CAP 4 CAP 4 - Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking Palmmire (palm -mire) sounds pokemon-ish. Pretty fitting flavorwise IMO. Looks like it's spelled weird, though. Maybe drop an M (Palmire)?

Palm, obvious.
Mire, 1 : wet spongy earth (as of a bog or marsh) 2 : heavy often deep mud or slush. In most of the sprites he's seen carrying muck with him so this isn't too far off. Could also relate more to the arachnid side of him also. (Great Marsh anyone?)
Ah yeah, this one is great. I still like the idea of Palm in its name, and Mire sounds like the perfect add on, and adds the Ground attribute to it, something mine and others were lacking. Plus Mire isn't a common word, and is just so cool.

I don't know, but this one is in my top so far by the looks of it.

bojangles

IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I have two names both based off the same thing:

Tetrodocto

Octodoxin

The first obvious part that jumps out is "octo". The root "Octo" means 8, which is the amount of hands this fella has. The next part is taken from the name of a very unique poison, called Tetrodoxin. Tetrodoxin is a neurotoxin, or toxin of the brain, that is famous for its symptom of putting the victim into a state between life and death. They are paralyzed, breath suppressed, pulse suppressed, and unless closely inspected, appear dead. I think this is pretty sweet (real-life zombies?). And it fits because of all of its support moves paralyzing the opponent and putting them into a doomed situation.

I too like Palmire. :)

I'll just submit one for now. Maybe another if something good hits me.

Harvesand- A combination of harvestman (the arachnid he is based on) and sand for the ground aspect. It is simple enough, plus it sounds like havestman when you say it. Alternatively, it could be Harvestand as in stand instead of sand.

Others I like are Terachnid and Gifterder.

Narrowing some ideas down to two was hard, but I think I got my best ones.

Optikle- Opt is "eight" in Romanian, and tikle is a misspelling of the word "tickle" (something this does rather well with eight hands) in English. Together, the make a play on the word "Optical" in English as in the illusion.

Ragnotto- First of all, it just rolls off the tongue, doesn't it? "Ragno" is Italian for "spider," while, keeping in the Italian language, "Otto" means "eight". Note: This could be changed to Ragnocho, Ragnocto, and Ragnoito to keep the same meaning.

I'm definitely going to have to go with Polypalm, it's the most "Pokemon-like".
I also think we should keep something related to the POISON typing of this (even though I can't think of one), because the names that are coming up make it seems like its a bug or normal type, which is not the impression we want to give.
I also think we should give this a more "cartoony" and "helpful" name, due to the whole utility thing.

Octaid: Octagon and Aid, nothing too complicated. Other options were Octassist and Octavail, which are synonymous. Octacid is also another variation.

Velemano: Veleno is poison in Italian and Spanish, Mano, as stated in other posts, means hand in a few languages.

Another idea could be something based around "Sludgeclutch"

I'm going to go off its most prominent feature and say Manuac. That's "manual" (its hands are by far the most prominent feature) and "maniac" (looks crazy enough to me). I don't think it looks poisonous or earthy enough for a type-related name, so...

Man-yoo-ack, in case anyone was unclear about the pronunciation. I think it sounds better than it looks.

Arachnoleno

Arachnid and Veleno. If it's too long I'd say you can take out the no in the middle and turn it into Arachleno

Versacidae

Pholcidae+versatile.Stole part of it from a name of the first page >_<

Fidgit (i think it sounds cute, and it probably has trouble finding something for all those hands to do, so it fidgets. also rhymes with 'digit')

edited: first name

I like this.

Also for those saying simple name fusions are bad, the site that was linked to on page 2 shows how all Pokemon names are just word fusions (albeit some are very obscure words). This project has also proven that people like names that are fusions of two words:

Syclant = Icicle / Sickle + Ant
Revenankh = Reverence (or something similar) + Ankh
Pyroak = Pyre + Oak

So quote all the root languages you want, simple names win.

But all of those are at least somewhat witty and obscure. like Syclant without knowing the root words, you would never know what it would be made of. Revenankh is pretty simple to see, but it fits well, and flows very well and has atleast a simple amount of complexity. Pyroak is also rather easily to see, yet it too has a good flow.

But all of those are at least somewhat witty and obscure. like Syclant without knowing the root words, you would never know what it would be made of. Revenankh is pretty simple to see, but it fits well, and flows very well and has atleast a simple amount of complexity. Pyroak is also rather easily to see, yet it too has a good flow.
They also have very few syllables. Compare your submissions to the names we have already made. Yours are much more complex. As are most of the ones submitted. Those don't win.

Terrakumo (tear-uh-koom-oh) (terra + kumo)
A combination of the words Terra, Latin for Earth, and kumo, Japanese for spider.

