1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

CAP 15 CAP 4 - Part 1 - Concept Poll 1

Discussion in 'CAP Process Archive' started by Elevator Music, Sep 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elevator Music

Elevator Music
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

OK, here's the deal: we start our project by picking one of the concepts that is submitted to use, and we use that concept as a way of giving us direction throughout the project. Basically, this decision gives us our base to work off of, and shapes the rest of the project. So I mean, no pressure, but pick a good one. Preferably the best one. Even more preferably, the one that I like the most.

But really, no pressure. Our TL has handpicked the concepts that he feels are solid and will produce not only a good final product, but that will also provide something we can learn from. Even if there was a "best" concept and we failed to pick it, we'd still end up with something good.

This poll operates on instant-runoff voting. This means that order matters in your votes, but you may vote for any number of choices that you like. A typical vote might look like this:

Note that any posts that do not contain a vote will be moderated and the poster warned. If you feel compelled to say something in your own vote, you may do so, but please don't try to incite a discussion here. Keep discussion to the IRC channel, #cap, or to the voices in your head.

IMPORTANT: When voting, use only the name of the author! The list of possible votes include:
    Birkal
    capefeather
    DarkSlay
    FlareBlitz
    Pwnemon
    Rediamond
    Scoopapa
    This poll will be open for 24 hours. The concept submissions are quoted below in order of submission.

So.... yeah. Go vote.
    [​IMG]
  2. bugmaniacbob

bugmaniacbob Floats like a Butterfree, stings like a Metapod
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

So, I'll start off with my vote then.

capefeather
    DarkSlay
    Pwnemon
    Rediamond
    FlareBlitz
    Birkal
    Scoopapa

All of these concepts fit all of my selection criteria, in that they are all challenging, they all have a definite end goal, and the focus is on the build. Having said that, I really love the sheer number of possibilities that Risky Business gives us to choose from, as well as the fact that it draws on the psychological aspect of such a Pokemon to an extent. I haven't made any secret of the fact that I love both Utility Counter and Deceiver for the challenge and difficulty behind them as well as the many options for carrying them out, but Utility Counter gets the nod purely because I'd really like to see if we have learned the lessons of Krilowatt, one of my favourite CAPs. Time Capsule comes next, if only because I really like the question it's asking, and I'd like to see what we could come up with. For the last three, Higher Ground is next because I'm more interested in the reduction or decentralisation aspect of the concept than the focus of the other two on actually making lesser-used strategies rise up in usage, which I am more interested in and think we could delve further into. The last two I am iffy about on a personal level, but on a purely objective level they are still excellent concepts; Perfect Nemesis comes before Weather Equaliser purely because it is a bit more focused and thus in my view easier to coordinate.

Good luck to all, and may the best concept win!

----

Fine here's an ogre spider (open)
    [​IMG]

~SO CUTE~

EDIT: OK who the hell changed my spider into a female human, own up
  3. GRs Cousin

GRs Cousin

Birkal
    FlareBlitz
    Rediamond

That is one kawaii-ass spider.
  4. FlareBlitz
    Scoopapa
    Rediamond
    DarkSlay
    Birkal
    Pwnemon
    capefeather
  5. Solstice

Solstice

Birkal
    FlareBlitz
    Scoopapa
    DarkSlay
    Rediamond
  6. fryfrey

fryfrey

Rediamond
    FlareBlitz
    capefeather
    Pwnemon
    Scoopapa
    DarkSlay
    Birkal

Not a fan of Birkal's due to how the metagame changes so much from game to game.
  7. Afti

Afti

Birkal
    capefeather
    Rediamond
    FlareBlitz
    DarkSlay
    Pwnemon
    Scoopapa
  8. IstheCakeReallyaLie

IstheCakeReallyaLie

Birkal
    FlareBlitz
    Pwnemon
    Scoopapa
    DarkSlay
    Rediamond
    capefeather

@bugmaniacbob: I actually think that little guy is cute, but then again, I like Joltik and Galvantula.
  9. ganj4lF

ganj4lF Nobody is safe from the power of science!
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

capefeather
    DarkSlay
    Pwnemon
    FlareBlitz
    Scoopapa
    Birkal
    Rediamond
  10. capefeather

capefeather YOU CAN'T STOP THE FORDS
    is a Forum Moderatoris a CAP Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

capefeather
    Pwnemon
    Birkal
    DarkSlay
    FlareBlitz
    Rediamond
    Scoopapa

I really liked Deceiver the first time and I really like it now.

