CAP 15 CAP 4 - Part 12 - Complete Movepool Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
All right, I am finally committing. I am including Dragon Dance, but not including Quiver Dance. Good luck to all submissions!

Final Submission

Key:
bold + ' = VGM
" = repeated or outclassed VGM
* = repeated flavor move
Move count = (total number of ' / total non-repeated moves)
Moves are repeated if they appear in another category above the current one (i.e. Level Up is listed first and can't have repeated moves)

1. Incinerate
1. Echoed Voice
1. Safeguard
1. Wish'
10. Flash
19. Protect'
28. Psybeam
37. Hex
46. Whirlwind'
55. Future Sight
64. Cotton Guard'
73. Close Combat'
82. Stored Power'
91. Overheat'

Psyshock'
Calm Mind'
Toxic'
Hidden Power'
Hyper Beam
Protect"
Rain Dance'
Telekinesis
Safeguard*
Frustration'
Rock Slide'
Smack Down
Thunderbolt'
Earthquake'
Return"
Psychic'
Shadow Ball'
Double Team
Sandstorm
Rock Tomb
Echoed Voice*
Facade'
Flame Charge'
Rest'
Attract
Round
Overheat"
Focus Blast'
Fling
Incinerate*
Will-O-Wisp'
Retaliate
Giga Impact
Rock Polish"
Stone Edge'
Swords Dance'
Struggle Bug
Psych Up
Sky Drop
Blizzard'
Swagger
Substitute'
Rock Smash
Cut
Fly

Bug Buzz'
Megahorn'
Stun Spore'
Sucker Punch'
Hydro Pump'
Magnitude
Nasty Plot'
Dragon Dance'
Fury Attack
Sand Tomb
Pin Missile

Aqua Tail'
Bug Bite
Earth Power'
Fire Pledge
Helping Hand
Icy Wind
Iron Defense
Last Resort
Skill Swap
Sleep Talk'
Tailwind
Uproar
Zen Headbutt'

Total moves: (38/75)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

VGM lists:

Megahorn
Zen Headbutt
Close Combat
Return / Frustration
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Aqua Tail
Sucker Punch
Rock Slide
Flame Charge

Overheat
Bug Buzz
Psychic
Psyshock
Focus Blast
Hydro Pump
Blizzard
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
Hidden Power
Stored Power

Setup:
Swords Dance
Dragon Dance
Nasty Plot
Calm Mind
Agility
Cotton Guard
Flame Charge
Substitute

Support:
Wish
Protect
Whirlwind
Will-o-Wisp
Stun Spore
Toxic
Rest
Sleep Talk
Rain Dance

Reasoning:

Setup Moves: In general, I tried to make as strong a movepool as possible without using moves that especially rare and powerful. As such, in the setup department, I didn't think it was necessary to include Tail Glow or Quiver Dance. I really think that Nasty Plot, Swords Dance, Calm Mind, Dragon Dance, and Agility will be quite sufficient to sweep effectively. It's not so much about keeping Aurumoth from being overpowered as it is keeping it from being overpowered on account of a rare and incredible setup move. The former situation isn't much of a problem in terms of the educational value of a CAP, but the latter one certainly is.

Attacking moves: I tried to vary coverage as much as possible, which meant not choosing too many coverage moves of the same type. Focus Blast and Hydro Pump are chosen over their weaker, more accurate, counterparts, as they are both usable without No Guard and yet very nice with No Guard. Thunderbolt is chosen because I didn't want to use every 70% acc. 120 BP move, and I figured since I may as well skip the one that becomes 100% acc. in Rain. There's no need, as far as I'm concerned, to let Drizzle teams alone get the best of both worlds in the case of ability and coverage moves. I didn't think Ice was particularly important for coverage, so Blizzard is there as a perk for No Guard sets. Rock Slide is there in addition to Stone Edge as a token of penance for the move-move requirement problems incurred elsewhere. Psycho Boost was left off to avoid event shenanigans and because for the sake of the concept I prefer wall-breaking with coverage or setup moves to wall-breaking with high-powered STAB spam.