Toxicumo/Toxikumo (tocks-i-koom-oh) (toxic + kumo)
This name is composed of the words toxic, a lethal chemical or substance, and kumo, again, Japanese for spider.
I thought kumo meant cloud...? With a double meaning like that, I'm not so sure how it would fit... (also, note that it's half-japanese as its "english" name. If you were to find a japanese name for it with Kumo in it, then see if it fits well in english like Raichu or Pachirisu.)

I too like Palmire. :)

I'll just submit one for now. Maybe another if something good hits me.

Harvesand- A combination of harvestman (the arachnid he is based on) and sand for the ground aspect. It is simple enough, plus it sounds like havestman when you say it. Alternatively, it could be Harvestand as in stand instead of sand.
I like Harvesand. In addition to the meaning you meant to give it, hiddenly the -and could also reffer to "hand". That is so neat ^_^

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'm not going to give 2 right off the bat in case I come up with something later, but this hit me:

Manoxic - Manus and toxic. Maybe a bit too much like Manectric?

Dextrupalm (dextrous+trucizna+palm) Dextrous means good with your hands, trucizna is Polish for poison, and your palm is the center of your hand.

I probably won't come up with another name. I also like Terachnid.

I thought kumo meant cloud...? With a double meaning like that, I'm not so sure how it would fit... (also, note that it's half-japanese as its "english" name. If you were to find a japanese name for it with Kumo in it, then see if it fits well in english like Raichu or Pachirisu.)
Well, I found a couple pretty reliable souces online claiming that kumo ment spider, so I just trusted they were right and went with it. :T

After screwing around a bit in Google translator, I came up with the following name:

Sableslam
"Sand Sludge"

Sable is French for sand, whereas slam is Swedish for sludge. Slam also accounts for the critter's many hands, as in slamming opponents into the ground. The only thing that might turn people off to this name is the similarity to Sableye.

Syclant
Revenankh
Pyroak
Sableslam

I think it fits in with the other CAP names, but obviously I'm a bit biased. ^_^

Sorry but I'd like to change one of my ideas. I just thought of a better name for this pokemon. Here they are:

I'd like to name this pokemon Mr. Hands. I think this name is a very good pokemonish name unlike some of the other complicated names. This name follows the foot steps of Mr. Mime aswell. It's simple, unique and fits the look and concept of this pokemon.

My other choice of name for this pokemon is Palmility. (pom - ility) This once again fits the concept very well because it has so many hands and the palm of each hand stands out to me. I fused the word "utility" because this pokemon is made to be a utility pokemon. So that is also another simple yet unique name.

Well, I found a couple pretty reliable souces online claiming that kumo ment spider, so I just trusted they were right and went with it. :T
Well, my "references" are what I've gleaned from watching fansubs so... technically, since neither of us actually know japanese, either could be correct XD

@ Palmility: That does have a cool ring to it. However, that is the ring of a familiar word; Humility. Whether that is intentional or not, a good or bad thing, is not mine to decide. (Alas, the trouble of coming up with something only to realize it sounds like something else/like it could be from something else unintentionally...)

@ Palmility: That does have a cool ring to it. However, that is the ring of a familiar word; Humility.
To me, it doesn't sound anything like humility. Humility begins with the sound "hue", but Palmility begins with the sound "pa". There's a big difference. If that's the case, then Polypalm sounds like Porygon and sounds like polygon, no?

Sandslap- Sand and Slap. Nothing big there. Though, I wonder if it would be better without a D, since it might look a little too obvious.

Rach(i)nalm- "Rachn" from arachnid, and alm from "palm." The "I" is a filling syllable.

SoT

I leave and they change my avatar to this?
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I liked Fidgit.

I don't know why, it just sounded like a cool name, and I could see it fitting this pokemon.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I like this.

Also for those saying simple name fusions are bad, the site that was linked to on page 2 shows how all Pokemon names are just word fusions (albeit some are very obscure words). This project has also proven that people like names that are fusions of two words:

Syclant = Icicle / Sickle + Ant
Revenankh = Reverence (or something similar) + Ankh
Pyroak = Pyre + Oak

So quote all the root languages you want, simple names win.
Revenankh had a few ways to go about it, but essentially it boils down to Revenant (a revived corpse) and Ankh. Revenge + Ankh also works. Hadn't thought of reverence before.

Revenankh had a few ways to go about it, but essentially it boils down to Revenant (a revived corpse) and Ankh. Revenge + Ankh also works. Hadn't thought of reverence before.
Firefox didn't recognize Revenant so I got confused and looked for similar starting words. Wait... DK has made 2 out of 3 of the CAP names... why didn't I recognize this before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)