As for Perfect Nemesis, it really needs more love. I feel that what people keep missing when they criticize it is that this concept is very, very much about the process rather than the result. We "know" what a counter is on a superficial level, but do we really know how to make a counter successful? I don't particularly find that Gastrodon has been as successful as its fans may say. It's OU, but it's not used all that much and it's honestly not surprising. Perfect Nemesis isn't about how to make something countered by a Pokémon. It's about how to make a Pokémon more successful by giving it a niche of countering another Pokémon.

Utility Counter and Higher Ground are both very similar to CAP 10 and CAP 9 from the previous generation. I didn't really participate in those projects all that much. It would be interesting to see how the community has evolved from that time, as well as to be more exposed personally to the thought processes that created Krillowatt and Colossoil.

I'm not saying that Time Capsule and Weather Equalizer are bad. I just think that the others are better :(
  11. Rediamond

Rediamond

Rediamond
    capefeather
    Birkal
  12. Professor Shroomish

Professor Shroomish

Birkal
    Rediamond
    Pwnemon
  13. Eagle4

Eagle4

capefeather
    pwnemon
  14. srk1214

srk1214 You spin my head right round
    is a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
    Mentor

Rediamond
    FlareBlitz
    DarkSlay
    capefeather
    Birkal
    Pwnemon
    Scoopapa
  15. ShinyDreamer

ShinyDreamer

capefeather
    Pwnemon
  16. JessePinkman

JessePinkman

Scoopapa
    Birkal
    capefeather
    FlareBlitz
    Pwnemon
    DarkSlay
    Rediamond
  17. ThePhalanx

ThePhalanx

Rediamond
    Scoopapa
    Pwnemon
    FlareBlitz
    Birkal
    capefeather
    Darkslay
  18. meddle

meddle
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Birkal
    Pwnemon
    capefeather
    Rediamond

A couple of the concepts seem very intent on creating some kind of catch-all counter to the current dominant styles of play which to me is inherently uninteresting. I believe this would just create an anti-Meta Pokemon that would be used everywhere until the next anti-anti-Meta Pokemon comes around. I'm not sure that there is much to learn from a concept that basically teaches us that strategies shift with new metagames and new Pokemon.

I wish Birkal's submission was worded better because it's one of the best ones up there but I think a lot of people are missing his point.
  19. shartruce2

shartruce2 THINK POSITIVE
    is a Tiering Contributor

Darkslay
    FlareBlitz
    Pwnemon
  20. Electrolyte

Electrolyte On a short LoA
    is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator
    Mentor

Capefeather
    FlareBlitz
    DarkSlay
    Birkal
    Scoopapa
    Pwnemon
    Rediamond

The reason why I think capefeather's idea would contribute the best is because I think massive risk/reward plays at the right time are what distinguishes experienced players from unexperienced ones. Knowing when to set up/come in/other move even if it's risky is definitely something players of BW2 should figure out how to do. 'Playing safe' is no longer the best way to play- because eventually, everyone will make a mistake, and it could cost them the match. A lot of players ditch certain pokemon because of the 'risks' they have- often ignoring the massive amounts of positive traits that certain pokemon could bring up. This will also throw a big middle finger to people who complain about 'focusmiss', haha
  21. Spork

Spork

capefeather
    Birkal
    Scoopapa
  22. vroomvroom918

vroomvroom918

Rediamond
    Pwnemon
    capefeather
    Scoopapa

I really don't like the other concepts much, especially the Perfect Nemesis, which seemed to get a lot of support in the concept submission thread. In my opinion, the creation of such a Pokemon which is countered effectively by only one other will be detrimental to the metagame. I predict that this will cause many teams to carry both the Nemesis and its counter on their team (and maybe a counter to the counter as well), resulting in centralization of a similar playstyle and a race to see who can kill the counter first. This is why I like Rediamond's concept the most, as it brings back old playstyles and variety, causing people to have to think on their toes instead of having very obvious choices. I like to try to be original when it comes to battle strategies, and while most of them don't work because they aren't tried and true, I would like to see one come out of this that could be effective in the OU circle
  23. Dare234

Dare234

capefeather
    FlareBlitz
    Pwnemon
    Birkal
  24. Phazon00

Phazon00

capefeather Nothing else could be #1 for me. This is an amazing idea, capefeather. Feel proud of your accomplishment
    FlareBlitz Field Effects are a cool concept. I'm so psyched for what Smogon could come up with...
    Pwnemon This seems like a Zoroark+. This could create some very interesting changes to the CAP Metagame.
  25. fairytale

fairytale

Rediamond
    Flareblitz
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)