidocto (spider+octo)

etc. if you just think of all the possibilities, im sure one of you will figure out a perfect name.
IMO, harvesands sounds good.

@Tennis: I think DiamondDust was simply explaining on how to make a name ( albeit unecessary ). None of them were actual name submissions. This is visible from the last two lines in his post.

those weren't name submissions, tennis, they were ideas that someone could submit. i wasn't submitting them.
Bolding your actual submissions is your friend :D if it ain't bolded, 90% chance it isn't someone's submission. Nothing in DD's post was bolded and wasn't an actual submission, just like I mentioned "tarhandtula" in my first post in here without bolding it to indicate it's not my submission.

Making a list of words to use to combine is really helpful though guys, BTW. DD's got the right idea. (And, also, just now noticing, he's also got a pachirisu being strangled in his avatar? o_O)

I know DD is trying to be helpful here, but I'd just like to say that formulas like that don't go a long way helping you think outside the box.

Looking at our beloved Koffing, his name is a mispelling of the effects his gas could have on you (Weezing advances the symptoms, making him sound even more dangerous). It's pretty creative, I think, and so simple, some people might have overlooked it for more cumbersome names like 'Methylenorb'.

Not every Pokemon name needs to be a combination of two words, but when they are, they tend to be simple and easy to remember in order to help the player make a clear connection between the name and what the Pokemon represents (PrimeApe, HounDoom etc..easy,memorable, and not too brainy).

At first, I was thinking something like that at the beginning, but maybe that could be altered a bit.

Octillity?

Utillioct?

Utillipalm?
I like Octillity and Utillitoct, but I think that it should be Octilliti and Utillitox(t).
By the way, these are just suggestions, not my submissions, I made those a while ago.

Manipalm Manifold (many or varied) or Manifest (to demonstrate or show) + palm

or since it's also a ground type
Delvand Delve ( to search, to dig) + hand

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I think which two I was submitting was sorta unclear.

Octopalm, and Manorchnid. I'd like to have kept Gifterder, but it probably wouldn't have worked out.

Guys, I think that having Palm in the name would be great, but the problem is that Ambipom and Aipom kinda already have that, even if it is adjusted.
If we have palm in it, I think we'd have to adjust it too, just to keep it Pokemonlike, but if we adjust it to "pom", it kinda interferes with the whole Aipom/Ambipom theme, so I suggest that we should avoid Palm.
Just my opinion.

After reading though some of the names, I think that we should name this thing *facepalm*. Or Facepalm without the asterixes (asteri?). It goes with the hand theme, and I think he could facepalm pretty easily.

Note that this a joke entry. First, I don't want to name it Facepalm, and secondly, I already submitted two names (Optikle and Ragnotto).

How does this work? Is Sunday going to pick some of the best names and bring them to the poll?

In any case, I'd only like to submit Jazzdyne. I like it better, and Betelgeuse would just subtract from its votes. I only listed Betelgeuse first because I didn't want to pick a favorite and it comes first alphabetically.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
How does this work? Is Sunday going to pick some of the best names and bring them to the poll?

In any case, I'd only like to submit Jazzdyne. I like it better, and Betelgeuse would just subtract from its votes. I only listed Betelgeuse first because I didn't want to pick a favorite and it comes first alphabetically.
BETELGEUSE BETELGUESE BETELGEUSE! *Ghast appears* wtf mate?

This is also one of Jupiter's moons IIRC.

Should have given it Cosmic Power...

I do like artic's Dexder, fits nicely.

I'm sticking with what I said earlier, not just because the name is stuck with the image in my mind, but becuase I honestly feel it fits well, DLL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)