CAP 4 CAP 4 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doug, your sprite needs a highlight on the right (my right) hand. There should be a lot of it too.

White shiney looks better, much better. Plus it's so much more unique than the typical loldark.

I've been experimenting with a new shiny coloring scheme for my sprite. It might not be what you expect, but I think it looks pretty cool.

I have not decided on my shiny coloring yet. Up to now, I've had a black shiny. I like black a whole lot. But, I wanted to try out some other colors, and I stumbled upon white. I actually experimented with a variety of color combos with white - click here to see them. I think the one shown above is really crisp and cool. Maybe it's just the "newness" of it...

I'm open to feedback on this new shiny color scheme. If you think it is a bad idea, I'll stick with black. Here is my black shiny.
Wow. I'm conflicted here. I really like both versions a lot.

Shame we can't do East/West coloring (like Gastrodon) and have both. You could have the type colors be each normal sprite, and black/white for the shinies.

i did a new one:
Awesome pose. This poll just keeps getting harder and harder. I love how you did the fists, and how he's standing gorilla-style. This one's just as good as Doug's and Wyverii's as far as I'm concerned.

Woah, Doug! I didn't see those alternate white shinies. I love the green one! If you submitted that one, I would probably just abstain because choosing between something as DP-looking as Wyverii's and as awesome as yours would just be too hard of a choice. xP

Dougjustdoug's sprite looks much better now. Before I didnt like it at all. Still, there are a lot of good contenders.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Well, now I really don't know what to do. There has been support for various shiny colors, but no real consensus. Even amongst those who like the white over the black, there's no clear preference for which white sprite is better. I like all the shinies, so I'm not leaning heavily toward any specific one. I've set up a poll for those of you that are interested in helping me choose a shiny color to use. See the bottom of this post for a link to the voting.

For reference, here is the normal front sprite:

Here are the shiny sprites that I have seriously considered using:

This was my original shiny color scheme. I call it the "Black Widow". It evokes a spider-like feel, and black always looks cool on a sprite.

The first white shiny is called "Poison/Ground", since the colors support the pokemon's typing. I chose this one over the other white shinies because of the typing, and to make it color-consistent with the normal sprite. Since white is very different, I didn't want to be too controversial with the other colors.

The "Red" sprite started out as a white version of the Black Widow. Based on feedback, I tried out using a black face and black spikes.

The "Tropical" coloring is an interesting color combo. I was experimenting with green combos, and the orange face color seemed to work very well with it. Several of you have commented on it, so I've taken a second look at it.

This "Extreme" scheme is the weirdest of all the white combos I tried. If any of you like things because they are different (I tend to), then this might appeal to you. I don't think something this wild has any real chance of making it, but it's fun to look at.

I have set up a little offsite mini-poll to allow people to choose which shiny they think I should use. I've never setup a public poll before, but I thought it might be a good way to get feedback, without requiring people to post explicitly here.
Click here to vote in the poll.

You could always use 4 different color schemes for Male / Female / Shiny Male / Shiny Female! For the record, I voted 'One of the "white" shinies', and '"Tropical" - Orange Face & Green Accents', though the 'extreme' scheme is really very pretty totally awesome in every way!

edit: Different colors for gender isn't unheard off. Female Hippowdon are black, while males are beige.
edit2: I beat Jonathan to the color suggestion!
edit3: I just noticed this comment, "Plus it's so much more unique than the typical loldark." I do agree, but I do hope he/she isn't talking me!

DJD, what you could do for the coloring issue is make the male and female versions have different sprite colours. Cheap, but you could theoretically use four different colour schemes.

Your sprite is definitely my favorite so far, but there is one thing that I think could be improved. It comes across looking really timid and shy to me, which is very different from the body langauge expressed through the hands. Maybe you could try an evil grin, somewhat like Gengar's perhaps but smaller. From your pose I could very well imagine DLL as a spider slowly creeping up onto to its prey with a very predatory and evil expression on its face while they remain paralyzed in fear. That would definitely compliment the body langauge of the design, which appears to me to be in mid stride. Something to consider if you're not busy and have some time. You'd probably have to adjust the eyes to make them more appropriate to match the new facial expression.

Doug just a thought I think magenta and lime green would be a nice mix.

Lime green is the color of acid and magenta is just a cool color :D

DJD, maybe with such mixed opinions on this, you should submit the white as a male shiny and 'black widow' as a female. (I would say white for the female since it appeals more, but c'mon, the male black widow aren't known for cornering and eating their mates!) Don't know if everyone would allow it, but it is a thought...

Doug, maybe I'm alone on this, but I prefered the more cutesy/friendlier face. The lack of mouth seems kinda creepy and not pokemony. And I prefer the "poinson/ground" shiny sprite, though tropical also appeals to me.

DJD: I think I'm in the minority here, but I don't really like the white-based sprite; mainly because there are no existing shinies that are mainly white-based in-game currently. It doesn't seem naturally "Pokemonlike" to me. I generally prefer black sprites to be few and far between, but I prefer it over the white sprite by comparison.

DJD: I think I'm in the minority here, but I don't really like the white-based sprite; mainly because there are no existing shinies that are mainly white-based in-game currently. It doesn't seem naturally "Pokemonlike" to me. I generally prefer black sprites to be few and far between, but I prefer it over the white sprite by comparison.
There are plenty of pokemon with white in their sprites (shine and no shine).

Is the problem that he has more white than other sprites? I'd say Abomasnow would like to have a word with you.

PS. Doug, I think your shading may be too gradual for the pokemon style. I'll be happy to retract this statement if you could show me an example that would prove me wrong. I'm not saying this to annoy you, but I am saying it to make your entry the best it could be. This also goes out to you other spriters... LOOK AT HOW THEY DO THEIR SHADING!

There are plenty of pokemon with white in their sprites (shine and no shine).

Is the problem that he has more white than other sprites? I'd say Abomasnow would like to have a word with you.
Please read my wording my carefully before accusing me of things. I specifically stated "existing shinies" as well as "mainly white-based" for a reason.
( no existing shinies that are mainly white-based in-game currently )

If you can show me a sprite I have missed that is a shiney and is dominated by white in colouring, then you will have a point.

EDIT: Alright, I'll give you Abomasnow. Personally, it doesn't count for me because it's made of snow, while DLL is not made of snow at all.

EDIT: Alright, I'll give you Abomasnow. Personally, it doesn't count for me because it's made of snow, while DLL is not made of snow at all.
Zangoose.

You wanted a sprite that was mostly white and I gave you one. Typing or being made of snow is a non-issue since the important thing here is establishing that white is not unheard of. Plus, shinies have never been required to show proper typing -- Shiney Quagsire looks 200% more likely to throw a sludge bomb at you than surf.

Lol well I've been lurking this forum and I think this is pretty cool. Anyway, Eevee looks sort of whitish/grayish when shiny now that I think about it. Although it's a little more gray than white, but, meh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)