The movepool is quite ample on the physical side, with a core of Megahorn, Zen Headbutt, and Close Combat, and fleshed out with extra options in EdgeQuake, Aqua Tail, and Sucker Punch. Extremespeed was left off, the final example of a rare and extreme move that wasn't really necessary. Sucker Punch will accomplish most of the same things and even provide some coverage, but has some risk inherent in its use.

Support Moves: Wish, Protect, Whirlwind, and three different statuses all help justify the use of Aurumoth as a tank or pivot rather than just a wallbreaker or sweeper. None of these are so rare or powerful that you would choose Aurumoth just because it learns them, but they are some of the best options that were available and should allow Aurumoth to play some mixed defensive/offensive roles in addition to it's purely offensive ones. Trick and Final Gambit were omitted because they are the opposite of high risk and high reward. The risk is tempered by the fact that a vast majority of pokemon will be crippled or killed by them, while the reward is tempered by the fact that you either lose your item or die even if you hit exactly the target you wanted. Sure, both can backfire pretty badly, but in general there is too much hedging of bets involved for applicability to the concept, and neither is particularly necessary for any practical reason.

Flavor:

There are a few elements that work together to create the movepool flavor-wise. The biggest of these is the "seraph" part, which itself consists of "angelic" moves (Protective moves, Singing moves, Flash and Future Sight) and a strong association to Fire. The second element of the flavor is earth oriented. This is partly due to my interpretation of the art (coloration particularly) and a precedent set by other mystical, "ancient automata" pokemon such as Claydol and Golurk. The idea of angels being constructs also appears in the recent Zelda game as well as some other things I unfortunately can't remember atm; at any rate, Aurumoth had good use for Ground moves and I felt giving it some Earth moves would be a nice complement to the seraph stuff. Earth Power, Sand/Rock Tomb, and Rock Polish all fit this theme. The final element isn't really anything clever, it's basically just Buggy and Psychic stuff to fulfill STAB moves. These are mostly found in the Egg moves and TM moves, where Aurumoth begins to move away from it's angelic origins to find its place among Bug and Psychic pokemon (or something like that).

The levelup movepool is the most flavorful and is where the "seraph" theme is most presented. The earlier moves are protective and relatively innocent, but towards the higher levels Aurumoth has become more worldly and learns to channel its badass holy energy into its offense and learns Close Combat, Stored Power, and Overheat. Whirlwind is there as a reference to one of Yahweh's favorite methods of talking to humans, and a little tie-in to the associated mythology of seraphim (which I am admittedly not an expert in). Hex honestly works as you might expect an angel who hasn't quite reached the badass stage to cast a curse on something; the pun is impossible to avoid, however.

FINAL SUBMISSION

Current Number of Moves: 74/75
Current Number of VGMs: 38/38
(Repeats/Outclasses are not counted)

VGMs in Bold, Repeats with an asterisk*

Level Up - 16 Moves, 8 VGMs
Lv1 Gust
Lv1 Leech Life
Lv1 Confusion
Lv1 Harden* Repeat in Egg Moves
Lv6 Telekinesis* Repeat in TMs
Lv11 Flash
Lv16 Psybeam
Lv20 Bug Bite
Lv25 Protect* Repeat in TMs
Lv31 Psycho Cut
Lv37 Swords Dance* Repeat in TMs
Lv42 Wish
Lv48 Cosmic Power
Lv53 Bug Buzz
Lv59 Psychic* Repeat in TMs
Lv65 Tail Glow

I tried to make the movepool resemble an in-game movepool as closely as possible, mostly for flavor reasons. This is why the movepool contains only STAB moves and support moves. If you're wondering why Harden and Protect, it's because Aurumoth's 'wings' double as a protective shell, according to the artist KoA.

