CAP 5 CAP 5 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the first draft of my idea.

It turned out really poorly when I scanned it, so I had to draw over it in paint.

I used Power Gem as the foundation of my idea. It had to be crystalline. Some people suggested Technician for an ability in order to take advantage of Ancientpower. This got me thinking about Ominous Wind and Silver Wind. I wanted to make wind a meaningful part or the form. It also needed to be fast and fragile. The result is a pipe organ made of crystal. The eyes are supposed to be nebulous and hard to see on the featureless face.

I imagine the coloration as diamond embedded in coal, but such a color scheme is pretty bland. Any suggestions?

Here is the first draft of my idea.

It turned out really poorly when I scanned it, so I had to draw over it in paint.

I used Power Gem as the foundation of my idea. It had to be crystalline. Some people suggested Technician for an ability in order to take advantage of Ancientpower. This got me thinking about Ominous Wind and Silver Wind. I wanted to make wind a meaningful part or the form. It also needed to be fast and fragile. The result is a pipe organ made of crystal. The eyes are supposed to be nebulous and hard to see on the featureless face.

I imagine the coloration as diamond embedded in coal, but such a color scheme is pretty bland. Any suggestions?

I like the idé but not that it looks so much like Syclant. Make it less robotish and less bugish.

The inspiration for this was a Meteor+Pac-Man. Quality is piss poor, 5 minutes or so in paint. I just want a meteor pokemon and I didn't see one submitted.

The rules say not to steal art, but stealing (And redoing) this would be fine by me.

The inspiration for this was a Meteor+Pac-Man. Quality is piss poor, 5 minutes or so in paint. I just want a meteor pokemon and I didn't see one submitted.

Quoted for lulz.

Maybe something like this is plausible, but not this... goofy-looking. Pretty good for a five-minute Microsoft Paint project.

I'm pretty stuck on a colour scheme but I did some basic shading. Only one person mentioned that they didn't like the arms but i've got little else to go on. The fourth leg is supposed to be there but any natural position I can think of gets it covered up.

Well, lets see what I can do. I first started this project half way through Pyroak so I'm going to shoot for at least entering some Art design. Here's the first one that came up.

Unfortunatly I don't have any fancy equipment and all that, so I'm stuck to pencil and paper.

So the base of this pokemon is a frog. Pretty common animal, but not one that you'd classify as a rock pokemon. Before you ask why I chose a frog, ask "Why not?"

The nose thing is a cannon. This allows us to give it as many or as little of the cannon moves, severely widening its movepool possibility.

To break-the-mold we're trying to stray away from the bulky defensive rock sterio-typing. Does this thing look at all bulky? To me, a frog is extremly frail and "squishy". Its also fast, needing to jump far and quickly. Plus, this thing can not possibly severly harm you in a physical way. It doesn't have claws, teeth, or anything else.
any comments.

I like the gargoyle, but it looks like a digimon and would be alot better physical.

I'm pretty stuck on a colour scheme but I did some basic shading. Only one person mentioned that they didn't like the arms but i've got little else to go on. The fourth leg is supposed to be there but any natural position I can think of gets it covered up.
Scyclant/Pyroak remix?

Despite the similarity, it looks quite nice.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

As you know, I'm a huge fan of your art. I love what you did with this concept too. Its not too Egyptian, it's not loaded with crystals, and it doesn't look like it's going to smash you with physical attacks like normal run-of-the-mill Rock types. I have two nitpicks however. One is, I don't like the purple. Try a lighter brown for the body and a whitish-grey or bluish-grey highlight. Second, what are those two by fours on its arms supposed to be? They look kind of odd. Other than that I think this is one of the best pieces submitted so far.

Also, please don't randomly bump your art, this is like the concept thread imo.

Just a design (God I have never drawn anything so ugly O_O) based on the inspiration ideas thrown around. It seems to be generally Egyptian so I went with that theme.

I will colour if the feedback is generally positive, improve a few things or just chuck him back into the rubble lol.