TMs and HMs - 46 Moves, 25 VGMs
TM03 Psyshock
TM04 Calm Mind
TM06 Toxic
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM13 Ice Beam
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM16 Light Screen
TM17 Protect* Repeat in Level Up
TM18 Rain Dance
TM19 Telekinesis* Repeat in Level Up
TM20 Safeguard
TM21 Frustration* Repeat in Return
TM22 Solarbeam
TM24 Thunderbolt
TM25 Thunder
TM27 Return* Repeat in Frustration
TM29 Psychic
TM30 Shadow Ball
TM32 Double Team
TM33 Reflect
TM39 Rock Tomb
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM48 Round
TM49 Echoed Voice
TM50 Overheat
TM51 Ally Switch
TM52 Focus Blast
TM61 Will-O-Wisp
TM63 Embargo
TM67 Retaliate
TM68 Giga Impact
TM70 Flash* Repeat in Level Up
TM71 Stone Edge
TM73 Thunder Wave
TM75 Swords Dance* Repeat in Level Up
TM76 Struggle Bug
TM77 Psych Up
TM81 X-Scissor
TM87 Swagger
TM90 Substitute
HM01 Cut
HM02 Fly
HM04 Strength

TMs are basically self-explanatory. I wanted Aurumoth to have good coverage options, albeit not too many, for both the physical and special spectrums, as well as a wide variety of support moves for more defensive builds.

Egg Moves (Bug/Monster) - 9 Moves, 4 VGMs
Harden* - Butterfree, Beedrill, Heracross, Pinsir, Beautifly, Dustox, Ninjask, Shedinja, Volcarona. Repeat in Level Up
Dragon Dance - Charizard, Feraligatr, Tyranitar, Haxorus
Ancientpower - Charizard, Meganium, Feraligatr, Tyranitar, Yanmega
Silver Wind - Butterfree, Venomoth, Ledian, Scizor, Ninjask, Shedinja, Volbeat, Beautifly, Dustox, Masquerain, Mothim, Yanmega, Leavanny, Volcarona
Ominous Wind - Masquerain
Whirlwind - Butterfree, Snorlax, Beautifly, Dustox, Masquerain, Rampardos, Drapion, Yanmega, Volcarona
Tail Glow* - Volbeat. Repeat in Level Up
Final Gambit - Accelgor, Shuckle, Ninjask, Shedinja
Megahorn - Nidoking, Heracross, Rhyperior, Scolipede, Escavalier

Dragon Dance + Megahorn is ILLEGAL.
Why? Mainly, ability triality. I wanted all of Aurumoth's abilities to be viable on any set, and I felt that if DD + Megahorn was allowed, No Guard sets would outclass Weak Armor sets on the physical spectrum as there is less of a need for the Weak Armor speed boost.

I included the three Ancientpowers mainly for flavour reasons. Egg moves aren't too notable, wth only Dragon Dance and Whirwind standing out (Tail Glow is a level-up move). Final Gambit + Illusion could also be a gimmick, though!

Tutor Moves - 10 Moves, 6 VGMs
Earth Power
Iron Defense
Magic Coat
Magic Room
Signal Beam
Skill Swap
Superpower
Tailwind
Trick
Wonder Room
Zen Headbutt

Again, most of the Tutor Moves are flavor-based, such as the two 'Rooms' which don't see much competitive use at all. I wanted to include Trick Room as a TM, but that's a disallowed VGM, so apologies for that. We DO have a couple of notable moves here, though, such as Earth Power, Superpower, and Trick.

Now, for the explanations.