A few things: Essentially there's a rock / fossilised propeller on his back, powered by the huge diamond. What better way to be speedy than to have wheels? :D So I did a ball-like design for his body. As streamlined as plates of rock can get lol. His head is a mixture of sphinx and gargoyle, he has like a rocky helmet on (that includes the beak like structure).

And yeah. Kind of a 'advanced technology from an ancient era to protect the God shrines' :P
Did everyone miss this one? This one is probably my favorite right now. I'd like to see it colored.

tennisace

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Haha I was waiting for you to submit this. I actually like this a ton for this CAP, even though this is supposed to be Rock/Dragon iirc, it doesn't look like a dragon as much as some other dragons. Good work.

Hi there. I post a new version of Easter Island based pokemon. It's something in the middle, between the two versions.

Soon I'll post the new version of Gargoyle pokemon. Thanks for the comments.
Being a huge Metroid fan, I am forced to say that love this design as it reminds me of the Chozo. Very, very nice.

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
@ Lawman: Yeah, it's like a Chozo!! Thanks for the comments

_______

Ok, I really enjoy this process, and I liked the sphinx / griffin ideas, so.. I mixed.

I add some "crystal balls" and "rock arms". The tail is like a staff.

How many pokemons can I post?

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
lol

We were at the beach
And then we saw a rock
But it wasn't a rock
IT WAS A ROCK LOBSTER!
(guitar plays)
ROCK LOBSTER!
Yeah!
Hahaha

But really, that's a pretty fun idea to work with, IMO.

tennisace

@ Lawman: Yeah, it's like a Chozo!! Thanks for the comments

_______

Ok, I really enjoy this process, and I liked the sphinx / griffin ideas, so.. I mixed.

I add some "crystal balls" and "rock arms". The tail is like a staff.

How many pokemons can I post?
As many as you want.

I also thought of that piece by Kopie for this project. I am glad you posted it. Caladbolg's latest design of a gryphon/sphinx is also good. Despite the similarities, I actually like Kopie's better because of its pokemon-like simplicity.

Well, I apoligize for the suckyness but I'm not very good at drawing @.@

Instead of the typical egyptian pokemon, mine is an alien pokemon. It lived in a planet where the terrain was rough, and thus had to evolve to survive @.@.

I like Cerb's idea, but I'd have to agree that it needs to be less human-like.
Furthermore, I think it would do better if it looked a bit more gender-neutral.
It seems to feminine to me.
I kinda don't like Caladbolg's idea merely because of the fact that your sphinx drawing looks a bit like a legendary and doesn't reflect the normal-esque feel of "your average Pokemon."

http://img389.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rockspym9.png

Colour and all can change, I was just using what people were saying here for thoughts.
This is excellent as well! Good work. I'm torn between this and Caladbolg's ideas at the moment.

The little dots on its body (if you can see them) are there to make it have an ancient stone statue-ish skin texture. Hopefully that worked. I kinda liked how this turned out. =D Comments please.
This design stands out as well, but the thing holding it back, I feel, is the similarity it shares with Meowth/Persian with the tail. The face is exceptional, the armor is nice, and the sandy texture really sells it, but the lower half of it's body seems to throw it off somehow, like it's not quite a Pokemon.

Perhaps if you altered the tail and changed its default posture to something more animal-like, it would give off the right vibe. A posture like this, perhaps, though this is only a suggestion.

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
I kinda don't like Caladbolg's idea merely because of the fact that your sphinx drawing looks a bit like a legendary and doesn't reflect the normal-esque feel of "your average Pokemon."
Yeah, you're right. It's like a legendary.

By the way, Wyverii, yours pokemon's head it's like my grass/dragon fakemon, do you remember?

Well, not so much...xDDDD

I'm going to say we should attempt to bring back the Basilisk Idea from last CAP. It has a few things going for him

-Turns things into rock. Good flavor for a special rock type.
-Oynx is a rock snake. This could fit too.
-Not too hard to change it into a crystal based thing.
-A snake isn't exactly the strongest physical monster ever,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)