Why certain moves and not others?
As far as coverage moves go, I wanted to give Aurumoth the option of running certain moves dependant on its ability, as well as not overpowering or underpowering any single ability. Aurumoth has Ice Beam and not Blizzard, so that No Guard isn't the default option for dealing with Dragons. On the opposite side, I also gave Aurumoth Focus Blast instead of Aura Sphere, so that there is a reason to use No Guard in the first place. If me move on to physical moves, No Guard Aurumoth can run Stone Edge and Megahorn as well as Swords Dance to be a potent wallbreaker, or it can run Dragon Dance to attempt a sweep. Weak Armor Aurumoth, on the other hand, can also attempt a sweep using WA to provide the speed necessary and running Megahorn as a primary STAB. For physical fighting moves, I debated giving it Cross Chop but in the end I decided Aurumoth's only physical fighting-type coverage would be Superpower.

Now, for setup moves. I wanted offensive Aurumoth to be able to both sweep and wallbreak if necessary, so I gave it Swords Dance and Tail Glow to be able to do this after a single boost. Dragon Dance I was originally iffy about, but I decided to let it pass, with the condition that DD + Megahorn be illegal so Weak Armor would still be used for the speed boost. I also gave it Calm Mind and Cosmic Power, should Aurumoth want to try a more defensive setup route. However, I decided against giving it Quiver Dance, as well as Agility or equivalents. First of all, I wanted Aurumoth's low Special Defense to be a weakness for offensive variants, and I felt Quiver Dance's Speed Boost + Offense Boost + Special Defense Boost to be too much for this CAP, despite going amazingly flavorwise. As for Agility, I felt Agility Aurumoth would have too little risk, as it could bypass its low speed without needing the Weak Armor drop, and its 110/99 Defense as well as its typing would make it resistant to most common priority moves, allowing it to continue its sweep.

Finally, support options. I gave Aurumoth enough options to allow it to fulfill a defensive or supportive role if it need be. It has good physical bulk and acceptable special bulk (thanks to its base 110 HP), and I felt a supportive set was definitely possible. I gave Aurumoth all the common status moves (besides sleep), Dual Screens, Wish + Protect, Whirlwind, Cosmic Power... you name it. It can even hit back decently hard with its good offensive stats, even when uninvested. I would have loved to give Aurumoth Roost or Morning Sun, but unfortunately that was not possible.

Nyktos

Custom Loser Title
EDIT3: @ Nyktos: You have 37 VGMs, rather than 38.
Oh, snap, so I do. I had counted Psychic twice, likely because I removed it from and then later re-added it to the level-up list. Given the extra slot, added Shadow Ball.

I also changed its egg group and added the extremely competitively-relevant Teleport as an egg move. And...submission is now final.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Alright, added descriptions and had a change to include Psycho Boost as a DW move, which means, yes, with just one ability. If this REALLY bothers you, bmb, feel free to treat it as an egg event move with random ability like everyone else's. It just feels unflavorful to me to do an event when events have largely been for legendaries for a long, long time. Beyond that, egg events are rare.

And I don't think the competitive difference of having Psycho Boost available on all 3 abilities is actually that great, as I don't think all 3 would use it. Psycho Boost feels very much like a hit and run move to me, which fits best on Illusion, so I have designated Illusion as the DW ability in my movepool submission in order to make this DW move things happen. If this is not within my rights, just treat it as an egg event move like everyone else's.

Oh and this brings be to 38 VGMs so I'm still good.

Ach, I am just too busy with work, I don't have time to finish my submission :pirate: but I will be rooting for any submissions that, for a start, have Dragon Dance and Tail Glow but no Quiver Dance. Glad you made up your mind capefeather!

I hadn't noticed until now, but apparently I was one VGM over the limit. As much as it pains me, I decided to remove Trick from the Move Tutor moves.

Just a couple of small errors I noticed on the spreadsheet: first, I no longer have Light Screen, and instead I have Will-O-Wisp. Also, Calm Mind is present as a TM move, but I just didn't classify it as a VGM because it's outclassed by Quiver Dance, as covered by the rules.

Everything's in order otherwise.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
That's that then

Slate:

Code:
capefeather
DarkBlazeR
Deck Knight
jas61292
Korski
Nyktos
nyttyn
poll up shortly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)